The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Candid Alan Pardew – I Let Newcastle Down On Saturday

9:04 am, Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Alan Pardew has come out today and blamed himself for Newcastle’s terrible performance in that first half at Wigan.

Alan Pardew - I let Newcastle down on Saturday

Alan admits to making tactical errors approaching the game, and he was also trying to build up his players before the game at Wigan, which seemed to backfire, when Wigan were much more alive at the start of the game, and put four past the Magpies before half time.

When we are commenting on the game on Saturday we always have to remember the lads won six games in a  row, so maybe there good form is not too far away.

Alan Pardew talked to his players yesterday and they seem to be satisfied that they understand the errors they made in the game as a coaching staff, and also what the players did wrong,, in the first 45 minutes.

Alan seems determined to repay the fans for what they had to endure last Saturday, and he had this to say today:

“It was a bad day at the office, but for reasons.” “I think part of the psychology was that, with all due respect to Wigan, it was them we were playing and not Chelsea that was three days around the corner.”

“I’m not attributing any kind of blame here, I’m just saying that collectively we all got it wrong. The psychology of the team and the tactical side of things is my responsibility, and I felt that I let the club down a little bit as well.”

“On Wednesday, I have to make sure I don’t get that wrong.” “The only thing I worry about in terms of Wednesday night is making sure that my team is motivated at the right level.”

“That will probably mean bringing them down rather than building them up, like I was trying to do on Saturday.” “I don’t think we’re under any illusions. Tactically, we made mistakes as a coaching team and myself.”

“I think the psychology didn’t work for us and, with no disrespect to Wigan, the performance they put in was probably above themselves.”  “All those factors resulted in that result, and we all take responsibility for it. Therefore, we all need to make the same response on Wednesday night.”

“I think the most important part for our fans in particular is a restoring in pride, and we have to do that via the performance on Wednesday night.” “If I was a fan that’s what I would be looking for and the result will come second.”

“If you get the performance right, sometimes the result follows pretty quickly.”

We don’t mind too much even if Newcastle lose tomorrow, and the most important thing is that they show up for the game, and press Chelsea,  and Newcastle play somewhere near our best form again.

At least with the Newcastle spirit seeming to be missing on Saturday, it should be in full supply in the last three games of the season and that could bode well for what Newcastle can do.

We also assume the Newcastle club have more than ample supplies of Strawberry Syrup and Yassa (goat curry for the uninitiated),  for our two Senegal strikers, and that’s very important, as we all know. :D

Comments welcome.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 pbNcl // May 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Were lookin for the performance of the season tomorrow night now. We can’t fall apart at the last hurdle, surely we have the mettle to mix it with the big time

Come on the toon!!!

• 2 bigmattyn // May 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Yassa’s actually made with chicken and Lemon Ed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yassa_%28food%29 :-)

• 3 traceline // May 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I can almost take the loss on saturday if it serves the purpose of bringing out a performance against chelsea on weds.

A no-result against Wigan will mean nothing if we beat the blues. take 3 points off them now, it’ll deal a fatal blow to their hopes and spur us on for the final 2.

Head, for me, says a narrow loss / low scoring draw – but heart says “react right, and we can ‘do a wigan’ on them”

:P

HWTL

• 4 spotspot // May 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Ridiculous I know but I hate reading “the Newcastle club” all the time! Otherwise a belter blog!

• 5 Rotonda heights // May 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

we must have realised wigan would be fighting for their lives

• 6 Steve Dixon // May 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Areet lads, completly off subject but do you know of any1 intrested in a Everton away ticket? proper skint, selling for facevalue. just need rid of it. cheers

• 7 Paulo Martins // May 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I think we should go to the last three games to giving our best , and that is that . we don’t have easy games, ruin the plans of City, makes us Look good ?, but if we lose its ok, we can win all especially against difficult opponents

But if we do it, GREAT league champion next year and I hope in the final in Lisbon

I tell you, the game against Stoke City was my first game in St. James park in life, and it paid off for me and people who went with me, it was unique experience , I will come back

• 8 Kenufc // May 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Steve dixon i could be possibly interested if not sold already details? just send an email to WLKennedy99@yahoo.co.uk

• 9 Hatem ben cisse // May 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

steve i do yes!

• 10 papiss_on_your_parade // May 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Steve Dixon, how many tickets? how much?
    Cheers

• 11 Steve Dixon // May 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM

8 – there was 2 tickets nd just what i bought them at £39 but ive just got rid of them this morning sadly… litrally skint nd couldnt afoard to go, if i find anymore i will post on here.

• 12 CAToon // May 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

The wigan match showed that both players and manager have to be focused on match day. Neither was. While AP is protecting his players from criticism, they are accountable as well. It was a great lesson for the team….

previous post: Newcastle Front And Center In Premier League Run-In