Is This Danish Center-Back The Answer For Newcastle?

Simon Kjaer is a Danish center-back, who has played for Danish club Midtjylland, Italian club Palermo and Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, and spent last season on loan at Roma in Italy.

Simon Kjaer – Danish International center-back

Two years ago this 6’2″ defender who was born in Horsens, Denmark, has played for all the Danish Youth sides and 22 times for the full National side, was in high demand.

The player turned 23 last March , and interested clubs included Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, Italian side Juventus and then Bundesliga Champions Wolfsburg.

Steve McClaren at Wolfburg finally paid £10M for the player, and in the next season he played 34 times with one goals for the German side.

In February of 2011, Felix Magath returned to Wolfsburg as manager after the former English coach was fired, and in his second season at Wolfsburg, Kjær made three appearances.

It seems that Kjaer fell out with Magath,  and last August he was sent out on a season long loan deal to Roma, but has played only 14 times for the Italian club this season.

Roma have an option to buy him this summer, but it looks like they will not take that option up, and we wonder if Newcastle would be interested, if they can get this player for a small transfer fee.

He has been unsettled over the last two season, and maybe if he was given a chance at Newcastle, he would be able to reproduce the excellent form which had some top clubs after him only a couple of years ago.

It would be a risk for Newcastle unless the transfer fee was really low, but maybe they could also take him on loan and then see how he does on Tyneside.

You wonder why a player who looked so good when he was 21, has slipped over the last two years.

Often it’s a case of lacking confidence and not being settled, and we’ve seen from the Ben Arfa case,  how once players are settled in on Tyneside, Alan Pardew can bring out the best in players – so it may be worth a try.

But we should stress there has been no link between the player and Newcastle, that we have seen.

What do you think?

• toon_army_redlichtie85

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Love this defender sign him up!

• Transfer Sage

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I can reveal that Newcastle will sign Mathieu Debuchy before the start of the Euros.

Newcastle only wish to spend £6million as reported above but Lille want more than that as they want to gamble he will have a good tournament and be sold for £10million.

Newcastle will bid 8million by Monday evening and the signing will be complete by Thursday.

I have spoken.

• geordiejamie89

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

He looks like a player with good potential, and perhaps with Steven Taylor fit for the start of next season, he could be introduced slowly. However I doubt the club will want to let the player go for such a low price for Newcastle to be able to afford. I’d rather steal Vertonghen from Spurs before he signs to be honest, although I don’t see that happening either.

• niafron

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM

We need a LB not a RB. So you’ll have to pay 15 millions for the both.

No way.

For me, this Debuchy story is a Decoy.

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’d like the numbers for the Lottery now, Mr Sage.
    Like most people here, I’m going to wait till its a done deal before getting my hopes up. So many times we have been in this situation expecting to have a player then ‘last moment’ something happens and they join another club.

Gameiro, Gervinho, Modric to name a few….

On the subject of this lad, it all really depends on the asking price. I’m sure that Wolfsburg will want to recuperate as much of that 10million Euro’s as possible.
    Personally never heard of or seen this lad before…

• Transfer Sage

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I have a connection in the club …..if I knew the lottery numbers I would win every week and use the money to buy Newcastle.

• DoctorZelig

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I am from Denmark and can say that Simon Kjaer has huge potential but I think he makes to many mistakes. He could potentially be a world class center back but for Wolfsburg and Roma he made a ton of mistakes like own goals, red cards and just plain poor choices.

Find another player.

• toon_army_redlichtie85

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Who told you this transfer sage ??

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Personally I don’t think it’s all the neccesary for us to be going after such Highly valued CB’s costing 7mill+. With Saylor hopefully back to full fitness, we will have 3 center backs. I’d be happy if we signed some youngster valued between 2-5mill and slowly introduce them into the team.

Our priority is RB/LB depending on where Pardew plans on playing Santon next season, followed by a CB (doesn;t have to be someone as high profiled as Vertonghen) and a replacement for BA if he leaves/a 3rd striker with potential. Anything else is a bonus.

• danishmag

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

being danish, i think i can tell you all..
    He is pure shite!
    Even Willo is better..
    There are 3-4 better CB´s from denmark.. in a years time, he is not an international anymore!
    he sucks big time!!!

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM

We stole Marveaux from Liverpool, so why can’t we steal Vertonghen from Tottenham. We desperately need Jan in our team. Spurs are in decline.

• duncandisorderly

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Come on guys, Saylor will never be a reliable choice – he’s a sick note and always will be. Get him fit, get him replaced and get him sold – just business sense, sadly…

• jesperfuglsang

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I concur with DoctorZelig for the exact same reason; but if we could take him on the cheap I would say he could be a gamble I would take.

…and for that reason I must say i disagree with danishmag; there is by no means 3-4 better centerback’s in Denmark, nor with a lager potential or current ability.

Kjær lacks confidence and he makes too many silly mistakes. I think you could rid him of that.

• JamesP32

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Here we go, someone has already started to make up stories, and they always have this “connection” to the club, funny thing is though 9/10 times they’re wrong. So I won’t hold my breath.