Andy Carroll Included In England Squad For Euro 2012

Andy Carroll has been included in the England squad of 23 named by Roy Hodgson today,  for the European Championships in Poland and the Ukraine in June.

Andy Carroll – in England squad

The former Newcastle United striker has shown his best form of the season over the last month or so for Liverpool, and probably deserves to be included in the squad.

Goalkeeper John Ruddy of Norwich gets his first England call-up, and Phil Jones of Manchester United is also included in the 23.

The former Newcastle winger James Milner is  included and another former Newcastle player,  Scott Parker is in the squad, but that assumes he recovers from his current Achilles injury.

Jerome Defoe of Tottenham also gets a call-up by the new England boss Roy Hodgson,  as does Arsenal 18 year-old youngster Oxlade-Chamberlain.

As revealed yesterday, Rio Ferdinand did not get a call-up, and that could signal the end of a long and distinguished England career.

Rio played 81 times for England with 3 goals, and made his debut fifteen years ago, when he came on as a substitute in a friendly against Cameroon on 15th November 1997.

John Terry was named in the squad and it seemed that both players would not be included with Terry facing his trial for racially abusing Rio’s brother Anton, once the European Championships are finished.

Full England squad:

Goalkeepers – Green (West Ham), Hart (Man City) Ruddy (Norwich).
Defenders – Baines (Everton), Cahill (Chelsea), Cole (Chelsea), Johnson (Liverpool), Jones (Man Utd), Lescott (Man City), Terry (Chelsea).
Midfielders – Barry (Man City), Downing (Liverpool), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Man City), Parker (Tottenham), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Walcott (Arsenal), Young (Man Utd).
Forwards – Carroll (Liverpool), Rooney (Man Utd), Welbeck (Man Utd), Defoe (Tottenham).
Standby list:
Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

May 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

There goes our chances…

Hodgson must be desperate…

• Jonny

May 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Walker? Injured? Has to be!

Downing? Who? If Dalglish gets sacked does that count as an assist for Downing?

Looks like the same old story to me after looking at that squad, sorry Woy.

• Adssy Mccc

May 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Won’t strike fear into the heart of anyone! But let’s get behind them all the same…

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

May 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Jonny….Would be the best assist Liverpool could ask for 🙂

Adssy…You’re right. It is what it is. If we get on their back it’s not going to help anyone. Time to get behind them I suppose

• Viper

May 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Tewwy no Fewdinand? Not sure on that one. Downing? Not sure either. no Peter Crouch? His call

• mondziu

May 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Johny, I believe it’s complicity more than an assist. Like your idea though.

• ArchieDog

May 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Got to be honest I’m pleased for him, local lad, hope he does well! we made our point when he came back, time to move on!

• Tom4Nufc

May 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Lads, lets trust in Hodgson the same way we do Pardiola… He got a rubbish Swiss side to 3rd in the world- have faith!

And CODARM, Terry & Cahill have to play together as they’ve been the best partnership in the league in the second half of the season pretty much! (I do hate JT though so it grates me to say it!)

• zaktoon_swede

May 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

haha downing? check out the introduction-video to cabayes new website if you havent seen it! it’s fantastic.

• Taking the Papiss

May 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I am pleased for Carroll.

I actually think that the squad is fairly good and there are only 2 areas I think we have made a mistake. That is Carrick should have been in there for Milner/Barry. The other one is that Adam Johnson has to be in the squad over Downing.

Time to get behind everyone. Carroll could cause problems for defence, hopefully with defence service from the likes of Ashley Young etc.

• tarie4

May 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

A bit of topic, but why do I see a considerable no. Of people saying Ba is leaving?? Did I miss something?? Guys Ba has to be a priority..we need him to stay.
    Who was the last Newcastle player to score more than 15 goals in a premier league season?? And how long ago was that?? Now we potentially have two and most of urs want rid of the other?
    so what he hasn’t scored for two months..i mean the guy played out of position for most games since Jan, that’s bound to be detrimental to his confidence.
    WE NEED BA!!

as for Rhodes dejong etc, they are out of our price range, was reading yday on this blog pple saying rhodes would cost about 4 mill?? Are kidding, ox chamber was 13 mill!!! Huddersfield is a relatively wealthy club and have no need to sell, he will cost about 10 mill, believe me, dejong is valued at 13 mill..
    We won’t find another player of BA’s ability for less than 10 mill..
    Imagine Ba ripping apart Europe on Thursday and Cisse screamers on Sunday..at to that shola and best (if he stays) playing as subs and in the league cup,

• Tom4Nufc

May 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I think included Downing and Johnson over A.Johnson and M.Richards is a error but nonetheless they do have quality, just lack a bit of form!

• tarie4

May 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

On topic, can’t believe Lennon didn’t make the cut??
    Downing has been awful…0 goals and 0 assists in the premier league this season!!!! Andy Carroll over grant holt??? Oh well, viva le blues then

• Tom4Nufc

May 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I think Carroll was the correct decision- apart from Rooney, he’s the only CF/ST we have who SCARES defenders- granted his form has been more or less non-existent but its a good call by Sir Woy!

• JTOONJ

May 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I think Carrol will do really well in Euro’s, not that i want him to, but He is a traditional centre forward and foreign players aren’t the best at dealing with his type.

• mondziu

May 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

@tarie4

People tend to alter their opinions depending on current form too much. It’s like when we lose a game and everyone fears relegation and when we win, it’s Champions League talk all day long.

Ba is still quality player, but it’s up to him to decide if he wants to stay, because of the clause in his contract. That makes his situation different to the Tiotes and Cabayes who all have long term contracts.

• 5Danny94

May 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Off-topic, but I’m reading the section on Cabaye’s website where he gets other players to comment on him. Debuchy has some interesting quotes…

“I am planning to come and see him play in England soon enough.”

“When he left Lille, I was happy and sad at the same time. I knew we wouldn’t be able to see each other every day but It was a good thing for him to join a good team abroad.”

“I am sure that within the next two years, he will join one of the best European club.”

Not sure what to make of these. He thinks we’re a good club, but obviously doesn’t see us becoming “one of the best” in the next few years.

• JTOONJ

May 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Oh and good news from demba. “What a great season we had. I’ll miss sjp and the atmosphere for few weeks. Cant wait to step back on the pitch and feel the noise again…” on his twitter but then again if a big cheque came his way, he could say goodbye to sjp

• barkel

May 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

eh no Perch!?

I suppose considering you lot have very low expectations for a tournement for once you might be surprised! Still gonna be a challenge for anyone to beat the Irish!

• Big Pappa Cisse

May 16, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Well lads after 6 years of nothing but tender love and care it finally happened this morning ………

My PS3 is broken 🙁

• alienhunter

May 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Cabayes website has some very subtle things on it..
    The connections section has a link to Antoine Siberski.. wonder if he put in a word to help the transfer through.

In the personality section, two other players write profiles of him – Hazard and Debauchy. Its not a media myth or simply a Lille link that makes him and the latter close. Debauchy mentions Newcastle as a great club.

A recurring theme throughout the site is that others are constantly mentioning that he will be playing for a very top European club in the next few years. I think this is how NUFC market and attract such players. We are a good stepping stone to the very top. Sign for us, get a big signing on bonus, play well and we will sell you to one of the major clubs after a couple of seasons….

• 5Danny94

May 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hazard’s statement worries me more than Debuchy’s…:

“Here is one specific memory with Yo. Before my first game as a professional player, I was sharing my bedroom with Lichtsteiner. Yo and Kevin Mirallas were sharing another one. So, I decided to visit them and I would come back later to my room. Eventually I stayed and spend the night between them. We made one bed out of the two we had.”

Err…

• alienhunter

May 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Just seen your post 5Danny94 – similar thoughts!

• Beattie25

May 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

The team should be picked on form over the season and this bunch of players is a joke including Carroll.

How can Roy justify picking Glenn Johnson over Micha Richards? Phil Jones over Jagelika? Downing over Lennon/Johnson? Carroll over Holt/Crouch/Sturridge?

We all know how good AC can be on his day bit he hasnt been on his day since December 2010!!!!

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Jordan henderson , is he better than guthrie

• Elb11

May 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Jerome Defoe…

• Tom4Nufc

May 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

No, but he is from Liverpool as is Johnson & Downing- two other dodgy picks!

• Indian Magpie

May 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM

defoe, he has barely played

• Tsunki

May 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I’m sorry but…what was everyone expecting Woy to do? This has to be the most dire crop of players since the dismal bunch I saw get trashed by every minnow side in the late 70’s. Phil Neal and some other blokes I think. I paid good money to see us get beat by below-average squads a number of times and it put me off the whole England thing.

Sorry but get behind them? Why? What will happen if we do? Bluuuughhhh.

• Paps

May 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Do you think Roy has purposly named a crap squad so that there is less pressure on us to go far?

• Beattie25

May 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You guys!!!

Cabs and Tiote both turned down CL football for us and don’t seem driven by money. For me the selling point is the 5 year plan. I think we’ll offer them the platform to play in one of the worlds greatest leagues in front of the greatest fans whilst telling them that in 2-3 years we will be challenging at the top. Like Napoli, Lille, FC Twente, Athletico Madrid, Dortmund etc…

If that plan fails then we have given them the exposure necessary to find an even bigger club towards the end of their careers.

Its all about the plan. If we don’t get CL next year then we may be in trouble but we are safe for now!!

Cabaye will play for a big European club! Will we be that club? Time will tell.

• Tsunki

May 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Having said that Woy, you could have picked any one except Barry, Downing and co. I thought you were your own man. No time to watch other players? Looks like he just picked up an old team sheet from the previous managers’ office bin.

• check the toastie

May 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Carroll has looked a handful lately, and if we want somebody to hold the ball up, whilst we try and get some possession then he is the man for me.

All in all the country currently lacks any world class players, we will defend in numbers and try and counter teams i imagine young and walcott will try and join in with big Andy, we have played sh1t football for years and it is likely to continue for a while. However Woy will make us hard to beat against teams who are far more technical and clever with the ball,

England will be sh1t to watch during the Euros, and if Lampard and Barry ay in the same team we are an absolute embarrassment and i actually hope france smash us to pieces. Sack Hodgson if he plays them to slugs together.

• Tsunki

May 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Beattie – having been an avid reader between the lines (!) I have perceived the players talking in terms of long term objectives – I think Mike has sold the new breed on a long term strategy that will only work if they all stay together as a nucleus of the team. I think that’s even the only reason they came here, not to go hawking their wares around the middle east (Gyan). or playing one club against another (Tevez). I would be surprised to see many leaving, and I expect this squad to be built up, not diminished. Players would be a bit crazy, extremely selfish & Greedy (Carroll) or at the least brave gamblers to leave now (Enrique).

• Tom4Nufc

May 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Tsunki, there’s no coincidence that all the squads look similar- these are all professional managers who have years of experience as opposed to years of supporting and not understanding the dynamics/character traits/stats of the team.

I think rather than us shooting down Woy before he’s even been given a chance, lets just see what happens and judge his on the teams performances!

That’s the only fair option, and correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we as devoted football fans of giving people a chance? It’s not like Pardew was our first choice!

• ToonDownSouth

May 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Gareth Barry is the first choice CM for the best team in England, and the richest team in the world.

Is it not a little ridiculous talking about how bad he is..? Seriously.

• Crow59Cdo

May 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

as much as i have faith in hodgson im still intrigued by the squad, only 3 centre backs?? if ones gets a knock then its depserate measures much like the toon earlier this season, the inclusion of richards would have solved this he can play pretty much anywhere along the back 4 and is a power house and also offers an aerial presence from set pieces both def/off, and as for defoe instead of sturridge it just goes to show that theres no forward thinking and letting the younger gen have a chance, sturridge on his day can pull a goal out of knowhere and also is accomplished on both wings, so the exclusion of 2 key young utilty players to me is a bad decision i just home im proved wrong, as for carol paahhh id rather stick perchino up top, PERCHINO for England !!

• Beattie25

May 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Exactley Tsunki.

The face of football is changing back again and there are many teams out there accross Europe that can classed as a force despite thier size in terms of spending and turnover.

If you buy right you can become a cat amongst pigeons and I see nufc doing exactly that. I believe the players signed since promotion are the type of players that are not in football for the money they are in it to compete, win and tfor the challenge.

What’s the point of earning 150k a week sat on the neck and collecting a winners medal? Is that really earning it?

We have winners, players with something to prove, guys who want to make a difference and take a well know club that was on the brink of destruction back to the forefront of English football.

I for one could not turn down an opportunity to do that if I was a footballer.

This is a revoloution against the modern game and we are handpicking the players based on loyalty and hunger.

They will not leave is yet.

• Beattie25

May 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

* neck? Bench!

• Londtoon

May 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Protest: Perchinho for England!