Alan Pardew – We Were Robbed At St. James’ Park

Newcastle were very unlucky to lose to Chelsea at St. Park earlier in the season.

Alan Pardew – we wus robbed – you tell them Alan

3-0 was an unfair scoreline, with two goals coming in injury time when Steven Taylor picked up his Achilles injury, which has kept him out for the rest of the season, and his absence has obviously cost Newcastle some points in the league this season.

The Magpies have a chance to settle the score with Chelsea tonight, and the London side seemed to receive a favorable decision from the referee, Mike Dean, in the Newcastle game.

David Luiz  should have received a red card for a professional foul he committed in the first half. Ba had got past Luiz, when the centre-half bundled him to the floor 20 yards out.

Dean gave the free kick but Luiz was the last man in defense, and he should have walked.  But that wasn’t the first time, and it has not been the last favorable call the big clubs have had from officials this season in the Premier League.

And we’re not even going to mention the two offside goals that beat Wigan 2-1 recently.  Alan Pardew talked to the local press today about that call – or non-call on David Luiz:

“That game hinged on the sending off.” “I don’t care how you look at that game, he should have gone. The ref came in afterwards and said he should have gone too.”

“They were lucky that day. Hopefully it will be our turn this time.” “If people are looking tired or need to freshen up, we’ve got the options there.”

But of course that’s all water under the Tyne Bridge now, and these calls tend to even themselves out over the season,  well at least that’s what we keep reading. 😀

It’s a chance tonight for Newcastle to level the score at Stamford Bridge,  where last season we drew 2-2,  with Steven Taylor heading in the equalizer in stoppage time.

We’d love a draw tonight, but a win is what Newcastle will be going for.

• Twatter

May 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Chelsea are always getting the rub of the green. The Wigan game, the goal that never should’ve been in the FA Cup Semi Final and the Luiz incident at SJP to just name a few of at least a dozen this season.

That being said we’ve sometimes rode our luck too, albeit nowhere near as much as them. I really can’t see us winning this match, the stats show that we’ve never won at Stamford Bridge, although now would be the year to change that.

My heart says 1-0 Newcastle but my head says 3-0 Chelsea.

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

we won 4-3 last year at the bridge too, 2 of the goals came from u know who.

Whenever the FA sees that NUFC is doing well, they appoint mike dean a the referee, again this previous weekend.

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Oh Yes! it was SJP back then, for some it is still SJP, the cathedral

• OTP

May 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Tbh Sturridge caused problems in the last game but couldn’t shoot to save his life. Need everyone to have a great game tonight and for Bolton to beat Spurs. I have done a small tactical preview of the Chelsea game here: http://one-touch-passing.blogspot.co.uk/ if anyone is interested.

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Krul was brilliant and Made sturridge’s finishing look poor

• Minato

May 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

3-0 did more than flatter them. Not sure I fully agree with the certain teams getting general special treatment though, I think if the Luiz incident had happened a little later he would have definitely been gone. I think the fact it was so early into the game worked in his favour.

I must confess to be slightly pessimistic about this evening. I believe we can beat Chelsea and that we obviously need to if we are to finish 4th. What concerns me really is our record in london, we seem to really struggle in the capital and I think that they will prioritise this game over the FA cup final on Saturday. We must learn from the mistakes at Wigan and keep it tight..biggest game of the season for us so far, make or break now for champions league.

• gaz 44

May 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

sturridge looked good against lead legs raylor but santon will be a different proposition as he has pace to burn also

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Minato

On that Luiz decision, remember gary cahill being sent off against spuds, the same day, for being the last man. That was only 20 minutes into the match.

• barney

May 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

this is ridiculous,I was at the game and chelsea had us all over,and could easily scored double figures,sturrige murdered ryan taylor ,chelsea missed loads of great chances,Pardew says we were unlucky,we were very lucky believe me.

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

After the Game AVB Came out and said that Chelsea cd have beaten NUFC with 10 men, Yeah right

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I Dont like it when parew says WE WAS, it should be WE WERE,

i start spitting feathers

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

*pardew*

• Toon_Tom

May 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Indian – haha, i am exactly the same when he says “we was”

• check the toastie

May 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM

barney, maybe pardew was saying we were unlucky with how events conspored against us,

1. Luiz should hav been sent off, first few minutes.
    2. Collocini goes off injured 20 minutes.
    3. We outplay them totally 2nd half for 40 minutes,
    4. Saylor then snaps achilles and is out for year, they score 2 late goals.

Circumstances could say that we were unlucky eh.

And yes Sturridge did torture Raylor 1st half, wont be the first and wont be the last.

• Rodney Cisse

May 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Draw tonight boys will do fine we’re yet to beat chelsea in the league at their place since the russian took over.

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Mike Dean is an absolute disgrace and always has been when in charge of NUFC matches, going back as far as when we played Boro a few years back in KK’ second spell.

The tug back by Luis on Ba, the X rated tackle by Cattermole on Tiote and the blatant handball by Alcaraz when previously booked all went unpunished by this clown of a ref and nothing is ever done as the refs are never accountable.

Refereeing stadards have never been lower in this country.

• Rowan Milsted

May 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I remember that game well… LB is still a slight concern for me, also Torres’ movement is bound to cause problems. Chelsea are in fine form, playing with confidence and have a lot to play for. The same applies to us (with the exception of the Wigan game) and hopefully that defeat will spur us to win even more.

We were the better team for a long spell of that game, but remember we were at home – this will be different. Also, they were very wasteful early on (especially Sturridge.) I just hope and pray we don’t concede early (or at all!) and we’ll have a real chance. We need to be right in their faces, closing down all over the pitch and showing the work rate that has epitomised our season. I just can’t call this one… will be interesting to see what team Chelsea put out.

By the way, ‘we was’ is a bit of a Londonism. It’s not the only example – how many times do you hear a manager say ‘they done well’? It’s part of the football lingo I’m afraid.

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Indian,

Couldn’t agree more mate. It’s like when people say them things instead of those things and pronounce something with a k on the end and spell lose with 2 o’s!!!

Indian I think AVB actually said with 9 men

• Tsunki

May 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Rowan – the boy done well, mate, he done really well, innit? 🙂

If we take away his southernisms he may lose his mystical managerial strength. We should respect his strangling of the English language and back off. It’s not like we can say howay hinny wor gannin’ oot doon the toon with impunity, is it? 🙂

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Yeah it’s funny Mourinho speaks better English than Redknapp!

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM

At first Pardew was using the ROYAL WE, but no

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Tsunki,

They’d be wondering who impunity was!!!

• Tsunki

May 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Most foreign people who learn our lingo are way ahead on the correct English because they are taught the proper structure – look at Indian, he puts many of us to shame. Doesn’t say ‘their’ instead of ‘there’, doesn’t say ‘could OF’ instead of ‘could HAVE’ which really chaps my ass. I find our Scandinavian cousins master the English well, in most cases enough to pass for home-grown, suppose it’s because of the Norse and Viking influence on our language.

• Tsunki

May 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM

… we of course know that ‘impunity’ describes a brotherhood of scoundrels, which is what we are 😉

• Tsunki

May 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I agree that we were robbed in the sense that Luiz staying on combined with the unfortunate injuries robbed us of a settled team in the coming games – who knows how well up the table we would be now – perhaps Chelski, spuds and arsenal would have been many points adrift of us by this stage? However, on the day Chelski looked pretty strong and I couldn’t see us losing, but neither did I see a goal come from anywhere, apart from that one close shave.

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

it’s all ifs, buts and maybe’s

If Shola had taken the pen v Sunderland.
    If we could have hung on to the 96th min v Arse
    If we could have kept our 2-0 lead at home v Wolves etc, etc

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Rotanda,

we should have taken a point of WBA at home.

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I’m sure Pardew would have said ”we was robbed!”

I saw Chris waddle on the box and I don’t think he got one grammatical thing right!! He was forever saying he could of went, instead of ”he could have gone” !!!

• Rotonda heights

please, please, please, please, please, please, please,
    please, please, please, please, please, please, please,
    please, please, please, please, please, please, please,
    dont pick Simpson,

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Rotanda we lost, got a 81st minute equaliser, given how bad we were should OF shut up shop. But no againg gung ho.

• Indian Magpie

May 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM

IMPUNITY – Collective noun for scoundrels, I like it 😉

• Rotonda heights

May 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I think the positives of this season are huge, ie we can put out 9 really good players, namely Krul, Colo, Santon, Benny, Cisse, Ba, Tiote, Cabaye and Jonas.

We are really only a RFB and CB away from a fantastic first X1 and we still have the likes of Marveux, Fergie and Abeid to call on.

• toonincheek

May 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Pardew should have said :

We WUZ robbed.

• Rowan Milsted

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Tsunki

Haha, nicely put! Regarding foreigners speaking better English than a lot of English people – do you think part of it may be that they’re taught proper English (or should I say proppa!?) whereas we’re heavily influenced by regional differences, and the evolution of slang? For example, I live in Dorset and catch myself saying “I seen it” rather than “I saw it.” I’d never write it, but I say it. My ex-girlfriend, who is perfectly intelligent and has spent nearly her whole life living in London, always says things like “would of,” “them things,” “I done it” etc. She knows it’s wrong but it’s what she’s grown up with. It’s part of her heritage in a way. I think a lot of well-educated foreigners will end up doing the same thing once they’ve lived in a certain area for a certain time. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, just an indication of colloquiumisms and the evolution of language.

Oh, and getting back to the football – I think “robbed” is a bit strong but 3-0 massively flattered them. A draw would have been fair, seeing as they should have been down to 10 men but we were pretty toothless in attack.

• mattnufc

May 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Will Simpson ever be dropped? I hope Perch plays instead.

• Rowan Milsted

May 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

mattnufc

By the start of next season, almost certainly. Although personally I’d like to keep him as a squad player, he’s very good back up for RB. This seems unlikely though as he wants a better deal at NUFC, so being dropped to the bench isn’t going to keep him here. I reckon this’ll be his last 3 games for the Toon.

• Haristotle

May 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM

predictions lads? gonna put some $ down but cant call it myself….

• ToonDownSouth

May 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Rotonda

Do you think we’ll keep all of out star players this summer? Personally I can’t see it.