Fabricio Coloccini Has Shown Great Leadership At Newcastle

The Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini, who has turned out be a terrific signing for Newcastle from Deportivo in the summer of 2008, has talked about trying to keep Newcastle’s top players this summer.

Fabricio Coloccini – keep our best players

There is always going to be speculation about transfers in the summer, that’s part of football, but it does seem like at least one top Newcastle player may leave the club.

We don’t know who that may be, but it could be Demba Ba or Cheick Tiote, and since the news coming out of the club is that Newcastle will only sell this player if there’s a huge offer, maybe it isn’t Demba Ba.

That’s because, if we are to believe the news over the last five months, his release clause is only for £7M, unless Newcastle can get him to sign a new deal of course.

Fabricio was asked if he wanted Newcastle to keep their top players, which on reflection seems a bit of a daft question – what did they expect him to say – sell the lot of them?

This is what Fab actually said:

“Of course I would like the team to stay together,” “I think the most important thing is to keep the spine of this team together, then hopefully we will bring in some players to help us.”

“It is very important that we keep that backbone for Europe next season. And of course having some new players would be very welcome.”  “There is always speculation in the summer but it will be nice for it not to be about me this time,”

“It happens when the transfer window is open. Sometimes because there is no football to talk about, people just want to talk about transfers when there is nothing there.”

“It is football, it happens but I have always said I’m happy at Newcastle United.”

Fab has turned out to be a great captain for Newcastle this season, and the Argentine leads by example, and of course he also has great experience these days, and the season in the Championship made him into a much tougher defender.

He was a popular choice as captain when Alan Pardew appointed him last July, and here’s  the results of the poll we put on July 8th last year – 93% in favor of his appointment.

Is Coloccini A Good Choice As Captain?

• Yes (93%, 1,578 Votes)
  • Not Sure (4%, 75 Votes)
  • No (3%, 53 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,705

Loading ... Loading ...

And when we watched the Newcastle matches last season, it was easy to see his influence on the side, not only by the calm way he carried out his duties at the back, but when there was a free kick or a corner, Fab was the one making sure everybody was covered.

He shows a different kind of leadership to Kevin Nolan, it’s calmer and quieter, but  it is very effective, and Colo will go down as one of the best defenders to have played for Newcastle.

Newcastle over-achieved big time last season, and we are hoping not many (zero?) of our top players leave this summer, and then we can pick up next season, where we left off last season,  and challenge for a top four position.

That’s our hope in any case.

Comments welcome.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Beattie FROM LAST

I agree in part

But i think hes trying to say that with the squad we have and the potential investment that will take place this summer, (no alot) then its going to be near impossible, especially as Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal will all spend alot more than us on new players,

I think looking at Stoke proves it (now we are a far better side than Stoke dont get me wrong)

But its a long long season with the Europa league too.

hes right in terms of us being realistic, I have been saying this to you directly for AGES! We dont have huge sums of money to spend, but if the RIGHT player is available for a good price (Cisse) we will buy, the board have proved it! Vertonghen wants to go to Spurs so we never had a chance anyways,

He is saying that our Tagrget last season was top ten, and this season will be top 8, no saying we cant/wont exceed that, but its the fans this meassage is aimed at Not the players. Do you really think that he talks to his players through the press !!! No, his message to them im sure will be one of encouragement and positivity but he wont put huge pressure on them that they must fin in the top 5 or else, and neither should the fans.

Pardew is smart for me he understands Toon fans clearly, and knows that a glimmer of success makes up salivate and think we are bigger than we are, hes just saying lest invest in value young players with bags of potential and develop a solid squad and football club one step at a time and if we finish in the top 4,5,6 then GREAT, we all know that Pards and the players will give their all do achieve that.

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM

any 1 know if MBIWA, played a RB or CH against auxerre becoz if he played as a CH, he was just fabulous, a ball playing strong CH

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM

If pardew’s prediction Comes True then we will never get invited to TEA by Beattie again 🙁

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Indian

HAHAHA

• TheChippedFifth

May 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Finding out your wife’s marital aid is actually called Geoff and lives next door is too good for Ashley.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

May 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Colo-Sus

on your comment about Newcastle being delusional of wanting a top 5 finish again.

You do have a point, but I think you are very wrong….

Here is why …one word…

NAPOLI

SUre they are out of the CL for next season but they where not so long ago in LEAGUE 3 my friend look what they are doing now. They themselves dont have a budget or a player pool base like Juve, Milan, Inter, even Lazio. They have their top 3 star players Lavezzi, Hamšik, Cavani.

I think CL with a budget is very possible….Money buys you success bit it aint guaranteed.

However I also agree with you on the signings, unfortunately for us we really DO NEED the 6 players no less….

I cant see Ash being so giving, pity really…

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

The Chipped Fifth:

If you are not Jail name change then dont attempt that! Plus it was pap, be original

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Gorgonzola,

Even Montpellier got promoted 3 years gao,

Athletic Bilbao, they only sign basque players

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

May 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I’ve been to beatties for “tea”. Nowt special 😉

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Gorgonzola:

Mate Napoli are one of the richest teams in Europe look at the rankings I think they are in the top 10!

i agree they dont go out and buy loads of players for silly fees but they could if they wanted too, plus Lavezzi Cavani and Hamsik are all world class players. We have some real talent in our team but we are not at Napoli’s level yet mate, far from it, They have a much bigger squad as well. something like a pool of 35 first team players, you can look at all this on Uefa’s website or any Seria A fan site if you want too, I know this as Napoli just happen to be my foreign team and I follow them closely, as my Grandad is Italian and was born about 5 miles from Naples.

True Story

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Indian:

Do montpellier have to compete against Man U, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea oh and Liverpool….

No , Ligue 1 does not have the anmount of quality opposition that the prem does mate, therefore its easier for different teams to be successful

IE Lille and Montpellier.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

@Gorgonzola

I think your radar is off pal,

Im not saying we are delusional about WANTING top 5, we can WANT to win the league,

Im simply saying that I agree with Pards that without Substantial recruitment and investment itll be Damn hard to stay there, but I really hope we can go close again, I think we have a shout. I agre with him on setting realistic goals and targets though, thats just common sense.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

May 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Colo-Sus

I love Napoli too mate 🙂 I am so chuffed they took the cup :)))))

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

May 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Colo-Sus

I think it will be harder but we have quality players and I dont want to take they off the hook that easily… Why bother then… I think even if you take out this season in context…. a top 5 finish is a MUST next season…

Cause if last season was a top 8 then next season is a top 5 surely…

capisci?

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Gorgonzola

Our target was TOP TEN last season, we exceeded it and thats great, but our target this season is top8. If we exceed again than awesome

thats all hes saying, you cant say top 5 is a must mate thats just not using your head, come on.