Newcastle Signings May Be Delayed This Summer

With the European Championships starting in early June, a number of clubs may want to delay releasing their players until after the tournament.

Foot injury keeps Erik Pieters out of the Dutch squad this summer

One reason for that is they’ll be hoping their players play well for their countries, which will help to drive up the transfer fee.

And on the other hand that’s why Newcastle will try to tie up players early in the summer, especially those that will not be in involved in European competition like 22 year-old Romain Amalfitano of French second division club  Stade Reims, who will likely be announced as Newcastle’s first signing, on a three year deal.

Roman is a free transfer and it seems very low risk, and he could well be a late developer like his brother Morgan Amalfitano at Marseilles, who was recently capped for the first time for France.

Roman has not said a word since he made this comment in late February:

“I am a Reims player and I will be out of contract at the end of the season,”  ”I want to finish this season strongly.”

“Newcastle are a fantastic club and to play for them would be a dream come true, but nothing is done as yet. Let’s wait and see what happens.”

Alan Pardew is talking about bringing in three top players this summer – at least – and some of them seem to be playing in the European Championships to be held in Poland and the Ukraine.

One of them could Mathieu Debuchy of Lille and France, but Erik Pieters of PSV and Holland withdrew from the squad on May 7th, after tests showed he would not recover in time from his foot injury.

Alan Pardew talked about Newcastle’s targets and the upcoming European Championships:

“We’re already thinking about two or three players, but I think you’ll find that a lot of the clubs who might want to do early business will have to wait until the European Championships are over.”

“It’s going to be a bit like a roulette wheel, and I’m hoping that the players we’re looking at all have awful tournaments. But there’s a good chance they’re going to have excellent tournaments, and all of a sudden, their price might look a bit different.”

“I think all of us will be looking at that closely.”  “I don’t know about moving to the next level, but we’re certainly going to have a more difficult season next year,”

“We’ve got the African Cup of Nations again, we’ve got the Olympics during pre-season and we’ve also got the demands of the Europa League. That will affect all of our players.”

“We’ve had to wait for Sunday’s result because the Champions League obviously would have changed things, but now we’ll sit down next week and try to work out a game plan where we cover all the issues that are going to arise. It’s not going to be easy.”

We expect Newcastle to announce their summer tour plans this week, now that the club knows what their commitments to Europe will be next season.

And the tour looks like it entails at least a couple of matches in Europe.

Comments welcome.

• Toon_Tom

May 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Move swiftly, give Ba a new summer contract, removing the release clause, double his wages (for a few weeks) then sell for £22.5M to liverpool

Sorted!

• Ollieh51

May 15, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Positive signs that we are looking at players of international quality from that if you ask me!

Regardless of what else happens, think we have a new striker and CB on the way with the ACN this year and also with Best and lovenkrands leaving.

• ToonDownSouth

May 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Beattie

You’re a bastion of positivity lately. What’s happened?

• Londtoon

May 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I would like to see a Saylor like CB, a rapid FB, an additional FB, a left winger (Marveaux hopefully), a non african striker (prolific and pacey please)

And a pardew in a peartree

• danuneek

May 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Basically we need a much bigger squad.

Another LB, CB, RB, DM, AM, WINGER and STRIKER as a minimum.

• Londtoon

May 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM

On the fifth day of Summer my Ashley gave to me:

A Saylor like CB, a rapid FB, an additional FB, a left winger (Marveaux hopefully), a non african striker (prolific and pacey)

And a pardew in a peartree

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

i still see saylor being our no 2 defender , he will be england captain, once he sorts his injuries out

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

TDS

I realised that it was affecting my personal life as much as my footballing life. I was an emotional wreck so I decided to be positive.

I am teetering on the edge and one price of bad news could send me spiralling down the plug hole!

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I think the title of this post is the opposite of wha will happen.

O believe we will do our business early, sit back and enjoy our new starts perform tremendously at the Euros!!!

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

haha beattie,
    price?
    piece
    prince

• ToonDownSouth

May 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Beattie

I’d probably stay away from Newcastle United then mate (;

catchy

If Saylor had stayed fit, he would surely have recieved a call up by now. And while you never know, because Willo does have some good attributes, we may well have got a few extra points this season.

• ToonDownSouth

May 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

This summer I’d be happy with a CB, a FB, and a replacement for anyone of note who leaves.

We don’t actually have a tiny squad, as is often suggested. We just have a fair few players in it who aren’t good enough to play.

If we can bring on Fergy, Sammy, Vuckic and Abeid, then it’s only defence in which we’re short.

Our attacking options are currently Ba, Cisse, Hatem, Marveaux, Best and Shola. I assume Best and Ba will likely leave, in which case we need to upgrade on them

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

TDS

yes you never know, but i like his do or die attitude, tony adams terry butcher like

im yet to see what williamson brings to the table,

he panics to much,
    he can win things in our box but stick him at the other end he never attacks the ball , when he wins it he must have his eyes closed cos he never hit the target
    his first thought is hoof it anyware ,
    look at colo, composed, santon is young he is also composed, simpson and willamson are playing for a club much to high for them

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

tds, i agree with those 4 kids being brought on much more, fergy should have been playing instead of jonas, for a while now,
    marv will get that spot,

• ToonDownSouth

May 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I actually think if we’d been playing a 4-3-3 from earlier in the season, with Jonas playing CM, we’d have seen a lot more from him this year.

His linkup with Ben Arfa has been very nice at times, but he’s looked absolutely shattered from basically playing LB for the first 20 games.

I’m honestly a fan of Jonas though. In big game, he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. But against the worse teams who come to defend, he’s not the kind of player to unlock a defence.

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM

tds

he has been my fave player at the toon for the last few years now,
    but other than defending , he offers very little to the team, playing him in 433 is an option for me as cabaye is tthe more creative and can tackle, tiote is a tackler but can pass, jonas just runs, he carnt tackle, and at times when he has been running at defence he goes down to easy winning a free kick, but letting the other team regroup,

his crossing is nearly as bad as obertans

• supatoonkid

May 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Get some of that money from the Premier League and buy a RB, CB, 2nd choice LB, CDM, CAM, 2 Forwards (a Hoilett/Zaha type player and a straight up back up CF). Give Ba a new improved deal, sell Simmo, Guthrie, Best etc. BANG GO FOR CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON!

• Nedders

May 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Anyone slating Jonas is a fool – do you know no-one won more free kicks in the entire Premier League this year? If we had the “8 goal CB” Pards is talking about, we could have been 3rd through converting one or two more. Willi’son needs to be out, though with Saylor returning it’ll be interesting to see the quality we bring in. Certainly with or without Simpson, the RB needs strengthening. Marveaux’s return gives us now 3 LW options, let’s not forget. Flexibility on the right side of central midfield needs to be looked at – both Guthrie and Gosling haven’t really got it and we could do with more goals from these positions. And we’ll need to replace either Tiote or Ba, or both. Ba I don’t think will be missed – I think there are probably better out there who can enjoy staying at LWF, rather than having to swap with Cisse every 15 minutes. Hoilett, for example, someone who can copy Ben Arfa but on the left side.

Tiote would be a huge loss, but we’ve got to trust to the management – they got it right on all bar Obertan so far.

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Nobody else think our work will already been done on the transfer front?

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Supatoonkid

My sentiments Exactley!!

Boom

• Tom4Nufc

May 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Beattie, we will have identified our targets but getting them over the line is a different story!

• supatoonkid

May 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

My Buys would be: RB: Mathieu Debuchy for £6.5M, CB: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa for £6.5M, LB: Ezekiel Fryers for Free, CDM: Leroy Fer for £4M, CAM: Marvin Martin for £8M, 2 Forwards: Wilfried Zaha for £6M (were not going to get Hoilett but still should try but with Champions League teams after him UNLIKELY) & Jay Rodriguez for £7M
    Total: £38M – need to spend something like this to take us to the next level (prices may be a bit off but £35M to £40M approx is what we need to Spend!) HTWL!

• pieceofpapiss

May 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I, personally, cant stand these ‘windows’. It has my nerves shot to hell!!! All the time im thinking “just sign someone!!!” and in the back of my head the worry of losing Tiote, Cisse, Ba and Cabaye is running riot.

We havent got the best record in the transfer windows up until the season just gone. I hope we dont just sell players for the money anything less that £35million for Krul, Tiote, Cabaye etc and i’ll not be happy.

• Tom4Nufc

May 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM

In my opinion, Tiote will go for anything over £25 million. I think it will be Ba or Tiote who will go out of the stars IF anyone leaves. 🙁

• Toon_Tom

May 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I know we obviously need to bolster our defense (goes without…..) however we need a CF to cover the African holiday next year as we cant really rely on the Mackem slayer and Benny can not play the lone striker !

• Nick 69

May 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

supatoonkid – Jay Rodriguez for £7million, really? considering Cisse only cost £8million, and Giroud has a £9.5million clause, you really think paying that for him would be the best option. Not in a million years for me, id rather Jordan Rhodes even

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Look guys focus on whose coming in not who may leave.

I’m not say deny your feelings but concentrate on the strengthening of the unit rather than panicing about individuals.

We will sign 5/6 players of ranging quality and lots of youngsters. We may sell but until I see a player holding the shirt of another team I will not be beside myself with worry.

Players cone and go and all they leave is memories. Nufc is forever and we will always remember these players. Let the world take
    You on it’s journey and enjoy the ride.

• Beattie25

May 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I’d rather spend £5 million on Jay Rodriguez than £4 million on Jordan Rhodes!

• Tom4Nufc

May 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Really?! I think Rhodes looks another class! I’d have him for £4 million any day!!!

• pieceofpapiss

May 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Im with Tom on this one, sorry Beattie.

Rhodes looks world class, Rodriguez has been patchy.

If anyone was to leave, i would prefer it to be Ba. The money we’d get for him would be pure profit, plus injuries are his biggest worry. I’d hate to see him go, but i’d hate to see Tiote, Krul etc leave more!

• Toon_Tom

May 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Agree with Papiss – Ba is the only one of our “stars” who (IMO) can be replaced with current squad members

• supatoonkid

May 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I wouldn’t want to sign Rodriguez for that price but that’s Burnley’s price tag they have placed on him, think they’d probably sell for £5M though

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM

you are only saying that about ba cos he hasnt scored in a while,, well i think he got us where we are then got moved out into an area were he has less chance of scoring,

i think if he had had the chances cisse has had he would have scored them to, maybe not the chelsea goals,

he is not a left winger, he is a striker, he is miles better than shola or best

• G

May 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM

That rumour that Tiote has all but handed in a transfer request, wanting to play CL next season is still doing the rounds. Doesn’t seem to have any factual foundation, but it’s alarming in the fact that it keeps re-surfacing.

• JP...from The Rock

May 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Arshavin anyone?? The last time a big tournament came around we lost Arshavin to Arsenal remember? Not that it bothers me now considering how hard it’s been for the Russian to settle in the EPL, but I am just saying we played the waiting game then and then we lost our target to a bigger club that could offer his risen value. We cannot allow that to happen again just wonder what a difference Arshavin would have made to our team back then and with the love we show our stars he would have settled ere much easier.

Newcastle and Ashley should have learned from that lesson and it’s essential to buy the players now before the tournament every time.

Then we have the bloody Afrcian Cup of Nations AGAIN! Now that’s just unfair.

Here’s to a fabulous season that’s past and to a bright black n white future!

HWTL

• JP...from The Rock

May 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Grant Holt has impressed me this season, how much would he cost?

• Dannyo

May 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM

If we lose Best and Loven, we’ll need atleast one new striker.
    It seems to me that Pardew wants to add 3 blue chip defenders.
    Two FBs and a scoring CB.
    Do we need a replacement for Guthrie? In a pure CM position we have Gosling, Cabaye, Tiote and Abeid. Possibly Vuckic to put in a shift there. Campbell will be on the fringes to the first team.

To me we should be looking at 5 first teamers then.
    2 FBs, 1 CB, 1 Striker, 1 CM. But i want 1 RW/Striker aswell. (Hoilett)

I’ll leave the speculation on what players up to u guys.

• Nick 69

May 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

JP – Ashley will try and get deals done BEFORE I could pretty much guarantee that. He knows market value, and competition for our targets can be drastically increased for players after the Euro’s, however its the selling clubs that could prove difficult as they will also know that and will tend to hold out until after to increase the transfer fee. I think we may have one or two deals done before hand, on our main targets and the rest will have to wait til after

• Dannyo

May 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Diame, we have to get Diame. If Tiote leaves, i reckon he would be a good replacement. Scores more goals too and is even bigger.
    He’s a poor mans YaYa to me.

• NickeAlvaro

May 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I just read from SkySports that Diame’s agent is Willie McKay… No chance in hell are we going to sign him then.