The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Bigger Club Than Newcastle Are After Me – Magpies Target

1:39 pm, Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 190 Comments

FC Twente center-back Douglas is a target of Newcastle this summer.

Douglas - admits Newcastle are after him

And the 24-year-old Brazilian, who  has been with Twente since 2007, since joining them from Brazilian club Joinville, wants to move on,  and he has admitted today that Newcastle are indeed one of the clubs after him.

His four year contract runs out at the end of the month, but his club are still due some compensation,  because he is still only 24, and has been with them since he was 19.

This is what Douglas had to say today:

“I have spent five years at Twente and have done my best for the club,” “I have won the title, the cup – it’s time for a next step.”

“Five clubs are interested and there’s a bigger club than Newcastle.” “I cannot still say anything about it, but I hope soon to have my new club.”

“I have personally been in touch with Ajax and immediately said that I’m not interested,” “I want to go abroad as I have outgrown the league.

“I noticed this year that I am sometimes a little too easy going down, then you make mistakes. I want to be tested every week.”

Both top London clubs Chelsea and Tottenham are reported to be interested in the player, although Spurs are expected to sign top Ajax captain and center-back Jan Vertonghen in the next few days.

So maybe it’s Chelsea who are the big club – bigger than Newcastle – who are after the center-back, and they are big, let’s fact it, having just won the European Champions League.

Douglas certainly wants to move away from Holland, and we wonder if Newcastle have already agreed a deal with FC Twente for this player?

By our reckoning Douglas has played a total of  194 games for Twente over the last five years, scoring 15 goals, and at 6″4″ he is a dominant no-nonsense center-back,  and an excellent header of the ball.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

190 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Fresh // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

i swear to god if he’s referring to spurs…

• 2 cupiddstunt // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Let him go to the “bigger” club

• 3 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Spurs linked with another NUFC target. They won’t be happy until they have Ba and Krul then snap up our targets.It will be our scout next ….Carr.

• 4 Graeme // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

A bigger club than Newcastle???

What on earth is he smoking??

• 5 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Fresh blog, fresh start.

No one dare mention who we may sell or else I will unleash my volcanic fury that has been building inside since the day i gave up being the arrogant, abusive and annoying blogger I once was.

Let’s talk Douglas

• 6 Graeme // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Toon1978 – errr, I think you will find Graham Carr worked at Spuds for a number of years before he came to us. It was because Chris Hughton knew him at spuds that he brought him to us!!!

• 7 WWYCD // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Can it not be said NUFC linked with another Spurs target?

• 8 ArtyH // Jun 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Ha Ha Ha, thats what Jose and Carrol said last year and look at them, bigger club my A**e!

• 9 pbNcl // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

”Outgrown the league” so he says. Don’t like arrogant fcukas like. No thanks pal move on

• 10 fungus44 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hope we already have him in the bag as chelsea he will be on the bench more than on the pitch

• 11 Carlo.man // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I hope we get him his a perfect fit for what we need a tall strong cb thats dominant in the air plus his only 24 his played a lot of first team football and his still got time to grow into a top player

• 12 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Can’t see spurs getting both Douglas and Verthongen. Hope they get Douglas then Verthongen cones to us. Did a sound job at left back against England

• 13 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM

That would be a really stupid comment for him to make if he is planning to come to us.

• 14 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Does anyone know how quick he is? Can’t see him partnering colo if he’s Shola-speed. More like he would be colo’s replacement for the lesser games.

• 15 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Graeme and WWYCD

I am being bias lol. Tongue in cheek n that ;)

• 16 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM

can’t see him coming to nufc cause by the looks of it his attitude sucks and we don’t buy trouble makers

• 17 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

ROSHAN MAGPIE

Exactly mate. We don’t want any big time charlies. If spuds want him then so be it. He will get on with Mr ego Redknapp.

• 18 WWYCD // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

He has a attitude because he wants to go to a bigger league (more money and more competition) and because he doesnt think we are the biggest club in England?

I dont really see it

• 19 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

There’s bigger club than Newcastle?

Then i don’t want him here. He’s the sort of player whom if we sign will jump ship immediately if he’s good performance gains attention from the ‘bigger’ clubs.

Not needed here. Switch target.

• 20 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

WWYCD

There is no bigger club then NUFC in my eyes mate. Its called 34 years of support and delusion lol. Its the way it is :)

• 21 Lucasd10 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Sign alderiweirld or however its spelt he’s twice the player!

• 22 magicbus // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

He`s after the big bucks from someone methinks.

• 23 WWYCD // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Toon1978
    Haha fair one mate but I dont think Douglas has been a die hard NUFC fan all his life…dont mean he has a attitude problem imo

• 24 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“Let him go to the “bigger” club”

Jesus what a way to make instantaneous enemies…what a prick of you ask me he has pretty much instantaneously buried a possibility to EVER come here with that arrogant talk mate you could turn out to be a nobody.

Well said let him go to a “bigger” club…

• 25 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

WWYCD

You are totally correct mate. I am just looking through black n white glasses. At the end of the day, he looks out for himself to have the best of careers. That’s fair enough and he can’t be blamed for that. However, i want NUFC to win a bloody trophy of some kind before i am kicking up daisy’s lol.

• 26 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

“Not needed here. Switch target.”

agreed moving on….

• 27 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I think it’s fair to say we don’t want Douglas now.

He isn’t that good anyway, just cheap.

• 28 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Not we, I meant I don’t want Douglas

• 29 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Beattie25

I don’t think you will be alone with that opinion somehow lol.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Beattie,
    If WE means more than one person you would be correct in saying we coz I dont either.

• 31 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I still think that when Verthongen signs for Spuds we may go in for Caulker.

Also out of all the CBS I have always championed Alderweirled. I think he is a great player and is more versatile than Verthongen. I do se one problem though.

If we sign Alderweirled and he does well it’s going to cost a fcuking fortune to get his name on the back if my shirt. I’ll stick with Ba. Cheap

• 32 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

We it is.

Ed needs to do a poll like yesterday!

• 33 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Beattie25

Are we linked with Alderweirled????

• 34 Mark29Hungary // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

OMG!

Who is this guy?

Played he ever in the brazilian national team os something? Why is he so uppity?

You have outgrown the Erdevise, and now you want a “bigger” club than Newcastle?

Ok, then go to one of the “bigger” clubs bench…

Good Luck, you clown!

• 35 studsy // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Only got one stance for this guy: “Get yourself away then”

• 36 colwell // Jun 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Surely if he wanted too come here he would not of said a bigger club so next!

Anyway the guy is big but slower than Willo.

• 37 Foxworth // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Strong rumour on twitter that Fulham are negotiating a fee for Danny Simpson.

As much as I hate the silly season with random ITK’s and such – this seems like it has legs.

Get Debuchy in before the Euro’s start & Tav signed up and i’ll be a happy bunny.

Guessing if it true we’d be looking at what? Tops of £4 million (at best) for Simpson. Here’s hoping anyway.

• 38 toonoholic // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM

…then fk off to the bigger club douglas

• 39 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Beattie
    I thought the exact same about Caulker yesterday day didn’t realise you’d already mentioned it. I’d be happy with that signing he did well in his first premiership season at Swansea.

• 40 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Were these comments made in English? Is there a possibility that he said there is another big club like Newcastle or something along those lines?

• 41 geordie157 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

ALDERWIERELD Please!!!

• 42 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Chris Samba didn’t have a good start at Anzhi. I heard a rumour he wanted to leave and was unsettled but that was a month back haven’t heard anything since. Would be a cracking signing but he isn’t very versatile and that’s what Pards is after

• 43 GeordieToon89 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Well apparently according to a lad that came on here the other day Debuchy will be confirmed tomorrow

• 44 GeordieToon89 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Samba was unsettled because he was getting Bananas chucked off him during matches but he would cost to much now anyways

• 45 jesperfuglsang // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I dont like his attitude :-( at least not the way it is portrait.

• 46 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

GeordieToon89

He said “confirmed on Thursday” mate but i wouldn’t hold your breath lol.

• 47 naptoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

im in the we camp. get ureself off to the “bigger* club nd 52,000 geordies will cheer on players who dont see us as a lesser choice. prick.

• 48 Wor Shearer // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Is that his subtle way of telling us to get lost?

I hope he doesn’t trip over the steps at White Hart Lane and break his face on the way in.

• 49 grumpy_old_sod // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Call me childish, but wouldn’t want him even if the other (bigger) club dropped out.

Not the best way to conduct yourself , you should always keep your options open and not slam a door shut on them.

Hey ho, we have a great policy now and will have a number of other options.

• 50 WWYCD // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Toon1978
    Haha don’t worry mate we will win a trophy soon has to be coming by now…imagine if we win the FA cup next season then never stop winning trophies for 20 years just like that (rather good) England advert ;)

• 51 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

WWYCD

Yeah mate, just imagine hahaha.

• 52 magpie79 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM

newcastle will only be in the market 4 a cb,rb and will only buy 1 of each!the people on here who think were gunna sign debuchy and clyne 2 battle it out 4 right back are gunna be disapointed!

• 53 Wor Shearer // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Remember when Zog wanted to move to a ‘bigger’ club and ended up at Wigan…..HAhahaha

• 54 GeordieToon89 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Toon1978 – Oh yeah its only Wednesday tomorrow aint it a was thinking its Wednesday today haha

• 55 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

GeordieToon89

Nowt worse then when you lose a day lol. The weekend is another day away now for you now hahaha. I would love Debuchy to sign but i will believe it wen i see it. I want that kid to be right but 99.999% of the time its total BS lol.

• 56 magpie79 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM

no signing major signing will be made till next monday at the earliest because pards is on holiday till then:(

• 57 karasu // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I think he’s using our name to drive up his price and I don’t like that.

• 58 chris_g // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Isn’t it possible that the “bigger club” he was referring to was in fact Ajax, but that he would prefer to test himself in the premier league with a team like Newcastle instead?

• 59 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

A Samba type player is Exactley what we need. A big bruising power house who would take a kick in the face and get up and carry on. Someone who doesn’t know when they are beat and can grab hold of a game by the balls wen we are loosing and get up top and cause mayhem. A big personality.

I’ll never know why we didn’t go for Samba but we wouldn’t have got him anyway. Douglas is tall but far too skinny. I still remember this one player who played against Senegal in the ACON and absolutely destroyed Cisse and Ba. He payed for Equetorial Guinea and was called Laurence Doe. The lad was fast, powerful and scary. He also was a very compotent footballer, anyone could see that. A no nonsense CB that would destroy people at set pieces.

Now I am not saying that he would come into the first team but bringing him on with 10 minutes left when chasing a game wouldve been brilliant. He would cost about 500k aswell.

Anyway he is never going to sign but a player like that would for me. Problem is there aren’t many!

• 60 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Before anyone comments on me answering my own question what I should’ve said was

‘I dont know why we never went for Samba but I doubt we may have for him in the end anyway’

• 61 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Fcuk you iPhone

For = *got

• 62 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Gt89

Is that true about samba? It’s disgusting that behaviour is still around! It really should have been stamped out a long time ago, zero tolerance policy!

Will be interesting to see what will happen during the euro’s, especially to our own team and fans.

• 63 graham cwarr // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

@beattie. So you want Steven Taylor?

• 64 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Scumderland linked with Aiden McGeady?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Where are they going to get 12-15 million from??

• 65 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM

@Beattie
    Hit the nail right on the head. A CB that can get at least 5 goals a season too

• 66 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Yeah. I know he is injury prone but he I still great.

If where up to me I’d sell Willo and bring in 2 CBS but I am not in charge so I suppose it’ll be same again next year.

• 67 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

A dominating CB is a scoring CB. That’s what Pardew was talking about!

Douglas isn’t a dominating one, Alderweirled isn’t either. Verthongen won’t be as dominant in the PL at set plays so Pards must have something up his sleeve.

I reckon a big tank from France! Any ideas? Players in the mould of Samba?!

• 68 graham cwarr // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

We’ll likely get in a young un for backup. Slightly above Williamson but below Taylor.
    And on mcgeady the scum will make losses to but anyone. Connor whickam lol.

• 69 graham cwarr // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

@beattie we’re currently training shola as a cb by the way.

• 70 graham cwarr // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

We’ll likely get Douglas and make him pound the weights

• 71 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

If we sign Douglas I just hope he can meaure up to cacapa

• 72 Dannyo // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

For one, i dont’t belive it is either Spurs nor Chelsea who are interested. Spurs is getting Verthogen, Chelsea has gotten Cahill and Luiz. I doubt it’s either of the two.

I think it’s another club overseas.

Also, not shocked about his statement, he’s a bit of a hot head, so he’ll not be the type to say the right, diplomatic things.
    Good that we’re still in the game tho, this is only positive imo.

• 73 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Harry has just denied being linked with Mulumbu. Publicity stunt on his agent’s part I guess.

• 74 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

That pretty much confirms we’re not in for him too then.

Damned agents!

• 75 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Daft gittttt hahahaha “ya gannaaa misss”

• 76 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ha ha that’ll be the suprise that Mulumbu was looking forward to

• 77 Beattie25 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Bet Harry gets sacked.

• 78 GeordieToon89 // Jun 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

FatmanJoe – Yeah mate its true about Samba, Nothing was done to the supporter neither even though they knew who he was…

Guessing Mulumbu is looking pretty silly now saying hes had talks with Spurs when clearly he hasnt, Unless Levy is doing it on the sly behind Harry because he’s planning on selling Sandro or someone..wouldnt suprise me if weve never even went for him neither tbh

• 79 SwedishMagpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Harry Redknapp on Champions League: “To be honest, I think it’s over-rated. Premier League football is enough”
    haha

• 80 SwedishMagpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Cabaye: “There are rumours. I am following it a little. But I have four years remaining on my contract with Newcastle. Today I don’t want to know anything. That is what agents are for.” -W.

• 81 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

He certainly wasn’t top of my list before this, now? Not interested, move elsewhere….

• 82 Marty-Toon // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Bye bye Douglas
    Don’t get why people on here actually seem to want to sell BA !
    Have a look at the vid Indian put out on here earlier with the seasons goals on it,BA was immense and we woulda been in 10 th place at Christmas without him.
    He’s a natural goalscorer and quality at that,he and cisse are different type of player but we need both as we don’t have many others chippin in with goals.
    7 million is way too little to let him go for so if a bid of that range comes in and he says he wants to go then hopefully other teams will join a bidding war.
    Surely the guy is worth at least 15 when andy was 35 mill.
    He’s a way better finisher than big Andy anyways.
    Just hoping we get our money’s worth

• 83 Marty-Toon // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Sell Simmo to Fulham with Hangeland coming the other way.
    He’s a quality proven pl player and gets goals from set plays

• 84 hoppernufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Does anyone else think a move for arsenals emanuel frimpong would be a shout? He was having a great season on lone at wolves until he got injured . I think he would be a class signing.

• 85 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Marty-Toon
    Can’t see Fulham agree with you on your idea. Simmo valued at say what (2mill) in a swap for Hangeland valued at say 8(mill)
    Doubt they would even swap simmo for Aaron Hughes mate

• 86 Troleibusiukas_LTU // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

bigger club? F*ck u! your ego is too big for newcastle, there is better defenders than you, who would like to join newcastle :)

• 87 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Personally i dont buy that all our players want to leave because of champions league not one of them could of thought we would be in europe when they signed they must all of bought in to our long term plan

The only club i can see in danger of losing top players are spuds apparantly VDV fancys schalke so he can be with his missus whos a german tv presenter or summit and as usual modric being linked with every1 once there bale will follow leaving them with a ageing average strike force and disgruntled swuad members ( bently,pinear,krancjar etc)

• 88 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

We haven’t got a choice of selling him if a team meets his 7mill release clause. God knows why we were daft enough to agree to the clause in the first place I thought Ashley won’t have been brainier than that. No1 will want him to leave just if he wants to go then no point having unhappy players

• 89 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Hopper aye frimpong looks a class little player bit of a temper tho but did love him on soccer am! Can frimpong play ping pong?

• 90 seantoon // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Agreed mate i would love nothing more than them plem players to leave. Then we can sneak in and take Kyle Walker as our new RB aswel :) that would be like winning a cup for me I’d be over the moon

• 91 hoppernufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Aye he was class on soccer am, him and tiote would be some force in the middle, imagin the amount of cards they would pick up between them haha

• 92 studsy // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

DENCH!

• 93 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Seantoon aye kyle walker is basically simmo but with full potential!

Hooper they would both be banned after ten games for to many yellows!

Any1 see this old tv ad of wor demba at hoffenhiem

• 94 nufcburty // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Arrogant twat, go to the bigger club, have fun getting a consistent place in their squad, be hald lucky to walk into ours!

• 95 roblee7 // Jun 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Alrite lads…. don’t want this guy if he thinks there’s a bigger club than us….seriously he can’t come to us now after saying that, can he?

Anyway, I posted on here a few times in the past with links to my Ebay football shirts, but due to increase in demand I decided to up the stock so have alot more shirts for sale now, a couple of excellent toon tops amongst others, PLEASE TAKE A LOOK!!

Here’s a link

Apologies in advance for the dirty mackem shirt I’m selling, its the cheapest one I have :)

• 96 djm... // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Come on lads, he has no link to us and there are teams bigger than us in the world. If we happen to be a players second choice because there is a chance he would be challenging for leagues and playing in the champions league then so be it. Doesnt mean he would come here and not put his heart into it. There is nothing wrong with having players that are ambitious in their careers.

• 97 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Oh dear. Old arry has come out criticising Daniel levy.

Trouble in paradise I fear

HA!

• 98 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Roblee7 have you ever come across our third kit from the championship season? Fcuking loved that kit

• 99 Jail for Ashley // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Like Ibiza said his words could easily have been taken out of context and if he’s been unlucky enough to have read this blog today we’ve got no chance of getting him.

• 100 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Fatman joe ol floppy chops is just bitter that spuds whipped there contract offer off the table the second they found out woy hodgson had been offered the england job!

• 101 roblee7 // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM

toonarmydownsouth …. is that the blue n black one? I haven’t ever managed to pick one up and if I did I’m not sure I’d want to sell it to be honest! They’re hard to come across! What you think of my shop?

• 102 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Yeah. I reckon he’ll stay but it’s got to shake up their players a little bit and put off potential buys this summer.

I might be optimistic but I think adebayor won’t go back there and bale, modric, Parker, lennon, vdv, sandro and walker will all leave. And no one else signs. And next season they finish 19th, one place above 20th.

It might happen.

• 103 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

JFA….On that basis let’s hope big Mike hasn’t been taking a look too :)

• 104 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

One place above Liverpool. In 20th

19th is one place above 20th, just in case that wasn’t clear..

• 105 cupiddstunt // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Beattie25 @ # 31

You could always just go with “TOBY”

graham cwarr @ # 69

I think Shola would make an excellent cb, knows how to defend and attack in set pieces, and wouldn’t have to do as much running as a cd.

• 106 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Roblee7 its a lovely kit had one and my wife shrunk it =0 yeah good shop got some classic kits on there except, as you said, that mackem one maybe advertise it as a novelty toilet roll??

Fatman joe apparantly adebayor wont take a pay cut to join them!

• 107 cupiddstunt // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

FatmanJoe @ # 101

Wishful thinking J, wishful thinking although you are spot on about one thing.

19th is deffo one place above 20th ;-) :-) :-)

• 108 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ha, thought so.

• 109 roblee7 // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM

toonarmydownsouth ….haha, that shirt, honestly, i’ve seen people pay in excess of £50.00 for it and its not even that old! Very Inter Milan :D Nobody out there want the 90’s denim shirt of the UEFA yellow away shirt? haha, disappointed these haven’t sold quicker to be honest, not hardest shirts to get a hold of but in good condition they’re pretty rare!

• 110 tarie4 // Jun 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Any news on the France starting line up today? Hope Benny boy starts

• 111 Marty-Toon // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

@sean toon
    I dint mean that Fulham would do a swap but hat if hey bought Simmo for say 2 mill then we coulda thrown a few bob their way to get Hangeland through the door….
    He’s a bit older than our normal recruits but the lads quality.
    Graham Carr has surely unearthed a cheaper copy ;-)

• 112 FatmanJoe // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Anyone seen on Ssn on the cabaye link to manure? Nearly all the comments are favouring the move and the fans are acting like it’s a sure thing!

• 113 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Typical plastic man u fans, obviously don’t realise they’ve signed kagawa meaning cabaye will almost certainly not be going there.
    Strange how Dortmund were willing to sell kagawa for £7mil but got £17mil. He could’ve definitely been on our radar at that price.

• 114 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Also hazard will fit in perfectly with all the big ego’s at Chelsea. I’m pretty sure if he went to man u fergie would not tolerate any of that, maybe that’s why he went to Chelsea? Also for the money obviously.

• 115 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM

@FatmanJoe – that’s because they’re Man U fans from all over the world. They just presume if Man U wants Man U gets- that goes for players, referee decisions, money, titles etc.

• 116 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Anyone know if HBA, Debuchy and Cabaye will start tonight???

• 117 NUFCFAN76 // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hello All. Been a while. Any news on the friendly here in the ‘States Aug 3rd against AC Milan in Pittsburgh?

My trip to Kansas last July was the stuff of dreams. I’d love another chance to see/meet/hang with the squad.

• 118 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Toon1978

Don’t know, teams haven’t been announced yet, it’s on ESPN. K.O at 8.

• 119 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Y. M’Vila
    M. Martin
    C. Carrasso
    H. Ben Arfa

• 121 niafron // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Bonsoir messieurs.

I’m going to watch the game, i’m just here to say hello.

• 122 cupiddstunt // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

And a good eavening to you too niafron I think there will many new followers of France now and for some time to come.

We will be interested in our players and those we are suppose to be looking at.

• 123 niafron // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

About the french team.

We got a good keeper.

A bad defense, pay particular attention to breach on our left side and to the actions of our two CBs.

Got doubt about our midfield. Strong, but lack of quality. Malouda and Diarra both made an awfull season.

For the forward, Nasri lack of Pace, and Ribéry, altough he could mak a good game tonight, will collapse under pressure when the tournament will start.

Sure, we got Benzema.

• 124 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Evening Niafron

Blanc doesn’t fancy HBA mind. Second game as a sub. Hmmmm, one of their most gifted players as well.

• 125 niafron // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Also this steam is supposed to be our starting eleven. Unfortunatly, the opponent tonight is a bit weak for a full scale test.

• 126 niafron // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Sunday evening, Beny made the training in the starting side.

So he’s relatively close from the starters. This is between him and Nasri.

Nasri got the lead because he’s expected to have a better workrate and to got more tactical skills.

• 127 niafron // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

All right lads, got to go.

Bonne soirée messieurs.

• 128 cupiddstunt // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Have to agree with the Nasri analysis not been particlary impressive since leaving Arsenal, and watched Ribery in the CL final and thought he “flattered to deceive” in other words LOOKS like he is having a great game but is not and was unable to come up with anything that could get through the Chelski defence.

• 129 Beardo // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My heart just fluttered as Cabaye went through shot during the anthem!

• 130 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yer niafron, but we have Jordan Henderson….

• 131 Beardo // Jun 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

How Evra is picked ahead of Clichy is beyond me.

• 132 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

game starts

• 133 Crawfordladd17 // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

How Malouda and Diarra ahead of Benny is beyond me and Beardo I think it is because Evra was a dick the last world cup and Clichy had a better season, winning the league as well.
    But my real point is how many centre backs do Spurs need Dawson, King, Kaboul, Bassong, Gallas and Khumalo and Vergenthon is going to join, also Douglas is not going to be better than any of them

• 134 Beardo // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Mexes looking decidedly Boumsong-esque so far.

• 135 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Crawfordladd17

well the manager doesnt wana risk benny.. as he is imp player in the euro

• 136 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

cabayeeeeeeeee misd

• 137 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

@ Beardo + Crawfordladd – totally agree with both of you and was just about to say almost the exact same phrase “evra was a total dick in the world cup” and surely was a massive let down to his country.

• 138 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

what a goal from Ribery- Benzema’s touch!

• 139 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

France are playing some decent football, x100 better than the crap England play.

• 140 Beardo // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Ooof, almost a scorcher from ‘Yo’ :P

• 141 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

an inch wide from Cabaye

• 142 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Cabaye just nearly scored a screamer.

• 143 israeli_fan // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

i know most of us fear we will sell cisse tiote or krul but i think our most important player and irreplaceable is cabaye

he is like scholes in his prime.. vision, shooting everything.. and he knows how to tackle as well

• 144 tonynufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

not convinced about debuchy. yes he can cross a good ball, good at getting down the flanks but havent really seen him in his real role. the right hand side keeps getting caught out. plus thats the side benny often takes. tough one. probs still take him like. What you’s think!!!!

• 145 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Take a touch yohan

• 146 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He’s better than Simpson

• 147 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

cabayeeeeeeee omg almost in

• 148 tonynufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

yes but he aint getting back enough

• 149 sahil // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Anyone got a link for the France game?

• 150 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

There ya go. English commentary.

• 151 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The France defence can definitely be got at. Mexes is half the player he looked like he’d grow into 5 years ago. He doesn’t look remotely comfortable dealing with pace.

And Nasri just took a dive in a friendly against Estonia.That’s low.

• 152 Spuggy // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

It’s very hard to assess a player domestically from an international game. Especially a friendly. Look how many player underperform at international level – england team anyone?

• 153 sahil // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Cheers TDS!
    Hope benny gets on after the break, we need ribery to stop scoring as well haha!

• 154 tonynufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM

would like to see benny come on and play down the right wing just see how debuchy adapts. Really want to see the lad do well.

• 155 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The only way we’re going to beat France is to attack them. Their defence does not look comfortable and Estonia should’ve been ahead. But going forward they look very dangerous and if our defence isn’t ready we will be cut to shreds. Their 2 goals were brilliant.

• 156 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I more fancy us defending rigidly, then hoping for a goal on the break or from a set pieces.

If we try and attack France, they’ll tear us to pieces!

• 157 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Seriously though, how is playing your final friendly against such week opposition useful?

How ridiculous.

• 158 Jail for Ashley // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

TDS,
    I clicked on that link and downloaded the video converter how do I watch the match : 0

• 159 tonynufc // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

is douglas fast???

• 160 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Wow, that American CB we had on loan is refereeing the France game!

• 161 super magpie // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

The gooch?

• 162 Nick 69 // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

France will beat us wether we defend or attack, they’re simply much better individually and as a team. Some of the players in our squad are nothing short of disgraceful.

• 163 Dannyo // Jun 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

@TDS
    One has to be careful playing friendlies ahead of a competition like the euros.
    For me, it’s quite obvoius that they want the players to gel quicker, a good, confident mood, will help that.
    Also, it helps them settle a system when the opposition isn’t ripping it apart every 2 minutes.
    They’ll remember the system better when the big teams come, even tho it gets harder to hold it.

• 164 Nick 69 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

ToonDownSouth – playing ther finaly freidnly against weak opposition is helpful becuase a rampant victory can boost there confidence. We played our finaly friendly against weak oppostion, Belgium are 44th in the rankings, Estonia 54th, and we struggled

• 165 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, lost a bit of bulk though

• 166 Dannyo // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Cabaye off.

• 167 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Sahil

wer u from.? if india tune into tv5 monde channel

• 168 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

ger arfaaaaaaaaaaa innnnnn plzzzzz

• 169 GeordieToon89 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Sigurdsson is back on the market and available for around 6.5 million but with our upfront direct payment we could probably get him for about £6million as swansea was 4.5 then 2million in bonuses, hes turned down Swansea because they dont have a manager and Rodgers is no longer there, Liverpool want him but sure we could tempt him, he’d he an awesome signing

• 170 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Nick

FIFA rankings? Seriously? England were 4th last year. That tells you everything you need to know about their validity.

The gap in quality between England & Belgium is small. The gap in quality between France & Estonia is absolute massive.

It’s all very well spanking small teams, but when Frances defence gets tested they’ll have real problems.

Also, England did not struggle against Belgium. Sure, it wasn’t free flowing football, but we were well organised and Belgium barely had a clear chance all game.

• 171 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Doesn’t look like we are going to see HBA. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 172 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM

arfa,warmng up looks like his next

• 173 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Toon1978

guess we wont see arfa startng in euros too

• 174 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

yessssssss arfa commen on

• 175 Toon1978 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I am wrong here is HBA come on laddd stake a claim.

• 176 Spuggy // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

wow france have a lot of forward talent!

• 177 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM

lots of cheer for arfa can u hear it

• 178 Nick 69 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM

England couldn’t string more than a couple of passes together in either friendly, absolutely no fluency. The current England team are very poor, the worst group of players in my lifetime by a country mile

Estonia also came 2nd in their qualifying group for the Euros, Belgium came 3rd, so the difference between them cant be that big can it

• 179 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

If England’s players are so poor (which they are), then why do you judge them to high standards and expect decent passing football.

The best we can hope is that Hodgson has them very well drilled, we defend solidly, and hope to hit teams on the break of from set pieces a few times each game.

• 180 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Hatem is far too eager to impress. He’s giving the ball away every time he gets it.

• 181 Spuggy // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM

That’s Hatem! Need to just learn to play backward sometimes.

• 182 Spuggy // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Arfa playing through the middle, get’s caught too much, defo better on the right

• 183 Nick 69 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I don’t judge them to high standards, and when did I say I expect decent passing football? Iv said for a long time now, they are p*ss poor, play crap football and don;t stand a chance at the Euro’s, ive never once said, or expected otherwise, altho I will still get behind them and support Hodgson, I have very low expectations of what we will do, so I will not be disappointed

• 184 ToonDownSouth // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Spuggy

It’s funny how everyone on here was moaning at Pardew for playing him out wide, rather than in the middle.

Shows what the fans actually know, doesn’t it!

• 185 Nick 69 // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

HBA will be lucky to get any game time at all at the Euro’s, he’s given the ball away constantly in each of the friendlies. Trying way too hard

• 186 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

tought dempsey was playn for france but it was menez

• 187 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

cnt wait for 11 th

• 188 JAMSHA // Jun 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

any1playes Homerunbattle 3D on their android fone?

• 189 gfp13 // Jun 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

There is a massive gap in quality between Estonia and Belgium.
    How many Belgium players can you name as to how many Estonia?
    I think Belgium will do very well in euro 2016. They have a very good batch of youngsters at the minute who in 4 years time could be a team who challenge for, if not win, euro 2016.
    England are by no means a world class team but teams like Greece in 2004 and Denmark when peter schmeichel was playing have won it before so why can’t we, the underdogs, win this time. Let’s have a little faith n just hope for the best

• 190 nufc 11 // Jun 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

If we could Samba id move ST to RB and play colo and samba in the middle with yanga or Taylor frm swansea at LB big brusiers who can play thats what we need at the back

previous post: Fears Newcastle Will Lose At Least One Big Player This Summer