Tim Krul – Newcastle Going Higher And Higher

There have been many success stories in the Newcastle side this season.

Tim Krul – great season for Tim Krul

And one of them is Dutch International goalkeeper Tim Krul,  in this his first season as the new Newcastle number one goalkeeper.

And he has kept 15 clean sheets so far this season in the league, and will just  miss out on the Golden Glove in the Premier League  to England goalkeeper Joe Hart,  who kept his 17th clean sheet at St. James’ Park in Manchester City’s 2-0 win last Sunday.

In last summer’s pre-season, Krul beat out the incumbent Steve Harper,  and Hexham-born Fraser Forster, who is completing a second successive season at Glasgow Celtic.

Krul has recently signed a new contract which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2017, and the goalkeeper, who turned 24 last month, had this to say today to the local press:

“I came back from pre-season last year after making my debut for Holland.” “I just wanted to be number 1.” “It was a hard-fought battle with Steve Harper and Fraser Forster.”

“I’m pleased the manager gave me the confidence because it really gave me a boost.” “It gave me the extra boost to show I’m capable.”

“We’ve exceeded everybody’s expectations.” “To be playing for one of the top four spots with one game to go is something special.”

“I think even the players’ expectations have also been exceeded.” “It has been a hell of an experience. Sometimes I pinch myself and keep thinking ‘this is my first full season, how do I top this’.”

“It’s been great and we’ve always talked about team spirit. I’ve always said that Newcastle should have a reputation as a top, top team.” “And we’re here now.”

“I’ve extended my contract and now I want to be playing for a club that fights for places in the top four.” “And that’s what has happened. I’m over the moon.”

“The club have shown the right aspirations here. They got Fabricio Coloccini to sign a new deal and myself.” “That’s the way I want the club to go.”

“We’ve also got people like Cisse here too and they are the type of players the fans want here too.” “To be where we are now shows that we’re going places.”

“We had a great season to go 11 games unbeaten.”  “We’ve gone from strength to strength. Now we are just looking to go higher and higher.”

Everything is looking very good at the moment for Newcastle, although it looks we will be losing some first team players in the summer.

Danny Guthrie and Danny Simpson are both likely to leave, and Pardew is also worried about a top player who could leave.

We think that’s Demba Ba, and we can only believe that another club or clubs have already made an approach to Newcastle for the player.

What do you think?

• pardew no 1

May 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

good words from a great keeper and guy

• level7wonder

May 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

£3450 from £1 if the following scores come up:

9/1 – Newcastle 2 – 1
    Everton v Newcastle

22/1 – Draw 2 – 2
    Tottenham v Fulham

14/1 – West Brom 2 – 1
    West Brom v Arsenal

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

level7wonder – Where is that because a can only find £2430 for a £1 on Skybet and they normally around the best cos they dont pay fees

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

@2:
    If that bet comes out you will be buying a round in the bar? Of course you will!

Here,s hoping! Krul is a top keeper, always was!

• mecannylad

May 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Mecannylass says she`s got a feeling in her water ???!!!

• OTP

May 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Tim Krul has been great this season. One thing I can fault him on is that he has a tendency to try long balls too often, luckily with Ba and Cisse they are winnable, but would much rather the ball was just given to Colo or Santon! I’ve done a little tactical preview of the Everton game at http://one-touch-passing.blogspot.co.uk/ if anyone is interested!

• bambams

May 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I see Fraser Forster’s agent cannot be contacted by Celtic (Sun Newspaper), they have been trying for over two weeks ! Seemingly there is a clause in his contract he can go for 2 million……Wonder if big Fraz is wondering about CL/Europe and coming back to challenge Krul ?

• Magpies-till-d3ath

May 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Our defence will only get better next year. If we get either of debuchy, pieters or Douglas. I’d love debouching, douglas colo and santon as a back four, although I wouldn’t be surprised if santon gets a more advanced role next year.

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

OTP – Kruls faults are his kicking its pretty shocking if you ask me

• pbNcl

May 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Forster should be in CL with celtic anyhow. Obv, they will get botted and dropped out almost immediately. As scottish football is dire, not a critisism just the truth

• Pardew's fist pump

May 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Bambams – can’t see Fraser having a 2m release clause, considering we rejected an offer of that amount last summer and said we’re holding out for more.

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

More than likely our first choice defence next season will be:

———————Krul
    Debuchy–Douglas–Coloccini–Santon

I’ll be more than happy with that

• level7wonder

May 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

GT89 ladbrokes mate

• OTP

May 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yea he really needs to work on it. With Distin and Fellaini I think they’ll win everything in the air if he keeps going long tomorrow. Even Gibson is a good couple of inches taller and braver than Cabaye in heading :/ . Keep it down Krul!

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

level7wonder – Cheers mate 🙂

• Pardew's fist pump

May 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

If we sign Douglas, I don’t think he’s an automatic starter, I’d expect Saylor to reacquaint with Colo at CB to be honest, but the competition will be fierce. If we make the promise land of CL and sign a Vertonghen/Mbiwa calibre player, then I’d expect them to start ahead of our English pair.

• LewSpi

May 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I went for slightly different scores, same results though. 😉

Draw 1 – 1 @ 17/2
    Newcastle United 2 – 1 @ 19/2
    West Brom 3 – 2 @ 33/1
    Multiple Type: Treble
    Stake: 1.00
    Possible Return: 3391.50

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Pardews fist pump — Pardew said yday that Williamson is ahead of Taylor and if the new CB doesnt start ahead of Williamson then were in trouble ha

• davetoon

May 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

surely Saylor will assert himself as starting CB next season. He was a big part of that unbeaten run and he also scores a few headers from set pieces

• Pardew's fist pump

May 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I heard what AP said, I hardly believe Willo would start over Saylor should they both be fit at the start of next season. It’s just smart man management and a motivation tool, keeping the guy who you’re relying on currently in good morale. Much the same as Willo played the majority of last season and did ok, but Saylor was always going to be picked ahead of him for the start of this campaign.

• GeordieToon89

May 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Pardews fist pump – Thats what i’d hope as Taylor is 10x the player Willo is

• Shane

May 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Peter the monkey makem Reid on Football Focus just called St James’ Park the Sports Direct Stadium!! Rah!

• davetoon

May 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

gotta admit it was weird seeing Simpson at the NUFC shop getting chummy with the fans, signing autographs and taking photos when he wont sign a new contract and knows he’s leaving

• Magickit

May 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

how abt a direct SWAP of Debuchy and Simpson ???

deal ?

• keeleytoon

May 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Any one else see pardew pretty much say we’re trying to get debuchy, not sure if it’s on site but I’ve just read on pardew saying they are trying to get one of cabayes close friends in too keep him at the club

• aussietommo

May 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I’m not too worried about top players leaving now because it seems we can easily replace them and just keep our momentum going forward.

• jesperfuglsang

May 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I have said it before I am not worried about Demba; if he wants to leave there is nothing to do about it, but he’ll not go any further than NUFC.

I have seen many players leaving NUFC for money, but they have for most parts peeked at our Club and it has been down hill for here.

So if money is more important for he and I wish him the best of luck.

• Minato

May 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

@25

Possible that this deal is already tied up. If we can figure this out I’m sure that any other suitors will too. Otherwise its surely just bad business. Cabaye has previously spoke of the player wanting to join and he is not exactly outside our price range.

The only thing that really baffles me about this deal is the Simpson and Santon situation. I would assume that Santon would be a direct replacement on that side as a right footed player should Simmo leave (based on pardews recent comments). Certainly raises alot of questions that would take a while to go into..

Best thing is that the lad is apparently versatile, starting his career as a DM before being used on the right. Seems a sure thing to me and hopefully will prove to be as versatile as a few others.

• Minato

May 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@27

Couldnt agree more. The one thing ive learned over the last few seasons is that the club comes first. I think in any situation if a player feels he wants a better deal elsewhere then let him leave.

At the end of the day we know that Ashley will not have his pants pulled down over the price over any of our top talent (possibly excluding demba). Living within our means will secure our short term and long term futures. Drawing back to the Demba situation despite the release clause the same applies to him.

• pbNcl

May 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Santon is and will continue to be a marauding left back. If simmo goes (very likely, and I’m sick of it dragging on) then we will get a right back. Cabaye’s pal.

• davetoon

May 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

@28 its much harder to find a good LB, with the improvement that Santon’s made in that position – i think it would be wrong to start playing him as fulltime RB now

• wingspan

May 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Alan Smith playing upfront for MK Dons. Not looking all that to be honest.

• pbNcl

May 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Bit dry the day like…..where’s all the characters. Oh wait, must remember other people have actual lives. Damn

• Minato

May 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I think thats the most likely situation, especially given that things have cooled slightly on Pieters. I’d say given his injury record its probably for the best anyway.

On another note, maybe reading to much into things but seems to be a smart tactic by the club to try and bring in players that are linked with certain key players at our club. Ba and Cisse (Senegal), Cabaye and Debuchy (Lille), Krul and Pieters (Holland) and Tiote and Douglas (Twente). Seems a smart way to keep everyone happy in my view.

• pbNcl

May 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Reading between the lines ba and cisse is off and alan smith is coming back to play up fromt : D

• Klatoon

May 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

If we are after Debuchy we should move fast before the Euro’s because he’s most likely their starting RB now with Sagna out. A good tournament and his price and suitors increase.

• supatoonkid

May 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Thought the Pards & JC interview was class, two top lads that we have doing a great job for our mighty club. Indeed i have watched the freekicks these season and really haven’t been impressed but i don’t just feel a Mbiwa/Douglas type monstrous CB is need for the set plays but i think we may need another midfielder who has the ability to take set pieces because at the moment we have Cabaye, Ben Arfa & R. Taylor also Ba can take them as well but really many of these setplays have been dissapointing as a number of them do not even beat the first man. I think we need a Marvin Martin, Rasmus Elm or Gylfi Sigudsson type player to give us a bit more differentiation and hopefully a big CB like Mbiwa can be brought into give us that authority in the box.

• LewSpi

May 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Doesn’t miss Jordan Rhodes like.

• Pardew's fist pump

May 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Mbiwa is actually small for a CB, about the same size as Colo.

• Spuggy

May 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Debuchy had 5 goals and 1 assist so far this seaoson. Great stuff for a RB, although he can play on the wing so not sure how much time he’s spent there this season.