The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Great Story Of Local Kindness To Papiss Cisse

10:35 am, Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Four-year old Sam Livingstone sent Papiss Cisse a ‘Welcome to Newcastle’ card, when the 26 year-old was signed by Newcastle from SC Freiburg in January.

Papiss Cisse with 4 year-old Sam and his sister (?)

It seems that the top Senegal striker has repaid that kindness,  by arranging a surprise and secret visit to the home of the youngster to thank Sam in person.

That’s a great story on the Newcastle web-site today, and Sam said he was completely shocked when he opened the door and Papiss was standing there:

“I couldn’t believe my eyes when Dad told me and my brother Jack to go and see who was at the door.”  “To then see Papiss Cisse standing there, well that was amazing.”

“That just doesn’t happen! ”  “He came inside, brought us some really great gifts and then showed us his car which was amazing. It was brilliant!”

His 7 year-old brother Jack, whose seventh birthday was last Saturday was there too, and also knew nothing about it:

“We didn’t know anything about the visit and it was just a great day for us.”

It’s things like this that the Newcastle players should be doing, but we know the players do many good things in the Newcastle community when they have some time off.

This is what Papiss said about it all:

“The welcome I have received in Newcastle has been incredible and I thank everyone who has helped me settle in. From those at the club to the thousands of supporters who I think are simply fantastic, I am deeply touched.”

“Going to see Sam and his family was just my way of saying a special thank you to a young fan who showed genuine kindness in welcoming me to a new country and new club. I must thank them also for the Easter bunny they gave me, it was very nice.”

Dad John was able to somehow keep the visit a secret, and was so grateful to the Senegal star:

“This has really made Sam’s year and I cannot put into words how grateful I am that Papiss gave up his time to come and see Sam, we are all ever so grateful.”

“Footballers don’t always get the credit they deserve for things away from the football field, this gesture from Papiss just shows what a genuine, down to earth and tremendous person he is.”

No news on what the little girl’s name is in the photo, and one other thing – since Papiss doesn’t speak much English yet – what did he say to them?

And a note to Newcastle United – send them all new strips with the Virgin Money logo on them.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Papiss Cisse

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I think ‘the little girl’ is Sam, Ed……… awkward…..

• 2 Shearer.Milburn // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM

What a legend!!!

• 3 Tramp // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

LOL. The little girl IS Sam!!! :D

• 4 toonincheek // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yes, a quick bit of editing is called for . . .

• 5 Londtoon // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ed, Think its the brother Jack!

• 6 Toon_Tom // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

HAHAHAHA- creased at that!!!

Girl = SAM

• 7 Papiss_Myself // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

LMAO!!!!!!
    Great story but well done Ed for making me smile. (Little girl).
    Poor kid will probably get a right ripping now if anyone that knows him reads this…. LOL

• 8 martoon // Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Nice to see a story like this rather than staggering outside a nightclub worse for wear.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

great story

• 10 Lee Dodd // Apr 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

This Guy is Going To Be A True Legend… How Good it is to see something Like This compared to a True Dipstick like Nile The Drunken Ranger … Every Geordie will Open there Door to This Guy !!!!!!!! He Shows he has a Big heart and is A True Superstar .

• 11 pbNcl // Apr 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Seems a bit odd to me if I’m honest. He don’t speak english and kids should never accept gifts off strangers : D

• 12 theleckworthbird // Apr 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Cisse is hardly a stranger and he will have a translator with him, but who knows, he is so brilliant he probably speaks the lingo by now.

• 13 HAMBO // Apr 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Lee Dodd, you should probably use some more CAPITAL letters….

previous post: What Will Newcastle Do With The Extra Money Coming In?

next post: European Qualification Curtails Another US Visit By Newcastle