Newcastle Linked With South Korean International Winger

Bolton winger Chung-Yong Lee has somehow been linked with Newcastle United today.

Chung-Yong Lee – Newcastle interested?

As far as we know Newcastle have not been linked with this player before, but there’s news in the Bolton News suggesting Newcastle are after the player.

The 40 times capped South Korean International winger has been at Bolton since the summer of 2009, when he joined the Trotters from FC Seoul for £2.2M.

The South Korean is going on vacation, and when he returns he is expected to make a decision as to whether he will stay at Bolton, who were relegated to the Championship earlier this month.

During a pre-season friendly against Newport County in July of last year, Lee suffered a broken leg,  and in early May he finally returned to action, as a second half substitute in Bolton’s 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion.

Newcastle United and Turkey’s Trabzonspor are said to be clubs interested in the player, who had this to say to the Bolton News:

“I haven’t thought about my future yet.”  “The season has just finished and I just want to take some holiday now. I’m not going to hurry to think about my future because we have a few months before next season, but I can say now that I am a Bolton Wanderers player.”

“I couldn’t imagine that we are going down to the Championship. And I didn’t expect that when we started the season.”  “But it has happened. It could be much better if we stayed in the Premier League.”

“But I couldn’t do anything because I was injured.”  “I’m fully fit now, but I will keep training for next season.”  “On our last day of the season the manager said we have many young, talented players and we can give a good performance in the Championship, so we can come back into the Premier League next season.”

Chung-Yong Lee plays on the right wing, and Newcastle seem to be well covered there with Ben Arfa, Gabby Obertan, Ryan Taylor and Sammy Ameobi, who can all play in that position.

And as we said earlier, this is the first time we are aware of Newscastle  being linked with the player, who has played 78 times for Bolton over the last three seasons with 9 goals and 16 assists.

What do you think?

• ToonDownSouth

May 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I’m sure we could do with selling a few shirts out there.

• toonincheek

May 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Good career move for the winger !

• Indian Magpie

May 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

is he french 😆

• lesh

May 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Aye Toon, by the looks of our international image and future marketing, we could… in fact anywhere!

Expect it’s warm where you are and as hot as a bin-dipper’s crack pipe on Giro day

• Beattie25

May 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Take away his ability to break into the Korean Market and this guy is still a very very good player!

He could be deployed on the LW and with 16 assists in 2 seasons at a struggling Bolton he could be a steal.

• SupaToonKid

May 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Don’t need an out and out winger; we do need though a forward like Junior Hoilett or Wilfried Zaha who has the ability to play as a CF or out wide.

If we want to strengthen our fan base in Asia we should sign Heung-Min Son from Hamburg as he is a top quality player at 19 years old and he can play out on the wing or straight up top.

• rainrix

May 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I’d take him. Tidy little player and international veteran at only 23! I doubt bolton would have gone down if he hadn’t been injured all season.

• Beattie25

May 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

• Toonboy_84

May 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

This lad has always impressed me. Good work rate and good amount of assists. Will put is on the map in south Korea. Win win really. Remember last season he gave Enrique a nightmare?

• Dannyo

May 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

We’d be stupid not to attempt both Hoilett and Barnetta first.
    Both free.
    This lad is a good signing in more ways than one tho.
    We need an RW. I dont rate Raylor and Obertan…

Well, if HBA can improve on his decisionmaking, then there is a chance for Gabs too.

• Robson Wonderland

May 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Very good player, assuming he’s the same after his injury. Seems we are trying to capitalise on players who have had long term injuries or injury doubts which have depressed their market values eg Ben Arfa, Gosling, Ba

• graham cwarr

May 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Him and marveaux battling fir the lw spot. Throw in ba too. Competition for places. Avety good thing. And squad depth fir Europe. All good.

• Scottiedog

May 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I think we can all forget about Hoilett tbh?? This South Korean guy is a great player that could have potentially changed Bolton’s season and saved them from the drop if he had not broken his leg!!!

• gonz

May 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

JFA,

Just to clear something I had written on an earlier post which seemed to cause a debate about supporting England. First of all I’m not English. If I were then I would support them no matter what.
    Being that I’m not English is why I said I’ll be supporting the Newcastle players and the French team.
    Not everybody who supports Newcastle or reads this blog is English.

As far as England goes, Hodgson has made some terrible choices. Downing/Kelly/Carroll/Terry just aren’t good enough IMO. For me it should have been Sinclair/Sturridge/Richards/Ferdinand

• jesperfuglsang

May 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

England has not been fun to watch since Shearer retired; there has been glimses nothing more.

In my book they play dinosure football and refuses to move forward.

And it seems no matter who manages the team the British FA finds someway to ruin it.

• JDdubai

May 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Pleeeeeeease

Obertan and Raylor challenging for the right wing spot, neither are good enough there lets face it, especailly in the 4-3-3. Simply having crap players who play in a position doesnt mean we shouldnt be looking to get in better and sell them, maybe not Raylor as he is a decent utility player but Obertan can go.

Also I dont think Sammy is ready for first team yet, needs a loan deal at the beginning of the season, just 3 months or so to get used to playing week in, week out.

• Robby Bobson

May 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Bolton certainly wouldnt have bene relegated with him and Holden…both very tidy players and would not be sad to see either of them in a toon shirt.

• thepict

May 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Would be a very good edition to the squad.