Alex Ferguson Thinks Newcastle Can Beat Manchester City

And we thought it was all over.

Alex Ferguson – thinks Newcastle can win on Sunday

When Manchester  City beat Manchester United 1-0 last Monday night, to get the double over their Manchester neighbors, they went top of the league on goal difference.

The conventional wisdom was that whoever won the derby game,  would win the Premier League, which we always thought that was nonsense.

First of all Manchester City are vising St. James’ Park on Sunday in their next game to face a vibrant Newcastle side, who shocked everybody on Wednesday night with their resilient performance to win 2-0 at Chelsea,  for the first time since 1986.

And the other finalists at the FA Cup on Saturday – Liverpool – also lost at home 1-0 to Fulham on Tuesday night, who had never ever won at Anfield, so that both finalists go to Wembley on the back of a rare loss against clubs they nearly always beat.

Newcastle are now a full 16 points above the high spending Liverpool side, and it’s hard to see how Kenny Dalglish can keep his job for next season, with so many poor signings under his belt – £116M of poor signings..

Alex Ferguson still has hope of winning the Premier League, and is banking on Newcastle stopping Manchester City in their tracks:

“By the time we kick off we’ll know what we’ll need to do. Newcastle are fighting for that position in the top four. They have a chance. It’s an exciting end to the season.”

“The challenge for City is to win at Newcastle and Newcastle are playing very well. They’ve lost 4-0 at Wigan but galvanised themselves to win at 2-0 Chelsea on Wednesday night. Their form is good and it won’t be an easy game for City.”

“Newcastle, as we know, is a very difficult place to go to and they’re playing well.” “As everyone knows, winning at Chelsea is a very difficult job. We had not done it for eight years, so Newcastle’s  form is good and it will not be an easy game.”

“We’ll be aware of the game going on before ours. You can’t avoid it. We still have to prepare for our game, though. We won’t neglect our preparation for our game.”

Sunday’s game will be Newcastle’s last game of what had been a truly remarkable season,  in which the Magpies have already racked up an impressive 19 wins in their 36 games, and they also have 15 clean sheets.

Newcastle are on a hot streak of 7 wins in 8 games and 6 clean sheets, and it will be the icing on the cake for Newcastle if  we  can beat Manchester City on Sunday afternoon, in front of a packed  St. James’ Park.

Just think of what the atmosphere would be if Newcastle,  win to end the home campaign of what has been an astonishing come-back season for the Magpies.

We don’t know if Newcastle can win this game, but that’s what they will be trying to do, and the Geordie fans there will be there wishing their side to victory – as always.

A nine foot tall bronze statue of the revered Bobby Robson will be unveiled at the Stadium just three hours before kick-off – just in case our players need a little more inspiration.

But a win will keep Newcastle in the hunt for a Champions League place,  and will raise their profile even higher in world football.

That’s what we are hoping for, and it’s hard to think our current side cannot do it – since they have been so magnificent this season.

Howay The Lads!!

• JamesP32

May 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Is anyone else caught in two minds? on one hand I don’t want Manure to get another premier league trophy but on the other hand I want us to stuff man city on sunday; so I guess what all is left is to hope Swansea beat Manure but I highly doubt they will.

• davybtoon

May 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM

It’s gonna b class game on Sunday

• tdt

May 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I know you’re in the US, but when do you sleep Ed!? You’re a blogging machine!

• TemuriKetsbaia

May 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Couldn’t care less who wins the league. It’s all about getting 3rd/4th.

• davybtoon

May 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM

So excited champions league or Europa league buzzing either one, can’t wait to see new kits for next season n find out we’re are pre season tour is gonna be n then all the new signings n still 2 great games to play

• tdt

May 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I really don’t want Man U to win the league. However Toon takes priority over all other matters. My dad’s a lifelong City fan but followed Newcastle with me for the past 15 years. He’s torn between who he wants to win on Sunday, they are going for the league for first time in 40 years or something I suppose!

Ideally we win sunday, Norwich beat man u, then they both win their last game next week: then everyone’s happy! (except man u fan but they’ve had enough successful to last a few lifetimes, greedy swines!)

• Charlietoon

May 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM

We have to break it down to basics. We are at home against another good team fighting for three points. We know the crowd will turn up and provide plenty of motivation and I am sure with the players we have there will be a belief in the crowd and the team that we can get the win. Who cares what happens at Man U. They could win and then lose or draw….anything could happen in the final two games. If we can get through this match and get three points Everton away will be the game of the season for us.

• Tsunki

May 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM

tdt – my dad was a lifelong diehard city fan and my first kit was the sky blue white shorts, he took me to see the ’69 final at wembley where city beat leciester 1-0. Growing up in Peterlee was mackem country so being a city fan was a bit oddball to say the least. I grew to appreciate the value of being anti-mackem, so before my teens I was a mag and no turning back. My pop will be turning in his grave now but I so want us to beat citeh and I could not give a stuff about their first prem title or what happens to anyone else. HWTL!

• tdt

May 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Yeah it must be a strange, hollow feeling to win the league but know that you’d bought it. I mean, I’m so proud of this newcastle team because we’re the underdogs who haven’t shortfused our league position by buying two +£20M players for each position. We’ve achieved more than any other team in the league this season, considering the stick (and general mockery and lack of respect) we get from the media, selling the old guard and bring in several bargins that chose our great footballing spirit over moneybags teams such as Liverpool, Chelsea, and the Manchesters.

• Kc-Toon

May 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

So people would rather see man city buy the league title, i just dont see the owners caring less about the actual achievement, other than having a nice shiny trophy to gloat about, same applies with the players. Would much rather see a team such as united, with a decent history behind them, and good english players coming through the ranks

• LTRobert

May 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM

The best part is the guys from all over england have great respect for us this season. Esp. Liverpool fans.

• OTP

May 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Tbh I would actually prefer city to win the league than united. But that would mean they would have to beat us and I don’t want that to happen! We may be able to pull off a win if we play to our strengths and their weaknesses. Look out for a tactical preview and match analysis on http://one-touch-passing.blogspot.co.uk/

• Ozsurf Toon

May 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Great blog…read it for years but never contributed.

Personally i think we will get something out of the City game…Everton away is a tough game to finish with and we might struggle to pick up anything at Goodison.

Regarding transfers a mate of mine in Germany who is a sports journalist informs me that we are after a Japanese RB who plays for Schalke…think his name is Uchide????

For the 1st time in over 40 years of supporting this often frustrating club of ours, it looks like we are building solid foundations for us to maybe lift a trophy sometime soon…

Just keep hold of the players we have and add a couple of pacey defenders to compliment the awesome Colo and we will be styling.

• karasu

May 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM

@ post #1

You’re not the only one. I’ve been considering going Two-Face (DC Comics TM) and cut up a Magpie and Citizen shirt to sew them together.

• karasu

May 4, 2012 at 3:20 AM

1 thing is for sure though, we are all rooting for ol’ ‘arry’s men to falter.

• yankazaz

May 4, 2012 at 3:33 AM

@1 Believe me, it’s not easy to break down Swansea if they going to the match with “not lose” in mind. Swansea can keep the ball well (wherever the ball is I dont mind), so I think a draw is possible for Swansea.
    Beside of that, Ars will take Norwich and WBA, which games I think not so easy as Norwich has got strength and play long ball as Stoke…

So just pray for us take a win on ManC, if it’s happen, Everton game will be the final of the decade and 4 spot is in our reach!

Anyway, can’t see any reason Spurs can lose point on their next fixture, and we need 4 point in one game to pass them by in case they’re lose cause our goal difference…

And
    It’s a shame as Cisse’s goal not even mentioned in this article. For me, every crazy goal need luck (because it’s so hard to do it again – even impossible), but the goal of Cisse or like R.Carlos free kick is the unique. Anyway, I’m so proud to be one of the Toon army, even I’m in VietNam, and all of my friend, ManU or Real or Barca are the team they follow.

Still remember the game 4-3 we win Leed Utd with Great Sir Bobby Robson in charge. That game make me fall in love with Toon spirit and that will never change…

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Another mind game, both city & united using us as mind game.

• Klatoon

May 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM

What I wouldnt want is us handing manure the title BUT not making the CL !

This is strange, ve watched Villa’s poor recent form hoping they get sucked into the basement battle but im now praying they halt it with a win against Spuds.

• cupiddstunt

May 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Kc-Toon @ # 10

Such a short sighted argument, manure has been buying the league for the last two decades.

If you look at the money spent by both clubs I think you will find there is very little difference apart from the time scale of the money being spent.

For many many years now manure has been outspending and outbidding the opposition in order to stay at the top.

But then again why let facts get in the way of a good old moan.

This is about the only game this season where I will not be too down if we lose.

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM

The game will be massive, all eyes will be at St. James Park, it will be good for NUFC advertisement. If we could perform like we did against Mutd or Chelsea, we will gain a lot of new fans.

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Klatoon

If Sunderland could win at MU then we won’t be handing the title to MU. So…. You better pray for Sunderland too hahahahah

• Whistler

May 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM

WTF are some of you lot on!!??

Talking about wanting Man City to win the league, being torn on loyalty, not being too down if they beat us on Sunday, soiling our sacred Black & White shirt by cutting and sewing together with a Man City shirt!!!???…..are you lot for real!!!???

Who gives a flying fook about anyone else in the league and what they do….this is a Toon blog about all things Black & White….the next 2 games for us are ALL about US and pushing as hard as we can til we have nothing left to give for Champions League football no matter who stands in our way! Bollox to Man City, if it’s not us winning the league then 1st place is of no consequence…..HWTL

• Whistler

May 4, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Muppets

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Tiote or Raylor will be playing?

• Klatoon

May 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Heard Pards say Tiote would be fit to face City, but I hope he rests him for Everton.

Pray for scumderland??? Dont push it LOL 🙂

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM

LOL @ Klatoon

• redondo77

May 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Btw since Jonas playing more defensive lately, I think it would be better if he swap position with Santon. Both of them can play as wing back and winger.

• BigKirky

May 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Unfortunately I feel that Arsenal and Spurs will win their last two games, although I’m praying that the other teams can get some points.

Sunday’s atmosphere could be the best of the season I think.

On a point of atmosphere, people talk of how good the spectacle of having all those scarves waving are, yet there’s only a few who still do it. I’m one of them and was doing it well before the club were giving out the scarves.

If you go to the games, come on man! Bring ur scarves and circle them in the air! 🙂 it’s a fantastic sight when everyone’s doing it.

• BigKirky

May 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Fair play to Talksport yesterday having an hour devoted to Newcastle United yesterday to commend the achievements and progress which we’ve made so far this season on Adrian Durham’s drive time show.

They did it because they said that in the coming weeks a lot of the focus will switch to the league winners and the relegation teams so they wanted to pay our team respect sort of thing for the phenomenal way the season has panned out.

I’m not overly keen on some of Adrian Durham’s views most of the time, especially the Drogba diving issue if anyone heard that, but singing the praises of the toon is always going to go down very well indeed 🙂

Well done Talksport for that.

Richard ‘bear hands’ Keys suggested that I think it’s sometime next Wednesday when they have a treat in store if ur a toon fan.

• Toon_Army

May 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Fergie still trying those old Jedi Mind tricks, the older he gets the more he looks like that fella Yoda.

• TorqToon

May 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Well said whistler!!!! Got there before I had a chance!!

Can not believe what I’m reading….! Our ONLY concern should be going out to win our final 2 games…not worrying about the reprocussions of our results! I couldn’t care less who wins the league, mine (…and every toon army members) priority should be what our beloved Newcastle Utd do! All this talk of split loyalties and ripping up the black and white is ridiculous.

I bleed black and white…as should everyone who follows Newcastle United. Let’s concern ourselves with what WE do and not what’s happening elsewhere.

• Pardew's fist pump

May 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Whistler

I’m with you, anyone who says anything like that is a disgrace and should go and support Man City.

• Lee Dodd

May 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM

All We want is a Win. I would Play The Side That Beat Chelsea. If Tiote is Fit Play Him as He is as Hard as Nails No Messin. We need to Boss The Midfield keep Them at bay . Sod man utd we want champions league next season – Europa league is a wicked acheivement – looking forward to the end of game walk about by the players – if we loose so what we have had a brilliant season. Alan Pardews Black and White Army !!!!

• StuW

May 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I couldn’t care less who wins the PL as long as it isn’t ManCity. We can let ManU put one hand on the title if we can win.

• StuW

May 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Have to say though, for the first time in years I am confident going into every match we play, thinking we can take the points.

AP Manager of the year without a doubt, Ba signing of the season