Sam Allardyce – Reputation Restored – My Job Is To Thrill Fans

West Ham were promoted back to the Premier League at their first attempt yesterday, when they beat Blackpool 2-1 in the Championship  play-off final at Wembley.

Sam Allardyce at Wembley yesterday

But Blackpool were the better side, and played the class football, stroking the ball around the field. However, you cannot expect to win big games when you miss your chances as Blackpool did throughout the game.

And they missed at least three gilt edged opportunities in the first half alone.

And we’ll not even mention all the chances Bayern Munich missed last night in losing 4-3 on penalties to Chelsea, after the game ended 1-1 after extra time, and they included a missed penalty by former Blues player Arjen Robben.

But there’s no doubt that Sam Allardyce was under enormous pressure to get West Ham promoted this season, and in yesterdays’ game you could see the stress etched on big Sam’s face.

But Sam did it, and of course he was rightly over the moon after the game.

But Sam is sometimes his own worst enemy, by blowing his trumpet all the time, and he said that the Championship play-off  final was a bigger game than the Champions League final – well at least bigger in the sense it changes people’s lives:

“The Champions League final is a glory game, this is about your livelihood and your status. The Champions League is a big tournament but this one is about changing people’s lives.”

But then Sam gets into telling everybody how good he was and still is, and that after he left Newcastle the Magpies were relegated.

But that had nothing to do with Sam being fired, and more to do with Kevin Keegan leaving in early September of 2008, after an altercation with Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise on transfers.

For the record, big Sam was sacked from Newcastle in January of 2008, mainly because the football Newcastle were playing was not matching what Mike Ashley and the Newcastle fans wanted to see.

This is what Sam said after the game at Wembley yesterday:

“I was considered to be at the top of my industry when I was at Bolton.” “They were fifth when I left and having suffered two sackings, which were harsh, to say the least, it damaged my reputation and people didn’t consider me to be as good as I was.”

“But I’m still achieving great things at a great football club.” ‘Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle all went down after I left so that says I must have done all right when I was there.”

“The vast majority of West Ham fans have been behind the team all season,’ ‘At the end of the day, in 2012 we have lost one game, I think that’s out of 21 matches.”

“Now if you cannot celebrate that as a good season, I don’t know what you can celebrate. Overall, we have only lost eight in 49. It’s been a thrilling season, outstanding from the players.”

“My job is about thrilling fans and giving them what they want, entertaining them at a great venue with a great victory and a great end to the season.”

“Now we can look forward to playing at places like Chelsea, Arsenal Spurs and QPR in London as well as trips to Old Trafford and Anfield. This is a memory for life and it means an awful lot.”

We should point out that Newcastle lost only four of their 46 games in the Championship, when the great Chris Hughton brought Newcastle straight back up, and the Magpies won the Championship by 11 points from West Brom and 23 points ahead of 3rd placed Nottingham Forest, and finished up with a massive 102 points.

Now that’s something to boast about. 😀

And finally, what was that big Cup they were awarded at the end of the game –  it was bigger than the European Cup – and they finished 3rd in England’s second division?

It was hardly appropriate.

Comments welcome.

• Beardo

May 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Fat, delusional, slab-headed slob.

• ToonDownSouth

May 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Wow. He really does think he’s the real deal doesn’t he..?

Does anyone remember when he said that if he was managing Real Madrid or Inter Milan, he’d win the treble every year.

Ed why are you posting articles about this man on our blog?

• ochytoon

May 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Can ‘Sam Allardyce’ and ‘thrill’ be used in the same sentence?
    I hate the man, thinks he’s goods gift to football when in fact he’s worse Tony Pulis. There I said it, the universe will probably collapse on itself now.

• level7wonder

May 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Repost: I went on a tour of the ground yesterday, and it was very good and I thought worth more then the £7.50 I paid. It showed me how much more goes on at the club then just football, there was a wedding on and more business meetings then you could imagine. One thing that I thought was different was that big ol’ Mike Ashley had two of the former suites knocked into one huge room, which he then turned into his own personal night club. A little insight into the world of a billionaire, and I guess that is where some of the carroll money went, well thats what the guide said anyways. Haha. Another thing was that literally everything in the stadium has been branded with sports direct. Even the famous “howay the lads” on the tunnel to the pitch has “SPORTS DIRECT” Branded across it, which is quite depressing as that is part of the history of the club which I personally think should be left untouched. Finally, the home & away changing rooms were such a contrast I couldn’t believe it. The home dressing room was what you would expect, beautifully laid out and modern, but the away dressing room was like being back in PE!!

Just a little insight to the club and yes, I would recommend anyone visiting the city, or just from newcastle who hasn’t been before, to go on the tour as it is well worth it!

• level7wonder

May 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Oh and on this article, how is “all these clubs went down after I left” anyway linked to showing he is a good manager? He just talks utter $%#* from his big hole in his fat potato head

• nufc786

May 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM

• ochytoon

May 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM

level7
    Went on the tour a few years ago. Must agree that its well worth the money and learning all those interesting facts as well as the history was great.

• pbNcl

May 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Always knew west ham would be back in the prem. In all fairness they don’t deserve to play down there, like we didn’t. Wonder out of the 3 demoted teams will come back the strongest? I reckon it’ll be…… Blackburn would normally get my vote but I can’t see steve kean masterminding that league. So I’m gonna say bolton

• ochytoon

May 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Repost
    pieceof papiss
    Are you NUFC_ITK_?
    That would explain why you took offence

• Tooooon

May 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

He’s using the fact that Bolton, Blackburn and us went down when he left, maybe because that was the state he left our clubs in. he’s a useless manager, a fat ugly rodent, who should give up as a football manager. His football is the most boring, unexciting load of rubbish you’ll ever see, and despite my best mates being West Ham fans just because of Alladyce, Greedy Nolan, and their Paedofile of a owner I hope they get relegated.

• Garreth

May 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Newcastle win the Hong Kong seven-a-side tournament. The team, comprising of reserves and U18 players, beat local side HKFA Dragons (2-0), Hong Kong Football Club (1-0), Aston Villa (1-0), Celtic (2-1), Sunderland (1-0) and Villa again (2-1) to lift the trophy.

Well done lads!

• level7wonder

May 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Ochy – So much history and the guide kept talking about “back in the day” how he would climb over the fence to get in, or during the winter come and clear the straw from the pitch and they would let all the youths lie in the straw and watch the match. Canny like to say the least!

• SupaToonKid

May 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The only positive about West Ham coming back into the Premiership is that we can maybe take a look at Matty Phillips & Thomas Ince as both look very good players for the future.

• MonsterMagnet

May 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM

ochytoon // May 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Can ‘Sam Allardyce’ and ‘thrill’ be used in the same sentence?

——————-

How about, “Allardyce gets West Ham job, local Greggs managers thrilled”?

• ochytoon

May 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM

MonsterMagnet
    Oooooo burn!

• Graeme

May 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I thought FSA had won promotion?

Since when did it come complete with a Character Transplant??

• pieceofpapiss

May 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

REPOST
    ochytoon
    And if your going to grief people for passing on any kind of information regarding our club then you deserve to be called out on it. It’s just bad crack.
    Do you not read newspapers, watch the news or READ THIS BLOG for fear of reading a rumor that may or may not be true? Ed posts transfer rumors all the time, what’s to say his sources aren’t the same as the guy on twitter? Take it all with a pinch of salt and move on, dont give someone abuse for it.

• Dannyo

May 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Oh God, i think i just threw up in my mouth…. Big Sam is only big on himself.
    Oh, God, i threw up again.

• Small World

May 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Off topic, but has any one else noticed.

Pardew’s former clubs:-

Reading – 1st (promoted)
    Southampton – 2nd (promoted)
    West Ham – 3rd (promoted)
    Charlton – 1st (promoted)

I think he needs to get his finger out, he’s clearly underperformed this year :0) – or by the same barmy logic, how about getting rid of him?

• boardman64

May 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I really hope we absolutely destroooooooyyyy West Ham next season now.
    I’m not that impressed no matter what he says, they kept a lot of their big players on big wages and still struggled to get promoted, Reading came out of nowhere and Southampton (who were in League 1 the season before) still finished above them. Plus Blackpool were wasteful in the playoff final so he has nothing to brag about.

• ToonDownSouth

May 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

pieceofpapiss

There’s a different between quoting something from a paper, and claiming to have inside knowledge from Newcastle United Footbal Club.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been reading/posting on here (people change names all the time, it’s hard to keep track), but you start to get wound up when these ‘In The Know’ kids spend an entire summer assuring fans that they 100% know we’re signing Gervinho/Erdinc/etc, then it doesn’t happen.

Ed is just quoting papers, and he always says that. These people are leading fans on, and lying about their identities to give fans false hope.

• Tsunki

May 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Man oh man – I read something else there fatty – that you trashed those clubs and that you were shooed out before the grounds set on fire and exploded.

Allardyce & excitement in the same sentence? Pffft!

• Graeme

May 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Thrill fans – is he having a laugh? When was the last time he did that?? Certainly not with his football, thats for sure!!

• pieceofpapiss

May 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

@toondownsouth

I agree 100% with what your saying, i just dont think people should be subjected to abuse for relaying that information

• NUFC STEVE

May 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Anyone see mulumbu of west brom latest tweet?
    “Chelsea,Liverpool or Newcastle……next season.”
    Hope he doesn’t mean transfer!!!

• Ben3arfa

May 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I really dislike Fat Sam as a manager and person

The words Thrilling football are certainly not synonymous with him at all

• check the toastie

May 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

If he wasnt sacked he would have taken us very close to going down, and in the process taking the whole club to the brink. Ashley deserves great credit in getting rid of this egomaniac as quick as possible,

The man who gave the Toon such players as Geremi, Viduka, Cacapa, Barton, and wait for it Alan Smith, the guy certainly has an eye for talent.

What a self trimming fcukwit pr1ck.

• check the toastie

May 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

NUFC steve – maybe mulumbu’s tipping us for the league.

He is not good enough for us, however might get a game for the other two teams.

• Tsunki

May 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM

repost –

pieceofpapiss – ITK’s have a bad track record mate you have to expect that rumours from certain sources garner a deal of incredulity. If it’s a regular poster or even a regular reader who pipes up with what they have heard, then they will get the due respect as a run-of-the-mill tattler lol. If you do get it spot on then you have the right to come back and ‘in your face’ any who ridiculed you for it. Fair enough?

• Tsunki

May 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Here’s one for Samuel (the ex-mackembtw) – how many of his former victims would take him back for a 2nd stint? Don’t make me laugh.

• hoppernufc

May 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

just been watching some videos of obertan on youtube and couldnt believe when i saw that he used to be there corner taker when he played even though giggs,rooney etc were on the pitch :O he cant cross a ball to save his life for us haha

• Indian Magpie

May 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I remember MILNER saying, NUFC would not have been relegated if sam Allardyce was not sacked

• Indian Magpie

May 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Demba Ba ?@dembabafoot
    What a great season we had. I’ll miss sjp and the atmosphere for few weeks. Cant wait to step back on the pitch and feel the noise again…
    Retweeted by steve wraith

• Tsunki

May 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Indian -wrestling with your double negative – so if Allardyce stayed we would have stayed up? It’s true because a want-away player said it?

• ToonDownSouth

May 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

We’re 5th and in Europe, and Fat Sam is scraping through the playoffs.

Hmm…

• Indian Magpie

May 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder
    Congratulations to the young #NUFC reserve side out in the Far East who have won the Hong Kong 7s. Well done lads!

• Tsunki

May 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

old tweet indina. Current one is where he is trying to explain what he meant by saying Drogba is THE best No. 9. lol

• Indian Magpie

May 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

steve wraith retweeted just few minutes ago

• Dannyo

May 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Still an old tweet.

• Dannyo

May 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

And who follows Steve Wraith? The guy is a big a blockhead as cwarr.

1 2 3 5