The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We’ll Never Forget What Chris Hughton Did For Newcastle

5:08 pm, Thursday, June 7th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

As expected, Norwich City have confirmed today that Chris Hughton has been appointed as their  new manager.

The great Chris Hughton – already wearing the right tie – he’s not daft

The 53-year-old replaces Paul Lambert at Carrow Road, after Paul took up the job at Aston Villa earlier in the week.

It seems that Chris has signed a three-year deal and as we  reported earlier today, he is taking his backroom of  assistant manager Colin Calderwood, first-team coach Paul Trollope and chief scout Ewan Chester with him to Norwich.

The former Newcastle United manager, who tasted real success at Newcastle, in his short 18 months in charge, had this to say today:

“As soon as the call came, due to the standing Norwich have, and their Premier League status, it was something that excited me,” “I’m very excited about the challenge ahead.”   “It has all be done so suddenly and I am delighted to be here.”  “It was difficult to leave Birmingham,”

“I had a very good year there and the supporters have been excellent with me.”  “It’s a wonderful club and I had a good relationship with the staff and the players so I’m grateful to them for allowing me to have this opportunity.”

Paul Lambert looks like  a  star manager in the making, and in a  short three seasons  he took Norwich from near the bottom of League One to successive promotions,  and a good  season of consolidation in the Premier League, where the Canaries finished in 12th position on 47 points.

That’s the position Newcastle finished in a year ago, but with one point less on 46 points.

Chris has admitted it will be difficult taking over from Paul:

“The job Paul has done here in the last three years is a wonderful achievement.”   “To rise from the first division to the Premier League for someone in management is a tough task and everyone appreciates the job he did.”

“It will be a hard act to follow but it’s about making progress, making sure we have stability in this division now.”

Norwich CEO David McNally has said Hughton was always the East Anglia club’s number one choice:

“We looked at the UK and international market, and had a detailed look at who was available and who wasn’t and we wanted to try to find the person who could take us forward.”

“This is one of the best times in the club’s history financially so we think the job is attractive to managers around the world.”

“We thought it was key to have top-league experience, preferably in the Premier League and at the end of it all we looked at the names and Chris stood out as number one candidate. We recognised that unanimously.”

As we said earlier today,  Hughton’s first job is to persuade 31 year-old striker Grant Holt, who hit 15 Premier League goals last season,  to stay on at Carrow Road, after he has already asked for a transfer, which was turned down.

Chris talked about the top striker:

“He is a quality player, no doubt about that. And with his record – to score the goals he did last season – there wouldn’t be any manager coming in who wouldn’t want to keep a player of that quality.”

“I’ve only just come through the door a few minutes ago so I have not had the opportunity to speak with him but that will be one of the priorities.”  “He is contracted to this club. He won player of the season for the last three seasons so I absolutely would like him here.”

But Norwich fans will find out that Chris will not want to keep anybody at the club who doesn’t want to stay there,  and he will get the lads together, and there will a great team spirit continuing at Carrow Road.

McNally agreed with what Chris had to say about Holt (that’s a surprise):

“We want him to stay. He is our captain and has been our top scorer for the last three years.”  “He is not for sale and we would not encourage anyone to bid for him.”

This seems a win-win situation for both parties, with Chris getting a great club to manage, and Norwich City getting one of the real gentleman of football, who did wonders for Newcastle United.

We’ll never forget what he did for the Tyneside club, in its great time of need.

And Chris will get a fantastic welcome from the Geordie fans,  when Norwich City visit St. James’ Park next season, that’s for sure, and it’s a game to look forward to.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 rknufc // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

1st?

• 2 rknufc // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

woo

• 3 rknufc // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM

is there already a nufcblog league for the euro 2012 fantasy football or should i make one? http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/

• 4 Oldgit1 // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM

A true gentleman who will always be welcomed at St James park. I have a real soft spot for the man.

• 5 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I asked the same but with the sun euro 2012 dream team

• 6 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hoots will always be welcome. Got the team together for instant promotion. We could so easily still be down there

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Cwarr…I was looking at the sun one too and mentioned it yesterday.

Wanna start a mini league?

• 8 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Well Mr transfer sage this is almost as embarrassing as beatties resurrection. Almost.
    No beattie we haven’t forgot.

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Beetles resurrection was hilarious :)

• 10 grumpy_old_sod // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yes, where is debuchy. I believed him too ;-(

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Come on guys, he is coming over from Ukraine or Poland, give him a chance.

• 12 Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem) // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I think Debuchy is too busy ‘tending’ to Giroud ;)

• 13 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Ibuza it was comedy gold. Like the guy getting stuck in the capsule on this is spinal tap

• 14 Beattie25 // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Graham Cwarr

Another piece to the jigsaw. I will find out who you are. I’ve narrowed it down to bloggers who were around at that time.

Ibiza who do you think he is??

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Beattie…Who? Transfer Sage? Are you starting a new list? I am intrigued to say the least.

• 16 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Except I’ve never made it a secret beattie.
    You still got your hate list on the wall?

• 17 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The new hate list will have robinio on it for sure

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Cwarr….The hate list is long gone. Beattie is all about the love and only uses lists for narrowing down unknown bloggers and transfer targets :)

• 19 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

He’ll solve it all. Beattie P.I.

• 20 graham cwarr // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Does beattie have a love list?

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jun 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oh yes. It may not be long, but it has serious quality!

• 22 Charlietoon // Jun 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I really hope he has some success with Norwich. I’d hate to see him damage his reputation by getting relegated.

• 23 BigAl9 // Jun 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I can foresee Grant Holt to West Ham for 4 Million, Leon Best to Norwich for 4 million.

previous post: Graham Carr Signs New Eight Year Deal With Newcastle