More French Players To Arrive On Tyneside This Summer

It will hardly been surprising if Newcastle sign even more players from France this summer.

Mathieu Debuchy – on his way to Newcastle

The first acquisition is a relatively unknown Frenchman – 22 year-old midfielder Romain Amalfitano from second division Reims – but he looks a very decent player, who seems ambitious,  and could come on big time at Newcastle.

Newcastle are a lauded club in France, and even more so this summer after having a terrific season last term, when we finished 5th top of the Premier League and players like Yohan Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Demba Ba starred.

Ba was born in Paris,  France although he has elected to play International football for Senegal. And players like Gabby Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux showed they are promising players with lots of skills.

Newcastle are likely to bring more Frenchman into the club this summer, and why not, with the French players not only being good players but excellent professionals too, and they have been no bother at all – and that includes our supposed bad bay – Ben Arfa.

One player we have a sneaking suspicion we may be well along the road to signing, is Lille right back Mathieu Debuchy. We hope we are well along the road to signing.

And Mathieu would be an excellent acquisition for Newcastle, and whether Danny Simpson stays or goes, would quite probably be the starting right-back for Newcastle next season,  if he signs.

Debuchy will represent France in that position in the Euro 2012 Championships, and it seems that we could even sign him before the Championships star when France plays England on June 11th.

Both Turkish clubs Galatasaray and Fenerbahce are said to be interested in Mathieu, who is priced around £6.5M, but we think that would be good value for the French International, who would apparently love to join his best pal Yohan Cabaye on Tyenside.

And surely Newcastle are a much more attractive club to join than those clubs in Turkey, with a large and growing contingent of very good French players at Newcastle.

It would be great if  the Tyneside club can announce the signing of Debuchy before the European Championships begin, and then we’ll have three French players to watch participating in Europe this summer.

And France could even win the whole thing,  given that. 😀

• bambams

May 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Would love to see this Debauchy sign, looks the part and will settle in very well

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

1st

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Do we have lots of French players then?

• Beattie25

May 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Debuchy is a must for me.

To see how he and Benny linked for France was amazing considering it was their first game together. Imagine that developing over a season.

Anyway back to what I was moaning about with regards to transfers. I just think that if we wait until after the Euros we will be left with slim pickings. I thought the directors, management and coaching staff would be wise to it and try to do the deals from Janurary onwards.

Oh well time will tell and I’ll have to wait and wait and wait…

• SupaToonKid

May 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

If we sign Debuchy and Cristian Zapata our defence will be much sounder than it was last year. And everybody his name is Mathieu DEBUCHY not Debauchy or Debouchy.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Beattie….what’s happened in the last 24 hours? Yesterday you were part of an optimistic duo and today you’re writing off the transfer market, which hasn’t opened yet. Be strong mate

• jakesome

May 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Papiss that’s what you get for making stupid/pointless comments
    Anyone know if matieu speaks English?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

SupaToon…Is it not DeDoucheY?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Jake…Are you worried that the few English players we have left wont have anyone to talk to in the team?

• jakesome

May 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

exactly mate

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Woah jakesome, I don’t usually do it, just determined to beat indian magpie to it for a change.

Debuchy would be a great signing, would be a shame to see simmo go but wouldn’t mind him as back up.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

As you can probably tell…I’m in a serious posting mood. Expect lots of enlightened, thought provoking comments throughout the day. Enjoy 🙂

• jakesome

May 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

What’s the rule about homegrown players is it 8 over 21 or all together

• bambams

May 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

supertoonkid, Debuchy…Thanks for that. Never realised i had been spelling it wrongly.

• jakesome

May 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I did 1st once and actually got it then got ripped to shreds so……..

• Wandering Geordie

May 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Morning all from Lima Peru…I watched Debuchy at the weekend for France V Iceland…He I was impressed by his reading of the game.If we got him who would walk staright into team and improve the back four.

Ben Arfa had a good first half and Cabaye did what he did….I think France will beat England at the Euros

• Indian Magpie

May 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Papiss on indian Parade 😆

• Wandering Geordie

May 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

he would …sorry its 4in the morning here..spelling is not so good

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Jakesome, I suppose we have both learnt our lesson.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I got first once, but found it lonely at the top. It’s a dog eat dog world up there.

• Toonboy_84

May 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

@wandering

Agreed on both points

• Toonboy_84

May 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I got first once and ran round my garden with my t shirt over my head. Good times!

• Indian Magpie

May 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Wandering Geordie = is Peru not in an emergency state, still you are here.

sorry had to have dig, apologies :mrgreen:

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Ibizatoon, I’m still waiting for my 1st 1st.

• LewSpi

May 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Morning all..

Posted this earlier without realising there was more articles.

My list is getting intimidating now, and I know for a fact I’ve missed one or two, no doubt Ed’s is much bigger.

This is from Feb 1st..

Son Heung-Min
    Raul
    Branimir Hrgota
    Kevin Gameiro

• Indian Magpie

May 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Holy Crap Thats a long list.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Papiss….Well don’t give up the good fight. It may be a long road. But when you get there, my god. Just read ToonBoys post. The glory in unbelievable.

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Lewspi,there should be no problems in affording all of them.

Come on big mike!

• Toonboy_84

May 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Lewspi

You seem to have a lot of time on ya hands to do a list like that.

• Phatoon

May 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

@jake

Home grown rule:

Name a squad of 25 players 21 (years old) or above, 8 of which must be Home Grown.

You can have unlimited under 21s of any nationality .

If you can’t name 8 home grown players you can just leave a gap in the squad. EG if you onnly have 5 home grown players, you can only have 22 players in your squad + under 21s.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

LewSpi…Please tell me that’s a list of people we’ve been linked with and not your summer wish list, as if it’s the latter, I fell you may be disappointed this year 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Or feel. Either or 😉

• jesperfuglsang

May 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Repost

I asked a few days ago whether or not sabermetrics could be applied to football or not. I propose to some extend it could, the only problem is that we don’t have much stats in football like in baseball and that football is not an individual sport but a team sport. Some stats are available though and since we cannot compete with the likes of Citeh and Chelsea when it comes to spending money we need to come up with something else.

I don’t like Newcastle being a feeder club for the big and rich clubs.

Sabermetrics for a good defender:

Find the cheapest available who can get us 6 goals a season, 40 games and keep the ball far away from Krul.

Sabermetrics for a midfielder:

Find the cheapest available who either has a passing percentage or tackling percentage, 10 goals a season, 40 games a season

You could apply that to any other position. That is what I think we should be doing. It is our only shot if we want to compete with the top.

Any thoughts?

• Toonboy_84

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yes ibiza. The glory shall forever live in my heart and I shall make sure the story is told by generatios of the future for eternity.

• jesperfuglsang

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Should say high passing percentage or tackling percentage 😉

• Beattie25

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ibiza

I am still optimistic but I need to vent my splien every so often or I will fall into the black hole.

I remain positive that we will sign the players but aware and worried that we may not and that the whole summer will be a theatre of perspective signings with a final act of disappointment.

I just don’t want to see Willo playing in the PL as our first choice again

• papiss_on_your_parade

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ibizatoon, thanks for the advice. There’s a long journey ahead of me now I know that, but I can see the light. It’s only a matter of time.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Phatoon….Well said, but it doesn’t give us much room to argue about the “homegrown” rules.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

May 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Beattie….Good idea. Don’t want to be drifting off into the abyss of the black hole.

Toonboy…Perhaps one day, they’ll make a film out of your magic moment?

Papiss…You follow that light. I hear Indian is holding seminars in posting first, if you recommend a friend you get a 10% discount! Bargain if I ever saw one.

• bambams

May 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

papiss on your parade….sorry mate for first comment. I have just come back in from running around in the garden ………….Its a first for me!

Back to serious stuff…..I genuinely believe we will be quite close to ‘over the line’ for both Debuchy and Douglass. After those two its anyones guess.

Time will tell…..