It’s Simply Do Or Die For Newcastle This Afternoon

It seems that Alan Pardew is quite relaxed for today’s game against Manchester City, which is the biggest game for Newcastle since our relegation season three years ago.

Alan Pardew – relaxed about this afternoon?

The game will be watched by a massive word-wide TV audience, and we’d love to know the estimate of the size of the TV audience this afternoon, but it could be approaching one billion viewers.

With Arsenal again dropping points at the Emirates yesterday, Newcastle can beat City and go into 3rd place, depending on how Tottenham fare at Aston Villa, in a game that kicks off 30 minutes after Newcastle’s game starts.

Depending on the results today could decide to a large extent which Manchester team will win the league, and which teams have the best chance of finishing in 3rd and 4th places in the league table in the final game of the season to be played next Sunday afternoon.

Indeed places one through five in the league table are up for grabs this afternoon,  and we could see some changes in top five by tonight.

Alan is looking forward to the game, but says he’s not particularly nervous:

“To be honest, I get more nervous about playing teams that I think we should beat.”  “So this game is one of those where you go in with all expectation and positivity because you know it’s a game where you could come out not too unscathed as a unit.”

“My philosophy is very much about the team and the unit; making sure we are still together.”  “After losing 4-0 to Wigan last week, the unit could have been hurt, so that’s why Chelsea was so important for us in terms of turning that around.”

“We keep the unit tight because we keep setting ourselves goals and missions. We have players who are hungry and just feeding that hunger with different tactical plans and different agendas.”

“I can feel the fans’ excitement in the Newcastle city center. I know it’s going to be electric come kick-off. I know City’s stadium has been applauded this season for atmosphere, but they ain’t seen nothing yet.”

“I am excited. Of course I am. The motivation for this game from me is that I don’t have to do anything. I can just stay in my room.”  “What we do need to get right is what is said at half-time and the substitutions. That could be significant.”

“When you play top quality technicians like they are, I think it is very important to show them respect and cover each other.”  “You have to expect to get beaten as a defender, such as James Perch is going to get beaten by David Silva.”

“Then Davide Santon is going to get beaten by Sergio Aguero, but there will be someone there covering. If we do that then you have a chance of getting a clean sheet. City are a great team. They just have had a great boost by Tevez at the right time.”

It’s really do or die this afternoon for this Newcastle side, and if we see our lads going all out and doing their very best with 100% effort, commitment and pride, then whatever the result will be just fine with us.

But of course a win will send Newcastle fans into high orbit come 3:3o0 pm this afternoon, and if Man City are losing at the end of 90 minutes, we hope there’s not an inordinate amount of stoppage time added on, to give them a chance to score some goals.

A win would be absolutely  fantastic for Newcastle, and that’s what we are hoping for.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

• check the toastie

May 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Hope Tiote has the game of his life today, needs to stay well focused and not venture forward at all, always protecting our back 4, him or Gutti, imagine we wil set up 4231, match Man City up and let the crowd do the rest,

Setting off with the little man (8) in 20 minutes, the boy is a lucky omen, 6 games no defeats, pinch a 1-0 would be superb, Fancy Demba Ba to come gud today.

• Spuggy

May 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM

City are in form, looked awesome against Manu, it’s gonna be a tough tough game.

We need the breaks, a bit of luck and hopefully some good old geordie passion to see us through. Not to mention a wonder goal from Cisse or Ba.

• check the toastie

May 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM

And i was first, unbelievable start to the day,

Gud words by Pardiola, the man has exceeded the wildest of expectations.

• Spuggy

May 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Pardew and the lads should get a standing ovasion at the end of the match today – even if we lose 0-5. Incredible season.

Pards has proved all the doubters wrong, including those on this blog – you know who you are 😉

• Oleg G

May 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hahah… made me laugh.

“It’s Simply Do Or Die For Newcastle This Afternoon” (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

“It seems that Alan Pardew is quite relaxed for today’s game against Manchester City” (sounds like he is bored)

“…which is the biggest game for Newcastle since our relegation season three years ago”.
    (Pampampam!!!)

So which is it Ed? 🙂

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Thinly veiled attacks

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

May 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Spuggy….Pardew’s just been lucky. He’ll be found out today, yawn yawn, rubbish rubbish, etc etc

• Garreth

May 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

This game is going to be so feisty, and I can at least one red card… I just hope it’s not for one of our men (Tiote springs to mind).

There’s one thing we have that they don’t… Togetherness. The squad is always playing for each other, and we’re not full of individuals like Man City. It’s important to score a first half goal today, and go in at the break leading, as their second half record seems to be incredible (I’ve not checked the records but they seem to score a hell of a lot of goals in the second half of matches).

Manchester City have already proved they choke when it’s in their hands, so let’s make them do that again and punish them! 2-1 to the toon! HWTL!

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

MAN CITY have a poor away record (relatively and recently), no need to be nervous.

its like a student who has written his exams well, why worry abt the result 😉

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Tiote has been sent OFF 1ce in his toon career, and even that was not a red card against stevenage

• Spuggy

May 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

@ CODARM

Lol

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Today is World Laughter Day so LOL

• Spuggy

May 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

……………lol

lol…lol……….lol…..lol

…….lol……….lol……..

lol……….lol……….lol

………….lol…………..

Eleven city players drowning.

• magpie6699

May 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

To be honest, if Citeh play to their best we have no chance, we need them to be a little off form. But then a lot of teams have “not played well” against us – might have something to do with us as a team.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

May 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oleg

Hahah… made me laugh.

hahahahahahahahh I know what you mean mate…I feel exactly the same way…

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

May 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Both teams have the attack to hurt the other team, this game really comes down to the defence imo.

Will we have the brave, nothing’s getting past us defence out today ?? I really hope so

• nufc786

May 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM

lol lol
    lollllll
    lol
    lol
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• eric

May 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Liam one long eyebrow gallacher has been on calling us Geordie wankers So come on TOON! show the Manc inbred what your made of and stuff them today!

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I expect an Unchanged Team

• stephen1971

May 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

we,re unbeaten on a sunday all season, lets keep that record going

• MacToon

May 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Robbie Savage promised that taxi driver a new taxi if we make 4th, could happen today 😉

• Offkey

May 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Dont get me wrong, today should be a really tough game, however, I had more doubts before Wigan, at home I feel we can match and beat anyone…..

• MacToon

May 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Oh my maths is out, it’s 5th guarenteed if we win today!

• southafricantoon

May 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I’m in south africa and I’m spending my morning on the toilet because my stomach can’t handle the nerves anymore!!! But I wondeR how Pardew and the team must really be feeling…..

• Slater

May 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hello all. Been following the blog for a few years now do finally decided to put my first comment on. Looking forward to a great game this afternoon. On a different note did anybody else notice that Tim Krul was wearing the number 1 on the new keeper shirt on the official website video?

• Hatem's better than Messi

May 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

@southafricantoon

Too much info mate.
    Geordies don’t discuss their bowel movements … ever

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

2 hours 2 go

• st0r3z

May 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

any good links for todays game as im abroad and aint spending 2 hours lookin around the city on the off chance a pubs showing it lol like i did wednesday

• aztec

May 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

• JP...from The Rock

May 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

On a side note, does anyone know if one more yellow card will mean suspension for one of our stars? I am sure either Tiote or Cabaye are on the edge of suspension for our crucial game v Everton. Anyone know?

Ps. 2-1 or 2-2 today for the Toon come on get in there!

What a carrot to have dangling in front of our players the Champions League. This is going to be some game and I couldn’t even sleep well with all the excitement 🙂

Whatever happens the lads and Pardew deserve a standing ovation during the Lap of Honour. What a magnificant season we’ve had.

HWTL

• toonpanda18

May 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Sorry guys but the reason we will lose today is because I’m going. I have only seen the Toon win once on about 17 occasions and that was back in 2008 🙁

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

No suspension hanging over any 1

• cisse_the_legend

May 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Relax u guys.. Tiote’s gonna tear them apart.. Besides we really do have the best forward line in the league right?

• Indian Magpie

May 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Toon panda I will have u abducted

• JP...from The Rock

May 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

That’s good to hear Indian Magpie. By the way I love the Sir Bobby Statue great stuff and should have increased the buzz around the ground for this amazing spectacle we are all about to witness in an hour and a half…tick tock tick tock…

• toonpanda18

May 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sorry Indian magpie, maybe the luck will change today?!

• Offkey

May 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Indian – Pressure must be getting to you…….you sound more sinister than usual.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Feeling strangly optimistic bout todays game especially with SBR back @SJP! I reckon 3-1 with ba benny n of course cisse!!

On a side note very sad to see gazza these days absolute shell of a man now truly terrible