The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

L’Equipe Reporting That Magpies Have Signed French Midfielder

9:19 am, Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

The French Daily, L’Equipe, are reporting today that 22 year-old Reims midfielder, Romain Amalfitano,  will be moving to Newcastle in the summer.

Romain Amalfitano – signed three year deal at Newcastle

Romain’s two year contact runs out in the summer, and the 22 year-old attacking midfielder could have already signed a pre-contract deal at Newcastle, and  he will formally come to the Tyneside club on July 1st,  when transfers are officially allowed.

That’s exactly what happened last summer with then 18 year-old Mehdi Abeid from Lens, who was also out contract.

Amalfitano’s contract runs out on June 30th, and he will become a free agent, although Newcastle will need to pay his club Reims some compensation, but that is not expected to be much.

L’Equipe is reporting there are various reports in France  that this lad will move to Newcastle, and of  course Newcastle’s name  is golden in French Football right now.

And that’s even more so over the last couple of months, with Newcastle playing so well and surging in the English Premier League, and both French Internationals Ben Arfa and Yohan Cabaye are in starring roles for Newcastle these days.

Amalfitano is said to be signing a contract for three years at Newcastle through June of 2015, and we expect him to be a good player having been scouted by Chief Scout Graham Carr.

Romain is the younger brother of  27 year-old Morgan Amalfitano, who currently plays for Marseilles and recently picked up his first cap for France in the 2-1 win over Germany in February this year.

Romain moved to Reims in 2010 from French first divsiion club Evian Thonon Gaillard , on a two year contract.

He has played 63 times for Reims in all competitions and has scored 10 goals over the last couple of seasons.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Tom // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Pieters is a bit injury prone isnt he?

With that in mind, and add the fact he will have to train with Tiote each day he could be broken quite easily!!!

Not questioning his ability, and we need a full-back but maybe he could become a sick-note on our books.

“just saying”

on Amalfitano – good business!!!

• 2 redondo77 // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I bet a lot of French players now hoping Graham Carr is in the stadium watching.

• 3 tarie4 // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ollieh51

Those same stats say Leon Britton is the best passer in the league…and at some point the best in Europe…better than xavi…go figure

• 4 bambams // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

One thing i have learned from the past 18 months is no matter what the rumours are re players we think we are looking at, we have constantly been shocked at the speed and ‘cloaked’ procedures used by the club.

I was at the training ground just after we signed Cisse and had cause to speak with a young fitness coach, he told us the only time the staff/players knew Cisse was signing was when they saw him walking through to the canteen at Benton!

All these rumours…… Time will tell

• 5 Robby Bobson // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Tom_Toon…hasnt the broke something though? I class injury prone as pulling your hammy every week, i excuse players if its a freak accident, cant accuse someone of having weak bones.

On amalfitano…Same age as obertan, same position, so they must think he can be an improvement because cant see them both getting in the team.

His brothers a tidy player so hopefully hes as good.

• 6 WWJBD // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

It isnt on NUFC website so it isnt official. Could be a decent signing though but I know (like am guessing most on here do) little about him other than he comes from the second tier of French football…tbh I expect him to be one of the reserve level players if he does sign but I could be wrong

• 7 Owldman // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Do we need another midfielder or is this preparing us for a serious push for more honours next season,or serious statement that we are not a one season wonder & mean to break into the top 4 big time

• 8 Robby Bobson // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

bambams…its amazing for a club that takes 12 months to sign a replacmeent striker, how quickly they react when they do get a yes.

When cisse signed he said he was just told then hes flying to newcastle now…he never knew a fee had been agreed or anything and we had a flight arranged. And Marveaux, he was in liverpool late at night and we had him signed and interview on nufcctv a few hours later.

Lee Charnley FTW.

• 9 redondo77 // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Rumours : Amalfitano, Corgnett, etc.
    Reality : Christian PAsquato :P

• 10 Solaidback // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

The injury to Pieters just shows he’s not afraid of tackiling hard, which is what we need from a LB, not someone who’s gonna back off all the time…

As for this young lad, lets hope he’s an addition & not a replacement for someone like Gutherie, who may be leaving this summer,…. we need to keep our squad together, tho if some what to leave, then I’m sure Carr will find suitable replacements over the channel :)

• 11 Owldman // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I suppose the French press & media is no different to our own! any story to sell papers even if they have to invent them.

• 12 Robby Bobson // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Out of contract in Reims, Romain Amalfitano will not stay in Champagne next season, even when mounted in Ligue 1. According to reports from France Football that we were confirmed, the 23 year old midfielder will join Newcastle, where he signed a lease until June 2015. In the eye of the Magpies for two months , former player of Evian -TG did not show such an opportunity pass. He will have to fight to get a place in a team that could play the C1 next season. – CO

• 13 Robby Bobson // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

the comments from the frenchies translate as…

“he has not at all level must stop! rather than going it it gradually changes from l2 or not he has hardly played this season (I’m a subscriber reims) is C1 with newcastle! must stop the delirium! that provides for coverage because it’s cold on the sidelines English!”

“They take it because it costs nothing but it will not play! I saw him play several times and it does not have the level to play in a top Premier League team.”

“I am from Reims, I do not want to criticize but it’s hard to hold a stage (I know he was injured) so that you voyer the bench four Newcastle I’m not going to succeed has to sil made a place on the bench”

• 14 Ollieh51 // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

@ Tarie4

Yeah, that’s fair enough but then passing the ball in the centre of a ‘passing’ team a lot and completing tackles as a defender are two different things?

I think for me personally it’s more that there are few options that would really make us a better team and the names being thrown about don’t look to be appropriate replacements.

People are looking at other RBs that are at these top clubs on silly money/untested potential players as opposed to more sensible options?

And Tav is said to be pushing for a 1st team place which suggest Pards has faith in him?

• 15 bambams // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Robby Bobson i agree, i am sure several bloggers on here have all got their sources who give the heads up. In the past due to my job i can speak with persons within the training ground and St James’ but even they find out nothing and tell us everything is kept under wraps.
    Its actually very refreshing and i had to laugh when i read Harry of the spuds had said they could of had Ben arfa and Cisse but decided not to.

I can guarantee that other clubs will be seriously interested in any players we are looking at now given our recent success in recruitment.

• 16 croftus5678 // Apr 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

not a problem he looks very good better than obertan and i think we all know he will not go into 1st team so we get a squad replacement and stronger in depth :-)
    if we improve our sidelines and reserves with more quality than we have atm next season we may just finish close to were we are atm :-)

• 17 tarie4 // Apr 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Ollieh51

Aye lad, but U are missing my point..stats mean f all.. I am not bashing simmo as I quite like him, but I would like you to use a better argument other than stats wen justifying the reason to keep simmo…for example, those simmo stats say he has put in more crosses into the box than any other rb. Ok fair enuf..but how many of those where good crosses?? How many of those led to goals?? Only one I can think of v Everton and that cross was awful..luckily an Everton player put it in their own net.. See what I mean about stats, they don’t tell the whole story
    Last season nzogbia was 2nd only to messi as the player who attempted and completed the most dribbles in Europe!! Did I see the likes of man city etc lining up to buy him?? Again I am not bashing simmo I am utterly grateful for his service to the team, and I hope he signs a new contract, but it winds me up people using stats to back their arguement
    He is another for you..last season downing put in the most crosses in the box and had one of the highest cross accuracy in the league…KD bought him as he felt downing wud bring the best out of carrolls heading ability.. How many assists does downing have..even playing with Carroll. We should not use stats yo justify a buy or to keep a player, as they mean f all..

again I stress, I am not bashing simmo, I want him to stay, but the stat argument holds no water IMHO.

• 18 Pardew's fist pump // Apr 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Not convinced by him, really can’t see him making any kind of impression on the first-team, but if Mr Carr recommends him, then I’ll just have to wait and see.

• 19 gazzaforever // Apr 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I dont get it, he s an average player , i m french, if you want more decent french players, you cant go wrong with capoue , debuchy, sakho, giroud

• 20 wynsleap // Apr 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM

tarie4. Will you stop banging on about bloody Simpson?
    Ed keeps putting up these blogs for people to have their opinions aired and all we get each time is an argument about Simpson.
    Give it a rest man.

• 21 Paps // Apr 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Where will he play? Although he is defo a decent player

• 22 JP...from The Rock // Apr 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM

From the little I’ve seen from this player he seems to be very comfortable on the ball and has a bit of pace. He should be a great squad player.

previous post: Newcastle To Bring In Three Top Defenders This Summer