The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender – I’m Not Greedy – I Want To Stay

9:40 am, Sunday, May 20th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

As we said in our earlier report today – the Danny Simpson saga seems to be dragging on – and on – and on.

Danny Simpson - in action against Swansea

The news is that Danny Simpson has again refused to sign a new deal for Newcastle, and that the club will move him out in the summer.

But Danny has been interviewed in the local Sunday Sun today, and again he says he doesn’t want to leave the club:

“I’m not a greedy player and I just want to be on par with the other players around me. In football terms, what I’m asking for is by no means outrageous.”

“I want to stay at this club and I’ve been saying that all season. I’ve recently had a baby, I’m happy here and so is my family.”  “Hopefully me and the club can find some solution.”

“I want to stay but if I have to move, then I will accept it and move on.”  “Newcastle is a great club, what with 50,000 screaming Geordies at the game every week. Why would I want to leave?”

“There is speculation but I want to state, like I have all season, I want to stay.”  “Over the last two years I’ve played nearly 80 games and started most of them.”

“I’m not being greedy, this club is on the up, the manager and staff are brilliant – I want to stay.”

Newcastle fans seem in no mood to listen to a player wanting more money at the club, because when we were relegated Newcastle had the 6th top wage bill in the Premier League but finished in 18th position.

The players let Newcastle down badly in that relegation season, and the Newcastle Board are in no mood to go back to the old ways of vastly overpaying players,  for what they produce for the club.

For the record Danny had a good season, and played in 40 games with one goal,  and in his Newcastle career he has made 112 total appearances with two goals.

What Danny says is also correct, but it seems he will need to choose between what Newcastle have offered him, or move on.  And if  the difference between the two parties is not much, then why doesn’t he just sign along the dotted line?

There’s always two sides to any disagreement.

What do you think about this?

Tags: Contracts · Danny Simpson · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

HI!

• 2 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Sorry i did the first thing I know it’s lame. So re: my previous comments, it is the money then. Maybe you shouldn’t dig your heels in simmo, if you step up you may well be offered a better contract if you threaten to go next season.

• 3 Alinufc // May 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Does he mean on a par with nufc players or other teams, if second gotta say good-bye unfortunately: /

• 4 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

papiss_on_your_parade – Thta’s what i have been saying about him all season, but the shame is he was actually improving on the going missing up front thing of late. he could improve further if he took a leaf out of Perch’s book re discipline in staying in position. And tackling.

• 5 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Howay lads…he’s statistically the best RB in the “best league” in the world. Whatever Messi is on at Barca match it. Simple :)

P.S. Bye Simmo, thanks for the goal line clearances x

• 6 vuckic // May 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

He deserves decent wages.

• 7 Rotonda heights // May 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM

In brutal terms the likes of simpson are not going to get us to the next level, A few goal line clearances don’t really make up fo a total lack of ability going foward and the fatal backing off and deflected own goals.

• 8 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Ibiza @5 – :)

Vuckic @6 – what is he being offered now that isn’t ‘decent’?

• 9 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

What is a decent wage? Does anyone know what he’s being offered and what the other players in the team are earning?

Be interesting to see if the club come out and make a statement.

• 10 Troleibusiukas_LTU // May 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

http://videocelts.com/2012/05/blogs/younghoops/celtic-lose-to-newcastle-but-face-chelsea-in-hong-kong derby in hong kong

• 11 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Ibiza – don’t hold your breath for a club statement. He’ll go out the side door to qpr, villa, fulham…….

• 12 Tsunki // May 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Troleibusiukas_LTU – I will be looking at this with interest when the details come out properly. Some new faces in that squad and they seem to be doing very well. See they have the unwashed in the semi’s next, please don’t let them get beat by them!

• 13 CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon) // May 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Tsunki…I would think you’re right. If they are offering his good (ish) money, it would good for them to just come out and say we’re offering him “x” and he’s just a greedy tw@.

How happy is everyone we didn’t get 4th spot in the end? Can’t imagine how horrible i’d be feeling this morning if I was a spurs fan (besides the normal skanky feeling of being a spurs fan of course :) )

• 14 clinath@ed // May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Danny. Ask yourself this: am I happy? If so, sign the contract and continue your career at an up and coming, successful club. However, if the wages difference is eating you up then, pack your bags and find satisfaction elseware.

• 15 seebeebelgium // May 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I kind off understand both parties here. Newcastle don’t want to become the overpaying club again. But at the same time it can’t be fun for Danny if he is on substantially lower wages than his teammates (a situation I feel much sympathy towards).

• 16 GoalsBringSmiles // May 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It is impossible for any of us to judge whether it’s the greed of Simpson or the greed of MA preventing progress given that as per usual there is no transparency in the boards dealings. it is therefore completely futile arguing over it.

• 17 voodoo85 // May 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM

i hate greedy players but we dont know the details here, if danny is on somewhere like 15k but Santon is on 30k – then i think Simmo is allowed to feel a bit disgruntled

in my opinion, Santon is a much better player and is still much younger but Simmo will argue that he was a 1st team regular more than Santon was etc and should be at least matched wages

i’m not sayin i agree btw – just sayin that would be simmo’s argument and as we dont know the facts – i aint gonna judge

• 18 check the toastie // May 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Simpson is being offered more than he is worth. Simple.

• 19 tommyneck // May 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

i cant wait for him to go completely average and cost us a few games this season. should of got rid of him in jan with qpr was asking about him

• 20 renzo // May 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

it would be best if we keep him-but we should not break the bank. on the other hand , he is a good defender and he is english.

• 21 Hatem's better than Messi // May 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Danny Simpson has had a great season.
    The lad couldn’t have done much better he played nearly all the matches.
    We had lots of clean sheets and he cleared off the line four or five times at least.

He’s been up against some of the best wingers in the world and not many got passed him.

He deserves a better contract, which I believe has been offered.
    I hope he signs, he’s steady and coming up to the best years of his career.

Get signed up Danny!!!

• 22 The_Toon // May 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Nicky Butt as you guys can remember was starting to get on everyone’s nerves his last few days with Newcastle. They had to play him because he had a clause in his contract that granted him to start at least 19 games a season otherwise the club would have to compensate him .. I think like most players it seems that Simmo is asking for a contract that would keep him in the starting line-up rather than being on the bench… The same problem was with Nolan he wanted such a clause in his contract but NUFC did not grant him that and therefore he left.

• 23 JP...from The Rock // May 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

He does deserve a pay rise (not huge) but instead of demanding one similar to Saylor once then I am afraid there’s usually only one outcome, you shut your trap and prove your worth it or we chuck you out. Saylor saw the sense and stayed out and was rewarded so I hope he does too. That said I can also understand the club wanting a player that offers more on the pitch other than impressive goal-line clearances. Maybe if he weren’t out of position he would not have had to stop a goal bound effort on the line,think about it.
    The amount of times he backs away from incoming opponents is annoying and risky as it always allows the opposition to gain ground and possibly win a corner or get in a cross. I would much better prefer a full back that attacks and defends with confidence like Santon but stronger at defending. Santon is improving fast and already has done more going forward than Simpson all season.

So to narrow it down Simpson deserves a small pay rise for his ever-present in the team and more solid than not displays. Should he be a first-team player? I don’t think so. We could do better and the club should not be held ransom by any player. If Simpson were asking for a reasonable amount I am sure the club would accept but will not bow don’t to demands and certainly not from such an dispensable player as average as Simpson.

Sorry but you either smart up or F Off!

HWTL