web analytics

It’s Quite An Incredible Achievement By Newcastle This Season

John Carver has been given the local interviews today, and it’s probably fitting that he does that, following the announcement that a bronze statue of Sir Bobby Robson will be unveiled before the game at home to Manchester City on May 6th.

John Carver – everybody deserves credit at Newcastle

John was the Assistant Manager when Bobby had his magical five year reign as Newcastle manager from 1999-2004, and it’s good that Alan Pardew brought John back 15 months ago, to be his Assistant Manager, and it was a great appointment by Alan.

We are hoping that by May 6th, which is the final home game of the season, that Newcastle will have extended their winning streak to eight games,  with wins at Wigan on Saturday and at Stamford Bridge next Wednesday night, although that will be very difficult, we know.

John Carver has gone out of his way today to give everybody at the club credit,  for what has been a surprisingly stand-out season for Newcastle, and the lads are getting headlines around the world, for winning six games on the trot , and being so high up in the Premier League table.

John wants to ensure everybody gets the credit at the club, and quite rightly so:

“Bob will be up there watching us and be so proud of what’s going on at the club.” “It’s pretty fitting that we’ve qualified for Europe again.”

“And we’ll be unveiling a statue of him next Saturday against Manchester City.” “The timing could not have been better if I’m being perfectly honest.”

“It’s quite an incredible achievement when you think we were playing Championship football two years ago.” “I was working at Plymouth the night when the Championship was won.”

“Cast your mind back three years ago when we got relegated at Aston Villa, if you’d said that within three years we’d be playing European football somebody would have come and put a straight-jacket on you and took you away.”

“So now to be in Europe is quite an achievement from the football club’s point of view.” “Some of the players and backroom staff who were there then are still here now.” “It is an incredible achievement and it’s been achieved by everybody here.”

“The manager and his staff and the players get the credit.” “But it has been a massive effort by everybody – people like the masseur Micky Holland the masseur and backroom guys like George Ramshaw and Ray Thompson.”

European football in the Europa League is already guaranteed for Newcastle United for next season, and now the challenge is to see if the lads can somehow scrape into the Champions League for next season.

Given the official goal for the season was to finish in the top ten, Newcastle have already blown through that target,  because the worst Newcastle can now finish is in 6th place – which is a full six places higher than we finished last season.

And that will give Newcastle an additional £4.8M this season in placement money – since it’s around £800K for every place in the Premier League.

That’s some going for Newcastle this season – amazing really.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Not 100% Londtoon, but as you say, we wont know for sure until nearer the end of the transfer window (I think) whether or not we’ll get through to the CL group stages and can’t see them investing silly money on the what if.

In my opinion, they will continue to buy as they have, which in all honestly is European competition level talent.

Cisse, Cabaye, HBA, Santon, etc. I doubt highly they’ll start spending £10-15m on players anytime soon, of course there may be the odd exception.

I hope these ramblings make some sense…reading them back i’m not overly confident 🙂

• jimmyxavi

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Beattie25.. The man who uses wikipedia to research the clubs history and calls Jimmymagpie a cock a man who has been participating in this blog since the days you where a mackem.

Jimmymagpie has a right to speak about the clubs history as he has supported the toon for over half a century.. And you brand him a cock for doing so! Ever heard of respect your elders?

Beattie25

You sir are the cock!

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I think the fact that we can fill SJP in the current financial state speaks wonders of all toon fans who go week in week out. As check says, there are other priorities and it’s amazing the dedication and most likely sacrifices they all make to attend. Good job to you all and let’s hope you can spur the boys on for the rest of this season and beyond

• Indian Magpie

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Goal.com India ? @Goal_India Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    #Chelsea to pocket a record €55 million TV money from Champions League #cl

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Can everyone not find a better way to get their point across without swearing and name calling? Really?

Have a debate, discussion, disagreement or any other d word for all I care, but try and keep it civil towards each other…you’re not proving anything this way

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

hmmm…just thought of a couple of d words that perhaps shouldn’t be used 🙂

• pieceofpapiss

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

CODARM @38

It’s 100% going to change the tranfser policy. If we didn’t make Europe, Ashley would be happy paying out £5-£6 million on one or two players and bring in a few freebies. Now, you can expect to see £10-£15 million on 2-3 players and a 3-4 freebies. Building a young, cheap squad to at least make 2nd group stages in Europa league.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

If anybody sees Toon down South,tell him I said cheers for the link of the Stoke goals,which cheered me up no end.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

pieceofpapiss…if you are so sure then I will happily retract my comment. Personally I don’t see why we would pay £10-15m for quality when we’ve been paying a lot less recently. Ashley is a wealthy man, having more money wont change his purchasing methods imo. I do agree though, that on the right player, he will spend big. I just wouldn’t expect more than 1 at a push 2. Happy to eat my words though

• Vask

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Statistically it will change our transfer policy 200% in terms of investment 88% on player numbers, get your facts straight before you post pappis. 😉

• pieceofpapiss

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

CODARM

I can see your logic, and agree we wont be paying huge amounts for players, i just think the number of players coming in will be more. at least 5 new players this summer. Especially if we are to shift the dead wood still at the club. I’m also hoping Guthrie and Simpson sign new deals. We need that big squad.

• pieceofpapiss

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

@VASK

i was going to post 110% but retracted it in fear of mockery!!

I must go away and think about my actions.

I appologise 99.97%

😉

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Completely agreed at a statistically proven rate of 129.7826%. We need a lot more good players for depth and I fully expect to buy more reasonably priced players than a couple of high profile ones. Just makes sense with what we’re doing and where we currently are.

I think we’ll be extremely happy with the business we conduct this summer and should have another exciting season ahead.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

P.S. Unfortunately I have no solid stats to back up how happy we will be with the summer at this time.

• Indian Magpie

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

UEFA have also become hypcrites, allowing terry to pick the trophy. why are their rules.

• LewSpi

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM

“chris_g // Apr 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

It’s a pity you didn’t take your own advice before posting that nonsense. I don’t know how old you are but I think it’s a fair bet that there are quite a few people on this blog who were using computers long before you were born, and who are probably far more computer literate than you will ever be.

Did you even stop to think that the person who provides this blog for you is himself over 60 years old?”

I see my irony was lost on you.

• davybtoon

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Nufc won’t change our transfer policy, and we don’t need to it works so why would we

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

davybtoon….why indeed. A few more Carr wonders and we’ll be sorted. I am happy with the team now, just need some depth really.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Indian….haven’t seen an article. Is it that Terry can lift the CL trophy in they win despite being banned from the game?

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Fair play to our once portly owner for putting up a statue of SBR.

• Vask

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I see my irony was lost on you.

Best defence ever.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

if they win*

Happening too much today…perhaps I should slow down a bit

• Beattie25

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

jimmyxavi

The man who thinks he holds a superior football knowledge due to the fact he had a training seesion with some no mark footballer and whom jimmyxavi himself knows nothing about.

The man who, like a vulture circling overhead waiting for scraps, chooses an opportune moment to instigate an unprovoked verball assult in order to feel like a real man because he has neither the intellect or fortitude to tackle someone in a decent debate about anything relevant.

The man who rides into battle in the guise of robin hood with a self reflective ideology that he is saving the innocent, but like maid marrion he has no place in the realm where gladiators fight.

jimmyxavi your namesake, jimmymagpie, was the one who initially attacked the Bobby Robson statue and I believe he went further and attacked his fellow toon fans for protecting the clubs right to pay homage to the great man.

jimmymagpie like you, has some form of arrogant self righteousness that pollutes this blog most days and I for one will welcome opinion but go to war with people who use false status to make their own thoughts bigger than others.

I dont care if you’ve been a fan for 100 years, if you have trained under Dez Hazel, if you have blogged since 400 AD, if you are a cock, you are a cock.

Maybe the elders should respect the opinions of us ‘youngsters’ instead of demanding it for themselves. Respect, regardless of age, is earnt not demanded.

• Indian Magpie

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

• davybtoon

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Codarm yea 4 or 5 more players plus more of the younger players getting more of a chance

• LewSpi

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Haha Vask, is that sarcasm?

• Londtoon

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

@ Ibiza.

I actually agree that it won’t change the underlying nature of our transfer policy. Why would we when we have had such great success! (Aslong as the diamonds in the rough are still out there).

But for example the amount of players we bring in or how many we decide to release in order to bring what we class as better players in will depend on what competition we are in. Noone can deny that. So the amount we spend will still be an important factor especially if we don’t make the CL Groups. Its a balancing act really! Fingers crossed we get it spot on ey!

• tarie4

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

jimmyxavi

I am sure beatie was just messing about, about using Wikipedia dnt take it literally mate 😉
    About the Jimmymagpie issue I am with beatie on that. Coz what Jimmymagpie implied was that Sir Bobby didn’t deserve the statue. Which imo was wrong, he shud have said that although he deserves it, aren’t there other candidates who are more deserving. I never like to pick sides but Jimmymagpie did come across as a dick.. Having said that, I quite enjoy his posts as they are both informative and insightful, but just because U knw more about something.(in this case Newcastle’s history) does that mean ur opinion is above everyone else??

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Was that a YES!!! to me Indian? If so, no one winds me up more than John bloody Terry, however, why wouldn’t a member of the squad who has participated in the tournament not be allowed to life the trophy? It’s not like the red card get’s him banned from the grounds of the final, just banned from playing in it.

He is one stupid tw@ though and I hope I don’t have to see pictures of his tw@y face lifting the CL trophy, especially if we get 4th!

• Vask

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Not at all Lewspi. 😉

• pieceofpapiss

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Vask

I got it, i was repaying the favour with a similar level of sarcasm!

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Tarie…point well made 🙂

Londtoon…When would the CL qualifier be for the group stages? Isn’t it quite late? Really doesn’t give them time to implement any plans etc. We’ll obviously never know whether they have 2 plans dependent on which comp we get, but i’d be shocked to see too much of a difference in their planning. Maybe one or two players – but I would imagine they have their target list now regardless of CL or EL. Where can I find some stats or History to prove my argument? 🙂

• Tyneside

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Off-topic…..

Anyone heard anything about new kits for next season?

• Beattie25

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

CODARM

You don’t need stats or history as long as you have met a footballer in the flesh before

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Tyneside – They’ll be black and white striped.

Beattie – Oh really? In that case I have one overwhelming knowledge of the game that would put wor Bobby to shame 🙂

• jimmyxavi

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Beattie23

Jimmymagpie agreed on a post by Wynsleap.. He then explained that Bobby Robson is actually a Ipswich Legend – This infact is true.

He didn’t mention anyone’s names nor did he say that a statue was undeserving, he simply stated that Joe Harvey had captained the club to 2 cup wins and managed us for another! He stated that Mike Ashley was trying to buy cheap publicity.

He is right about Joe Harvey.. This is a man who was the clubs longest serving captain and manager and a man who last brought us cup success (Unless you count the Intertoto cup which isn’t even recognised by Fifa nor the FA as a major competition)

Do not let your ignorance to the clubs history spill out into a debate. When St James’s Parl got renamed why did all our fans go mad? Because it is part of our history. Joe Havey is an extremely important part of our history.

p.s no mark footballer.. What have you ever achieved?

• Vask

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Papiss I was referng to an earlier post by LewSpi, I saw that you got my irony, after all, we’re all intellectuals on here.

Except for Beattie.

• Tyneside

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM

CODARM

All three? hahaha

• Londtoon

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Ibiza

I am hoping you are right as I would also think they have their plans. Its jsut getting right what we would essentially need. A lot of bloggers on here moan about signing more CM’s but if you think what we have with tiote and cabaye injured? do we have a CL team? My opinion.. no!

I am optimistic about this window. Feel we will keep the stars and hopefully add some hungry stars in the making. Time will tell

• Beattie25

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

”When St James’s Parl got renamed why did all our fans go mad? ”

When did it become St James Parl?