The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cheick Tiote Wanted To Keep Playing – Doctor Said No Way

9:09 am, Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Cheick Tiote has epitomized the tremendous spirit in the Newcastle camp, when he was interviewed after the game last night.

Cheick Tiote receieving treatment

Cheick revealed he didn’t want to come off,  after the game was held up over 8 minutes, as he was treated for a facial injury.

The 25-year-old was caught accidentally by John Mikel Obi, as the two men went for a high ball together, and the Ivorian suffered a deep gash above his right eye, as he was hit by Obi’s elbow.

Cheick ended up being taken off on a stretcher,  and it was good to see the Chelsea fans applauding the midfielder, who had another energetic display for Newcastle in the white hot Stamford Bridge atmosphere.

Ryan Taylor came on to replace Tiote, as the  Newcastle Doctor, Paul Catterson and physiotherapist David Henderson went with him down the tunnel, and it turns out that Dr. Catterson wouldn’t allow him to continue.

Cheick had this to say on the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“I wanted to play on but the doctor said it’s not possible to come back onto the pitch,  so I had to respect his decision,”

“And the team finished the job so I’m happy tonight. It was painful but that’s football. I am okay and I’m just thinking about Sunday now.”

“When I was down, my eyes were groggy and I couldn’t see properly but now I’m okay and I will be fit for Sunday.”

“I wasn’t worried that we’d hold on because after that we stayed focused and played well. Then Papiss scored his second goal for a great result.”

“When I came off I just took a shower and after that, sat in the dressing room so I didn’t see the goal – only on video!”

“But it was a nice goal, a good finish and that’s Papiss – he scores every time and it’s good for us.”

“Chelsea have good players and it was another great win, like the one against Manchester United. We did very well as a team. Everyone did their job and we got a fantastic win.”

It was good news from Alan Pardew after the game, a delighted Alan Pardew we may add, that they would put something on Tiote’s gash, and he would be allowed to play against Manchester City on Sunday.

Of course at the time Newcastle were 1-0 up through a goal from Papiss Cisse, and were hanging on to their lead with some stout team defending.

And then in the 4th minute of stoppage time, which lasted 10 minutes because of the Tiote  treatment, Papiss Cisse scored right out of the blue, with what could be the goal of the season.

And on the sidelines the Newcastle players, like Dan Gosling were smiling away, and Alan Pardew was seen to be saying “I don’t believe it”.

Well it was true,  and it was Newcastle’s second goal, and that makes it 7 wins in the last 8 games,  and 6 clean sheets along the way.

There’s only one word to describe that - simply unbelievable - make that two words. :D

Comments welcome.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Injuries · Newcastle News

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // May 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

its hard to put negatives on a game like last nights,

so many plus points to come out of it like

santon at left back, looked like he had been in the prem for seasons, only one bad pass all night, but with the ball at his feet going forward, he is looking class

perch at right back, now il be the first to admit , i am/wasnt a big fan of his, but from a defensive point of view he had a top top game, winning me over, and i think apart from the football from him, its his do or die attitude, 100% for the team LIKE THAT A LOT, better than simpson

williamsom , had a good game, but dont like that he tries to bring the ball out not quick enough, but take nothing away from his performance last night

tiote and cabaye, both played defensive and attacking midfielders yesterday and this confused chelsea, just bossed the midfield, i dont think im being to biased when i say i think we have the best central 2 in the prem

i would love us to give the ball to HBA more than we do right now, he scares other teams

jonas,, i think this was my only let down last night, very very poor game, where he used to run at players, i felt he just kept letting santon do it,

cisse, now its hard to fault him, but i will, if there is one thing he could do better is look up more when tring to pick someone out, i feel he just puts it in in hope rather than try and pick a man out, other than that keep doing what your doing boy , value now, hmmmm £40mil +

ba had a good game, just lacked a goal

from a subs point, shola and raylor did well, but obertan was still a headless chicken

29catchy in norway // May 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

missed colo out

only one thing to say, CLASS

• 2 check the toastie // May 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

For 20 minutes in the first half Tiote was immense, him and Cabaye have been fantastic, and Cabaye last night must have ran a marathon.

Going to buy me and the litttle man some Collocini wigs for Sunday. Cant wait.

• 3 Jonny // May 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Demba must be getting a bit p****d off with it all now!! Have to feel for him! haha

• 4 davybtoon // May 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Anyone hear talksports Chelsea fan n ex player Jason cundy last nyt says we’re 3-4 players away from challenge in for the title next season

• 5 Jonny // May 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

ahh, link didn’t work but video on skysports of Demba just translating for Cisse!

• 6 TorqToon // May 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I was praying for a Demba Ba goal last night and on a couple of occasions he came so close!!!! Saving himself for Man Citeh on Sunday I guess!!!

• 7 Londtoon // May 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

“accidental” is not what I would call the challenge by Mikel.

And a “white hot atmosphere” also is not what I would call it.. think our boys silenced the chelsea lot for large periods of the game! especially when we had any corners! They were edgy!

• 8 Londtoon // May 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Also can I say that colo last night was incredible. Possibly 2nd man of the match behinf Cisse. His tackles were spot on and some of his footwork last night was as clever as HBA

• 9 Steve Dixon // May 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The 25-year-old was caught accidentally by John Mikel Obi – was this a sarcastic comment? it was premeditated after the early clash with tiote, all the pundits after the game agreed he should have seen red.

• 10 davybtoon // May 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM

15 clean sheets this season is amazing and to we need 2 defenders to sign, thought perch n santon were brilliant last nyt

• 11 TorqToon // May 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

When you go up for a header with fists clenched and very little sight on the ball…that’s no accident!! He knew exactly what he was doing! I’m a midfielder myself and if Mikel simply wanted to win the header then he wouldnt have jumped in with intent the way he did.

• 12 blacklight_joe // May 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

thank you Newcastle United for an amazing season so far, i live in Syria where every thing is wrong right now in my country but there is one thing bright and it is my beloved Newcastle, thx again, CL next season,
    bring on man shity, come on, Howay The Lads

• 13 Szarka // May 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Colo was great tooyeah, I like him as hes technical, made a few good moves . Not a “hit the ball clean” type, he has brain for football.

• 14 Lee Dodd // May 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I am Very releived That Cheike Tiote is Ok As it looked Very Worrying there last night. But Typical of him he wanted to come back on. I just Hope we stand tall and can beat man City on Sunday The Last Game at Home. 52300 Mad Geordies Then Man city Will Be scared stiff !!!!!! Man Utd Couldn’t handle it !!! Everton We can Win !!!!!!!!!!! Roll On Sunday !!!!!!

• 15 ShanghaiMag // May 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Glad he’s fine. I was worried about him getting a second yellow and missing the last 2 games.

Hopefully not playing the full 90 minutes will make him more fresh for Sunday.

• 16 @Toon_Tulip // May 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

perch was fantastic at right back last night and santon stepped up like he did against man untied. As for cisse just wow. He is like every good striker we have had at the club rolled into one.

previous post: Newcastle Just One Point Out Of Third Place