Chris Hughton Back At St. James’ Park Next Season?

We may see Chris Hughton back at St. James’ Park next season after all.

Chris Hughton – while Newcastle manager

There was news earlier this summer that Chris was the favorite for the West Brom job, but it seems there was no truth in that story.

But news today that Cheis ihas actually been given permission to talks to Norwch about the vacancy left by Paul Lambert, when he accepted the job at Aston Villa last week.

Norwich received some good compensation from Aston Villa for their manager, so if they have to pay Birmingham  compensation for Chris, that should not be a problem.

And Chris talking to Norwich has been made official by a statement on the Birmingham City web-site this morning:

“Hughton expressed a wish to speak to the Canaries and permission was reluctantly granted.”

Acting Birmingham Chairman Peter Pannu said the following today:

“Chris is a great manager and deserves the opportunity to speak to Norwich, which is why we have granted him permission to speak to them.”

Norwich City would be a great club for Chris to manage, with their excellent support, and Chris has shown an ability to build;d a good team with very little money, as he did last year when he had Birminghma in 4th place after most of their good players had left following relegation.

And even then manager Alex McLeish left for rivals Aston Villa, but he did the same thing this year as Aston Villa, who only just avoded relegation and now Alex is out of a job.

Norwich City have issued this  statement on their web-site:

“Norwich City can confirm that Birmingham City have granted the club permission to speak to Chris Hughton about the vacant managerial position at Carrow Road.”  “The club will be making no further comment at this stage.”

This should be good news for Norwich City fans and bad news for Birmingham fans.

And of course Chris has Colin Calderwood with him again, and the two of them did so well in rescuing Newcastle from the complete doom and gloom that followed relegation.

Chris was in charge at Newcastle for about eighteenth months,  from June of 2009 until he was surprisingly fired in December of 2010, with Alan Pardew coming into the hot seat.

We wouldn’t be surprised if it’s announced fairly quickly that Chris has taken the job at Norwich – and that would mean we will see him back at St. James’ Park next season.

Newcastle fans never really got the chance to thank him for the great work he did while on Tyneside, and we could now get our chance next season.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I hope so

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Sorry hit wrong button too early I hope so as he deserves the chance to show he can manage in the prem he did well with us and hope he can prove he is up to it again.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I think the canaries will give Chris some decent players to work with, they were not bad last season and had some promise, If Chris can steady them the way he did us then he can make them a solid premiership club.

Best of luck Chris in whatever you choose.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Is it just my imagination or is there a bit of an empty echo around here?????? 🙂

• Minato

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Na im here too cupid…and I agree with you completely I think Chris would be a good fit for Norwich.

• ashwin say's

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

newcastle scout keeping close tab on rick vanwolfwinkel for past 6 months,
    love it if newcastle anounce signing complete

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Cupid…..I thought it was a private party mate 😉

Be good to see Hoots back in the PL. He is a true gent and seems to run a well organized team. Will be interesting to see if he can improve on Lambert’s job at the club. I would think he’ll get a roaring reception at St. James’ Park next season is he makes the move

• Minato

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I think it would be great to see him turn up at St James next season and get a great reception too. He definitely deserves alot of credit for where we are now. Obviously then he would have to endure a pasting but im sure that would just make us love him more. I can imagine the media hype already leading to that game.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ibizatoon @ # 7

Agreed I think there will be some noise made for the guy when he comes back here.

I say when and not if as I am sure he will end up managing a prem club somewhere and WILL end up back here some time.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Cupid…At some time for sure. The “if” is only whether he takes this job with Norwich.

• TorqToon

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Ashwin – where did you hear the Ricky van wolfwinkle story?

• LEROI

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

ha ha just read the Best moving on story & thought Norwich would be a good fit for him & then low & behold the manager that signed him is in talks with Norwich. Anyone think Hoots would sign Besty again given the chance? I do.

• Sazzer

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Who have made the best signing so far?
    Chelsea signs Hazard 32 m £.
    Man Utd signs Kagawa 12 (17) m £.
    Newcastle signs Amalfitano free.

• Sazzer

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

And on Hughton I hope he gets chance.

• martoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Hello all – been a while since I posted. I’ve been on holiday (weather was brilliant by the way Ibiza) and started a new job.
    It will be interesting to see what knd of job Houghton makes at Norwich because normally he takes a failing team and turns them around whereas you could say Norwich are a mid-table team.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hi Martoon….Glad the weather help up for you. Did you have a good time, what did you get up to?

• Dougie Bugbal Morris

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The Boy did well at the Toon . Hope he gets the job and does well for them

• Indian Magpie

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Transfer Central TNC ?@TransferNewsCen
    France Football reports that Inter are very interested in signing Lille full-back Mathieu Debuchy. -F

• ashwin say's

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

torqtoon his agent has said so,
    also he is agent of neil de jong and seim de jong
    it was on some porteguese blog
    lets see what happen’s next

• simon

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Houghton will deserve his ovation, he did a spectacular job when it was all doom and gloom at toon 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Doom and gloom at the toon? You sure you don’t have the wrong team? We’ve never had any doom and gloom 🙂

• Ewokshatemackems

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Reading between the lines, Pardew’s going to Barcelona

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Ewok…And his first bit of business is to do a direct swap of Ameobi – Messi and Simmo – Alves.

• martoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Ibiza – We did a lot of sitting around the pool 🙂
    We did get the ferry to Ibiza town and walked up to the top of the old town and of course the hippy market as we were in Es Cana. Hotel was fantastic – I can recommend Thompson Gold to anybody who is going without kids!
    Enough of the holiday review back to football – I think I read that Pardew is on holiday at the moment which is probably why very quiet on the Toon front.

• samich

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Best out, Il-Gwan in and I’d be happy with that ;D

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Martoon…Well i’m glad you had a good trip 🙂

Pardew on holiday? How inconsiderate. Here we are driving ourselves insane, whilst he’s sunning off somewhere 🙂

• GeordieLad

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

If we keep all of our players and add 3 first teamers, here’s my squads for the prem and europe.

Prem:

———————-krul——————
    Debuchy–anderweild–colo—santon
    ——–cabaye—tiote–gutierezz——–
    —Ben Arfa——-cisse——-ba——-

Europe:

———————–krul——————
    Tav—— Saylour—– Perch——pieters
    ———————-tiote—————-
    Obertan———–gosling——— marveux
    —————- cisse———-shola———-

• Faddj

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

anyone else on here got twitter? everytime I make a comment on this blog I never come back on to check who’s replied to me, and I often tweet about Newcastle and football in general so follow me on twitter people…

@Faddj

• Minato

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

@13

I think Kagawa will prove to be very good value for money. Hazard essentially costing 50m by the end of his first season is just too much for me. If Citah were balking at his demands that says it all. Amalfitoono was free and on very low wages/unproven. If he works out, great. If he doesn’t, won’t really be a loss to the club.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

GeordieLad…Good formations and nice to see someone making use of the “current” midfield and attackers at the club. However I doubt we’ll bring in 3 top defenders this window. We’ll be lucky to get one imo.

• martoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Faddj @28 – What I do is if I comment on a blog I temporarily save the page in my favourites. Then later you can recall the blog page and see if anybody has replied, you can then delete it from your favourites when your finished.

• sweendog

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

anyone else think when best leaves we’ll get Tulio de Melo

• Klatoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Inter have Maicon, Nagatomo and a million other options at RB

• hotdog

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I think we would all welcome the chance to say our thanks to CB for the job he did for us. Ive met the man a couple of times and he always seemed very humble to me, top fella.

On a different point it looks like it will be a near sell out next season. What is the situation with building on top of the Gallowgate end? I know this was mentioned under Sir John Hall but cant remember the costs invloved or what the increase attendance would be!!

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Tottenham midfielder Niko Kranjcar has confirmed to Croatian media that he is set to depart North London for Dynamo Kiev this summer.

Kranjcar, 27, has struggled to make an impact in the Spurs side over the past two seasons and despite manager Harry Redknapp insisting he is not looking to sell the player, the Croat has been sparingly used.

“The clubs have agreed. Now all that remains are some small details as I agree personal terms,” Kranjcar told Croatian website Jutarnji List. “I personally am not involved with that. I have left that to the people that represent me as I am concentrating on the Euros.”

Redknapp bought Kranjcar from Portsmouth in 2009 and although he made an impression initially, injury and the form of Gareth Bale have restricted opportunities in recent times.

Last month, the attacking midfielder indicated that he could be tempted by a big-money move to Russia or Ukraine.

“In Russia and Ukraine, playing football you can earn huge money,” Kranjcar told Croatian website Index. “Whether we admit it or not, money is important.”

—————–
    precious peak years of his career was wasted. we were interested in him 2 years ago but he was reluctant. now he’s getting old and will never be at his best.

always seen him as just as good as modric. what a waste. if only he used his brain better rather than staying at Spurs and than complaining about lack of first team football. Fantastic player but without brains.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

From what I can remember there was provisional planning permission for an additional extension and it would take the ground to just over 60,000.

But to be honest I think the board would have to see that we are a solid European team before investing that kind of money.

There is a detrimental psychological effect as well as an effect on the atmosphere to having empty seats and as it has been proved in the past even while playing s**t we can get around 45,000 through the door but that would leave 15,000 empty seats when the club is not doing so well (the curse of the glory hunters).

• nimo

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Theres a dude whos on here with a retro shirt site.. Anyone know his name or site im after euro 96 england shirt

• davybtoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Just on clyne there chairman saying we ain’t bid for him but since palace are taking the pee with the asking price I doubt we will bid we will surely jus sign him on a free and take our chance at a tribunal for the fee b a lot cheaper than what palace want

• davybtoon

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

And about Douglas saying a bigger club than us wants him n everyone went mad on here, there are bigger clubs than us u kno n why was everyone saying spurs he never mentioned what country the bigger club was from

1 2 3 6