Newcastle Checking On Dutch Stars Yesterday

Alan Pardew attended FC Twente’s 2-1 home defeat against  Ajax yesterday at the  De Grolsch Veste, which drew a crowd of 30,000.

Ajax players celebrating after 2-1 win at FC Twente yesterday

We assume Pardew was watching some center-backs, with the Brazilian Douglas playing for Twente, and both Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld in central defense for the top Amsterdam side.

The win by Ajax takes them 6 points above second placed Feyenoord Rotterdam, with just two games to play,  and Ajax’s goal difference is much superior, by 24 goals – so they’ve won the title again.

While we think Alan was watching those three center-backs – also on display for Twente was 21 year-old striker Luuk de Jong, and in the Dutch Eredivisie this season this lad, who was linked with Newcastle last summer,  has scored 23 goals in 23 league games.

Vertonghen has just one year left on his contract, and he should come at a bargain price in the summer, but Arsenal are one big club who are also interested in this player.

But it is fully expected Jan will be leaving Ajax, and he had this to say recently:

“Everyone has already made their peace with the fact I have gone, but I have not gone yet.” “I have a year left on my contract and I have not decided anything. I am still at Ajax.”

Douglas has been reported to be joining Newcastle this summer, but it’s hard to know if some of the reports on the Continent have much truth in them.

But Newcastle’s defensive display on Saturday again pointed to the back four being an area that Newcastle can strengthen in the summer, and we are expecting a top center-back and a top left-footed left back to join the club in the summer.

But just who those two players will be, remains debatable.

• spitfire_

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Vertonghen is out of our reach… unfortunately.

• geordie157

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Get Alderweireld or Douglas, or both! would love to see the De Jong brothers Luk and Siem join the toon. I’m suprised we havent been linked with Van Der Wiel or Sujemani. As we’ve been linked with most of the Ajax team.

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I’d love Alderwield and Vertohogen. Both class CB’s, both can play RB/LB and both can play DM. Add to that that each is a goal threat, young and potentially world class and you have a lot of reasons to buy them both.

But there is more chance of me travelling back in time with a rifle and taking a pot shot at Moses in order to ensure he didn’t score at the weekend than this happening.

We will probably take a mental Brazilian cb on a free.

Wheres ov? I need an injection of optimism!!

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Alderwield–Colo—Saylor–Vertohogen

Mouthwatering!

Santon–Colo—Vertohogen–Izaguirre

Tasty!

Yours for just 18 million!

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Beattie…Meet me in 5 and i’ll get you your fix. Doesn’t come cheap mind 🙂

We still have plenty to be optimistic about. We could lose the next 3, even heavily and we would of still done much better than expected. We already know and have known for some time that we need to strenghten our back line, which hopefully this will address this summer.

Keep the faith lads. We’ve done superb this season. If we can get anything out of these last games then great. We have an outside chance of top 4, which we should aim for, but not let it take away from the amazing progress we’ve made.

A bit of a ramble, but hope there is some enough optimism for ya!

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Anybody have anything good to debate?!

I’m feeling down. Yesterday was the hangover from a 4-0 defeat and today is the bit where you have those awful flashbacks and are mightily embarrassed.

Did that really happen???

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Beattie…I watched the lowlights yesterday and it was painful to watch. Time to move on as fans and get ready for Chelsea. Pardew will be going over the mistakes from Wigan and hopefully some good has come out of it and the lads know they can’t afford to relax. It’s the PL and all 38 games need 100% concentration, especially if you want to do well

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Good debate? Can you tell me why you think Simmo is lucky? 🙂

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Ibiza always there with a pesceiption of hard drugs in the form of wise words.

I think that my sadness comes from thoughts of an unfulfilled summer. I just can’t stop thinking that it Might be a damp squib. Its what drives me, the hope that we can get better. But I’m worried…

Tell me CODARM, tell me it’s gonna be ok. Hold me… Sob sob…

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Lol…Don’t let the summer get you down…we’re not even there yet. I think the club have shown enough of late to say that they will act this summer, but also that they simply wont pay over the odds for a player (doesn’t mean no big signings, just not ridiculous buys).

I think we’ll improve for next season (as far as players go), but if people think Ashley is going to buy a team to try and win the league next year then they must be on real hard drugs, not in the form of wise words.

I think he wants a team that can push for top 4 and qualify for Europe. Down the line, that may change.

Stay positive mate, Newcastle are on the up, in fact we’re going up a lot quicker than expected, so the occasional step “backwards” shouldn’t be read in to in too much detail

• pieceofpapiss

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

@Beattie25

I’d love to see Vertohogen com in but why would you play him LB? Natural CB, would be wasted out there.

Get Pieters in along with Douglas and Alderwield and thats a healthy bunch in defence.

I’d also like to see a striker come in with bags of pace, i think that we are a little on the slow side upfront and lack a bit on the counter attack.

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I am also sad for Demba Ba.

What a player he was/is but what a shame to see a once great man struggle.

How can that issue be resolved?

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Optimism overdose Beattie? Or are you in the midst of a Beattie / Hulk transformation?

• Toon_Tom

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Beattie @12

____________Tiote_____Jonas_________________
    _____HBA_________Ba_________Cabaye________
    ________________Cisse_______________________

• Indian Magpie

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Just got my appraisal letter, have not opened it Yet !

• rich_toonfan

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Would love us to sign agbonlahor if we could get him cheap enough. He has been terrible for 2 seasons so price should have dropped.

Martin o’neil got the best out of him and make him look a work beater, think pardew could do the same.

With his pace and the passing of cabaye and ben arfa he would have plenty chances.

Also he could play from the left too.

But on the Dutch lads, any combination of pieters, alderweield and vertongen keeps me happy, ideally all 3 but that might be too much.

The Lille right back, debeuchy???? Would be a good signing too, looks impressive in the 2 games I have seen this year, an tweeted cabaye saying he would love to play for the toon

• toonbrother

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

time to put Ba on the bench

HBA Cisse Obertan
    Cabaye
    Jonas Tiote
    Santon Willo Colocinni Simmo

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I’d play Vertohogen at LB on those hard away days against long ball opposition (Norwich, Stoke etc…).

Whilst Vertohogen is a natural CB he can play LB ala Chellini, Phil Jones, an inverted Sergio Ramos, Puyol etc…

It would he good to have many options

• Indian Magpie

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

what is coincidence, its just luck, good or bad

• Indian Magpie

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM

May be it was like one of clones of pardew in holland and real pardew was somwhere else

• Beattie25

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM

If we get beat in the next 3 games I am not bothered as long as we try hard and play with passion.

The stuffings this season have lacked that and that’s why I got upset. Cmon boys you’ve made us proud so much already. Keep going for 3 more games and win, loose or draw you can do no wrong as long as you play with the heart that was missing in the first 45 minutes against Wigan.

I think I’m menstruating. I’ve cried, drunk a bottle of wine and eaten a box of chocolates.

Bridget Jones marathon me thinks.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

At the end of the day, that is all we can ask for Beattie…Let’s hope they play their hearts out in the remaining 3 like we know they can.

Enjoy your marathon 🙂

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Indian..At last. An explanation of where the AC money went. Cloning Pardew. Nice to finally have some closure

• Indian Magpie

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

CODARM,

you know there are 11 clones of pardew

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Indian…I didn’t know that, no

• davybtoon

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Agreed don’t care if we lose next 3 aslong as we fight like hell, it’s mad but 3wins would get us 3rd I reckon bcoz I don’t think arsenal will beat WBA on last day of season
    Honestly I sort of wish the season was done n we can start signing ppl think we’re gonna b even better next year

• PapistosGrinBenArfasWand

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Of all transfer targets, I would most like yanga-mbwia, and alderweild.

Mbwia is a leader, strong as an ox, and very cheap at around 7 million, also very versatile.

Alderweild is also strong, very good on the ball, quick and has a bullet of a shot.

Fryers is a good young prospect and from what I hear, he is very highly regarded at united, Carr and Beardsley are really keen on him.

I can see us signing about 10-12 16-22 year olds this summer.

Curtis good has all but signed.

Rolando Aaron from bristol city already signed

Wesley Said is still on trial

We’ve also been looking at a young keeper from Birmingham, not sure wee need another keeper though.

Really looking forward to this summer.

• Rotonda heights

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

the trouble is as Ed pointed out in his earlier thead is that the Europa league is really peanuts compared to what you can earn in the CL.

This is why I am more angry at the players than Pardew, as Wigan was our Waterloo where we needed to stand up and get some points before these last 3 horrendouusly difficult fixtures.

CL could get you vetonghen, Europa might get you a Brazilian on a free.

beattie,

I think we have to play Ba or Cisse at CF. I remember Ba’s display against Manu as probably the best virtuoso performance I’ve seen a CF give. It’s a dilemma but maybe rotation and letting Ba play in his rightful place is the only answer.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Rotonda…I agree that on a financial basis the CL obviously is far more preferable to EL and it’s a shame that we’re so close, but couldn’t get the result. I do understand your anger. However, we shouldn’t take away from the fact that EL is an amazing achievement for this season and I can’t think of one person who would be unhappy with that

• Ashton

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

They should’ve watched the feyenoord vs az alkmaar game. Jordy Clasie had an amazing game. He should be our #1 target in the summer because he is gonna one of the best midfielders in the world.

• Ben_BKK

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Agreed Rotonda. The manager almost always takes the blame but he can’t legislate for our sloppy defending in the first half and inability to convert chances in the 2nd half. While you could say he deserves some blame for changing the formation around, he started with our now-usual 4-3-3 but changed it cause Wigan were ripping us apart and he felt, for good reason, that he had to do something. It was just a dreadful performance in the 1st half from the players all round!

• check the toastie

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The Ba question is a gud un eh, cant drop Cisse, maybe come up with some 532 formation, never gunna happen but wud be suited to going to chelsea and getting something,
    Krul
    Willo Collocini Perch
    Santon Jonas
    Ben10 Tiote Cabaye
    Papiss Demba

Bit radical but puts players in some good positions to effect the game. Put Ba close to Cisse as well, sh1t or bust as i see it, nothing to lose.

• toonking

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

well after reading the story on injury concerns i guess it will be more like good news for some bloggers, only with the injury to simpson that is.
    i know that evenyone will see the injury cabaye could have will be a downer.
    the question now is will pardew go with perch RB santon LB or visversa

• check the toastie

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The performance was a shambles as soon as Willo struggled to beat a midget in the air, pretty poor that from ‘Big’ Mike.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Check – In Willo’s defence, he is scared of heights

• check the toastie

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

The thing with playing the 532 is at all times we should have 3 defenders back defending narrowly and snuffing out thru balls, Tiote should be told to go nowhere barring protecting Willo and the hoes that Santon or Jonas may leave as thet help our attacks,

Cabaye and benny need to work hard and Ba wud drop in when we havent got the ball, but it gets him mre central, just a bit of a rethink, need to stop leaving massive gaps between our CB’s, playing 3 might help.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Check – Like the formation @31 – Why not? As you say, we’ve nothing to lose and our back line obviously could use some extra help.

I take it Santon and Jonas are in attacking FB positions and not DM?

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Santon and Jonas are players then Check? Wouldn’t think they would need to pay women for sex, but there you go

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

By “players” I mean with regards to women…not football 🙂

• toonking

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

if although a chelsea win will put them above us i still will not class that as the end for us if tottenham loose to bolton because chelsea do have to go to anfield which i can’t see them getting a result there also tottenham still have fulham to play