The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Magpies Halve The Wage Bill And Have A Much Better Side

12:28 pm, Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

It somehow seems against the Conservation of Energy.

Mike Ashley – excellent job of  Newcastle reducing wage bill

Matter cannot be created or destroyed – as I recall – but Newcastle have done something which is really weird - they have more than halved their wage bill and yet are challenging for a top four position in the Premier League.

The news is in the ESPN Magazine’s Global Salary Report, and Newcastle’s total wage bill is now a lot lower than we thought it was.

For all sports teams, including football, baseball, basketballand the like, Newcastle are in 127th place and last year we were in 63rd place,  in the table of  total wages per player the teams pay out.

Here’s the table of the top 11 teams, and Newcastle who are on the bottom row, were in 127th place.

Position and
7. AC Milan $6,104,769 8$152,619,219
8. Bayern Munich $5,907,6522$170,231,332
9. Philadelphia Phillies $5,817,9651$174,538,938
10. Internazionale $5,700,915 -5$142,522,871
11. Manchester United $5,521,423 6$138,035,567
127. Newcastle $2,239,808 -34$55,995,199

The figures are in US $ but multiple by about 0.62 to get UK pounds.

So Newcastle’s average wages per player are £1,388,680 and the total wage bill for this year is £34,717.023, and when you consider the wage bill when we were relegated back in May of 2009 was a massive £74M, that’s a huge decrease in Newcastle’s wages.

It also shows that Newcastle were able to cut their wage bill in the last year by 34%, just over a third - unbelievable.

And with Newcastle’s revenue around £89M the wages are about 38% of revenue and that’s very low, and at the moment Manchester City’s wage bill exceeds their total revenues – so no wonder they lost £197M in the last financial year.

And it helps to explain just how well Newcastle are getting their financials in order.

This is all good new,s because Newcastle have a top side and they are not paying big wages (yet), although the wage bill will increase as Newcastle become a regular member of the Premier League top four – if Newcastle become a regular member of the Premier League top four.

Newcastle will be a poster child for how to get your finances under control, and also how to build a top team without spending huge transfer fees,  like clubs like Manchester City and Liverpool have done - to name but two.

And as Newcastle’s revenues increase, with European competition etc – the plan is to keep Newcastle on an even keel, and any  profits will be poured back into the  Newcastle coffers.

That’s according to Derek Llambias, so increased revenues mean that the wage bill can go higher, and we can bring in better players.

Whether you love or hate owner Mike Ashley - you have to admit it’s all working beautifully at the moment.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 lewytoon // May 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

• 2 the_besty_show // May 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

News just keeps getting better and better, something has to go wrong soon with ashley in charge. Mans making the whole of the country look like idiots

• 3 Novocastrian66 // May 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think Newcastle must be lumping out big signing on fees, to keep wage expenditure under control. Small transfer fees, large signing on fees, generous bonuses, reasonable salaries. This is a theory not based on any facts other than the salary table displayed.

• 4 nden85 // May 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

we still have highly paid players as well, but you don’t mind paying the likes of colocini £70k a week when he’s pushing you into europe and getting in the team of the year. its when you pay pricks like owen £120k a week to get you relegated when you begin to truly hate and resent footballers.

• 5 the_besty_show // May 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

i think if we want to keep all our star players we will have to give some of them big wage rises or bigger clubs will poach them with offers of double/triple wages

• 6 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

are all you negative so called “supporters” gonna just sit there and let Ed praise Mike Ashley like he has done.
    Absolutely disgusting if you ask me. Crawling to our “no-idea”, “dictator” owner.
    What has Mike done to deserve such praise exactly?

Got us to seriously challenge for Champions’ League just 2 seasons back from relegation?
    Ridiculous!

Bought players at well under market value and seen them become one of the most successful teams the EPL has seen this season?
    Rubbish!

Turned around a massive debt and put Newcastle on the road to financial prosperity?
    Utter Crap!

Come on guys! I can’t do this by myself!

Just when you want the whingeing &%$#@es to speak up they’re nowhere to be found!

GOOD!!!! AND LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!!!!!!

• 7 catchy in norway // May 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

its about time fifa step in and do something about this, i thought they were gon a do something a few years ago,,

its unfair that teams like chelsea madrid man c psg and many more are just buying success , i know we nearly do it in the 90s, but now its got out of hand

i also think to shake up the end of the season to make it more exciting, the top 6 teams from the season before should all face each other, for there last 5 games each, this would allow new teams to break into the top six, given them a chace of europe, this given them more cash

what do you guys think

• 8 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Aussie…At last. Someone to stand up to the horrid plague on our club that is Mike Ashley! Get him out now before he ruins this fine club!

• 9 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

catchy…so next season our last 5 games would be Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea? That’d be a nice 15 points guaranteed in the run in. Can’t see that even being considered, would make for an exciting end though (a bit too exciting for me).

• 10 nden85 // May 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Out:

Lovernkrands – free – (20k p/w)
    Guthrie – free – (20k p/w)
    Smith – free – (60k p/w)
    Kadar – free – (5k p/w)
    Simpson – £4m – (20k p/w)
    Best – £2m – (15k p/w)
    Ranger – £1m – (5k p/w)
    Xisco – £500k – (50k p/w) *may have to contribute towards his wages

Total fees = £7.5m
    Total wages = £195k p/w; £10.1m p/s

In:

Excitement . . . . .

• 11 Novocastrian66 // May 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

What this table also shows is that Newcastle are under no fiscal pressure to sell. If any player wants to leave we may have no choice. We will not be selling to balance the books it will be because it is the right deal for the club. We’re in a position of strength, being able to afford to increase salaries if necessary and demand large fees if a player’s head is turned.

• 12 catchy in norway // May 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

ibiza

why not, ? i think it would be good, yeh sure it would be tough, but who ever won would deserve it,

i just think its hard for any team to compete when its normally the same top 6, there rich clubs anyway, and they get all the europe money every year,

top 6 would be battleing it out, then 7/8/9 would have something to go for knowing that they wouldnt be playing any of the top 6 with a chance for them to get into it

• 13 Wor Shearer // May 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

@aussietoonfan

True, it’s all been a bit of a disaster really. Now, were we talking about Liverpool or Blackburn?

• 14 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I knew you were there somewhere lurking under your rock.
    Did you bring your other pals with you or are they “grounded”.

• 15 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Catchy…I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts, as we’d be playing the same games over the course of the season, however, you’d have to time your form perfectly, as a dip at the end would be a nightmare.

I’m hoping they will enforce (or are able to) the financial fair play rules, as this will, to some extent, balance out the playing field. I think we’ve shown this year that buying smartly and running your club efficiently can enable you to push for a top 6 place.

• 16 Wor Shearer // May 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

what?

• 17 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Aussie…who was that aimed at?

• 18 alec6247toon // May 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Its great that we are probably in the best financial shape in the entire league, potentially even better than Arsenal. I wonder what their wage/turnover ratio is? Probably higher than 38%.

With regards to the future, we are in a position now to strengthen and consistently push for Europa League for the next few seasons. Once we have established ourselves there, and we are making a profit with the naming rights to the stadium having been sold, selling some of the fringe players in the next few years etc. then we will be in a position to strengthen again, and get those 2 or 3 signings to enable us to challenge consistently for Champions League football.

I don’t think we should get ahead of ourselves too much, what we have achieved this season has ben phenomenal and I will be hoping as much as everyone else that we beat Everton on sunday, and Fulham and Bayern Munich can do us a favour, but I have to also think, how likely is it that we can replicate this next season. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I think next season the ambition will be get into the Europa League again, make sure we stay top 6 for a few seasons and then push on.

Mike Ashley has been very canny with his business so far, and he will probably look at it as a nice additional amount of income which he didn’t expect, but it’s still not going to change the long term plan he has for the club, and I can’t see him spending more than £10-12million on one player for another few years, when we are ready to challenge for top 4.

• 19 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

@Wor Shearer

Don’t get me started about that Judas fiasco. What was it? 35 million and he goes to Liverpuke and scores what? 6 goals. FOR THEM!!!!

And what did WE spend our cash on?

Yeah that’s right 2 Senegalese players who only scored what 29 odd goals?
    It makes me sick!

Thanks Mike! Terrible business!

• 20 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Sorry for any confusion, but that was for all those “true supporters”. Everyone who posts regularly knows who they are, but I suspect they won’t see it themselves.

I was just trying the other side to see what they get out of it.

Still can’t get what they enjoy!

• 21 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I got your sarcasm…hope mine came across too :)

By the way, those “true supporters” also go by the name mackems!

• 22 stuart no9 // May 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

aussie—- giz a clue!

• 23 Tsunki // May 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I blame Optimism Valley. Hooligans :)

• 24 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // May 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

lads Lads :)

Have a look at the poor scouser :))))

scroll down to the vi

• 25 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

stuart…stuart…..stuart. my dear lad.

“Everyone who posts regularly knows who they are”

you like me read this blog every single day. and you need a clue.

Really? I mean REALLY????

REALLY?????????????

• 26 chris_g // May 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

aussietoonfan – haha, yeah, I couldn’t agree more.

But apart from the reduced debt and the sound financial structure and the quality scouting system and the improvements to the squad and the employment of a manager who has got us into Europe……..

what has Mike Ashley ever done for us?

• 27 LEROI // May 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Now weve got the books sorted lets recruit some good players. we neeb 1 cb that looks like Douglas to me, then we need a cm to replace guthrie looks like we got amalfitano already and now there broad speculation that nile ranger and leon best will be sold we can afford to purchase either jay rodrigues or Jordan Rhodes.

• 28 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Tsunki…Would seem the best place to lay the blame…destructive bunch them optimists :)

• 29 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // May 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

What is this Mike Ashley talk..

He indeed deserves a load of credit and has proved critics and fans alike wrong…. So far we are one of the best run clubs in europe if you ask me….

That does not mean we are up for a champioship though but long term its healthy…

• 30 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Gorgonzola… seems like a pleasant lad. Obviously likes the ref’s decision

• 31 Beattie25 // May 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Well what a season it has been. So many thrills and spills, so many ups and downs, but finally we have the one thing we have all craved for years… hope.

I will remember this season as fondly as any I have witnessed as it has given us all pride, belief and so many moments of utter brilliance that it has to be one of the best seasons ever despite where it is we eventually finish.

I know there is 1 game left but I’d thought I’d take this moment to thank you guys for being a part of the many memories I’ll take from the past year. It was good to witness it all as an individual supporting nufc but to share the moments with people whom have similar pasion has made it a little bit more special!

Anyway I think we should do an end of season award ceremony for the blog. I know it won’t take off but it’d be fun to hear your thoughts on the following awards I’m giving out.

Most Intelligent Blogger – ‘Niafron’ – The man from France with an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of all the players we are linked with from over the channel and has better English thanany on here despite French being his first language!

Least Intelligent Blogger – ‘Plan B, Eric, Billy, Bob, Ted etc…’ – love how he can call people unintelligent and continue to spell so poorly.

Most Interesting Posts – ‘WWJBD’ – I don’t agree much with what he says but he has very interesting things to say.

Least Interesting Posts – ‘Indian Mag’ – “First”, need I say more?!

Optimist Of The Year – ‘Ibizatoon’ – Founding member of OV and continues to provide welcome relief to the doom mongering.

Pessimist Of The Year – ‘Jimmymagpie’ – Oldest supporter but like a typical old man always has a gripe!

Worst Wind Up Mercahnt – ‘JimmyXavi’ – He brought out my darkside.

Where Are They Now? – ‘Ruddy, JFA & LewSpi’ – Please come back!

Moment Of The Season – Cisse chooses us over the Mackems and the blog goes into meltdown with hundreds often getting stiffies at once.

Lifetime Award For Services To NUFC Fans – ‘Dr. Ed Harrison’ Thanks to Ed for all his hard work, commitment and undoubted passion. He is the man that gives us the forum to express our views and without him we are nothing.

• 32 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // May 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

CODARM

I am still laughing reminds me of that Gunners fan when they drew against us :)

HAHAHAHHAAH this fool is hilarious ….

• 33 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

On a slight tangent, my long service comes up next year, and I’ll probably get the unfortunate chance to get over there somehow and watch this team play live in the flesh for the first time ever.
    Knowing my luck I’ll probably have to watch the Magpies take apart the Mackems at St. Jam………almost slipped up there. OH THE HELL WITH IT!!!!!!

ST. JAMES PARK.

Or I could even be forced to cheer on while we win the Europa title if not the Champion’s League.

I’m already dreading the thought of going to the travel agent now.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 34 LEROI // May 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

oh yeah if simmo goes we want no less than 5m and we could either play steve taylor as rb or see if tavernier has what it takes whilst giving douglas a chance at cb.

• 35 LEROI // May 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

is the window open as soon as the season finishes or is there a set date?

• 36 Beattie25 // May 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

New award to add to the list:

Raving Loony – ‘Aussietoonfan’ – Mental. Like the Hulk smasssshhhhh

• 37 toonincheek // May 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I see the summer transfer window continuing the same policy we have adopted to get us where we are.
    Let’s remember the MA plan – buy (mostly) young and cheap, develop and (often) sell on as part of the financial wellbeing of the Club.

Remember – we still owe MA a tidy sum by way of his interest free loan.

Again, all credit to mainly Pardew/Carver and Carr plus all the other backroom boys, right down to the cook tea lady.

I’m not an Ashley knocker, but if getting a successful team was as simple as imposing srict financial restrictions on transfer fees and wages, success would be an easy matter.

I do credit MA with many things, but I still think there was a large element of luck in appointingPardew and Carr.
    They have been the real secret of our success.

And Yes, I know, MA appointed them, and we would have blamed him if they had been bad appointments.

Still say he got lucky.

And so did we.

• 38 aussietoonfan // May 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

O.K. enough of this malarkey….
    It’s past my bedtime here and I’m up early tomorrow.
    Catch you all here again.

HOWAY THE LADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 39 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Beattie…Definitely agree about Niafron and of course Ed.

Thanks for the mention, although I don’t think OV was my push, it was for sure a group effort.

Also, pretty sure I’ve seen JFA and LewSpi recently, although not as much as before. As for Ruddy, I still cry myself to sleep at his absence :(

You’re absolutely right about this season. Certainly a memorable one. For me, the 3 most stand out seasons are:

95 – 96 – What a team and so close to winning the league.
    09-10 – Championship season – All thought it was the beginning of the end, but Hoots did a great job and started re-building the pride of this great club in spectacular fashion.
    11-12 – Don’t need to say anything. It’s been the return of the toon army and long may it last

• 40 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Beattie…if we’re doing an award vote…may I add you to a new category?

Biggest turn around in a blogger award!

“Who is this beatle you speak of?” That week really had me in stitches

• 41 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Im gonna need a sedative for sunday..

• 42 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Minato…you’re not alone buddy.

• 43 Tsunki // May 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Beattie – I am a bit gutted I didn’t get a mention for ‘ most number of irrelevant posts’ I rally thought I was in there this year. Maybe next time :(

Honestly I still laugh like a bairn when I recall the ‘I didn’t think this through’ line following the mystical alter-ego saga. Such a funny season on this blog, from the sublime to ridiculous you have all made my year – great banter.

• 44 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

How are you planning on taking in the game Codarm?

• 45 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Tsunki….lol, you’re going to have to raise the bar mate. You could be the perch of this blog :)

• 46 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Probably strapped up to a life support machine mate.

Am I right in thinking it will only be internet streams on Sunday and no live TV? If so, I will be sat by the most trust worthy of internet sources jumping and shouting and basically making myself look a fool.

How about you?

• 47 Alan_Pard_Who // May 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Tsunki

That was the one I had missed!!

I wrote them down and had you as the ‘pardon?’ award winner!

Ha ha it’s been a good laugh though!

• 48 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Best use of statistics award – Check the tiostie?

Most Pro Ashley award – Bills-son?

See what you’ve done Beattie? A new list! Although, this is preferable :)

• 49 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yeh looks like its gonna be streams..I was considering a plan to set up three large screens and try and keep an eye on all the games but i figured id probably have a seizure with all the tension!

Definitely feels like an occasion to push the boat out..

• 50 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Minato…I was thinking about that too and came to the same conclusion, watching out game will be enough tension to take. All we can ask is they put in another good performance and see where we stand after the final whistle of this great campaign.

• 51 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I completely agree…all we can do is go for the win. As i’ve said a million times before we are probably at an advantage just because we feel that even being in this position is an achievement in itself. Which is true. I might even ignore the rest of the results completely until full time.

• 52 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Minato…you can try, but you know you’ll have to check (especially if we’re winning).

• 53 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Haha normally I would…It will be very hard not to I must confess. Just to speculate I think the timing in each game will play a bigger factor than it could do at any other stage of the season. For example is it better that we score early? Will the others know they have to win and push that much harder or bottle it?

Ha sorry even thinking about the possibilities…

• 54 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Minato…First goal is so important. I don’t think we’ve come back from a goal down to win a game this season – which is something Pardew needs to address.

As you say, we go 1-0 up, they then need to attack and that gives us more room to counter attack.

• 55 Toon Down Under // May 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I dont post a lot, but i read the blog daily. I gave the current heads of NUFC full marks for what

• 56 Toon Down Under // May 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I dont post a lot, but i read the blog daily. I give the current heads of NUFC full marks for what they have achived over the past three seasons since relegation. The clubs seems to be on better finacial footing, players signed for value, and we are stable right now.

But, lets not get ahead of ourselves, we have over-achieved this season and i would expect some players sold in the summer and we might slip back to six or seventh. Such is life, but with UEFAs new rules coming into effect, we are in a good position right now, and lets not paint too much grandue in minds my fellow toon army.
    Sick of all the flops over the years: Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Smith, Xisco, etc… I like the policy of buy potential before overated players. But lets develop, Vukic, Abedi, Ferguson, Gosling, and Sammy A, coz our team might not need as many reinforcements as all people think.

• 57 Minato // May 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

@54

Yeh and its a particularly strange one given that we seem to have had that ability to not give up in games since we learned our lessons from gritty championship football. Obviously early goals have given us the confidence to build on something and that will be vital on sunday..not just for our own game but i feel for also putting pressure on the others.

I also agree with you TDS. As exciting as this season is its the model that the club had adopted and the harmony within the squad that has arguably been our biggest success. Teams will look at us and wonder how we have turned it around and we have done so by addressing what needs to.

Bin the ego’s, don’t get held to ransom over wages or transfer fee’s, bring in cheaper hungrier players..and attack and defend every single game like a unit. Sounds so simple but we have maximized ourselves by not underestimating these factors. For me that is just as exciting as the position we find ourselves heading into on the last day of the season.

• 58 Nicholas // May 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I am a life long Newcastle fan and I have seen Phillepe Albert put the icing on the cake against Manchester United and i have seen that Damien “I will help Newcastle back up to the premiership” Duff score that tragic own goal to send us down into the championship. When Mike Ashley took over, i was more excited than anyone!! A fresh squad, a new manager and a new board… light seemed to be breaking through the misty cloud over tyneside. Him and his ‘cockney army’ have cause mayhem beyond belief on our faithful and i can admit i followed the sheep in order banish the board from over crossing the tyne bridge again.

HOWEVER.. Newcastle fans need to learn that what Mike Ashley is doing is genius. he has cleared us of most of our debt! he has appointed a manager that has taken his great record from previous clubs and enforced his mentality on our (bar a few) average squad compared to other teams. Although CH was fantastic for us, few can argue that our position this year would be the same if he was still in charge.

he is extremely well off and as a chair man that cant be too bad.

He has invested in the roots of the club which are crucial. he hasn’t just gone in and bought big name players cause that what fans want to see. he has predominantly looked after his finances which in tern looks out for OUR club..if he loses money, we lose money..its as simple as that.

The naming rights was upsetting but its for the long term future of the club. with eurpean football next season, i will guarantee our stadium name will change and with that, we will take a huge a profit from that. my money is on the ‘Virgin Stadium’.

i loathed Mike after his first season at the helm and it has taken me a while, along with others to get used to his management style. But he has won me along with a large percentage over…how can people not see the brilliance in this man.. we are once again a European side, with the potential to become a top four challenger every year… this is down to mike ashley!

we are the toon army, we deserve to be challenging with the best.. i believe that with Mike in charge, i will witness a Newcastle forward score another hat-trick against the mighty Barcelona…

• 59 cupiddstunt // May 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Toonincheek @ # 37

After aussietoonfan’s pisstake I would not have thought that there would have been many neggers to post but in you come like a fart in a space suit trying to “remind” everyone that the good we have had this season is down to AP and GC etc etc and none of it is MA’s doing.

Please tell me which players have been as you put it develop and (often) sell on

Yes the loans still exist but we are not paying interest on them so saving 6 to 7 million a season, also MA has said he will not be calling them in until the club is sold so they for all intents and purposes “do not exist”

Just shows the mentality of some neggers they get the piss taken out of them before they post and yet they still go on to post negative s**t.

• 60 jonny_rubber // May 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Sorry to say but i think someone has confused their $ and £

There is no way our wage bill is only £34m if you only counted the first team squad of 25 thats means on average the players are on £25k a week…of course this isnt counting manager, coaches and everyone else.

add to that we know we have a few players on well in excess of £50k a week and it soon becomes obvious £34m is too low.

Now if the figure quoted in $ is in fact £’s then that would be more realistic and closer to what we would expect.

£34m has got to be wrong

• 61 jonny_rubber // May 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

note according to that citeh only pay £114,332,476 a year in wages …..now we know they have more than one player on £200k a week (£10m a year) and the vast majority of their first team will be on £50k (£2.5m a year) so £114m appears very low for them as well

• 62 ShanghaiMag // May 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The crazy thing about those stats is that we are 13th position in the Prem (127 overall) and the clubs nearest us are Blackburn (137th) and Bolton (121st).

Those clubs are massively overpaying for their players.

A comparison of wage bill rankings to end of season rankings would be very interesting. See which clubs have over-performeed and which underperformed.

previous post: Close Run Thing Between Ben Arfa And Papiss Cisse Goals