The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cisse – Didier Drogba Is My Hero – The Best Striker In The World

9:55 am, Sunday, May 27th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Papiss Cisse has talked today about his hero,  Didier Drogba of Chelsea,  and how important the Olympic games are for him this summer.

Didier Drogba - after scoring against Bayern Munich

Drogba has probably played his last game fort Chelsea - and what a way to end his career at the London club.

Chelsea looked dead and buried after Thomas Muller had put Bayern Munich ahead after 83 minutes, after the German club had dominated the game for long periods on their home pitch.

But nobody told Drogba the game was over, and after 88 minutes,  from Chelsea’s very first corner of the game, the Ivorian headed the ball into the net brilliantly past a dazed Manuel Neuer, as the speed of the header beat the German International goalkeeper.

Newcastle number 9 Papiss Cisse has told Senegal TV that Didier is his favorite player:

“Didier Drogba is my hero, he is the best striker in the world and he told me during the Chelsea match as he went off injured that every shot I take ends up in the back of the net. I spoke to him after the match. He is a really humble and great guy.”

“The Olympics is a very important competition, look at players like Ryan Giggs and David Beckham who have achieved such great things in their careers and want to win it.” “My concern is that I might take the place of a young player in the team.”

“I think that this would be hard, like if I was being replaced in the World Cup Squad. I think that the emphasis should be on young player enjoying the competition.”

“But if the management team want me to play I will be proud to do so”.

It’s fitting that Drogba is Cisse’s hero, because the Ivorian has been one of the world’s top strikers for the last 10 years.

And he scored both goals in Newcastle’s 2-0 loss at Marseilles back in May of 2004, in the second leg of the semi-final of the Europa League, when Bobby Robson was Newcastle’s manager, after the Magpies had drawn the first leg 0-0 at home, in front of  52,000 fans – a sell-out.

And the Ivory Coast striker seems completely different off the field than he is on it.

The word on Drogba is that’s he’s very modest and humble as a person, but you wouldn’t believe it the way he goes down all the time on the pitch, and often stops the game to have treatment for what looks to be minor knocks at best.

Is he trying to get more TV exposure?

But it’s a wonderful way to end his Chelsea career to head in the equalizer and then score the winning penalty to earn Chelsea their very first Champions League success.

They had a chance to win the European title against Manchester United back in  2008, when captain John Terry failed to score his penalty in the shoot-out, which would have won it for the London club.

And after their worst season in the Premier League for many a season, and the worst position since Roman Abramovich took over, they go on to win the Champions League.

You couldn’t make this stuff up, and don’t expect Roberto di Matteo to get the job full time, we think the Russian owner will tempt former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola back from his break in the summer with a bumper deal.

Tags: European Champions League · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Paps // May 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

First for the first time ever

• 2 BarcelonaMag // May 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I doubt if Pep Guardiola would be tempted by the money Chelsea could offer him. He just doesn’t seem that sort of man, and he must be very wealthy anyway. I think that he might go to the Premier League in the end but he’s definitely taking a year off first. He’s very clear on that on TV interviews here. By the way, am I first?

• 3 Shot Bru // May 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

My one prediction for the summer transfer window will be that Emmanuel Mayuka will replace the departing Ba.

• 4 Troleibusiukas_LTU // May 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Shot Bru, I really don’t think so.. If Ba leaves Luuk De Jong will come.. P.s What do you think about Bas Dost, Fat Sam is going to snap him on the cheap…

• 5 LewSpi // May 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I think Guardiola might go to Man U next summer. Fergie will strengthen greatly this year so that he can win the prem, then him scholes and giggs will all go together next summer, with Pep coming in.

• 6 SupaToonKid // May 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Saw on an earlier post that Marvin Martin is available for £6M. I know he said he wants to play in the Champions League but his agent is also Ben Arfa’s agent and with all the French contigent on Tyneside + the callibre of player and the potential of a top 4 challenge next season surely he would be tempted by the Pardew Project. At £6M this is a real steal of a bargain and I can see Martin fitting in so well with Tiote and Cabaye in the middle of the park as the 10 goal a season CM for us. Debuchy as well has the same agent so a double signing of them before the Euros would be unbelievable.

• 7 Shot Bru // May 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Troleibusiukas….I haven’t seen that much of Das Bost, seems like a natural goalscorer going on last seasons’ stats.

We already have a natural finisher in Cisse…he needs a smart little player like Mayuka to play off him.

It appears as though we have been scouting Mayuka for over a year which fits into the overall plan when it comes to signing players..check out their temparament and character…..he is highly regarded in southern africa and in europe…would be a fine signing at a reasonable price.

• 8 Cool Hand Luke // May 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM

this guys an absolute legend already! what humility!!

previous post: Newcastle Target Prefers North London Move

next post: Newcastle To Do Very Well In Europa League Next Season?