Pardew’s Management Philosophy Laid Out Plain And Simple

Alan has given an interview with The Manager, the official trade magazine of the League Managers’ Association.

Alan Pardew – has good philosophy of football management

The piece is titled North Eastern Promise, and in it,  Alan lays out his management philosophy, which he has used at Newcastle since coming in on Thursday 9th December,  when he gave  that first  impressive interview to the local media.

Two days later,  and Newcastle had registered their first win under Alan with the 3-1 thumping of Liverpool, and in the same fixture a few weeks ago,  we hammered them 2-0.

This is what Alan talked about in the article:

“First of all you start with your staff, because if they don’t have the same passion as you to convey the message,  then you are not going to be able to do it on your own.”

“You need a staff that can take the message forward for you and continue it when you may be away from the training ground, dealing with other club obligations.”

“If your staff don’t carry it through then there is a lack of continuity and it becomes ‘wishy washy’.” “If I saw a staff member ignore one of our players using a mobile phone in the treatment room and not dealing with the situation, then that staff member is going to be in trouble with me on that occasion rather than the player.”

“I’m reliant on that staff member to realize the significance of the culture we are building within the club.” “I’m very lucky that I inherited so many good staff at Newcastle United who have completely bought into what we are doing.”

When John Carver arrived as Alan’s Assistant manger early last year, he told the media it was clear who the boss was at Newcastle, and the Londoner seems to run a tight ship,  with discipline being at the forefront.

Alan continued:

“When a football manager joins a club, he needs to make sure that he is looking at the whole club and he’s putting down a foundation and a clear vision of where he is going, because that clarity and communication can actually buy you another game.”

“If you don’t do that and you lose four or five consecutive matches there’s a good chance that you are in big trouble.” “If the club can see you are trying to work with the budget that they have presented you with, trying to inspire people, trying to create a good work ethic at the football club then it might buy you an extra game.”

“If I was a chairman I think I’d want to hear that type of clarity coming from my manager from the outset, and what my manager was going to bring to this football club. I’ve always gone into interviews and said that I can over-achieve because I believe that I can by creating the environments where I can achieve.”

“Sometimes you are not given the time, issues can arise that affect things.”  ” If there’s any advice that I would give a young manager it would be to get the clarity of their vision and ability across from the start.”

“You must convey clearly and concisely the brand of football that you want to play and how you are going to achieve it. My brand of football has always been the same – to try to win the game whatever the odds, within the tactical game plan that we have.”

“This is usually on the front foot and making it very, very difficult for opponents.” That “clarity” has been the same at Newcastle – even if it hasn’t always been popular.” “I do think that the clarity of the budget is important,”

“Some fans may not be entirely happy with the amount we have to spend but at least they know the whole picture. When you look at the world economy and where football is at the moment, we’re seeing some really tough times.”

“We’ve seen examples of Portsmouth and Rangers in Scotland that show if you overstretch you are going to find yourself in serious trouble and you are putting the club’s future at risk. At Newcastle we’ve got a good foundation and a good financial model and now the question is whether we can bring success within that model?”

“That’s the challenge that I accepted when I joined the club and so far we are doing well and can hopefully continue to grow as we go along.”

Alan certainly seems to know exactly what he’s doing at Newcastle, and it’s interesting that when he first arrived back in December of 2010, the training grounds were frozen,  and Alan was forced to train indoors with the squad for the upcoming Liverpool  home game.

Alan got that fixed by owner Mike Ashley last summer, by getting under-soil heating installed at the training grounds, and Newcastle are now one of the few Premier League clubs to have that.

Pardew is keen to ensure there’s continuous progress made at the  Newcastle club, and there’s no doubt he’s made a fantastic start to his management career on  Tyneside.

Long may it continue.

Comments welcome.

• duncandisorderly

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So if we have under soil heating, why do we have so many more people out injured than most other clubs? There’s still something not right

• Colo-Sus

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Alright lads hope your all well!

Good interview as I’ve always said I think our vision is long term and Pardew is doing a great job, love that about mobiles in the treatment room. The Phil Jackson book is a great read btw

• 2_goal_tino

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

A) We don’t really have that many players injured. B) Those that are often did it in a game. C) With the likes of Marveaux and Ba – the only reason we got these players for such a low amount is because they are injury prone and we took a risk on them

• Toon_Tom

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Duncan – the reason why we keep obtaining minor injuries within the squad is very simple………………

They all train with Tiote 😉

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

duncandisorderly

It has been an inherent problem for as long as I can remember. It is either the cold North Sea air that surrounds the toon (but then why do the scum not have the same problem), we are either very unlucky or there is something fundamentally wrong with the training facilities.

However in some regard we do have a habit of buying injury prone players so maybe something is wrong there and this year most of our injuries have happened as a reccurence from old injuries or new ones formed in game.

Honest answer, I don’t know

• Pardew's fist pump

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

The greatest contributing factor to our success, is the respect, discipline, egalitarianism and professionalism AP has instilled. The small details like, making all the players shake hands each morning when arriving for training, having them all sit down together for meals, not budging for the likes of Ranger and Barton at the beginning of the season – we’ve gone from been a soap opera, to one of the most unified, focused teams I’ve seen in my time as a supporter.

• Toon_Tom

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I once saw Tiote kick a horse……………………………………

That horse is now a girraffe 😀

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Any transfer rumours?

• magpie6699

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

duncan – I’m not sure we do have more injured than other clubs these days? Check with any PL club and see how many have or have had long-term or even short-term injuries. My gut feeling is that we are probably average. Watching PL matches on Sky or MOTD, I seem to hear comments about ” unlucky with injuries” or “X is just back from a long-term injury and they’re still missing Y and Z”
    That’s why I wince when some people say we don’t need more good CBs because we will have Saylor back next season. Yes, but we could lose 2 to bad injuries any time – chances are we will have some crucial long-termers some time next season as well, just like everybody else.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

duncandisorderly @1 Throughout the season all clubs get their share of injuries and I would not say we’ve had more than anybody else. We’ve had Saylor, Manure have had Vidic etc.
    Colo good to see you back – how are things on the job front?

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I remember how devestated I was when we were relegated. It wasn’t so much the relegation more the shambles of a team we had. That wasn’t a team, we were not a club, it was my lowest point as a NUFC fan. But now we have the best team rapport in the leauge. You can tell because everytime we have been goinng in the wrong direction the team has pulled together and fought with passion, commitment and quality. I think in all my years, all the highs and lows, this is the proudest moment as a fan.

Yes in the past 20 years we have nearly won the leauge, the fa cup, we were in the champions leauge, semi final of the uefa cup and had some amazing times. But there is something about this team, this time in my life as a fan, that makes my heart swell with pride. In this era of £80 million pund players, £300 million sponsorships and £400k per week wages, to get where we are in such a small space of time is no less a miracle and long may the mircacle of NUFC continue. I think we are a step away from greatness, unparralled in the existence of our club. I just hope I am not the only one who can feel it.

Thanks to Ashley, Llambias, Pardew, Hughton and the coaches and players that have changed the fortunes of our once beligered club, the laughing stock of the nation not too long ago. If you can feel a smaal perentaged of the passion we fans fell for this club I know you will continue to grow with us and take us to where we (in no biased opinion) belong. Top 4 and challenging. Just 5 players and we can do it. I believe

• russtoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

@toon tom!!

HAHAHA, couldnt of put it better myself really made me chuckle that mate, good one!! haha

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

@Beattie25

Same

• matias

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Magpie 6699 and others. It seems we do have more injured players than any other PL team:

Not sure about the reason for this of course.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Beattie @ 11 and your Hollywood film post on the last blog – I don’t know what you have been drinking but I want some. Perhaps overdosing on OV 🙂

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@matias

most of those players are available for the Stoke game.

• duncandisorderly

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I run a fantasy football league at work and Newcastle have consistently been at the top of the list all year in terms of players out …
    At the moment, ignoring ineligible players we have 8, Villa 9, compared to Wigan, Man City and Blackburn with 1 or 2.
    Certainly earlier in the season, I think we were playing a very committed game; first into every tackle, challenging in all areas of the pitch. I remember the way we out-Stoked Stoke away, and I wonder whether that playing style is partly to blame. I do think it’s something that the management need to address in their usual analytical fashion…

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Why the hell are thier adverts for Veet?

Everytime I refresh the page I get bombarded with a lady shaver commercial!

• jimmymagpie

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Marveaux was injured when we bought him, and whether that gamble pays off, we’ll find out next season. Saylor gets a lot of ‘impact injuries’, but that is the kind of player he is, always putting his body on the line. The players who worry me are the likes of Best, Guthrie and Vuckic, who seem to have difficulty in stringing a lot of games together, and most of their injuries are muscle or ligament related, which suggests an inherent weakness somewhere in the body and no matter how you taper training on an individual basis, you can’t protect them in matches. I know for a fact that Vuckic in particular is causing concern, and some doubt if he is up to the rigours of regular top flight football. His injuries are hindering his progress, and he is nowhere near the level they thought he would be a couple of years ago.

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

A lot of you have been talking about Marveaux

Is he back in training?

• Minato

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

@11

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• jimmymagpie

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Not far off full training, but I doubt if we’ll see him this season. Saylor isn’t far off either, but Pardew won’t let him return this season.

• toonincheek

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Pardew must the most underpaid guy at the Toon.

Although I think he’s on a bonus according to league position, so he’ll do a bit better this year.

Long may it continue.

• Minato

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I think if Marveux is training he could be used effectively in the final few games as a late impact sub. If he can’t get through that then we need to plan next season as if he isn’t part of the squad.

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I think he is on the nufc official site training with the lads at St James Park in those pictures they release. Number 22. Looks likke he is back in full training?!

• rab

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I would love it if Villa went down after watching what their fans did when we were……

• Minato

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Yeh Beattie apparently he is. As I said said could be good as another option 😉

• Beattie25

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Looking at the bosmans this season I still think we could get a top 4 team for little money. It is truly unreal the quality coming up this Summer. Wingers a plenty and a few decent centre backs and midfielders. We may have to fork out for a full back but if we don’t spend any transfer fee’s elsewhere we could afford real quality in that position.

• Dannyo

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

@jimmymagpie
    I read Marveux will probably be fit enough to be in contention for the last two matches?
    And ye, we don’t need a reoccurence from Saylor. Rather just keep him out at this point. Not much for him to do really.
    Could argueably say the same about Marveux.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Beattie25 @18. A lot of adverts on this site are targeted at what you have recently been looking for on the internet. So either you or somebody using your computer has been looking at Lady Shavers.

• Dannyo

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

@martoon
    Or shaved…u know, the lady thing.

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

All I get are BT ads and Dettole ads….what does that tell me?

• Dannyo

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’m getting things on autism, winning ipads and chatting with russian women. Also ads about ads.

Long live diversity.

• martoon

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Dannyo – I never thought of that – funny how you did….:)
    Wor Shearer – maybe it tells you that you need to clean your phone!
    I was recently looking for a new kitchen sink and for the next couple of weeks ever blog page was full of sinks, taps and pipes! I think everybody gets the dating ads which seems to suggest that Ed thinks we are all single saddos. 🙂

• Wor Shearer

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

@martoon

Haha. Maybe the marketing people really do know what I need!

• Dannyo

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM

@martoon
    Haha, u cheeky git 😛

• 9

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Beattie @28 Could you kindly let me know where there is a list of Bosmans?

• check the toastie

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Just pleased Pardew started playing Benny instead of Raylor or else we may still be fighting it out with sunderland and scumpool.

You know what they say good players make good managers, gud chief scouts help as well.

Anyway well done pards for surviving 18 months in the job, keep your head down and keep those boys grafting.

• LooneyToon41

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

@1 plus others. More Injuries? Are you kidding me?
    I remember the Souness-Roeder-Allardyce days, and our treatment table was like a merry-go-round. Yes, we have a couple of long term injuries now, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

• obatoyou

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

cheik @ 38

I agree, was really worried about when Ben Arfa was gonna get in the team, it’s the moments of brilliance that have really helped us this season. That’s often what football is about, we can be gettin kicked off the park, like Bolton in the fast half, then the few seconds when a player like Ben Arfa gets the ball and sparks up a lively passage of play, wins us the game.

1 2 3 5