News That Newcastle Will Tour South Africa

News in the Sowetan today that negotiations for Newcastle United to tour South Africa and play in the Vodacom Challenge tournament.

Alan Pardew – taking his team to South Africa

The off-season tournament was initiated back in 1999, and is hosted by Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs, and an announcement is expected shortly.

The Orlando Pirates are a football team based in Parktown, Johannesburg, and the Kaizer Cheifs are also based in Johannesburg.

A source close to the negotiations has told the Sowetan:

“Negotiations are at an advanced stage between the organisers and management of Newcastle United. I think an announcement will be made in a few days’ time.”

“The organisers are also toying with the idea of getting Tottenham Hotspur back in the tournament because they are going back to its original format of four clubs, but the appearance fees asked by the English teams are massive.”

“There is also a possibility that we could also see Mamelodi Sundowns participating for the first time since the inception of this tournament. You have to remember that this tournament has nothing to do with Chiefs and Pirates being sponsored by Vodacom.”

“The cellular phone company are sponsors of the tournament, which is owned by SAIL. If Vodacom had decided not to renew its contract, SAIL would have looked for a new company to sponsor it.

“Vodacom re-committed itself to the tournament last week after the previous contract expired last year.”

It’s interesting that the fee asked by English clubs is massive, and Tottenham may also be involved, but there again the Premier League clubs play in the most popular sports league in the world, and Mike Ashley also owns Newcastle. 😀

We’ve had a few of South African readers write in this week,  and say they think the tour is going to take place, but the news today in the Sowetan is the first word we have seen in print.

Alan Pardew after Sunday’s game said that the Newcastle fans deserved to go to a nice warm place this summer – so that’s a decent hint too.

We would expect Newcastle to make an announcement on this in the next day or two.

Comments welcome.

• Graeme

May 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

People had a good time at the world cup in SA, some of the new facilities will still be in great condition. It could be a good trip – just a shame they aint doing Nigeria either on the way there or on the way back!!

We can but dream lol

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

May 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Nice 🙂

• tweaked

May 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

awesome, hope this happens, I’ll finally get to see my team up close and personal 🙂

• tweaked

May 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Graeme our main JHB stadium where this will be hosted is the calabash (FNB) stadium which also hosted the opening ceremony.. its hardly been used since then so I’m sure its still in gr8 condition lol

• davybtoon

May 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Why r we only gonna go for Luuk de Jong if ba leaves, lovenkrands n best will b gone so that’s 2 strikers down

• Londtoon

May 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I have never been to SA, would imagine it is hot and humid or hot and dry, both of which will be good conditioning for the guys. Can anyone shed light on the standard of the teams? Sure they will be accustomed to the climate so can’t imagine any easy games

• Klatoon

May 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

This will mean extensive coverage, last season when Spuds took part all their games, pressers, charity visits and part of their training sessions were broadcast. This is great because ve always wanted to watch the lads in training (HBA megging Simmo, willo and Raylor would be a particular highlight) 🙂

• sympathyforthedyer

May 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Sorry to break the news, but it will be our Winter when the tour happens. Not the warm dry conditions hoped for then..

• sirtoongospel

May 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM

davy I wouldn’t pay any attention to what the Chronicle or Journal say. Pards has said that there will be 3 come in regardless, and a good crop of youngsters. And he also said that if anyone leaves they will be replaced. So 2 defenders and a striker will be the minimum we bring in I would think, plus they will move to replace the likes of Lover, Guthrie etc if they leave. I would be surprised if we bring in less than 5 this Summer. They might not be big money, but I think that there will be several good value, solid signings. And De Jong or another good striker is a must. Best will be away.

• Graeme

May 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Tweaked, have any dates been released down there? Would much sooner plan a trip to Jo’berg – UK/ London will be a complete nightmare with the PE competition going on.

Its just as easy heading to SA from Nigeria as it is to UK, for me.

• Solaidback

May 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

SA must be paying a higher rate for them to attract us over there, especially with the amount of French players we have in the team, I’d have thought a summer trip to Europe would have been on the cards to increase our support/fan base over there???

Daveybtoon – thats just papaer talks fella, we’re probably going after him anyways but they’re trying to make more of a story out of it saying he’s gonna be Ba’s replacement instead of added to Ba & Cisse you see.. 🙂

• supatoonkid

May 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

@Graeme why do you want to go to Nigeria?

• vuckic

May 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Omg my team cumin to south africa.hop its tru so that i cn be able to see them

• Graeme

May 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Supa, I live there, my company is based there. I’m only in UK on business and to see family & friends.

• vuckic

May 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Omg my team cumin to south africa.hop its tru so that i cn be able to see them.

• vuckic

May 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM

@tweaked the fnb(calabash)is the home of kaizer chiefs.it has been used by them the whole season

• CTmag

May 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Wow, how many SA readers does this blog have? Anyway, hope they play at the Cape Town stadium, it would be great to see my team again. Hopefully the weather won’t be that bad (at the very least it should be better than in Newcastle).

• toonincheek

May 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

July/August is winter in South Africa?
    Must check my map – didn’t know someone had
    moved it to the southern hemisphere!

If we need a replacement for Ba, it will be a first-teamer.
    Lover and Best will be replaced with youngsters,
    I would think.

• southafricantoon

May 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Hey guys I’m not sure if I should be excited or worried!! Excited because finally I will get to see my heroes play. Sad because I know how these teams (chiefs , pirates) they dirty players!!! Its like playing against 11 De jongs…. So I’m worried about injuries….. This will be our winter time so that makes the tackles even worse….. If they do come I will definately be there!!!!

• PaddyToon

May 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

@17- yes its winter here..
    Cant wait.. i live in Johannesburg so ive only been able t see the magpies play twice and now for years of dedicated support they coming to me 😀

• southafricantoon

May 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’m not sure if I’m happy or worried!! Happy cause I can finally watch my heroes live… Worried because I know how these south african teams play…. Dirty and rubbish…. So I’m worried about injuries!!! It will be winter time so the tackles will be worse

• shearermania

May 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

yeah bring back the vavazulas or whatever those annoying things were called

• Zambiantoon

May 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Pls toon come!!!! I live in Zambia, which is like 2000kms away from South Africa! I’ve supported the toon from when I was 7 that’s when the prem league was introduced here. Never watch them play live! Only toon fan in the whole country!

• Craig Allen

May 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Whooo hoo -It’ll probably be played in JHB but I’ll fly down from CPT to see the guys play no matter what. I hope it’s not just empty speculation as I’ll finally be able to wear my Newcastle Brown Ale shirt at a live match!!!!! Hope some of the fans come down too would be great to revel in the atmosphere and chants

• Taking the Papiss

May 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I watched man united in this tournament years back, was great and ended in penalties. Dissapointing that some big players may miss out due to Euro and Olympics (ie Krul, Cabaye, HBA, BA, Cisse).

• roadfighter

May 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM

@ southafricantoon – I wouldn’t go as far as saying they play dirty and rubbish. African teams in general have always played a very physical game, not much “dirtier” than some Eastern European countries. The standard of football isn’t so bad 🙂

As a proud Toon fan since I was 13 I am super excited about this … will wait to see if there is anything else mentioned in the local press !!!