The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cisse – Newcastle Is A Big Club And Number 9 Is A Big Number

8:54 am, Sunday, May 27th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse has appeared on TV in Senegal and has talked about his amazing year at Newcastle when he scored 13 goals (unlucky for some) in just 14 appearances.

Cisse with manager Pardew - can we dance?

The new Newcastle number 9 was interviewed on Parlons Football on Senegalese TV channel TFM, and here is the translation from the French,  of what Papiss said on the program.

The 6′ tall striker started off by saying joining Newcastle was a huge opportunity for him, and that St. James’ Park is magnificent – that’s a good start:

“There was pressure but it was also a great opportunity, and so exciting.” “Frankly the stadium is magnificent and brilliant when the fans are there, everything one can dream of.”

“I had the opportunity to come on at half time against Aston Villa, there was another forward had been injured, the manager pulled me aside and the great Ameobi told me I was to come on. It was fantastic.”

“I found a brother, friend and team mate in Demba Ba who has really helped me.” “Apart from him the other French players have made me feel at home, even if I do not know them, I know their style of football.”

“We all learned the same style of football in France, and we have the same qualities as players.”  “Everyone has made me welcome here, and what is more I knew that Newcastle is a big club and that the shirt number I was given is number 9 – a big number.”

Cisse has that right that Newcastle are a big club with a wonderful history, and we have to hope the Senegal International can keep banging those goals in for Newcastle next season.

And we’ll wait and see if we can keep pushing for a top four place in the Premier League – we certainly hope so.

When September rolls  around we should also have a good idea just how much the Newcastle squad has been strengthened, by the quality of the new players brought in over the summer months.

And of course we’d love to keep Demba Ba on Tyneside, alongside his twin Senegal strike partner Papiss Cisse, so they can then terrorize opposing defenses next season.

Sounds good to us.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 jakesome // May 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Reading between the lines we have the most potent and down to earth striker in the league

• 2 Indian Magpie // May 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Match made in Heaven

Former West Ham star Tony Cottee wants the Hammers to sign Michael Owen on a free transfer, saying a proven Premier League goalscorer would be ideal for the top-flight newcomers while it would also excite the fans

• 3 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Michael Owen for West Ham!

Now what a laugh that would be!

• 4 Shot Bru // May 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Classic…Owen and Carlton Cole up front managed by Fat Sam….what dreams are made of.

• 5 lewytoon // May 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

great ameobi????

• 6 alip123 // May 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

“The Great Shola” – Even the French fear the mackem slayer

• 7 brighter // May 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yes ED ^^
    This two men can be dancing.But the manager look like aggressive act than CISSE.

• 8 PortsladeToon // May 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Owen to west ham might be a good idea, they have had some problems with thigh injuries in the last couple of seasons due to the seats being too cold.

• 9 GeordieoftheSouth // May 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I know I maybe biased but if I was Demba Ba, I wouldn’t want to leave – Loved by team, manager, fans – European football and gets to play alongside Senegalese best mate…grass isn’t always greener!

• 10 Beardo // May 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Shola ‘ The Great’ Ameobi.

Got a ring to it :)

• 11 saxonfenken // May 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

That lad is so refreshing, down to earth, always smiling (even having a goal disallowed for offside), and can appreciate what playing for the Toon means, No wonder he is liked by all. perhaps Shoala has taught the right things to say

• 12 Cool Hand Luke // May 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Sounds like a magician …

Tonight. presenting The great Ameobi.. watch him make mackem hopes and dreams dissappear in a poof of smoke

• 13 Cool Hand Luke // May 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

and on that note, i notice he dissappeared from the front page banner a while back. ive asked before and im asking again, Ed please right this wrong.

previous post: Ben Arfa And Cabaye Start For France Against Iceland