Alan Pardew’s Humble Beginnings A Strength In Management

It’s generally well known that Alan Pardew started life as an apprentice glazier,  working on the building sites in the City of London.

Alan Pardew – pointing the way at Newcastle

That’s when he was in his late teens in the late 70s,  but since then he has been able to forge a career in professional football, playing for teams like Whyteleafe, Epsom & Ewell, Corinthian Casuals, Dulwich Hamlet and Yeovil Town before moving to Crystal Palace in 1987, when he was 26.

And in his short management reign on Tyneside, he’s been more successful than any other manager since Bobby Robson, who with Kevin Keegan are the two must successful managers on Tyneside for the last 40 years or so – since Joe Harvey took Newcastle to the Inter-City Fairs Cup triumph in 1969 – a game I watched at St. James’ Park.

Alan has done great so far in his football career, and he is having more success at Newcastle than at almost any other club.

Alan was good at West Ham, and he had them a minute or so away from winning the FA Cup back in 2006, before that man Steven Gerrard equalized in injury time for Liverpool to make it 3-3, and they went on to win the final 3-1 on penalties.

Alan has given a very long interview with The Manager, which is the official trade magazine of the League Managers’ Association, and the piece is titled North Eastern Promise.

Alan thinks it is important he came through life starting as an apprentice glazier:

“It was a very important route because you understand the workplace and what the media represents to the working man.”  “When I was a glazier I was reading the newspaper every day and that was my only insight into the football world.”

“When you play in non-League football you meet a cross-section of characters that you don’t meet in professional football.”  “You might have a company chief executive and a dustbin man playing side-by-side in the same non-league team.”

“So you come across many characters from different walks of life whereas in professional football you have football-focussed individuals who have based most of their upbringing on football because it was going to be their career from day one.”

“Due to the playing route that I took I’ve experienced diversity of character, so when I come across what may be classed as a ‘difficult or enigmatic character’ in the football world it’s not much of a problem for me.”

It’s not important how you start out in life, but it is important how far you can come based on your own abilities and determination.

I’m not sure that was the thinking of the old English class system in the early 1960s, but maybe things have changed from the time  I was growing up in Evistones  Gardens in Newcastle.

Alan Pardew has done great so far, and he’s an excellent communicator, and one of the best English managers in the Premier League, and yes – there are not too many of them around these days.

We have to hope that this is only just the beginning of Alan Pardew’s success at Newcastle,  and that there is a lot more success to come.

And I have to admit last night, while watching the Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid semi-final of the Champions League,  that I have a real hope that Newcastle can get to that stage of the competition  in the next few seasons.

That’s what I’m hoping for, and I may not be around when that actually happens, but I’m hoping Alan is the one who can take us there.

Howay The Lads!!

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

[repost]

@obatoyou

Each country has a fixed amount CL spaces. England gets 4. If Chelsea win the CL (which I very much doubt) and automatically qualify (as you mentioned) then the top three in the league + chelsea (regardless of their finishing position) will go through. The fourth place finisher in the league will be given a Europa spot instead.

• Ben3arfa

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Early on in his career he was lauded as one of the brightest young English managers, his career took a hit and he took a step backwards managing at League One .. I think he needed that to reduce the hype and get back on the right track ..

Kind of like our story as a club when we got relegated and got back to square one .

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Pardew: “Due to the playing route that I took…”

You mean when you turned down that Barcelona contract for Dulwich Hamlet! haha.

[cheap dig, sorry Pards!]

• keeleytoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

@ Wor, that was quite a good little laugh for my morning haha!

• keeleytoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17726376 Any one remember this? i was young but still what a game it was!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Congrats to Reading on their promotion to the EPL last night.

Looks like Fat Sam will have to settle for the playoffs, c’mon Chris Houghton.

• check the toastie

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Nice Article Ed – shows that Pardew has done it the hard way, and this is probably why he communictates with fans so well, think i might not be around to see NUFC in the champions league semis either Ed and im only in me thirties. Gud luck with your health and keep up the gud work on the blog.

• Munster Mag

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

You’ll he around Ed, keep up the great work and keep positive.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM

keeleytoon @5 – I was looking at the other categories NUFC & players have been nominated quite a few times. Unfortunately we also seem to feature in the greatest goals quite a lot but with goals against us 😉

• estechco

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

@5 – Albert’s fifth bring’s tears (of joy) to my eyes every time I see it. I think probably my favourite toon goal of all time

• russtoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

@ keeleytoon

DO I NOT REMEMBER THAT!!! I WOULD LOVE IT! LOVE IT IF WE COULD BEAT THEM AGAIN haha

That day and result in tattooed and etched in my memory for ever, hopefully days like that are not to far away again!

Alberts chip still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention when i see that finish, majestic and a big FCUK you to scumchester (although they obviously had the last laugh) haha

• keeleytoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Haha roll on the good times back ay! well we were nominated there a few times, even the arsenal match, even that is still a bloody good memory!

• stuart no9

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

ED is that the same evistones gardens in- St anthonys estate ? i grew up in belmont st. – does that ring a bell?

• Marty-Toon

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Hey Ed,
    I hope you’re still around to see that happen.
    We all love this blog n think you’re a top bloke.
    Wishing you good health and a renewed strength to tackle the sickness buddy