The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Players Like James Perch Are Important To Newcastle

10:03 am, Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Alan Pardew has brought in some very good players in his short 17 months or so at Newcastle.

James Perch – has played great this year
Cheer up James – it may never happen!

We always say that the measure of a good manager, a good coach, is to bring the very best out of the players you have.

Even I could be a decent manager if I was given hundreds of millions of pounds to spend on players, but on second thoughts – maybe not. :D

Chris Hughton is showing that talent against Birmingham City, and Alan has shown it in spades on Tyneside.

And it’s not only the new players who are over-performing well for the boss, but players we already had at the club – like Tim Krul, Danny Guthrie, Shane Ferguson and James Perch who have all played extremely well under Alan Pardew’s management.

We’ve become big fans of James Perch over the last few months, because he’s shown he can play a bit, when he’s deputizing for the “stars” and James is the type of player any club needs in their squad.

James Perch’s recent form will have been noticed by a number of Premier League sides, but we still hope he will stay at Newcastle.

This is what James has said to day to the local press:

“Whether I’m in the side or not in the side, I’ll still work as hard as I possibly can. That is the same for all of the lads, it is why we are doing as well as we are,”

“In the dressing room we have just got a good, honest bunch of lads. We all work for each other, no matter who is injured, who is out of the side or whatever.”

“No matter what the team is, we all know what the gaffer wants from us. The bare minimum is workrate and that is what we give the manager no matter what.”

“I love playing for this club. I’m really settled here and it’s perfect.” “I moved up here 18 months ago and even when I wasn’t playing last year and people were saying to me ‘You must hate it up there’ I was loving it.”

“I love the place, I love the town, the beaches and everything about it.” “Even though I wasn’t enjoying my football I love the place and I love the club.”

“We are not thinking about the Champions League or Europe or anything,” “We’re just happy to be here but we just don’t want to let ourselves down now. I know it’s a cliche but we’re taking every game as it comes.”

“We need to grasp the opportunity that we’ve been given but the way we do that is just by winning games and not letting ourselves get swept away by what is being said about us.”

James Perch has two years left on the four year contract he signed when he joined in the summer of 2010 for peanuts from Nottingham Forest, but there’s no doubt that his versatility has helped Newcastle this season, and he could be a player for Newcastle in Europe next season.

Maybe it’s too early to offer him an extension to the deal he already has, but it would be a good gesture to show that squad players at Newcastle are also very important to the success of the football club.

We hope James gets that new deal and that he will stay on Tyneside, as he’s shown this season he’s a much better player than we ever thought possible –  and there’s no doubt he’s a first class professional.

Sign the lad up – he is an important player in the squad.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Contracts · James Perch · Newcastle News

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Paps // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The way he’s filled in for our CBs is outstanding. A proper footballer. It’s the kind of passionate hard workers we need at the toon

• 2 Papiss_Myself // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I say extend his contract. Great player for us and deserves the recognition.

• 3 Dannyo // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Ye, give him a new contract and have him cover RB aswell.
    Will be good competition there if Simmo goes.
    Santon, Tav and Perch. Proper in depth quality there then imo.

• 4 martoon // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I personally think that full back is actually his best & natural position. Certainly worth considering playing him against Stoke to help combat their aerial ability. (I think that is the wrong aerial but you know what I mean!)

• 5 spitfire_ // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Jeez… he made couple of good games and already almost anyone start licking his behind. I’m still have goosebumps every time when he touch the ball.

• 6 wynsleap // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Sounds like a very contented player we have there and it shows in his recent composed displays.
    Players like Perch, Raylor and Guthrie are as vital to the club as the big stars as they can be relied upon to fit in wherever and whenever asked and put in a good shift.
    Keep it up James but don’t forget it’s a city you play for not a town. Little towns pretending to be cities are down the road!

• 7 Dannyo // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM

@spitefire
    After a long time out, he shows he can muster it at PL level, and he’s done so conistantly this season.
    He’s been working his way up over time, not said a bad word to the press, and he keeps hackin away.
    It’s not exactly as Barton is it?
    If AP still deem him not good enough, he’ll be shipped out, simple as that.
    And he’s had more than a couple mate.

• 8 Jonny // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The Europa League would still be quite tough next season with th likes of Inter, Malaga, Napoli, Lyon, Stuttgart, Twente, Sporting, any of the russians etc. potentially in it.

• 9 Burni // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Martoon, I do believe that is the correct aerial….

Perch has been a brilliant player for us since the turn of the year. Last year I was as nervous as spitfire is now.

However, spitfire, the guy has improved massively and has shown that he is more than capable of playing in the epl. When people perform well, they tend to get praised, and rightly so. No one is
    Licking his behind as u say.

Also, whoever said a few articles ago “can we have an article on perchinho?” you got ur wish haha

• 10 check the toastie // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Have said this before but here we go again, Perch has been excellent all year (exclude norwich unfair playing against big strikers with simmo for company), was even decent in his 1st game at home to chelsea, even though most the crowd collectively groaned when he appeared on the pitch.

Has played CB really well when parnering somebody who also plays that position and has out performed collo a few times (Swansea, West Brom), has improved our pace at the back and should now be most certainly in front of Simmo at RB, think he cud be really useful there, now he has come to terms with playing for the Toon.

He has been great lately, gritty and composed, wud love to see him play RB against Stoke. Spitfire what games have you been watching?

• 11 toonincheek // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Martoon – I do believe that is the only aerial.
    Except for washing powder.

• 12 spitfire_ // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM

@ Dannyo

Anyone shows good games from time to time… this doesn’t mean to gave him a new contract now… and just because he have 2 more years he should not must be given a new contract as you said before. Personaly I want him out asap. I don’t wanna have a heart attack every time when he thouch the ball.

• 13 Tsunki // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You are going to be hard pressed to last a europa campaign,without players like this. Sign him

• 14 Rotonda heights // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ed

Can we keep the ads silent???

• 15 Tsunki // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Spitfart – whats wrong with you mate are we talking about the same player, and if so, are you still catching up watching games from 2 years ago?

• 16 geordiesteve520 // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

@13 you’re completely right, I remember one of our last ventures in the UEFA Cup came to a disastrous end in a week where we lost both the semi of the FA cup and the semi of the UEFA Cup simply due to the fact we did not have enough players – I am not advocating just bringing in bodies but quality players like we have done recently who can both add to the quality on the field and the class/determination in the dressing room and Perch most certainly is one of those players. I would love it if we could snatch both Sigurdsson and Johnson in the summer too.

• 17 martoon // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Yes you are right lads that is the correct spelling – I was thinking that was the spelling for an antenna only but it is the same.
    Anyway to football – anybody looked at the nominations for greatest moments of last 20 years of premier league (on FA & BBC sites). The toon are featured quite a few times although quite often for goals against and of course the 4 3 against Liverfool but there is the 5 0 against Manure.

• 18 spitfire_ // Apr 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

@ Tsunki

Spitfart is your mother. And it’s not 2 years, it’s couple of months back. Cheers!

• 19 Tsunki // Apr 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Oh dear I seem to have upset someone. Sorry but i typed what i was thinking ha ha.

Seriously though your idea of perch is outdated nd inaccurate. And designed to irritate i think. That’s why i changed your name, to fit your opinion. My bad :-(

• 20 magpie6699 // Apr 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Like a lot of our players – Colo, Raylor, Yohan – he sounds very grounded and sensible. So nice to have a squad with that ethos and team spirit rather than moaning over-raters or prima donnas: I’m thinking Dyer (” Don’t care if I play or not, I get paid”), Barton (“I’m the best midfielder in England”) and even Enrique (“I’ll sign when we’re safe – no I won’t, I’ll keep tweeting and then leave”).

• 21 Lee Dodd // Apr 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Well done to him. He will never be a Colo or a Tiote but we can rely on him to step into defence or midfield and do a good job now. Turncoat enriqui was the same crap for 1 season then got better. Shame we only have 2 home games left …

previous post: Alan Pardew’s Humble Beginnings A Strength In Management