Australian Defender Edges Closer To Newcastle Move

News today that Curtis Good, the Melbourne Heart 19 year-old center-back, has had his trial at Newcastle extended.

Curtis Good – trial extended to end of this week

Good left Melbourne at the end of  the A-League season,  for a 10-day trial with Newcastle, who are surging the the English Premier League and are in 4th position above Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool, and they could make the European Champions League next season.

A Europa league position is already guaranteed for the Newcastle club, who are the in-form team in England at the moment.

Curtis impressed in his first season in the A-League,  and the 6’2″ left-sided central defender is a powerful, ball-playing defender.

Good arrived on Tyneside on 15th April, and was scheduled to leave Newcastle early this week, but he will now be staying on Tyneside through this Friday,  so that Alan Pardew and others can take a closer look at the youngster.

The 19 year-old had this to say on Newcastle’s web-site:

“It’s just a short trial. I’ll just train and play games, and if they’re happy, I’ll hopefully get an offer, but if not, then I’ll just enjoy the experience,”

Good has played around 25 times for Heart and he was a standout in the A-League last season for one so young,  and in his first full season down under.

Newcastle are always on the look-out for good young players (excuse the pun),  so this is good news for Good (it’s getting worse), but the extension doesn’t necessarily mean Newcastle will offer him a contract.

The standards at Newcastle are rising all the time, but the lad has obviously impressed the Newcastle coaching staff over the last 10 days.

Curtis tuned 19 only last month, and has played 3 times for the Australian U20 side, and he would be one for the future at Newcastle.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ollieh51

Aye lad, but U are missing my point..stats mean f all.. I am not bashing simmo as I quite like him, but I would like you to use a better argument other than stats wen justifying the reason to keep simmo…for example, those simmo stats say he has put in more crosses into the box than any other rb. Ok fair enuf..but how many of those where good crosses?? How many of those led to goals?? Only one I can think of v Everton and that cross was awful..luckily an Everton player put it in their own net.. See what I mean about stats, they don’t tell the whole story
    Last season nzogbia was 2nd only to messi as the player who attempted and completed the most dribbles in Europe!! Did I see the likes of man city etc lining up to buy him?? Again I am not bashing simmo I am utterly grateful for his service to the team, and I hope he signs a new contract, but it winds me up people using stats to back their arguement
    He is another for you..last season downing put in the most crosses in the box and had one of the highest cross accuracy in the league…KD bought him as he felt downing wud bring the best out of carrolls heading ability.. How many assists does downing have..even playing with Carroll. We should not use stats yo justify a buy or to keep a player, as they mean f all..

again I stress, I am not bashing simmo, I want him to stay, but the stat argument holds no water IMHO

• Ollieh51

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

@ Tarie4 – 100% understand your point.

Downing is a winger, he is meant to get assists and chip in with a few goals.

He has hardly ever done that througout his career though? Best league stats for him he got about 7 goals didn’t he?

N’Zogbia last season looked awesome and scored a fair few goals and even we (on the blog!) were toying with the idea of him coming back here.

City wouldn’t have bought him as it would never have appeased their fans and they have Johnson that could do a similar job and Silva that he wouldn’t have displaced?

Simo is 1st of all a right back and my understanding is that the ratings look more at defensive qualities?

You can’t argue with the stats/science, otherwise that would mean that Cissé’s 11 in 10 games stat isn’t that big a deal?

• check the toastie

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Reading between the lines tarie4 thinks Stats are the Bees Knees.

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

tarie4

What the hell are you on about, “stats mean f all”!?

How did you work that one out, by using stats?

Your entire argument against the use of stats…is stats based….without the actual stats to back your argument up. “How many of those were good crosses?” STAT. “How many of those lead to goals” STAT. “How many assists does Downing have?” STAT.

“the stats argument holds no water”…the world revolves around stats. Regardless of whether something is pretty or ugly to watch, stats show the product. You’re arguing between fact and opinion. I’ll take my facts and leave opinion on the side when deciding who should be staying and going thanks.

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

@Ollieh51

here here, common sense spoken for once on this blog.

Everyone loves Cisse’s ‘stats’. People are blind, they use stats when it suits them supporting their argument then refuse to believe that stats are a valid argument when they go against their argument. Stats show everything.

• Tom4Nufc

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I think we should all stop being so confrontational, respect each others opinions, take a step back and chill!

Personally, I feel Simmo is a good, underrated player. How many time this season has he been in the right place at the right time to clear the ball off the line?

Get him signed up, and have him and Tav fight it out for the starting place.

If that happens then I think all we need is 1 or 2 centre backs, and a young left back (or maybe just Shane Ferguson).

With Demba Ba allegedly close to signing a new contract and Simmo’s ongoing negotiations it interesting times in the Toon!

• Tom4Nufc

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

(that was to sort the defence out of course, not the rest of the team!)

• Pardew's fist pump

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

An insight into Amalfitano, very good in-depth article, including a few videos of his goals and assists, this season – http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2012/02/26/romain-amalfitano-newcastle-bound-midfielder/

• catchy in norway

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

tarie4

i get your point fully, and for me its not bashing players, but saying the truth, as a club if we want to move forward we have to see where the weakness is in the team and try and get better players for that position,

simpson, isnt a bad right back but would any of the so called big clubs have him as there right back, i dont think so, i personally think santon would be a better RB, with fergie on the left,

would i keep simpson, yes, but he would not be my first choice rb,

the club is on the verg of getting into the champions league, we have 7 players at the club that between spurs man u man c che ars would love to have them at there clubs, that leaves 4 places in our team that make us weaker, but 1 of those is santan who IMO will come good, just right now he is young and new to the league, but you can see he has the abilty,

and if you think we are bashing players, why is that the club is trying to seek better player for these positions themselfs,?

• Toon_Tom

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Statistically you all confront eachother too much!!!!!!

This summer I feel will be one of the clinical in recent years, with very limited outgoings (Xisco,Ranger,Lovas) and retain the majority of our squad, and bring in some top quality additions and some young-guns to fight it out.

Exciting times!!!

HWTL

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Mc-Toon

well as I metioned earlier those stats on say that simmo is the best rb in the premier league, is that a fact? Do U agree with that??

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

also those stats sed nzog was the 2nd best dribbler last season, those stats say Leon Britton has a betters pass accuracy than xavi, dies that make him a better player

• catchy in norway

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

sometimes you carnt use stats, you have tou use your eyes,

stats carnt tell you that the player reads the game,

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

@tarie4

Again, you’re aguing fact vs opinion.

Statistically Simpson is the best RB in the league, FACT.

Regardless of whether myself or anyone else agrees, that is a statistical fact.

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am here to defend my good name against the onslaught of abuse aimed at me by jimmyxavi

You sir are a cock first and foremost.

How can you say you have more footballing knowledge than me just because you played for some under 12 school girl team, I mean c’mon man get a grip.

Secondly sir if you actually bothered to read my posts you’ll find that my opinons of Simmo border on the more neutral side of the grass as I actually don’t think he is tha bad, I just don’t think he is good enough to retain if we want to push forward. Ask anyone who reads or posts on a daily basis and they will tell you thaat, whilst at times I can be tounge in cheek, I am pretty straight forward with my thoughts on Simmo and rarely deviate from my stance on anything.

I have said countless times that Simmo is decent but not good enough to retain a starting position if we want to transcend into a top 6 team on a regular basis. He is IMO a good squad player who could come in a do a super job but he is not suited to the team and often imbalances the side. You don’t have to have played in the girl scouts super cup of football to know that he is not comfertable in possesion also. Moving back to your point I think I recall saying that Simmo got lucky with his goal line clearences not with his positions. I said that there was an ‘elemant of luck’ to his goal line clearences as there is with all goal line clearences! His positional sense for a RB is pretty poor again IMO and I am just sorry that my opinion doesnt count as much as yours because of that football medal you won at your Haven Holiday you had when you were 7. Look buddy I would appreciate it if you got down of your high horse, apologise to me on the blog for being completely wrong and say that you respect all peoples opinions but your probably too busy playing fifa, creating yourself in the mould of Xavi and telling everyone about your amazing football career to even notice.

Simmo is decent but we can find better. That is my viewpoint as it was 3 years ago and remains to this day.

So please can you go back to playing your football top trumps in your bedroom on your own, jerking off over the signed picture you got from Lee Bowyer that time he visited your school and told you to ‘keep going cos you’ll make it’ and once you’ve finished, clean up and iorn your Barca shirt for tonight Xavi.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

People say lets improve the first 11, ok we got Saylor and collo as CB we have Jonas tiote and cabaye as the mid, we got ba cisse and Benny boy.. As the forwards and simmo and santoon as the full backs, just looking at that…here is 10 mill improve on that,
    I knw i wud relegate simmo and buy a new rb, what wud u do??

• Ollieh51

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I think the other thing here is that we are looking to replace what is already ‘statistically’ (Ha!) a very good player for us this season with someone of the quality that a regular top 4 team would be after?

These players aren’t all that common, we can’t compete with those teams on players so need to pick up the best of the rest which we certainly have done with the recent signings and push on from there.

These younger players we are linked with all feature regularly for their respective clubs, I can’t personally see how they would want to play bit part roles for us just because we are in the CL?

They won’t be the ones playing in the CL games and will feature more when fixtures pile up which is why Pards has said the likes of Vuckic and Sammy will feature more next season.

If Simo signs, we may not need another RB as we have Tav coming along well.

If he doesn’t he will be sold and then we will look at a replacement?

• GeordieToon89

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Btw from a couple of articles back, we will not sign a RB and a LB it will 1 or the other because Santon will be used in one of the positions and obviously weve got Raylor/Tavernier/Perch who can all play RB.. So imo we shpuld sign Pieters and a CB 1 of Chedijou/Douglas/Vertonghen/Alderweild

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Regarding the Xavi vs Britton comment.

It doesn’t suggest Britton is a better player than Xavi at all. It does tell us that Britton has a better passing accuracy then Xavi though. Whether that is statistically significant or not depends on the number of attempted passes etc.

You’re making wild assumptions based on one stat. A stat (if significant) tells us exactly what it tells us. Britton has a higher percentage of successful passes than Xavi. Nothing more, nothing less.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Mc-Toon

So you are saying simmo is the best rb in the league fact?? Hahahahhahaha do i see him in the pfa team of the year??? Hahahaha U are deluded mate

• catchy in norway

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM

for me cabaye is a great of stats gone mad

a few month ago, his stats read , ran the 2 most miles in the prem, had a good pass completion rate,, but in reality did nothing with the ball, but the stats looked good, now move the player higher uup the pitch, still runs for fun, but his passes hurt other teams, and now we can see what a real tallent he has,

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Once agin I apologise to my OV friends for returning to my own ways.

• LewSpi

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The word ‘stat’ means nothing to me anymore I’ve read it that many times in the last five minutes. Am I alone on this?

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Beattie25 aye we can do better than. Simmo way better, but I still like him as a player tho, but won’t be fussed if we replace him..

Mc-Toon
    As it is a “fact” that simmo is the best rb, if he doesn’t sign a new contract I guess we will be selling him to spurs or Liverpool etc..and not villa, or west brom, Fulham then?

• ThaiMag

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

If Simpson is statistically the best RB in the league, why didn’t he get into the team of the year?

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

@tarie4

Oh dear, the PFA footballer of the year team argument, really? You’re basing your argument on people who names Walker as young player of year over Aguero.

I’m saying Simpson is statistically the best RB in the league this year, nothing more, nothing less. Whether I personally agree or anyone else does, the facts can’t be argued with.

Get an education.

• toonincheek

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

That STAT that shows Simmo being the ‘best’ RB in the league cannot be argued – but the basis for assessment certainly can be.

It really is a STAT on a very arbitrary basis.

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM

All this Cisse/City stuff is absolute nonsense. It’s probably just chinese whispers from Platt being at our game on Saturday – we’re playing them in 2 week, so it’s pretty safe to say that’s why he was watching us.

And jeez guys, are you really arguing about the technical definition of the word ‘statistically’? Bloody hell…

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Mc-Toon
    aye lad but aren’t U the one who said
    “Again, you’re aguing fact vs opinion.

Statistically Simpson is the best RB in the league, FACT.

Regardless of whether myself or anyone else agrees, that is a statistical fact.”

By ur reasoning Britton his a better midfielder than xavi FACT

You see what I mean about stats meaning f all..

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Why was Simmo not picked for the PFA team? What an injustice.

It’s ok though because the stats show that Barca, Milan, Madrid, Man Ure, Man Citeh and all the European behomoths will be queing up to take the best RB in the leauge.

Oh wait, maybe it’s beacause he has played more games than any RB in the leauge so his stats will obviously be higher.

mmmmm…… I wonder what the stats would look like if Sagna had played all season, if Ivanovic wasnt moved to CB all the time, if Richards and Zabaletta or Rafeal , Jones and Smalling not swaped aroung loads. Johnson for Liverpool was injured at one point. Phil Neville and Tony Hibbert rotated…

I could go on but my point is made.

Case ajorned.

• Pardew's fist pump

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Looks like this very good article has been overlooked, amongst the hissy-fits and squabbling. Go on, have a look, there’s even a mention of stats for you to bash one out to!

• catchy in norway

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM

in the team right now simpson and williamson are our weekest players, you dont need stats to tell you that, take simpsons 7goal line clearences away from him, he then falls into the average bracket, on some of those clearences i think he was in the right place , by this on the post where we would have had someone anyway,

but for all you who think simpson is good enough, where would you strengthen the team, which players do you think we could get better playes to do there job

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM

catchy in norway
    that is so TRUE, and when I say stats mean f all I mean that they can not be used to justify a player, simmo puts the most crosses in the box, how many of those a good?? Stats dnt say, they just say simmo put in lets say 71 crosses,

• 2_goal_tino

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM

This post is purely for academic reasons, particularly for mc-toon. Stats do NOT show everything. In fact, that is the complete opposite of their purpose. The sole purpose of statistics is to collate information and present it in a more accessible manner than in it’s raw form. Statistics are unable to capture the true complexity of a situation, in fact they actively try to simplify it. As such, statistics must only ever be viewed as a representation of reality rather than reality itself. Everyone is able to produce a representation that suits their ends i.e they can be manipulated. Every statistics has flaws and anyone denying this has clearly never used statistics above GCSE level. Does this mean statistics have no worth? Of course not, however it does mean that you shouldn’t let arguments be driven by stats, instead they should merely be used to support an argument. If ‘…the world revolves around stats’ as you say, then poor fool the world.

On Simpson- I think he is underrated, you can’t knock his contribution to the team, he gives his all and he’s a solid player. But, in an ideal world he’d be used in rotation or as a squad player next year.

• Mc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

@tarie4

Learn stats, then you’ll learn how to interpret stats.

@Beattie25

If stats are used correctly they should be a mean of data comparing 2 or more variables, not a total of data, so it should not matter how many games a player has played, its their mean performance in a certain action e.g. passing that is of interest.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Mc-Toon

get an education??? Really??? Haha ok, yes they may have chosen walker over Sergio, but my point is that if simmo was in that team, how many would agree with that?? Wud U?? Yes we can all agree Sergio deserved it more then Kyle but did simmo deserve to be mentioned??

• LewSpi

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Haha frustrating isn’t it Mc-Toon, whilst I agree with Beattie and the gang I am going to defend Mc-Toon.

I may be proved otherwise, but I don’t think Mc-Toon has actually said ‘In my opinion Simpson is the best RB in the league’

He said ‘STATISTICALLY, Simpson is the best RB in the league’

Massive difference. One of fact, one is opinion, and yeah there are loads and load ad variables, as Beattie said, he has played longer so he’s gonna have ran further etc. what you really need is Stats/Time.

For example, Cisse currently has 11 goals, if you were to look at the top scorers, you’d say ‘yeah, fair enough, he’s done alright this year’ but in reality he has a goal in every 66 minutes, TWICE as good as the next player, Aguero.

We understand that with stats/time, we wouldn’t with just a goal tally.

But again, I don’t think Mc-Toon gave his opinion whatsoever, he was simply writing down the numbers.

• catchy in norway

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

stats say liverpool had 59% of the ball against west brom, what did they do with all that possesion?

stats are good , we all use them, but, why is it that you/we only look at one side of them, to prove our point, but if we looked at the bigger picture , good and bad we would get a more acurate picture, and sorry, as much as i like simpson as a player and person, he isnt good enough for a team in the top 6,

• Kc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Anyone mentioned the likes of xaxi, iniesta, neymar, villa ect playing at St James Park in a couple of months yet, Cracking draw for the north east, Just hope spain and brazil throw in a few established players in their squads. I wonder if newcastle take the revenue aswell, sold out crowds for every group stage game mm

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

G’day fellow toon fans. Back on Simmo again? He’s become the new “should we be playing Ben Arfa” debate.