Chris Hughton – Simply The Salt Of The Earth

It’s hard to know if there is a better person in football than Newcastle’s former manager Chris Hughton.

Chris Hughton – while at Newcastle

And Chris reminded us a lot of Bobby Robson, for the way he handled the press and how everybody around him admired the Londoner, and what a gentleman he was.

And it’s hardly surprising that  Chris held Sir Bobby Robson in great esteem.

Both men were real gentlemen in the often ruthless world f football, and both were harshly and surprisingly sacked by the club, which is another similarity the two shared at Newcastle.

Mark Douglas,  in the Newcastle Journal,  has interviewed Chris today, and this is what our former manager had to say:

“Bitterness? I have never felt that about what happened,” “I don’t think that way and I don’t harbor grudges towards anyone at the club. If I am absolutely honest I don’t look at the club now and think ‘What if?’”

“What is normal when you lose your job is that it’s very tough for a while. You watch games but you want to be working.”  “But I wanted to look forward from the moment it changed and I lost my job.”

“Now I don’t look at Newcastle and wish them any ill feeling whatsoever. I’m absolutely delighted at what Alan Pardew has done and I’m delighted Newcastle are there.”  “For the fans who were very good to me, it’s great they’ve had success.”

“And there are still players there who were there with me when I was there and I am really glad they are doing well.”  “The likes of James Perch, of course – and Leon Best and Danny Simpson and Mike Williamson. It’s fantastic to see them part of everything that is happening because we knew what good players they were.”

“Then of course the club has recruited very well. I really like Yohan Cabaye and Hatem (Ben Arfa) is showing what a fantastic talent he is.”  “I have not been back to Newcastle since it happened,” “It hasn’t been because I haven’t wanted to.”

“I just haven’t got round to it yet but I think now, what I would really like is to lead a team out at St James’ Park. That would be a fantastic occasion.”  “Of course I would like to say a proper goodbye but football doesn’t always work like that.”

“If it happens one day, of course I would really be looking forward to it. I think it would be a very proud moment for me. It would have been fantastic if it had happened for us at Birmingham.”  “All of my memories of Newcastle are very fond ones although I have always been honest enough when people talk to me about it to point out that I was part of the coaching staff that got the club relegated.”

“Luckily I left with a good record and what I felt was nothing to really prove. But what really pleased me was doing it for the people up there, who live and breathe their football.”  “Wherever I am in the world, I still get Newcastle fans coming up to me and thanking me for the promotion season which is so nice.”

“It is an incredible support and a really, really lovely part of the world. I would love to see them go from strength-to-strength.”

Chris Hughton is greatly admired by Newcastle fans the world over, not just because of the magnificent job he did for the club when it was really needed, but also because of who he is, as a person.

He’s one of the real gentlemen of football,  and even after he was ruthlessly sacked by the Newcastle Board, he hasn’t had one bad thing to say about Newcastle United.

It’s people like Chris Hughton who are the salt of this earth, and they deserve to be successful in life.

We look forward to welcoming Chris Hughton back to Newcastle, which will be some occasion indeed.

• FatmanJoe

May 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

And roeder. Another true gentleman and good servant of the club.

• Dannyo

May 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It’s great what Hughton did for us, and i think he’s done almost supernaturally well at Birmingham after losing 15 players when relegated.
    MA has, imo, made the right call at the time, that has been shown.
    However, we will never know if Hughton could’ve done the same.
    At the same time, Hughton brought Perch, Simmo, Best, etc, players who were good in the championship, and not so good in the PL.

AP leads the revolution on.

• Indian Magpie

May 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Salt of the earth, is it the same as rock salt

• Indian Magpie

May 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

ROMAIN Amalfitano says that the love of the Newcastle United fans for their French connection convinced him to turn down Champions League football to make his Tyneside switch.

The former Reims man was chased by St Etienne, Nice and Lille in Ligue 1, while big-spending Malaga and Sevilla were also keen to take him to Spain before Newcastle made their move

• JAMSHA

May 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

nxt season i think our 1st match will be with man city or chelsea?

• Lee Dodd

May 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Chris Will Come to St James in 2013/2014 when he gets Birmingham back in The Premier League and Get The Respect That Bobby Would Have Got as He is a True Honest Guy … Just a Shame Birmingham missed out earlier this Month..

• MonsterMagnet

May 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Class act. Deserved a whole lot better from MA and DL. I’d love to get Birmingham at home in a cup this season. He’d get such a massive cheer.

• seantoon

May 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I believe come the end of the new season
    Amalfitano, Marveaux will both be worth 10mill each at least. And to think we got the both for free. Carr is a money making machine the guys a legend

• seebeebelgium

May 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I really hope Hughton will have a fantastic career, he did some great things at Newcastle, building the foundations for their current accomplishments. And if he is successful enough, maybe one day he can return to Newcastle as manager, I know I wouldn’t mind.

• check the toastie

May 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Remember when he was appointed manager and i couldnt believe it, totally lacked any ambition at the time, however Hughton carried himself with class and grace, well done Chris for the job you did in bringing us up, hope you are a success for the rest of your career.

One Nice Guy.

• XtraTimeAndPens

May 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

What a genuine bloke. I don’t think we can really underplay what he did at NUFC when we were in the Championship by getting the squad to pull in the right direction and win us automatic promotion. It would have been all to easy to get bogged down with egos and life in the Championship and end up wallowing down there for season after season. I think it’s fair to say that without Hughton’s tenure, we probably wouldn’t be in the position we are today and playing European football two seasons after being promoted.

• toonincheek

May 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I look forward to the day when Chris H returns and
    gets a FANTASTIC reception at St. James Park