The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Papiss Cisse Likely To Get Improved Deal At Newcastle

10:47 am, Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

The English press are raving about Papiss Cisse this morning, and I’ve just seen on Sky Sports, a collage of goals he has scored since joining Newcastle from SC Frieburg in January – WOW.

Papiss Cisse – do you think he just scored?

And if Andy Carroll is worth £35M, then we don’t know how much this lad is now worth, after showing he can score goals, almost at will, in the English Premier League.

Papiss has 13 goals in 12 games for the Magpies, and his second goal last night was simply sensational, and his best goal yet for Newcastle - can he ever score a better one?

Papiss thinks that goal is the best he’s ever scored in his career

“It was a wonderful goal.” “It was the best goal of my career – I was so happy to score it.”   “When the ball came to me, I was only thinking about scoring. It was an instinctive finish.”

“I was also pleased with my first goal. It was important for the team. It was a good evening for me and the team.”  “We have to take it match by match. We have Manchester City and Everton.”

“It’s not going to be easy, but we have confidence, which is important. We believe in each other.”  “I came to the Premier League to show my quality, and everything is going well.”

“I’m enjoying my football – everything is good on and off the pitch.”  “We hope to play in the Champions League, and we will work hard to achieve that.”

Papiss was already on his way to being a folk hero on Tyneside, and this will only quicken that, and heaven help it when he needs another hair-cut.

And we expect Newcastle to offer Papiss Cisse anew deal over the summer, after he has shown he can be a world-class striker for Newcastle.

But Demba Ba was unlucky last night not to score, and he had a good shot saved low down by Peter Cech just before the break, as the Czech goalkeeper turned it around the post for a corner.

And from the resulting corner, Ba hit a great right foot shot, but it hit the cross-bar and came back out.

We expect  Alan Pardew to play 4-4-2 on Sunday, and Ba and Cisse are a handful for any defense these days, and they should worry the Manchester City defense at St. James’ Park, in front of another sell-out crowd.

City will know all about Papiss Cisse, as Roberto Mancini was at the game last night, and it may just open it up for Demba Ba to be among the goals,  in our last home game of the season.

Newcastle will be going all out for two wins in their last two games, and if they can do that against City and then Everton away, they will finish in the top four if Arsenal and Tottenham don’t win both of their remaining games.

It would be astounding if Newcastle finish 4th this season, and it looks like that’s possible with just two more wins.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // May 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Ta Da #2

• 2 ROSHAN MAGPIE // May 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

cisse is the best striker in the league at the moment

• 3 Tsunki // May 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I’m pretty certain a new deal will be in the offing if we have any desire to keep the lad, but I don’t think it will take much to convince him to stay – moves to other teams for CL footy aren’t a sure fire bet, are they Jose? I think it may be possible the temptation to sell either Ba or Cisse will prove too great, but I don’t think we’d ever sell both at the same time, which is the important thing.

• 4 Special K // May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

After last night’s stunner what are people’s thoughts on our CL chances?

How I see it, if we win out by beating City & Everton we’ll be there. All we’d need is for Spurs or Arsenal to drop points in just one of their last two fixtures, looking at Spurs Villa (A) and Arsenal’s WBA (A).

Sunday is massive. Really looking forward to it now

• 5 WWJBD // May 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Why?

• 6 GeordieToon89 // May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Wonder if Marv will get some minutes on sunday, bench yday…)
    If he stays fit next season he’ll be our natural lw if Ba leaves

• 7 KuwaitiMAGPIE // May 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

lets surprise shiteh with another formation on sunday ……. IF ONLY

• 8 Owldman // May 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Cheik wanted to play on but the Doc said “No Way”

• 9 thebionicMAG // May 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I keep reading this “If Andy Carroll was worth £35 million…” We have to ditch this mentality bacause Andy Carroll wes NEVER worth £35 million…not in 35 million years.

• 10 Solaidback // May 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Ed, you’re quoted as saying And we expect Newcastle to offer Papiss Cisse anew deal over the summer” but you’re the only person saying that, thats not been mentioned anywhere by anyone, so who is your source or is it just you’re hoping the club will because from what I’ve read in the past, DL said they like players to be at the club about 2yrs before renewing contracts & Cisse has only been there just under 4 months… so yet again, speculation, unfounded information or hopefulness on your part I think….

• 11 Tino99 // May 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I was in the directors box at chelsea last night – one of the most bizarre experiences having dinner with mancini and david platt and on the next table graham carr, llambias and tavernier.

CATEGORICALLY THE BEST AWAY FANS EVER!!!!

I went absolutely ballistic when Newcastle scored I dont think anyone around me linked it though haahaha!!!

• 12 Jimay // May 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yes, Mancini was at the game trying to find a way to overcome their next opponent. Dalglish on the other hand was not to be seen. Maybe you think he should have had a look at his next opponent in the FA-cup final. However, he was probably overseas attending a game to scout a player that was not to be playing ;)

• 13 check the toastie // May 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Tino99 – namedropper

• 14 milburn11 // May 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Alright guys, this is is my first post, I listened to the talks port commentary last night and guess what rose it’s ugly head…….. Cisse contract buy out clause, (15 mil allegedly) tell me is there any other club which gets this much media speculation about their players it boils my p#.% so much. I hope cisse realises he’s somewhere special and does sign an improved contract and that mike rightly gives him the deal to keep him here for 10 years. Sick of media W#%*~€S

• 15 Sav // May 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Mancini and Platt had gone before the second goal, which is just as well as I wouldn’t like to see them explain that one in a defensive briefing session. Other than ‘Don’t let Cisse anywhere near the ball’, I don’t see what they could possibly benefit from that one.

• 16 brighter // May 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Where is the link about a collage of goals he has scored since joining Newcastle??

• 17 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // May 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Yeah were is the link?

• 18 Charlietoon // May 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Link…where….grunt

Lets hope all our best players stay but we will face temptation on two fronts. I think we’ll lose Demba to either the release clause or him wanting a move as someone is offering him big wages, I dont think there is any truth to Cisse having a release clause in his contract. After signing Demba on such a contract I have enough faith in Ashley as a business man to not make the same mistake twice.

previous post: Pardew – It Was A Special Night For Newcastle United