Newcastle Close To Announcing First Summer Signing

Newcastle are reported to be close to announcing their first summer signing.

Romain Amalfitano – signing announced this week?

22 year-old Reims midfielder Romain Amalfitano has already signed a pre-contract agreement with Newcastle and will be the first player announced by Newcastle in this summer transfer window.

Romain is yet another “unknown” player unearthed by Newcastle’s Chief Scout Graham Carr, and he has been playing in the second division of the French league.

But this lad must have something special, if Newcastle are bringing him to Tyneside, and if he’s anything like some of the other players Carr has spotted over the last couple of years, he will be good – very good.

Romain has played his part in the deal, by being quiet about which club he will be joining, and he did say this in the French Daily L’Equipe this weekend:

“Everyone will know at the end of the season where I will be playing my football next season.”

Amalfitano is expected to be signing a contract for three years at Newcastle through June of 2015, and he’s the younger brother of 27 year-old Morgan Amalfitano, who currently plays for Marseilles and is a French International midfielder.

Romain is a right footed player and has played 63 times for Reims, and scored 10 goals over the last couple of seasons.

His brother was a late developer at Marseilles, and it seems Newcastle think his younger brother could also be a late developer – and of course it’s a low risk signing for the Magpies, with Romain being a free agent and on a low wage on Tyneside – at least initially.

Romain fits right into the profile of young unknown players who have big potential, who Newcastle are always on the look-out for these days.

• catchy in norway

May 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

we know this really, not a shock

• Tooooon

May 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Haven’t seen or heard much about him.. doubt he’ll be a regular? But could be good to play against the UEFA teams or the League Cup teams…

• Tooooon

May 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thing is the League 2 of french football is probably equivalent to the English first division – so I’m unsure how he’ll be like… but in Carr we trust!

• Graeme

May 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

With us now being in Europe next year, we will need all the bodies we can lay our hands on!! If he is as good as the reports say he as, its a no-brainer lol

• redondo77

May 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I hope we don’t buy english players, the best thing is produce english players.
    Pieters, Debuchy – 6 mil – national team
    Santon – 5m – national team, serie A, coppa italia, CL winner
    and Clynne costs 5mil? what the hell?

• davybtoon

May 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I wouldn’t say French league 2 is league 1 standard over here French players n foreign players in general are far more technically gifted than English players n that’s even at the lower levels

• estechco

May 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Ed, I don’t know whether any has mentioned it yet, but it seems the dodgy  characters that have started popping up all over the place (and which are more than a little annoying), disappear once you log in and re-appear if you log out again?

Kind of curious?!?

• tarie4

May 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Also, didn’t his club win promotion to league 1? I think I read it somewhere.. Anyway this lad looks like a loverman replacement.

• redondo77

May 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM

if Romain is english player, how much would he cost? 8mil?

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM

FOR THE SO CALLED NUF FOLLOWERS

Chelsea’s Champions League success might mean Tottenham entering next season’s Europa League, but it does not affect Newcastle’s standing in the competition. Subject to formal ratification later this week, the Magpies will still enter the final play-off round on August 23 and 30. They should learn the identity of their opponents at a draw on August 10.

• Edd Case

May 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

This lad is a very decent player and for free, not a big gamble at all.

We’re going to look a very different team next season I reckon.

• Tsunki

May 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

What is a NUF follower Indian ?

• Indian Magpie

May 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

corrigendum

apropos, to my comment @10. its NUFC and not NUF.

Inconvinience is regretted

• Tooooon

May 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Yes, davybtoon. they may be technically more gifted, but tactically and defensive the English leagues are far superior… I watched a compliation video of Amalfitano and practically all his goals he scored were down to poor goalkeeping and poor defensive performances, so I’m unsure how many goals he’d be able to get, and I’m sure he’ll get a lot less space in the PL than the League 2 in France… Not saying we shouldn\t buy this lad I’m just saying not to expect to much of him.

And yes, English players are bizarrely overvalued, very strange.

• redondo77

May 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

hopefully streete, toland, alnwick, campbell, etc will come through for us if not next season, then season after.
    tav, sammy, fergie, vuckic, abeid are like our new signings for next season.

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

May 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

As in “I’ve had ‘nuf following”. He’s just getting in to the lingo 🙂

Everyone have high hopes for an exciting week?

• Beattie25

May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I don’t think Amalfitano will be the First announcement. Got my money on Debuchy.

By the beard of Zues I hope I’m correct

• CODARM (The poster formely known as Ibizatoon)

May 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Beattie…with your current identity crises…i’m not sure you should you use the word “beard” 🙂

• zaktoon_swede

May 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

i can understand that you can get a bit worried about where he’s played before etc but on the other hand, correct me if im wrong, belhanda, giroud and mbiwa were ligue 2 a year or so ago as well and now suddenly theyre all worldbeater…

this is a low-risk signing that could prove to be a coup. surely graham carr wouldnt recommend a player whom he’d think struggle in the ligue 1? im all for it.

• zaktoon_swede

May 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

*think would

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Lets make sure that this player does,nt have any stupid clausules in his contract when he does sign for us!

@10:

Indian, the Dutch teams who qualified for The Euro League were given the dates when they are going to be playing in the weekend just gone!
    It looks like we are going to get PSV or AZ Alkmaar in our group! I would of preferred Arnhem Vitesse who qualified yesterday getting the last place available in Holland! Vitesse,s ground is close to where i live!

• AndyG

May 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE, where do you live mate and do you travel back? I live in Heerlen and travel back for each home game. Hoping to get some teams close to me next season!

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

@22:

We live close by to Nijmegen! But can never afford to pay to get back y,em to watch the Lads in Newcastle! My wage packet don,t stretch that far!

Tried to get a ticket to watch the lads in Eindhoven last time we played PSV in the C.L.! Can,t remember which year? But their Ticket office wanted me to buy (a Paspartout Ticket!).
    This is like a combination ticket for all of the PSV games in the C.L.
    I was,nt interested in going to the Phiilips stadium to watch them against Dynamo Kiev! Plus it was going to cost me 400 gulders! I told them i would stay home with a beer on the couch!

• RSA_Magpie

May 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

If Carr says his good enough he must be!! Believe the boys are heading to South Africa soon, can’t wait.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM

We are spread about all around the Globe!

My old Man was right when he always used to say “Where-ever you go your sure to find a Geordie!

• oldbobaycliffe

May 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

the season has just finished and already the press are talking about the two man teams and chelsea vying to spend 35million on one player so it will be interesting to see what the total spend of the four clubs above us will be and can we with tight restraints get any higher than fifth.or is that all we can fight for.

• JP...from The Rock

May 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I seriously think he will be chucked into the Development Squad along with a bunch of promising youngsters from every corner of the globe. He does look a canny little player I might add, but they only show the best bits on you-tube videos and that’s something you have to keep in mind while watching them and take them with a pinch of salt. More of the same please 🙂