The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – Give Mike Ashley Some Credit

9:50 am, Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Alan Pardew is getting all the praise today,  for what he has done for Newcastle United this season.

Mike Ashley – was he partying last night in Newcastle?

But one of the things that’s obvious about the Newcastle club, is there is a great camaraderie behind the scenes in the way the Board, Alan Pardew and Chief Scout Graham Carr work together,  for the good of the famous Newcastle United club.

They are obviously all on the same page,  and understand the financial limits of the club, as they are getting even closer to balancing their books on Tyneside – while building up a top team at the same time.

That seems to be against the Conservation of Energy somehow (energy can neither be created nor destroyed),  since we seem to be getting something out of nothing.

But the strategy of the Newcastle club has been seen to work brilliantly over the last couple of years or so.

Pardew thinks that owner Mike Ashley is due the credit, as he told the Sunday Times today.

“Mike’s put something like £273M into the club and he’s not taken anything back.”  “Since I’ve been here I have not really shouted his corner. Politically for me it’s a minefield.”

“I want to keep the fans in a good place but I would say to them, before they get emotional about it, that Mike has invested something like 25% of his personal wealth in this football club.”

“Ask me for 25% of my money and you’ve got no chance. I don’t care how good your idea is.”

Ashley is still not popular on Tyneside, for some of  the things he’s done since buying the club almost five years ago.

But one thing is for sure, his financial expertise has helped the Newcastle club enormously,  and his investments in the Youth Policy and the Scouting staff have already paid huge dividends, and long may that continue.

Whether you love or hate Mike, he is due significant credit for what he’s done over the last couple of years – it’s hard to argue against that.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 lewytoon // Apr 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

i hope we sign erik pieters, he just retweeted me hahaha

• 2 Toon666 // Apr 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Haha nice – what had you written that he retweeted?

“He’s on his way to the Toon”? ;)

• 3 sirtoongospel // Apr 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I hope that Spurs scrap a couple of draws while they try to regain confidence. We did that and then edged Norwich in a game that the lads needed to try and get their confidence back. Then we went on a superb run.

I just really hope that they do the same, as if they draw 2 more, they won’t catch us. We will win 2 more games, I am sure of it.

• 4 Burni // Apr 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I have given MA credit a lot Starting from the relegation season, then I gave him stick for getting rid of hughton, Nolan, Carroll and Enrique. Shows how much I and nearly every fan who did the same knows. If we can keep most of the players we have now and we push on next season all is forgiven in my eyes. Also, I will never, second guess him again. But I think I will have to reserve judgement until then.

• 5 sirtoongospel // Apr 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Oh, and for the time being, Ashley has proved himself right (other than the SJP thing) and long may it continue. I just hope that he builds on what he has achieved. He got rid of the problems the club had. And fair play to him. We don’t have these problems now though. We just need 4 or 5 who can fit in and work hard.

So fair play to you Mike, but please don’t blow it!

• 6 toonincheek // Apr 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I’m not anti-MA, but
    Sorry, but I can’t give so much credit to MA.

He has set a hard business model that makes good financial sense – that had to be done – but the success comes from Pardew, his influence on the team and getting the best out of them and the backroom staff.

If setting a strict financial model was the key to success, then success would be easy.

I’m very very happy with our current position, and I give credit to MA for backing Carr & Co. in forking out for the likes of Cisse, also for the interest-free loan and supporting us when we were relegated, but our current success is mainly down to Pardew and Carr (plus ALL their background support).

Although – success is all the sweeter for it being achieved the right way.
    I’m glad we don’t have an owner that just throws money at a problem.

• 7 MAApologist // Apr 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I feel the thing with MA is he does not court popularity.
    You don’t make a billion by being everyone’s best friend or being their puppet.
    Although it was a steep learning curve as it would be for anyone buying a club especially one as in the spotlight as ours, he has done what he knows best put together a business plan, put the right people in the right posts, put on his body armour and stood back.
    Why don’t we surprise him by giving him the credit for this – I know some will say he lucked out – you don’t do what the team has done this season with only luck.
    Also the long term planning (a phrase never used before with NUFC ) looks good to me.
    Yes we may lose a player now and again to a “bigger” club – by bigger I mean richer, because if we continue to improve as we have this season we will be in with the big boys and I believe that is what MA wants.

• 8 woolerbill // Apr 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Alan
    Mike ashley is filling his pockets at Newcstle, directors do get paid and he will have set his very high, who can stop him. Every think ashely has done here has been for himself

• 9 thebionicMAG // Apr 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM

@ 6 toonincheek

With respect toon Ashley appointed the very man you are praising our good fortune for.

• 10 thebionicMAG // Apr 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I remember an interview Ashley did with the tabloids about 3 years ago. He said he wanted a team that could take on and thrash Chelsea. Well we are thrashing them in the league, lets hope we do it at Stamford Bridge cause im sick of us getting beaten there.
    Anyway could we please just give the man an ounce of credit and show our appreciation at the next home game. I mean what is more likely to get him to invest more money in players…us chanting his name in support or singing you fat cockney b@stard get out of our club?

• 11 thebionicMAG // Apr 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Woolerbill

You think Abromovich invested in Chelsea to please the fans? What about the Sheiks at Man City? Think they were saying “hey Man Citeh fans are so cool, lets invest half a billion pounds to cheer them up cause we really respect them…”

• 12 geordiejamie89 // Apr 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Top owner. If I get to watch a team called Newcastle United in black and white winning more often than not, not being beat by Sunderland and finishing above them and Liverpool, I’ve not got much to moan about.

• 13 moonraker // Apr 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think it would be a great gesture by the Toon fans to acknowledge Ashley’s contribution when he’s next attending a match. We are a unique crowd and should now accept what he’s done and give him praise. We are big enough to eat humble pie and are back where we belong. It’s his money that’s done it. What does anyone else think?

• 14 moonraker // Apr 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

woolerbill
    Ashley’s not a director he’s the freakin owner and he’s about £200 million down. Yes he’s doing it for himself but we are benefitting from the success. I know we pay for that but that’s our choice as well. Long may he remain with us we have to acknowkedge what he’s done; it hasn’t happened by accident and I dont see any Michael Owens on board. Great time to be a fan :-)

• 15 moonraker // Apr 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Probably the single most significant event in recent history of the Toon was selling AC to the scousers and totally shafting them. It has changed the whole perception of the two clubs; they are now the clowns and we are the acrobats.

Dalglish has been embarassing in his interviews whilst Pards has been respectful and modest in success. We are no longer inferior to them and long may it continue.

This goes way back to 1974 for me when they murdered us in the cup final at wembley with KK scoring 2 goals. This continued in the nineties when they ended our title hopes with the 4-3 result. I was at those matches and dont think i’ve ever thought of us being superior to them till now. HWTL

• 16 thebionicMAG // Apr 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Spot on geordiejamie & moonraker. :-)

• 17 stuart no9 // Apr 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

the bionic mag @ 10. you have just summed mr ashley up in 1.” chant his name and he will buy more players” ok – dont chant his name and call him a fat b…..sd! what then ?. ” he will get us back ?”. by not buying more players”? – its HIS club ffs. why should it bother him or influence who he buys for HIS club, coz we call him a name, what a load of pure c,,p. A very childish attitude to have for an adult????????. I wouldnt think like that , would you? i got past that stage at about 12.

• 18 bills-son // Apr 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I well remember being called deluded (amongst other things!) when I said 18 months that Ashley was the best owner of NUFC in my 50 years as a supporter. Now its fans like woolerbill and stuart09 who are deluded in thinking that our current success has nothing to do with Ashley.

It is only now that we are serious Champs Lge contenders, with our flair players bang on form and Pards managing the squad brilliantly that fans are truly starting to see the big picture of the new strategy that Ashley started to put in place after we were relegated.
    Make NO mistake, where we are now has nothing to with luck. It has everything to do with Ashley’s planning, strategy, ambition and determination.

The buck ALWAYS stops with guy at the top. ALWAYS. It wasa Ashley who appointed Hughton instead of fans favourite Shearer. Ashley who replaced Hughton with Pardew, Ashley who screwed LPool for £35M for AC, Ashley who set the transfer policy of finding quality players at low prices, Ashley who dictated that we should buy the majority of foreign players from one country so that they could communicate and have the same culture (unlike say Citeh where its like the United Nations), Ashley who has cut the wages to turnover ratio from a bamkruptcy heading 80%+ to just over 50%, and Ashley who has lent the club £140M interest free.

The most repeated ctriticism of Ashley from fans and the press has been his perceived lack of ambition for NUFC. WRONG, WRONG and WRONG again.

Ashley is HUGELY AMBITIOUS for NUFC.

His policy of not paying rediculously high fees and wages for overrated players has been interpreted as unambitious by those who don’t understand Ashley’s strategy. HBA, Tiote, Ba, Cabaye, Santon and Cisse especially have proven you can buy half a Champs Lge qualifying team for £10M LESS than LFool paid for Carroll.

I couldn’t give an S H I T what we pay for a player – its how he performs that counts. Try telling that to Shephered who thought big money + big wages = top players. He was wrong 80% of the time.

So let’s show our true Geordie colours and give Ashley some credit.

Remember, when he first came he wore the shirt, drank in the Strawberry and stood on the terraces with the fans. How nany owners have done that? Nor the Americans at LPool, the Yanks at ManU or the sheiks at Citeh thats for sure.

And why did Ashley do that? Because he’s one of us, he’s a FOOTBALL FAN, which the aforementioned owners are not.

Yes he made mistakes early doors, yes he wanted to sell the club … BUT since he decided to keep it after relegation he has been determined to make us successful. AND IT’S WORKING.

Everybody, you, me and even a hard hearted businesman like Ashley likes to be appreciated for doing their best. Apart from the renaming of the ground there isn’t a decision Ashley has made in the last two years that, although controversial and widely criticised at the time, hasn’t turned out to be RIGHT.

I am absolutely convinced that if Ashley heard his name chanted in appreciation – yes I KNOW THAT IS ALMOST UNTHINKABLE TO SOME FANS – he would redouble his efforts to bring success and a trophy to our beloved Toon.

He is is still that same guy who wore the shirt, drank in the Strawberry and stood on the terraces. He’s made mistakes, but he’s gone a hell of a long way to saying sorry in his own way. And that way is not to spout off, not to criticise the fans to journalists, not to laud it because we are doing well. No – Ashley’s way is just to let the team do the talking for him. That is the class way to do it.

ALAN PARDEW … manager of the year by a mile.

MIKE ASHLEY … owner of the year by a million miles.

• 19 stuart no9 // Apr 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

billson- you shouldnt have to shout his name, to “redouble his efforts” its his club. he should be doing everyrhing in his power to make HIS club a success, that comes as standard when you own a football club i’m afraid .

• 20 thebionicMAG // Apr 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

stuart no9

Less of the personal insults. Remember when the fans turned on Ashley he put the club up for sale. I’m simply saying his love affair with the club would blossom if he was held in high regard. He is pumping his personal money into the club. If we treat him as an evil outsider and dont appreciate his contribution he is lesss likely to want to invest anymore than is necessary. Thats just my opinion. If you think thats childish then please go ahead and wallow in your negativity. Agree with me or dont agree, I couldn’t give a monkeys but please keep your negative insults to yourself. Anyone can act the hard man behind a laptop but i guarantee if you saw me face to face you’d be a lot more respectful.

• 21 cupiddstunt // Apr 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Woolerbill @ various posts

Your are a knobhead of the first order and it is knobheads just like you that give decent NUFC supporters a bad name.

MA has invested millions of pounds of his own money not that from his company but out of his own pocket as it were, his own personal money, as Ed has pointed out about a quarter of his personal wealth.

We as a club have one hundred plus millions from him in INTEREST FREE loans which means he is losing about 6 to 7 million a year in l lost interest on the said loans and you stupidly claim he is filling his pockets???? What a f*****g moron you really are.

The benefits we are seeing in the club come directly from him you braindead he employs AP and GC regardless if AP was his personal choice he sanctioned the contract on him so HE employed AP so we benefit from MA’s decisions and running of the club.

God I am constantly amazed that people like you are able to stand up without falling over I bet you consider the act of putting one leg in front of the other while walking as multi-tasking.

• 22 nickybutttt // Apr 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

i’ve been always backed mike ashley,

• 23 solano // Apr 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM

titdudspunc…you still haven’t got your head around what constitutes profit/interest/loss have you? You insult other people and can’t even get your head around the basics of economics! How is your hero LOSING out on interest? It is a debt! He is protecting his purchase. Whether you are pro or anti Ash, surely someone with a modicum of intelligence can see this?

• 24 solano // Apr 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM

dicspudnutt.. I hope you haven’t been let loose with a credit card….you’d be thinking you were making loads of cash! ;-) Moron.

• 25 Owldman // Apr 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM

MA has set the club up financially to meet FIFAS directive that all Pemiership clubs should not spend more than they earn weather teams like Man U, Man City or Chelski stick by the rules remains to be seen, but a points deduction might just bring them in line

• 26 Owldman // Apr 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Michael Owen one of the the limpets on the Ar–holes of life he screwed us for a fortune then swanned off to MAN U to do the same We payed £15 million for him & got nowt in return.If Freddie the scrap man had still been in charge God Help us another Leeds or Portsmouth,ThanksMike Ashley for saving my beloved Toon from extinction. Mike actually saved this club from going into administration

• 27 stuart no9 // Apr 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

the bionic mag @20 for a start – learn to read. the ” childish attitude ” was directed to ashley not you. there were no personal insults. 2nd – i am the same behind a computer as i am face to face , believe me. 3rd . i dont turn nasty and violent when losing an argument 4th if you dont like my posts -dont reply if it makes you violent, learn to stay calm in a debate , that way it looks like you know what you are talking about ,even if you dont.

• 28 hounslowmag // Apr 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I cannot remember feeling as proud of being a Mag for years! This squad has breathed new heart in to our club and city, and the management of the club had played a pivotal part in our success this season.
    MA bought the club at a time when we were (allegedly) months from administration. We had revelled in the ‘trophy’ signings who failed us and had succumbed to Shepherd’s obsession with fame and newspaper coverage. He bankrolled the signings and contracts of a number of total mercenaries, which, I hasten to add, we were still paying for after the greedy likes of Owen/Luque/Martins/Duff etc. had left the club. Shepherd treated our club like a computer management game, thinking that he could turn it off and the financial mess would go away!
    MA inherited a financial minefield. His main mistake was that he tried to be a ‘fan’, ingratiate himself by bringing back KK in some populist move and bringing in the Cockney Gnome to spearhead our scouting network. If only Graham Carr had been appointed then!!??
    It sounds strange, but I think the best thing that happened to us was relegation. We got rid of the money-grabbers and brought in a brand new ethos, based on teamwork, skill and pride! MA’s financial plan is starting to pay dividends. We are the envy of so many clubs,reputedly about to break even or make a profit in a time of universal austerity! Our scouting network has enabled us to bring in ‘true professionals’ who are as passionate about our club as we are! That could be seen again on Saturday; Cisse’s reaction to his disallowed goal was fantastic sportsmanship and the attitude of Perch and other peripheral players is outstanding.
    I am so proud of the lads, the management and the owner for putting us where we are! It will come home to roost to the other so called ‘top’ clubs when they have to produce their accounts to FIFA!! We will be plain-sailing!!!

• 29 thebionicMAG // Apr 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Actually Stuart I re read your post and you are right, it was directed at Ashley so I apologise. I miss read the intention totally. I dont know why you thought I was being ‘violent’ so I would urge you to re read my post. The part where I said if you saw me face to face I guarantee you would be more respectful literally meant that. I have been in many bars and spoken to loads of fans up and down the country nobody is ever disrespectful, why? Because its face to face. Here online its the total opposite throw nasty personal insults every which way it really p_isses me off but I now understand you were not guilty of that.

I still think credit where credit is due to Ashley though.

• 30 stuart no9 // Apr 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

bionic – no hard feelings mucker. – misunderstanding, that happens sometimes. i never insult anyone on here. as for ash.? i will wait till end of season before i make judgement ( you know what i mean)

• 31 thebionicMAG // Apr 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Cheers Stuart you’re a gent! :-)

previous post: Alan Pardew Has To Be Manager Of The Season