Newcastle’s Steven Taylor Back Soon

It must be hard for local lad Steven Taylor to be sitting on the sidelines,  when Newcastle are doing so well in the Premier League.

Steven Taylor – should be back for pre-season training

Newcastle have already qualified for the Europa League,  and while yesterday’s disaster at Wigan will hamper Newcastle’s chances of getting into the top four and the Champions League, the lads have been magnificent this season – there’s no doubt about that.

Indeed, we could have done with Steven playing yesterday, because this lad never lacks intensity when he wears that black and white shirt, and was playing his best football for Newcastle before he damaged his Achilles against Chelsea, and put himself out of action for the rest of the season.

But the good news today is that he should be back, fit and well,  for the pre-season, and potentially for some European qualifying games in August.

Steven said this in the The Independent today:

“For the first two weeks after I did it, I was at my mam and dad’s and you don’t realise how useless you feel.”

“You’re on crutches and I couldn’t move around the place. You don’t know what is happening. You’re thinking, ‘Is this it for me?’. It has been a long, long road.”

“The medical staff have been brilliant. It would have been so much harder without them, and the coaching staff and the gaffer have kept me around the lads.”

“Every day they ask how I am and that is a big encouragement. I should be back ready for pre-season training and it has taken a lot of hard work.”

I tore my Achilles straight through in September of 2009, when I was trying to push my son’s car on my own (bad decision), so I have some idea of what Steven has been going through, and it is tough.

Of course Steven will have had the very best treatment,  so that the Achilles doesn’t thicken, and that he maintains the mobility in his ankle.

Steven is potentially a starting center-back whoever Newcastle bring in over the summer, and it’s always great to have a local lad playing in the Newcastle side.

It must have been really difficult to have him sit on the sidelines, while Newcastle have performed so above their station this season.

After yesterday’s huge  disappointment,  we are hoping the lads can rectify the situation by turning up in all of our last three matches, with the intensity the Wigan players had yesterday.

If we can do that we could still surprise ourselves – and that’s what we are hoping for.

• thebionicMAG

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Apparently Taylor completely ruptured his Achilles, if thats the case in my opinion he will not be back for August, I reckon possibly even October. Just my opinion and I hope to god Im wrong!

• Lew Davies

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I think it will help that he was so fit before the achilles ruptured.
    I reckon he will be back in training at least by august.
    Good luck to hin.

• spitfire_

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I hope that the next season he will be even better and the most important thing – to be injury free. I hope also that he is not injury prone as it seems at the moment but he had only a bad luck.

• ToonAndy

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Not one person has blamed pardew for yesterday’s performance???

We have a 6 game winning streak playing a 4-2-3-1 and he changes it to a 3-4-3 yesterday?? I was furious when I saw santon playing on the right Side as a wing back… Our defence looked confused and out of position… I was screaming for him to change it back immediately but he waited until the second half (where we played much better football!)…. I’m sorry but pardew lost Us at least 1 point yesterday with that stupid first half formation…

I can guarantee he’s learned from his mistake though and will never change a winning teams formation again.., it also annoys me he blamed it on our “intensity” (the players fault) and not on himself…

• Wor Shearer

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

We should have a new CB or two by August.

• Wor Shearer

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM

@ToonAndy

He changed system AFTER we went 2 goals down. Whatever system we played yesterday we would’ve lost.

Wigan played as if they had an extra couple of players on the field. We played like we knew we were going to win and champions league was already tied up in bow.

• spitfire_

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

@ Wor Shearer

I would say before june… he must start the pre-season with Newcastle.

• hotdog

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

ToonAndy – I didnt like the formation i was seeing but he knew it could be 4-0 by half time and wanted to try to change things. As it happened we went in 4-0 anyway but i would prefer my manager to try something rather than sit there and see it unfold. It was typical toon yesterday blowing up like that but you know what this team could just go and win the next 3 🙂

• Tsunki

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

My only gripe really is that we went to wigan too cocky and really should have had the away team mentality, 4 at back, 4 in defensive midfield for the first half hour at least. We showed them little respect and they were waiting for us. 3 at back is absolutely useless, it leaves players like willo and simmo hopelessly exposed, players who had previously had solid games. And not reacting quickly to the danger signs is why we lose big. Pardew is human and can get it wrong but show me a manager who doesn’t. Its a reminder that enthusiasm and desire can overcome confidence and skill. We need to rekindle that siege mentality that got us through the first third of the season, shut the back door first, weigh up your prey, then attack. I think chelski will face a wounded pride on wednesday.

• hotdog

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Tsunki – well put kid. Totally agree but AP was probably thinking i cant leave any of these guys out after recent performances. You know the one man that would is Alex Ferguson and that is why is is the no1!!

• GeordieToon89

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Personally think if Taylor had been playing all season we’d be 3rd in the league at the moment.. Him and Colo were unreal before the injury and we had the best defensive record in all of the european leagues at the time

• Wor Shearer

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The result yesterday was hardly the first time it’s happened to us. Going on a fine run of form only to brought crashing down to earth and back to reality by a (usually) very sub-par team (sometimes a team not even in the football leagues! (Hereford 1972)).

But we’ve shown time and again this season that this lot of players are strong enough to turn this setback around and show what they are really made of in the very next game!

HWTL!

• Rotonda heights

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM

From what I could see, although I didn’t start watching till after the first 8 mins, was that Santon had basically swapped positions with Jonas with disastrous consequences.

When Raylor got injured 7 matches ago, Pardew stumbled from a long ball 442 on to a very successful passing 433 with Benny at the fulcrum.

With CL within touching distance, why would anyone mess about with it? It does seem we choke at the worst times. By the law of averages Spurs must come out of their rut.

Wish we had spent another 500k on Moses than buying Best!

• Beattie25

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My frustration is that it was the biggest game of the season. The fans all agreed it was the next cup final. It was a chance to lay down a benchmark for the upcoming games and we absolutely imploded. The 3 reasons were the same as the other capitulations this season.

1. Too arrogant and expecting to be able to play at the same level as previous games.

2. Terrible tactics and bizarre choices from the manager.

3. Weak links completely exposed.

How can the players not have the intensity?! If we were mid table then yeah but a team fighting for CL should have no problems finding intensity. There was something fundamentally wrong with the team set up, team talk and mentality of the players. The fans knew what a BIG game it was and Pardew wanted to take an extra couple of thousand down to Wigan so he knew, what happened?

Tactics were terrible. Complancey and failure to evolve against Fulhams tactics, same against Spurs and Wigan too. Arrogance and complacency comes into play. We needed to counter act Wigans tactics instead of being overly confident in our own. 4-3-3 is the future but it’s not good enough with Ba at LW/IM. Go back to 4-5-1 without Ba it 4-4-2 with Ba and leave 4-3-3 until next year.

Weak links exposed again. When we play well our weak links look solid when we play bad our weak links are totally exposed. Simmo and Willo ate simply not good enough. Guti is not a starting CM and again Ba needs to be moved central or benched!

Overall it was the worst day of the season for me yesterday. So much rested on the game and that showed how the team handles pressure. If we do what all fans see we need to do in the summer we can be in the same positio next year. If we fail to show intensity in the transfer market we will fail to do anything next year.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!!!

• munch27

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The only constant we gather from yesterday is Mike Dean’s blatant hatred of NUFC . Before you all call me bitter i don’t blame him for the defeat i blame him for blowing every time Ba or Cisse tackled but failed to send McCarthy off when he committed yellow card offences on more than two occasions after being yellowed early doors.

• terencelim

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

It frustrates me this guy always walk away when the club needs him the most, including the during the 1-0 lead at old trafford after Oba Martins scored.

• West Lancs Geordie

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Agree entirely with GT89. Willo is simply not good enough. He is Championship material at best. To be outmuscled by little Moses was abysmal – he is 6ft 4″ but not strong enough. Not doubt we’ll attract quality CB in Summer

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Munch27- Exactly! I feel the same the ref was having a laugh! It was a very bad day for us as nothing went our way and as you say McArthur should have seen RED and we should have played against 10 men. Then again I still think we would have lost v 10 men. We lacked drive and as Pardew says intensity. We were too cocky and were left red-faced. Looking at the positives I am glad we got beat badly against Wigan as it might serve as a huge wake up call for our next 3 vital games. If we close to Chelsea then that wold be Chamipons LEague all over for me, but no yet, let’s see what happens on Wednesday. We blew the huge chance we had to solidify our place but we couldn’t do it so now we have to work even harder to the finish line.

I still believe we can clinch 4th.

HWTL

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Saylor is injury prone, just look at his injury record. It’s such a shame as he’s local and is a great defender, much better than Williamson. Though Saylor is not perfect, his tendencies to block shots with his arms are a worry every time he’s blocking in the box. But he does play with his heart on his sleeve always and you can never doubt the love, commitment and passion he shows for Newcastle.

We are missing him badly. In the summer we should get a LB that can comfortably cover at CB and a proper CB that will scare the opposition just by a hard look.

HWTL