Newcastle Target Prefers North London Move

Ajax center-back Jan Vertonghen wants Tottenham to complete his move to the north London club quickly.

Jan Vertonghen – wants Tottenham move finalized

The Belgium international is close to a move,  after Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy has been negotiating with his club Ajax in Amsterdam last week.

But Jan is not happy that things are taking so long, and it looks like Tottenham are balking at the £12M fee being asked by the Dutch club, for a player who has just one year left on his contract.

The is what a frustrated Vertonghen said today in the Dutch press:

“I’ve said repeatedly that Tottenham are my first choice, but the talks haven’t progressed.” “They have shown me around, I have met all their key people and their chairman came to meet me on Monday.”

“But Arsenal want me too. They remain a possibility if my Spurs move falls through, as Ajax are asking £12M for me.” “That is a lot of money for someone with just a year left on his contract.”

“I’m sure Spurs won’t be able to pay that much after they missed out on the Champions League.” “Ajax want to get as much as they can for me, while Spurs want to pay as little as possible.”

“I hope a deal can be done. But I won’t fight with Ajax – that is the last thing I’d want after so many good years with them.” “England is my preferred destination. But if needed I will see out my contract and leave on a free transfer next year.”

It’s a little dangerous for the Belgium International to come out and say Tottenham are his first choice,  because what if Tottenham cannot afford him,  and he finally moves to the Emirates club?

Everybody will know the Gunners were not his first choice, and that’s not good – but at least Jan is being truthful about things.

But it seems Newcastle are not in the chase for this center-back at all, and it’s interesting he’s willing to move to Spurs, who are now only in the Europa League next season, along with Newcastle and Liverpool.

We’re not sure it’s that big of  a deal for top players to want to play in Champions League, and here’s one willing to go tho the club of his choice,  even though they have been dropped into the Europa League because  of Chelsea’s win in the Champions League last weekend.

Of course whether Tottenham now have the money to sign him is a good question.

But we can cross Jan Vertonghen off our list of center-back targets for Newcastle, because he’s not coming, and the transfer fee being asked by Ajax is a little ridiculous,  for a player who can move for nothing in twelve months time.

Jan could also get a bumper deal next summer, since no transfer fee will be involved, as Jan is already 25 years old,  so no compensation needs to be paid.

• OoAhDembaBa

May 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Flamini on a free

• Indian Magpie

May 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I am not sure if he was ever a target, smoke and mirrors

• GeordieoftheSouth

May 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM

way too expensive for Ashley’s policy…hope the Yids miss out on him.

• Ben3arfa

May 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM

12m for a centre half is more than what we spent on collocini and i believe he is our most expensive defensive signing ever (10m)?

• ilovetoon8788

May 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

he was never our target really. 12 million for a defender is alot. but that lad is pure quality. he’ll shine at spurs or arsenal. good luck to him.

guess our transfers will continue after Euros.

• Jail for Ashley

May 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Sounds like his brains are in his feet,why would you choose Spurs over Arsenal unless for the money,and publicy admitting it gets him on to a non starter with them gooners.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Still waiting to see who Martin Jol is going to sign for Fulham!

Dempsey i think is Arsenal bound! Also Andy Johnson is a QPR target!

Vertjongen was a Media invented target for us and it is very doubtful if we ever would have got him! 12Mil is just not a realistisch fee! Not with just one year left on his contract!

Still being patient, and awaiting news about just who we are going for?

• Solaidback

May 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM

He’s way too young for Floppygobs team, I mean he only buy players who’re over the hill & crocked… lol

Nevere was a Toon target, he’s just smoke screen for our real target who this gadgie team mate, the 23yrold, can’t remember his name tho….

Plus, who wants a player who can’t keep his gob shut about who he wants to play for, na, not worth 12m imo..

• Ketsbaia9

May 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I believe we’d pay £12m to secure his services. He was Alan’s top target. He’s admitted that he needs a goalscoring defender. If he does go to Spurs, we need to go for Aldereweild and Mbiwa. If we were based in London, Vertonghen would probably sign for us.

• gfp13

May 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM

If he doesn’t wanna sign fof us so be it. Don’t want anyone playing for us who’d rather be somewhere else. He’s a good player but there’s plenty of players out there who can do his job just as well as him or even better. His cb partner for example Toby (not gonna attempt the spelling).

Who would others like to see brought in rather than this lad?