Tottenham In Talks With Newcastle Defensive Target

It seems that Tottenham Hotspur have made the first move for Ajax captain and Belgium International center-back Jan Vertonghen.

Jan Vertonghen – in talks with Tottenham

The news is that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been spotted at the Amsterdam ArenA, and is trying to close the deal for the 6’3″ Ajax center-back.

The Belgium international has been tracked by Newcastle all season, but he has apparently indicated that his preference is to move to White Hart Lane, even though their north London rivals Arsenal, are also after the 6’3″ defender.

Jan played 42 times for Ajax with 10 goals in all competitions last season,  and it’s interesting he scored 8 goals in 31 Eredivisie games.  Maybe he’s the one Alan Pardew was talking about, when he said he wanted a center-back who can score 8 goals in a season.

Levy has been spotted by the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf at the Amsterdam ArenA, and the news is that he is currently in advanced talks with Jan and his representatives.

While Newcastle are interested in the player, we always thought it could be difficult to get him on Tyneside, although Tottenham are only in the Europa League next season, as are Newcastle.

The news in De Telegraaf is that Levy has also met with Ajax financial director Jeroen Slop and commercial director Henri van der Aat, as Spurs try to quickly wrap up the deal, before any other club moves in.

So Newcastle could miss out on one of their targets, who is thought to cost around £6M, with only one year left on his contract at Ajax.

But Newcastle have plenty other center-backs they have been tracking over the last season, including Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Toby Alderweireld of Ajax, and the 6’4″ Brazilian Douglas of FC Twente.

And we’re sure that top Newcastle scout Graham Carr could also have one or two surprises  for Newcastle fans this summer.

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

repost

no way we will sign Davies, especially when we already have perch and raylor, and we just signed amalfitano too. we got vuckic and abeid too

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

wow first 😛

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

i don’t think we never really going for verthongen. unless we are doing it silent but deadly, stealing him from spurs.

• Jail for Ashley

May 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Getting to the ferry landing two seconds after the doors have shut is too good for Ashley.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

GOOD

At least we can stop the cloud cuckoo land talk now

Rotunda :

Relegation is the best thing that EVER happened to NUFC it gave us a massive wake up call.

Im simply saying that I agree with the Prds philosophy of being Realistic about where we are and our aims. Look at Moyes (awesome manager) He works with less budget than us and works wonders, Lets win a cup, get back into Europe and get as high as we can next season, if we finish in the top 8 I think thats fantastic

• jameswild

May 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Would rather have a defender who wants to play for us if he is gunning for Spurs!

• Jail for Ashley

May 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Doh,hate this new format

• Dannyo

May 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Dunno if he’s the one AP was thinking about, but certainly the type of player.
    Can certainly not fault Pardew who want goalscoring players. 8 more goals and same amount assits from a new CB and a new fullback?

Am i hoping for too much?

• Jail for Ashley

May 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Colo-sus
    Long time no see,thought you had a name change,how you doing ?

• sirtoongospel

May 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I can understand wht top 5 is a very big ask, but from the teams below us, only Chelsea and a big spending Liverpool should be finishing higher.

Everton could lose Baines and Fellaini. I don’t think for one minute that other teams should be able to turn around a 10/12 point gap if we invest wisely.

7th should be our target next year, and if cup results go our way (if we don’t win one) then we would once again be in the Europa

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM

we didn’t have any come-back after being down last season.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Jail

Im good mate. cheers hows yourself!

Yeah I had a break from commenting TBH, I was getting sick of the OV stuff, was all getting a bit Geek fest for me. I was still reading though.

Hope you’re well fella

• Owldman

May 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

No way will we get Vertongen the bright light of London are calling.I believe next season could see us start to use more of our home grown talent but young players blossom better in a successful teams.

• davybtoon

May 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Why won’t we sign more midfielders for starters perch n rtaylor arnt midfielders n Vukic n amalfitano can both b used in the front 3, we still need more midfielders n Davies is a good player I’d rather get someone from abroad like

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

the key to success next season is Rotation, can’t expect all the players to do a “Jonas”, they will be too tired by the end of season.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

CORGNET

He is class lads Im telling you, got lightning pace for a CM and Scores goals, plays like a young Lampard if you watch him.

He is a must for me

• GeordieToon89

May 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM

A dont even believe he was a target in the first place

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

May 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Jfa, dannyo, colo-sus. All we need now is wwjbd and ruddy to have all the realists (but secret fantasists) at once.
    Jfa you always amuse me.

On topic, id like to think we are in for somebody else and vertonghen was just a rumour. Especially if arry gets him and is gonna gloat about “we got a guy that lots of clubs wanted but he chose us because we’re the best option”.

• HOVIS (the poster formerly known as cheick norris)

May 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I forgot Davy and gt89 in that list

• Solaidback

May 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I don’t think we’re after this guy anyways, his price tag isn’t within our range so imo I think its a smoke screen for who we’re really after… his young team mate.. lol

Some of yous are forgetting we don’t publease who we’re after, so all these stories about players we’re supposedly after, you can forget them.. its bo!!oxs imo…

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I love that Spurs didnt get CL Mind

Its made me so happy

hahaha

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Solaidback

You forget we were link with Cisse and Santon before we actually bought them.

• redondo77

May 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

linked

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

If we get M’Biwa, don’t mind losing out on Vertonghen.

Quick, mobile, skilful, decisive, commanding presence and good leader and organiser.

I still have nightmares about the marking or lack of it for Everton’s 3rd goal!! As long as Willo is replaced with someone with a bit of pace and ball playing ability I’d be happy.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Am I the only one who thinks MBiwa is not what we need , I have been saying for ages that he is more like Colo…Great if we sign him AND a gig Arial Presence.

WE NEED SOMEONE WHO CAN WIN THE BALL IN THE AIR LADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mbiwa is the same height as Perch FFS!”! good player yes but not what we need righ now, great if we signj him and say Douglas or Alderwireld, but not instead of!

• Beattie25

May 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Regarding the last thread and I’m afraid to say it has broken me and I shall return to my old ways for a minute.

What Pardew has said is an absolute travesty and how you lot are trying to put a positive spin on it, whilst the intent is good, Is also wrong.

Is there only me that is furios with those comments??

To say it is impossible is an utter outrage. I could understand difficult, I could comprehend ‘our toughest challenge’ but impossible?! Talk about negativity.

Not only does this dampen the expectations of the fans for the transfer window but also the season ahead and we are not the biggest victims here. The players must be confused. How can Cabaye, Tiote, Krul, Benny etc… Be happy with the fact that our own manager thinks it impossible to finish 5th. We are supposed to be a club in transition, one that is pushing on each year so how can we keep top players when there is no faith?!

I’m not disputing the fact that Pardew may have been employing some sort of reverse physcology in order to challenge the players but then surely it would be at the start of the season not so close to end of one, with plenty of time to buy and sell.

I don’t often disagree with Pardews press releases but he has got this horribly wrong IMO. It is a complete balls up that has left me deflated, uninspired and angry at the side step of progress.

In some ways I hope it’s not only me who feels this but then again I hope it is.

• IPToon

May 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I agree that we need someone who is big, but they need to be quick as well. Vincent Kompany maybe? Douglas might be tall but he wont bring much more than that. He will be the next bramble or boumsong.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Beattie

I agree in part

But i think hes trying to say that with the squad we have and the potential investment that will take place this summer, (no alot) then its going to be near impossible, especially as Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal will all spend alot more than us on new players,

I think looking at Stoke proves it (now we are a far better side than Stoke dont get me wrong)

But its a long long season with the Europa league too.

hes right in terms of us being realistic, I have been saying this to you directly for AGES! We dont have huge sums of money to spend, but if the RIGHT player is available for a good price (Cisse) we will buy, the board have proved it! Vertonghen wants to go to Spurs so we never had a chance anyways,

He is saying that our Tagrget last season was top ten, and this season will be top 8, no saying we cant/wont exceed that, but its the fans this meassage is aimed at Not the players. Do you really think that he talks to his players through the press !!! No, his message to them im sure will be one of encouragement and positivity but he wont put huge pressure on them that they must fin in the top 5 or else, and neither should the fans.

Pardew is smart for me he understands Toon fans clearly, and knows that a glimmer of success makes up salivate and think we are bigger than we are, hes just saying lest invest in value young players with bags of potential and develop a solid squad and football club one step at a time and if we finish in the top 4,5,6 then GREAT, we all know that Pards and the players will give their all do achieve that.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

IP TOON

My preference would be Adlerwireld I really rate him,

Quality player

• Indian Magpie

May 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

any 1 know if MBIWA, played a RB or CH against auxerre becoz if he played as a CH, he was just fabulous, a ball playing strong CH

• GeordieDan

May 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Beattie> maybe its a similar tactic to Mancini telling his players its “impossible” to beat Man U in the title race to take the pressure off them?

Worked for them. 🙂

Must admit some of Pardews comments need to be clarified though.

• Colo-Sus

May 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM

@Geordie dan

I agree I think its Mancini Esq

• Rotonda heights

May 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

colo sus

M’biwa has a hello of a spring as well.

As someone else said we don’t ned a lumbering 6ft 7” defender if they are really slow and can’t turn a la Willo.

The only arial teams these days are Stoke who will of course be joined by Fat Sham’s anti football.

• TorqToon

May 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Height doesn’t necessarily reflect strength and ariel ability. Mbiwa (like has already been send) has a hell of a leap on him and after watching him play several times wins way more than his fair share in the air. Look at Tim Cahill….compared to somebody like kompany…he is small, yet he is one of the best headers of the ball in the EPL.

• Ketsbaia9

May 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I agree that we need to sign two quality centre backs. Vertonghen is a must signing. If we can’t get him then Aldereweild is our second choice. I’d also sign Mbiwa as he is an excellent defender.

• TorqToon

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM

@mattspiro: Montpellier capt Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa will consider signing one-year extension, despite interest from #THFC, say L’Equipe. Wants to play in CL

Hope this is just paper talk as would love this lad at the Toon!

• only magpie of nepal

May 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

If this is true and Spuds end up signing this lad. Lets hope he turns out to be another Mertesacker in the Premier League.

• GFH

May 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I’m thinking back to the time when kk said something similar ie it would be a few years until NUFC could compete at the top of the premier.He was summoned to London for a dressing down by Ashley.I suspect Pards is trying to manage expectations , but is it the fans expectations or Mike Ashleys? Perhaps he’s looking for more investment .
    Either way I don’t see Everton buying enough new talent to overtake us , and I’m not sure Liverpool will be spending too much either.Obviously Chelsea look to be prparing for a whole new wave of teambuilding and would want to see themselves higher in the prem next season , but I’m still quietly confident .All the teams who we are competing with also have to cope with extra games as well.