Newcastle In Talks With African Central Midfielder

West Bromwhich midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu ha said he has been in talks with Newcastle United.

Youssouf Mulumbu – Newcastle in talks with this player

Mulumbu was born in Kinshasa, Zaire and has played 12 times for the DR Congo and joined French club  PSG back in 2004.

Mulumbu joined West Brom on loan in January of 2009, and then signed full terms for the Midlands club in the summer of the same year,  for a fee of  £175K.

The African player’s contract has another two years to run at West Brom, but it seems the lad wants away to a bigger club, and we will not have any trouble with him going away on International duty,  since he retired from International football in September of last year, based on family reasons.

Mulumbu spilled the beans when he had this to say to Mercato365:

“We have already started talking to teams like Newcastle and Tottenham. For now, I’m leaving it all in the hands of my agent and I hope to have good surprises on my return from vacation.”

“Last year, I thought it would be a little premature to go because it was my first full season. But I confirmed my promise this season. I continued to show all my abilities and I think I now have to look for another challenge.”

“That’s why I hope to join a club in another class. I had a good year, I’m pretty confident and I will leave it now to my agent. I’m going to go on holiday and come back stronger because I know that another big season ahead.”

Newcastle may be wanting to bring in another defensive midfielder simply because we have lost both Alan Smith and Danny Guthrie this summer, or else Mulumbu is the favored back-up,  in case Cheick Tiote is whisked away by some bigger club who come in and bids an astronomical fee for him.

But we’d like to see Newcastle build up their squad in all positions,  so Newcastle will have more strength in depth for next season, so we think  Mulumbu would be a decent buy for Newcastle at the right price.

Maybe £3M for this player or less, would be money well spent by Newcastle, whether or not Cheick Tiote leaves Newcastle this summer.

From our reckoning,  Mulumbu has played a total of 123 games for West Brom with 10 goals, and looks a very decent player.

What do you think?

• toonthompson

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Cisse missed a penalty for Senegal but they won 3-1

• papattack

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM

sign him up, him and tiote with cabaye in front would be a sweet midfield!

• GeordieToon89

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Wonder how much he’ll cost couldnt be too much surely.. a dont really want him tbf but if we sign him then weve signed a beast.. he’s also stated somewhere that he wont play for his country again until the countries mess is sorted out and the national organisation is improved

• SupaToonKid

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Mulumbu is a very good player but having him and Tiote would be ridiculous as what is the point of having two ACON players vying for the same position if we need a CDM to cover/compete with Tiote (personally i think we need a goal scoring CM more than a CDM) he should be younger and not in the ACON. The lad from Coventry: Gael Birigrama looks not a bad buy for that position as he plays for a really bad African country who don’t ever get into ACON + is a real quality young player and looks like Tiote!

• SupaToonKid

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Oh shit i didn’t even read the article. He’s retired from International football for family reasons. If that is the case then sign him up cause at £3M he is a bargain. Mulumbu and Tiote in the centre would be destructive and allow Cabaye to be lethal on the attack. When Tiote is at the ACON then Mulumbu could just boss that position on his own with more help from Cabaye and then we could let loose Vuckic or Amalfitano or any other young CAM we get.

• GeordieToon89

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Must say I never knew that about Ba’s activation clause only being available to Champions League teams.. all the others have to pay full price

• papattack

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

supatoonkid,

play with two cdm’s and play them both, i think it would suit us massively. 4-2-3-1

krul
    simspon? colo s.taylor santon
    mulumbu tiote
    ben arfa cabaye jonas
    cisse
    (assuming none of the above left)

we’d get so much more out of cabaye in the playmaker role, and cisse and ba can swap throughout the season.

• papattack

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM

simpson*

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:07 PM

@GT89
    Also the clause is gone 1st of august.

• GeordieToon89

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Having Tiote and Mulumbu in the CDM positions would destroy teams especially away from home when we can just play the counter.. have those two would certainly free up Cabaye who a think is more than capable of getting 10 goals and Ben Arfa who can easily get 10+ just need to sort the other side out:

—————Krul
    Debuchy-Taylor-Colo-Santon
    ———-Tiote–Mulumbu
    Ben Arfa–Cabaye–Marveaux
    —————Cisse

• GeordieToon89

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM

that team will cost less than £10million… all we need then is a CB who is young but experienced enough to be able to play under pressure when Taylor gets injured also sign Clyne and get a few others in like Brahimi/Butterfield players like that all young with massive potential and also cheap

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM

GT89
    Wheres that news about Ba’s contract coming from?

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Being linked with all these midfielders, AP must have some sort of plan up his sleeve for next season? More 4-3-3 or 4-5-1?
    I think he’ll move on from 4-4-2 personally.

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

WWYCD
    Papers ofc 😉 The CL think was said when the clause came up in the media, that it lasts only until 31st of July came us this week.

It’s only speculation mate, but what can u do, it’s silly season 😉
    What u reckon on Mulumbu?
    Personally i know nada about him.
    Lol, hell, i thought it was the Bolton lad for a sec, lol.

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Danny’s right
    The release clause has a 2 month window…for some reason?

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Seeing how Guthrie looks like he’s going in the opposite direction, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Baggies prefer us to Spurs.

• Gateshead-Mag

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM

if its true hes retired from international football could be an excellent addition to the squad, good quality replacement for guthrie

definately need some quality/squad players that are english imo, love having a great team but deffo want to retain an english core. adam johnson would be the quality 1 we all know about we all know you pay more for established english players so youngish or from a lower league would be ideal for me…….obviously theyd have to be good enough

opinions??

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Dannyo
    Haha ah right fair one thats new to me though…cracking if true though 😉
    Mulumbu….I dont think that much about him tbh haha barely paid attention to him but West Brom arent a easy team to beat and surely that must have something to do with this bloke? Well they do have a good keeper but their back 4 arent anything to brag about

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Gateshead-Mag
    I completely agree though on Johnson I dont think we will get him and he is pretty lazy on the pitch

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

@Gatesheadmag
    I think we just need to focus on developing english talent, rather than bet on the established ones.
    Such as Clyne. Future england star. Unless other players are free or on one year contracts, i don’t see us getting one as they are stupidly overpriced.
    Developing english talent is the future for nufc mate, atleast imo.

• Sazzer

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I thought Mulumbu would be a lot more expensive then this since he play in the Premier League. But yeah he’s a quality DM for sure. Prefer him over Mark Davis.

• SupaToonKid

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I really hope we sign Mulumbu as at £3M such a bargain. As well bring in Debuchy for £6.5M, Hoilett on a free, Heung Min-Son or Wilfried Zaha for £7M and also Zapata for £5M then we’ll be the real deal next season.

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM

WWYCD
    Ah well, who knows. We need another player with vision and passing range. Does Mulumbu have that? As DM one tends to be the one with most passes in a game.
    Tiote usually takes that home when he plays.
    Will we only be relying Cabaye to be the playmaker? Not enough imo.
    Also, with another DM, are we looking to controll games or break up others?

• Eyeball81

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

To be fair I cant see this happening…old Mike normally likes his transfer targets to sign a confidentiality agreement to stop them releasing such info…to stop other teams hijacking the bid…thats what Im led to believe anyway

• Gateshead-Mag

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

dannyo

aye thats what a mean mate the only established 1 id go for would be johnson because of the situation i reckon we could get him cheapish

wwycd

reckon he could be another hba with workrate and that the toon/pardew could bring out the best, we all know the lads got talent and after all he is a toon fan….who can blame him haha

• GeordieoftheSouth

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When ever I have watched this guy, he hasn’t impressed at all but if Graham Carr likes the look of him, whom am I to disagree!

Hopefully we will see alot more of Vukic and Abeid next season anyways.

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Dannyo
    I honestly dont know mate haha I’d imagine he is West Broms Tiote but I cant give any more infomation than that

And Id imagine if we are after him he would be cover/starter when we are against Liverpool or above type teams with Cabs being box to box playmaker I hope someone like that Brahimi would also come in to add a bit of attacking spark to take some pressure off Cabs though.

Gateshead-Mag
    Aye true that could work but I dont know enough about Johnson to be able to take a educated guess on how he would react to not being a sure starter. I agree he is a great player on his day and I’d love to see him with us….reckon price would be a stumbling block

• TimKrulFan

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

How old is he??

• ToonAndy

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Who else thinks we should go all out for Kagawa? Dortmund got him for 750k… He’ll go for around 8 million this summer…. One of the brightest young talents in the world…. We could offer him first team football week on and out… Also japanese which will increase newcastles fan base enormously is we have their brightest young talent… The kind of mike Ashley business…. The only way we could get him is by guarantee him first team football which in all fairness so could man u he is that good!…

Pinch me …

• papattack

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM

hes 25

• Sazzer

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM

To get the best young English players wanting to play for Newcastle without us paying them more then the other top clubs, our team must first become Top 6 regular team based on cheap foreign talent. Having English players play just because they are English or buying expensive ones will never get us to the CL money that can make us the status and the income to support a 7-20 m £ Top English talent that are better or as good as the English players.

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

@WWYCD
    Would be great to have proper flair on the pitch and on the bench next season. I like players like Guthrie, Gosling, etc.
    But i want 1-2 more players in the Hba mold if u will, gamechangers.
    Hungry players that WANT to score and want to create.
    Altho the bench was better this year than last season, it was still very dull, and “solid”.
    Lets get a bit more entertainery this year.

• papattack

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

toonandy i agree united get major revenue from asia because of ji sung park. would do us good to have a player who would do the same for us.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Is my blog working yet

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

@Sazzer
    We need to do to the young englishmen, what we have done to the french.
    Buy em for a period, make sure they’ll be successfull at this club, atleast for the majority of them.
    It’ll help them think they can really establish here and make a name for themselfes.
    And europe helps 🙂

• MagPieMan

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

SupaToonKid

The only player I don’t agree with in that list is Wilfred zaha, especially at £7 million. Extremely overrated player, reminds me much of Stewert Downing, and that’s not a good thing. Good dribbling and pace but very poor at finishing and crossing. Had one very good game against Man U in a cup (don’t know which one) and everyone tagged him as a future star. I personally don’t think he will be a star in the prem anytime soon and feel that, given the time zaha has, Sammy would be as good, if not better, than him.

All of this is just my opinion, of course and you are entitled to your own.

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Dannyo
    Aye mate hard to disagree with that though I think Abied, Vuckic (for about 4 games a season before getting crocked) and Sammy could all fit that bill

Still rather hopeful that we sign Clyne, Brahimi and that Bigirimana kid could be the business for us and build for the future

• Dannyo

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM

@WWYCD
    Aye, the names u mention there i completely concur with, especially the last 3.
    Young, hungry, eager to prove themselfes. No better way to give everyone a boost and fire in the belly.
    Several players already in the squad which i look forward to seeing more of next season.
    Marveux, he’ll be like a new signing 😛

• WWYCD

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Dannyo
    Oh aye Marv is a starter for me taking over the LW spot with Ba and Cisse rotating 😉 Football manager style

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Phewwwwh,
    Been locked out all afternoon,posts haven’t been appearing till half an hour after I’ve left them,had loads of …. to say today and now it doesn’t’ matter,but the Bills-son scenario with the blood pressure pills I thought hilarious.