Coloccini So Loyal To Newcastle – Other “Stars” Were Not

One of the things that Newcastle just love about their captain Fabricio Coloccini, is that he’s been so loyal to Newcastle,  in his almost four years at the club.

Coloccini – Newcastle captain – so loyal to the club

Colo and his Argentine colleague Jonas Gutierrez elected to stay on Tyneside, when the club were relegated in May of 2009, while other players couldn’t get out of the door quickly enough.

Players like Michael Owen, Damien Duff, Mark Viduka, Seb Bassong, Habib Beye, Oba Martins and the like didn’t want to stay on Tyneside, and they moved to other clubs. We should point out that Owen and Viduka’s contract ran out in June of 2009.

None of those players have been successful since leaving Newcastle.

Habib Beye is now at Doncaster, having moved there when he couldn’t get a game at Aston Villa,  and Doncaster Rovers have just been relegated to the English 3rd division.

Michael Owen seems happy to do nothing at Manchester United, other than pick up his wages, and the now 32 year-old is simply wasting his talents by not playing football,  and he doesn’t have much time left in his career, which was awesome when he was younger.

Seb Bassong and Oba Martins are going nowhere currently in their careers at Tottenham and Rubin Kazan respectively.

We bet the lot of them would love to be back at Newcastle these days, but they didn’t help Newcastle in the three seasons in which the Tyneside club have made a phenomenal come-back to the big time.

I don’t want to be too hard on the players who left Newcastle three years ago, but unlike other clubs they could have earned the same money in the English second division,  that they earned in the Premier League.

But it’s now  history what happened, and it seems fitting that players like Colo and Gutierrez,  and some others like Tim Krul and Ryan Taylor, have just signed new deals at Newcastle, and that Colo has been selected in the PFA Team of the Year and he is now the Newcastle  captain.

It’s fitting that the players who stayed on Tyneside when we were relegated,  now get to enjoy the success that seems now to be just around the corner for Newcastle, starting with European competition next season.

And it’s not just a coincidence that the team spirit now is better than it’s ever been in living memory – and that’s a long time for folks like me. 😀

Things seem to work out for those who remain loyal – especially if it’s to a great club like Newcastle  United.

Howay The Lads!

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Mc-Toon

get an education??? Really??? Haha ok, yes they may have chosen walker over Sergio, but my point is that if simmo was in that team, how many would agree with that?? Wud U?? Yes we can all agree Sergio deserved it more then Kyle but did simmo deserve to be mentioned??

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Let’s not kid ourselves. If a substantial offer had come in for Colo, from a team that could match his wages, he would have been off.

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Mc-Toon

It’s laughable that you believe you hold authority due to some ego inflating knowledge of statistical data.

It’s good to see your putting that intelligence to use by berrating us idiots that know nothing you arrogant so and so.

Quoting the chronicle:

”He has made more clearances than any other player this season with 39. Branislav Ivanovic of Chelsea is his nearest rival on 30.”

Where the percentages there my friend?

”And in terms of being a hard worker, Simpson has racked up an impressive 173.9 miles – Walker of Spurs is his nearest rival but is eight miles off the pace”

Oooopppsss and again.

Analyise those ‘stats’ and tell me where the fact that Simmo has played more games that the 2 aforementioned players doesnt come into question?!!!

• Kc-Toon

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Anyone mentioned the likes of xaxi, iniesta, neymar, villa ect playing at St James Park in a couple of months yet, Cracking draw for the north east, Just hope spain and brazil throw in a few established players in their squads. I wonder if newcastle take the revenue aswell, sold out crowds for every group stage game mm

• LewSpi

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

TDS, I’d like to think he would have stayed, but I think I agree with you.

I’m gonna repost this because it took me ages to write it on my phone, ha.

Haha frustrating isn’t it Mc-Toon, whilst I agree with Beattie and the gang I am going to defend Mc-Toon.

I may be proved otherwise, but I don’t think Mc-Toon has actually said ‘In my opinion Simpson is the best RB in the league’

He said ‘STATISTICALLY, Simpson is the best RB in the league’

Massive difference. One of fact, one is opinion, and yeah there are loads and load ad variables, as Beattie said, he has played longer so he’s gonna have ran further etc. what you really need is Stats/Time.

For example, Cisse currently has 11 goals, if you were to look at the top scorers, you’d say ‘yeah, fair enough, he’s done alright this year’ but in reality he has a goal in every 66 minutes, TWICE as good as the next player, Aguero.

We understand that with stats/time, we wouldn’t with just a goal tally.

But again, I don’t think Mc-Toon gave his opinion whatsoever, he was simply writing down the numbers.

• WWJBD

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

TDS
    Haha u mackem!

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Are you joking TDS? Where are the stats to back that up?

In all seriousness though if that is the case then surely a player in the PFA team of the year will bring in a lot more than he could’ve earlier this season.

Do you think we will sell?

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Statistics are useful, of course they are, however, they don’t tell the full story, as many people have already mentioned.

I don’t think anyone on here has claimed Simpson is the best RB in the league, as he clearly isn’t. He has however, got the job done and played in all of the games this season, so cannot be called a bad player either.

If we’re to progress, the chances are down the line, we will upgrade. Simmo, if he wants to stay will still have a place at Newcastle. Not sure why we need to wind each other up or resort to name calling. Come on lads, embrace the joy of this wonderful season

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lewspi my old friend.

I agree that stats are a point of non-argument, my only argument is that stats cannot be used to change personal opinion.

You can manipulate the stats to give you a biased view of anything and if I had the data I could show you that Simmo is the worst RB in the leauge.

That is the truth of data, something that is man made and highly corruptable. Stats show that Demba Ba has been poor since the AFCON but in reality he has been unlucky and at times brilliant in his new position. No numbers were used to formulate that opinion just my own eyes.

• ToonDownSouth

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Of course we won’t sell him, I was talking about relegation summer. He’s just about the only player we can be confident will definitely be here.

Pardew’s fist pump

That link was excellent, thanks for that. I’ll repost it incase anyone missed it. Very nice assist on the first video.

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Given that it was around May last year that we first heard Mehdi Abied had signed can I be the first to confidently welcome Amalfitano to SJP?!

Welcome

• Beattie25

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Is anybody else having a problem recently where by you are automatically sent to another web site after posting?

Healthcare or something?

• Ollieh51

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM

@ LewSpi – Think it was me that started the chat about him STATISTICALLY being the best RB in the league.

Either way, MY OPINION is that we should try and hold on to him unless we have a suitable replacement that is ‘better’.

My only concern is that with Danny, you know what you are getting and he has done a job bloody well in my eyes and you’d have to shell out a hell of a lot more money for someone that would improve in that position.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Beattie25

Aye lad its quite funny

Mc-Toon
    I am currently a year 2 student at Manchester uni studying law and accounting, I did a module on statistics in my 1st year.. And I learnt that stats do not represent the TRUE reality. Every stat has flaws as I mentioned with the nzogbia or Leon Britton example.
    If you go back to my argument I said that I am not bashing simmo as l like him as a player and am grateful for his contribution this season and wouldn’t mind if he stayed infact I want him to stay.. But I sed that you shud not use stats to back you argument a position also shared by 2 goal Tino wen he say.
    “it does mean that you shouldn’t let arguments be driven by stats, instead they should merely be used to support an argument. If ‘…the world revolves around stats’ as you say, then poor fool the world.” (previous article)

That is why I had sed they mean f all (over the top yes) but stats should never be used to back an argument that was my original point.. 😉

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Beattie…I keep getting sent to a life expectancy in Spain website – starting to unnerve me slightly 🙂

• WWJBD

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Regardless of opinions on here on Simmo I bet my right nut he is our starting RB until the end of the season

And if he stays next season he will most likely be our starting RB for atleast half of our PL games

So why can’t we just get behind the lad?

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

WWJBD….is your right nut an attractive proposition for someone making a bet? 🙂

I think you’re right though, Simmo is our RB until the end of the season and like it or not, is “part” of the reason we are where we are.

• tarie4

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM

LewSpi

It was indeed Ollieh51 who said that, but what U shud knw is that me and I am sure Beattie do not dispute he is statistically the best rb in the league..tge article posted by Ollieh51 shows the figures, what we dispute is people using that to base their arguments!!! A la mc-toon. That was my original argument with Ollieh51.. That they should find a better argument other than stats.. That is the debate here mate 😉 not that he is the best rb in the league…

• wynsleap

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM

WWJBD – Why can’t we talk about something else?

• WWJBD

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza
    Well its always served me well though I think its pretty loyal might need romancing by the new owner 😉

Wynsleap
    Cos there little else to moan about it seems mate

• Minato

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Not usually one to get involved in “puff pieces” but definitely feels right to make an exception in this case.

Seems an age ago that I watched him in his first season with us and wondered if he would ever settle into the fast paced style of the premier league. When we were relegated I felt that he would be one of the first ones out the door..despite having a fairly bad season previously and having fairly high wages I still felt like he had enough of a reputation for someone else to take a punt on him.

To my surprise he stayed and as we all know the physical demands of the championship were in many ways the making for him at this club. A man who leads by actions instead of words, his importance this season only underlined by the injury to Saylor. Delighted when he signed a new contract and very much deserves his place in the premier league team of the season.

I was also really pleased to see the Jonas was also given a mention for his loyalty to the club. Personally I could not think of him any more highly than I do. For me he embodies the kind of work rate that has elevated this fantastic club to where we are now. In my view these two players were and are the foundation of the new Newcastle united and I hope to see them as part of the club for many years to come. All I can say to them is thanks and hope that their loyalty brings the kind of success that both of these exemplary professionals deserve.

• check the toastie

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Minato – totally agree, however statistically Williamson has been better this year.

• Minato

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Haha well to be fair if I went into how fantastic everyone has been this season it would take all day. I personally felt that Jonas in particular has missed out on quite a lot of due praise. In my view the ethic to put as much in attacking as you do defending started with him a while back.

• BonVoyageBenny

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Now seriously would you take any of the aforementioned players back? Personally, I’d take Bassong back but no one else. Looking forward to a strong transfer window…

• cupiddstunt

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM

ToonDownSouth @ # 2

And you know this for a fact???????

Collo has said more than once in interviews that after relegation he did not leave as he had something to prove to himself and the club like Jonas they needed to prove to themselves they were still good players and to the club that the club was right to bring them in.

They have since said that they want to play for NUFC in Europe which is another indication that they are not looking to jump ship.

His possible leaving in the relegation season is impossible to prove one way or another but you state your “fact” with such vehemence I am sure you have some proof to back up your claim?????????