News in the Daily Mirror today that Newcastle are ready to make a move for Swansea loan star Gylfi Sigurdsson, in the summer.
Gylfi Sigurdsson – has looked great for Swansea this year
We had a piece on Sigurdsson earlier today, suggesting that he would be a good player for Newcastle to go after, since he’s a good goal-scoring attacking midfielder, with a good record so far in football.
We have no idea if Newcastle are really interested in the player, but the Mirror report suggests that Alan Pardew was hugely impressed with the Icelandic International when Newcastle beat Swansea 2-0 at the Liberty Stadium on Good Friday.
The Mirror is reporting that Newcastle have already made some initial inquiries about the midfielder, who is on loan from German Club Hoffenheim until the end of the season, and Gylfi played there with Demba Ba.
It’s no secret that Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers would be very keen to sign the 22 year-old, but there will be other clubs also interested in signing the youngster, if only the way he has been playing since coming on loan to the South Wales club on January 1st.
Sigurdsson was named Premier League Player of the Month for March, and has so far scored seven goals and two assist in his 15 appearances for Swansea this year.
As we reported earlier today:
- Sigurdsson signed for Reading back in 2008, and played a total of 51 times for Reading with 23 goals and 10 assists, so this lad is certainly a productive player
- Gylfi joined Hoffenheom in August of 2010 on a four year contract, and for a sum that is said to have exceeded the record of £6.5M that Reading received for Kevin Doyle
- In the last two years he has played 39 times for the German club with 10 goals and four assists, and played for Hoffenheim when Demba Ba was there, before joining Swansea on loan in January
- The Iceland International joined Swansea because he was not getting enough playing time in Germany, and there’s no doubt this player has an eye for goal
- He will not come cheap, and it could take around £7M for any club to sign the player.
We hope the Mirror report is accurate in that Newcastle are interested in this player, because he looks very good, and he will only improve with more Premier League experience.
What do you think?