Champions League Aspirations – It’s All Over Now – Not!

It’s really quite amazing that Newcastle can still finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th place in the Premier League, with just one game to go.

Alan Pardew – after the game yesterday

And for those Newcastle fans who were really disappointed at losing to Manchester City yesterday – and that includes us – we have to remember that last August a number of us were thinking it could be a relegation fight this season, with Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton all having left in the summer.

But in fact the players we brought in last year and in January  – Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Davide Santon in particular, have all been stellar buys for Newcastle, and we are a much better team than last season.

And the fact we have 19 points more than all of last season is proof of that, and after the game Alan Pardew talked to Sky Sports and said it was all to play for:

“It’s simple for us, if we don’t win our game we can’t make it anyway. The other two have nervy games.”

“Arsenal are at West Brom and Tottenham are at home to Fulham needing to beat them in case we win. They will all be looking at us and we just have to win and see what happens.”

“If someone had said to me at the start of the season that we would go to Everton looking for a Champions League place I would have laughed at them.”

“But we have had a great season. I am proud of the players, even their performance today. Our fans we brilliant to us at the end – it’s not often you lose 2-0 at home and the stadium stays behind to clap you off.”

“It is just nice to see Newcastle United getting respect again. This is a club bathed in history and tradition and when it’s not at the top of the division it is not right.”

“They are where they are, they belong there. It is my job to make sure we stay there. It’s not easy, but we will give it another good go in the summer,  and hopefully we will be stronger next year.”

There’s nothing Newcastle can do about what Arsenal and Tottenham do in their final games at West Brom and at home to Fuilham  next Sunday respectively, or what Chelsea do at Liverpool tomorrow night – probably win – or at home to Blackburn Rovers.

All Newcastle have to concentrate on is winning the very last game at Goodison Park, and then seeing where we end up.

It will be anywhere from 3rd to 6th, but even in 6th position that’s 6 places higher than last season, and the club will get an extra £4.8M from the Premier League for that position than last year – there’s two players right there. 😀

• Indian Magpie

May 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I am not an Optimist, But hope springs eternal

• rich_toonfan

May 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

There is definitely 3 points in one of everton, west brom or fulham the way they have been playing.

We just have to hope it isn’t everton and if we play to our best we could take 3 points.

It would be great if we make champs league but even if we dont it has been a great season and I am looking forward to some great games in the Europa league.

• Gylfi As Charged

May 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Please, don’t be content, no let up against Everton. We win and I suspect we will pip one of them into CL paradise.

• rich_toonfan

May 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

@indian

have you ever been to a newcastle game? just wondered if you had managed to make the treck over?

I am saving to hopefully get to india and watch an IPL cricket game next year. We had a player from Deccan Chargers at my club as a pro a few years back, Shikhar Dhawan…he was amazing and seems to be doing well in the IPL too…would love to and watch.

Whats the Deccan area like for tourists?

• Beattie25

May 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

If we scrape into 4th place I’m buyin a Bayern Munich shirt!

• Indian Magpie

May 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Moussa dembele is belgian too, lukaku brothers, hazard brothers are all belgian

• Beattie25

May 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

My biggest fear is complacency in the summer. Just because we have finished top 6 doesn’t mean we have the quality to do it again next season. We are in desperate need of additional quality and young back up and that hasn’t changed for 2 years.

I pray that the management team at nufc know this as much as we fans do.

• Indian Magpie

May 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

rich_toonfan

No Unfortunately not, Deccan is thee Hyderabad area South india, state of Andhra Pradesh, Shikhar Dhawan is actually from Delhi and started his IPL career at delhi.

The area is Good famous for its Biryani (Rice in Chicken, many different renditions) and some Mughal heritage, Up and coming area, with It Sector and yes has a coast too

Roshan magpie can probably tell you more

• rich_toonfan

May 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Well we have improved from last season so see no reason why we wont again.

We aren’t able to buy 10 players at a time…..we will add another 4 or 5 this year and keep looking to build like that I think.

• Indian Magpie

May 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Beattie25

if we finished 3rd than dont bear any expenses

• rich_toonfan

May 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Thanks Indian….I will have to ask him when he is on.

Yeh when I first knew him it was the season before he started his IPL career with delhi. Top quality player….hope he gets another chance at international level as he didn’t impress when given his chance.

• Indian Magpie

May 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

rich_toonfan

which club do you play for, i am a good cricketer too, and safe to say better than shola Ameobi 🙂

All rounder

• rich_toonfan

May 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM

will post on new page indian

• Jim@Goldspink

May 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Do we really want a Champions League place?

– cash influx would propel us on to a bigger stage
    – player attraction
    – current players wont want to leave
    – Excitement factor

– Ashley could keep most of the profit generated and it won’t really matter
    – We wont do well in the competition, finish 4th in group and wont even get in Europa
    – too much too soon
    – We could have a good Europa campaign and make quarters at least (possibility of a trophy)

Personally I would love us to make it but I think we shouldn’t be discontent finishing outside the top 4. However I cant help but feel this will be our best chance for a long time. Look at teams like Stoke how they have fared in the premierleague when enduring a europa campaign. If we played on a thursday night in Belgrade and then had to play Norwich on a saturday we’d have far less of a chance to win the league game than we would if we werent in the comp!

Mixed feelings I think.

• southafricantoon

May 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’m so proud of Newcastle!!! Jim@ I’m sure Napoli didn’t think it was impossible to get pass the group stages…. With City and Bayern in their group….. So if we make it why should we go into it with negativity!!!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Lads! Lets put this into perspective eh!

At the start how many of us were saying “Be happy with top Ten”?

Now we could be looking at anywhere from third to sixth!
    Even if we lose to Everton we are guaranteed Europa League!
    Which i for one did not expect at the Go! But then it has in the past been said to me not to accept Mediocrity. Naturally i want us to go to Goodison and do the same to them that we did to them that we did to Chelski at the Bridge!

But i don,t want us relying on other scores to get where we want to be! Loads of “ÏF,S “and “BUT,s”! going into the last game! Just want us to WIN!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

God! my grammers, Shite!

• Minato

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

First of all I want to congratulate the lads on a fantastic season. Gave it a good go against City and while I must confess to being disappointed, couldn’t really have asked more of them. On another day could have been different.

Fact is the draw at tottenham pretty much keeps things the same as I expected before the arsenal game.

Even if we had registered the win, on most occassions spurs would have taken their chances against villa and won. I felt it was always going to be necessary for fulham to take at least two points off them on the last day anyway. For me nothing has really changed, really is simple. We win, they draw and we are there.

I agree with those that think this could be our best chance to make it. However if we don’t i would like us to hope that we will make 6 or 7 additions in the summer. If i was pardew i would then use fringe players and young players in the europa league to give an opportunity for experience and game time (particularly in the early rounds). This way we can avoid the mistakes made my Stoke and keep the whole squad happy and playing.

Champions league would be a fantastic result, but honestly win lose or draw on the final day and i won’t be able to help being delighted with our season.