Newcastle Under Pressure This Summer – Upward And Onward

After this season, whatever position we finally end up in the league table  this afternoon, Newcastle fans will want to see the club build a bigger and better squad in the summer for next season.

Alan Pardew – pointing the way forward at Newcastle

Yes, Newcastle have come on a ton this season, but we are where we are now, and it’s much higher up in the league table than anybody expected to be.

But that’s also the bench-mark now, and we assume Alan Pardew and the Newcastle Board after the season finally ends, will review everything, and then decide on who leaves and who stays at Newcastle, and which players will be coming in to improve the squad.

It seems like Alan hasn’t thought too much about that yet, as he had this to say today in The Sunday Sun:

“That is a challenge, but it’s not something I have thought of yet. We still have one game to go. I haven’t reviewed the season yet, but I accept that (fans expectations) is going to happen.

“Even if we don’t finish third, I think it would be my greatest achievement. In the season at West Ham when we finished seventh and got to the FA Cup final was pretty special, but this tops that.

“And I don’t think our real fans think that fifth would be a disappointment. They genuinely know that it’s a massive bonus if we can get to the Champions League.

“To finish above Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, all of these teams, and Sunderland who spent a lot of money in the summer, this is a fantastic achievement for the club.

“Can we step up? I won’t know if we can step up. All I want is to compete in this group. The European campaign is going to lean on us heavily next season, no matter what tournament we end up in.”

5th place is hardly a disappointment, because it gets us back into the Europa League, which we were last in a long six years ago, during the 2006-2007 season under Glenn Roeder.

But the goal has to be Champions League for the future, and of course that seems to get harder and harder every season.

Nobody expected Newcastle to get back into European competition last August, but now we are there, we have to take it the next step and consolidate and build in the summer.

Newcastle will be under pressure to improve the squad again this summer, but what’s different?

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I Just Hope we do our end of thr bargain, and atleast force Arsenal and Spurs to get a resul

• pbNcl

May 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Indian, I’m trusting you heard pardew’s interview online….

How do you feel about the mighty shola now, that you’ve heard pardew’s admiration of him?

Toon shirt with ameobi on? Hahaha

Let’s enjoy today lads !!!!!

• LewSpi

May 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM

You have to feel sorry for Rangers and wonder whether they’d have preferred Liquidation to having that stupid, fat **** in charge.

Saying that, given that Charles Green is leading the consortium it means that Rangers previous and current owners are Green and Whyte. Where’s Alanis Morissette when you need her?

• bambams

May 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I have said it so many times and i am pretty sure most agree….We have europe ! CL would be great but I would have chewed the Premier Leagues arm off had they offered this at the beginning of the season.

I will still enjoy today no matter what happens.

• durhammag

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Your quote Ed says it all. Nobody expected us to get into Europe last August. I just hope that we remember that there is a plan, and we are running ahead of it at the moment, and that if we dont get CL next year, we dont start getting on the backs of Pards, Ashley or the players. For me, the 12th man that is the fans has really come to the fore this season, and the players seem to have responded to that. There is huge positivity at the club right now, and we need to make sure that if there is any minor detour, we still show the same faith that we have this season

• dmac

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I will be more than happy with 5th. The way this season has gone has been incredible and non could have predicted it. Sure id like to finish higher but that just reflects the faith i have in the ability this team possess.

• Pardew's fist pump

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

All out for the early goal, let that news filter through to our rivals and watch them lose their nerve and unravel.

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I did , hear it, may be pardew was DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• roadfighter

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

All the best to the guys today, tough game at Everton but we are more than capable of getting a result. no matter what happens, great season for The Toon !!!

Proud NUFC fan in South Africa 🙂

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM

from here when we are already 5th, why shd ibe happy be 5th when we can get 3rd or 4th

• OTP

May 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Two or three players won’t be enough but I suppose thats just Pardew saying it and not meaning it. The more I think about it the more I don’t think we need a new left back. Santon has proved himself and Raylor and Gutierrez are decent back up, but if Ferguson can improve defensively and bulk up over the summer then we should be ok.

http://one-touch-passing.blogspot.co.uk/ for a tactical preview of the Everton game.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

May 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hey Ed is that Upward and Onward from my post 🙂

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

i hope hamilton wins the spanish GP

• yorkshireToon

May 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM

My mate who’s an everton fan got me and my dad tickets today in the everton end, right next to the Newcastle fans!!! I was in the same place last year when beny scored that screamer.. Let’s just say I had a few dodgy looks!

Wouldn’t mind the same again just hope I can contain myself!

• LewSpi

May 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I apologise for this, but they say history repeats itself:

In 2010:
    Chelsea won FA Cup,
    Atletico won Europa League,
    Man Utd finished 2nd,
    Arsenal 3rd,
    Spurs 4th,
    Blackpool won playoffs
    & Bayern lost CL final.

Let’s not let history repeat itself today and smash these scousers!

HWTL!

• pbNcl

May 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Them some freaky stats Lewspi

• the_besty_show

May 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

i think we only need a centre half then replace any outgoing players. Get a few young players to develop as well and ill be happy.

• TemuriKetsbaia

May 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Apparently Spurs will have to play Gallas at left back today. Time for Damien Duff to make up for his role in our relegation.

All would be forgiven.

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

NUFC in Burgundy

• gazza85

May 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Question…. should I stream the match today or watch BBCs Final Score online to keep up with all scores?

• sirtoongospel

May 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

No Indian, it’s not burgundy…………..IT’S PASSPORT RED!!!

Europe awaits, and whatever happens today, we are so proud of everyone at the club.

Despite it sticking in peoples throats, the owner deserves great credit. I just hope he realises that 1 decent transfer window, with reasonable investment and ward off interest in our top players, and he could have something very very special here.

• pieceofpapiss

May 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Right lads im at work today, til 6. This makes me sad!!

However, i am sat in front of a 30foot (yes, 30 feet) TV with sky sports.

Can you all do me a favour and try not to phone a very prominent BRITISH TELECOMMUNICATIONS company until after we’ve qualified for the CL.

Thanks!!

• Deanes212

May 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, judgement day is upon us! All the best to the lads for today!

• magpie6699

May 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Being realistic about our chances I rate the odds as follows:
    Toon beat Everton: 2/1 against
    Arsenal lose to West Brom ( a draw is no good to us) 6/1 against
    Spurs don’t beat Fulham 5/1 against
    Therefore:
    Chances of making 3rd = 60/ 1 against!
    Chances of 4th about 10/1.
    That’s my personal view of the odds – don’t know what bookies think.

• check the toastie

May 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

bookies (betfair) are offering 5/1 for the toon to finish top 4, if we score an early goal that price will come crashing down.

• magpie6699

May 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

check – and I’ll bet if Everton score first it’ll shoiot up! Don’t think we’ve come from behind to win yet this season!

• hatem786

May 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

we will finish 3rd i am 100% sure….everton 1 newcastle 2

• ToonDownSouth

May 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

magpie6699

Only in the cups, against Blackburn and Scunthorpe. Pretty bad record!

We’ve only come from behind to draw 4 times! (Scum, Manchester United, Spurs and Villa)

Though saying that, we’ve only surrendered a lead against Arsenal, Fulham and Wolves! That’s also a very impressive stat.

(I may have missed a few out there. Just pff the top of my head.)

• ToonDownSouth

May 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM

magpie6699

Only in the cups, against Blackburn and Scun.thorpe. Pretty bad record!

(I may have missed a few out there. Just off the top of my head.)

• geordie157

May 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Looking forward to todays game, think we can come away with a 1-0 win.

Just been looking at the pics of the lads training for the game, which made me think of a point. Of all our Pardew signings only Obertan hasn’t impressed, so with Steve Stone at the club can he not teach him how and when to cross the ball. I’ll be brave and predict he’ll come good next season along with Gosling.

• TemuriKetsbaia

May 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

If you look at the form Arsenal and Spurs are both struggling. On top of that WBA and Fulham are both in good from. On the down side Everton are on fire. For me if we win we get top 4. But it’ll be tough…

It’s our cup final – essentially it’s bigger than an FA cup final. Thats how we have to treat it.

Can’t wait…

• roblee7

May 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Alrite lads,

firstly, a fantastic season no matter what happens today….it been an absolute joy this season and how often have we been able to say that recently?

Anyway, here’s a link to my football shirts for sale on Ebay, I’ve posted it a couple of times in the past but I have a fair few Toon shirts at the moment!

HTL!!!

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

why is this blog lookn wierd? is it changed?

• supatoonkid

May 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

We need to concentrate on today as if we get Europe or Champions League it will define our summer spending and the players we can bring in so i won’t start naming players we should bring in for the squad but simpley say wherever we finish we need: CB, young CB, RB if Simmo goes, 2nd choice LB, CDM, CAM, Wing-Forward & 1-2 CF 9depending if we keep Best or not).

• JAMSHA

May 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

wtf i cnt c da comments tooooooo helpppppppo

• niafron

May 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

Last game of the season.

Congratulation to all, it was a great pleasure to be here with you the whole season. A wonderfull season. Let’s hope we will have a nice game today.
    Also, i’m a bit late, but congratulation to Alan Parderw for his award.

• Tsunki

May 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You heard the manager – “I don’t think our
    real fans think that fifth would be a disappointment.”.

Just take the day as it comes, even if we lose today = success, anything else will be the marshmallow in my hot choccy. Chips n dips – check. Beer – check. Toon shirt on – check. Tiote – ……….

😉

• Indian Magpie

May 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Niafron,

did you hear pardews phone in, let me b the first to ask, who do you think the French player that NUFC be after, Cabaye’s PAL.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

May 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Niafron

I remember it was you who posted bout us dreaming we could finish fourth this season about the time our unbeaten run ended and everyone thought the bubble would burst – but you were right we all should have had hope and confidence in the team and manager as they have done us proud whatever the result today

• Indian Magpie