Newcastle United will want to know exactly what Demba Ba’s future plans are – so they can go ahead with their own plans for the summer transfer window.
Demba Ba – Magpies need to understand his plans
The Senegal international has yet to tell Newcastle whether he wants to take up the release clause on his contract – if clubs like Tottenham come a calling this summer.
Ba’s contract includes a £7M release clause, which can be activated from June 1st until July 31st – but after that time he will only be available at the market price – which is much higher than £7M.
Chelsea, in addition to Tottenham, are said to be interested in the player, and maybe if Roberto de Mateo is appointed the new Chelsea manager this week, the Pensioners could move for the 27 year-old top striker.
Certainly Newcastle need to hear from Ba on his future plans before the lads return to pre-season training, which is scheduled for Thursday, July 5th.
Newcastle are keen to get the matter settled one way or the other, and hardly want to repeat the Jose Enrique saga of last year, when Jose toured America and played in the pre-season games, but then left Newcastle for Liverpool on 11th August.
The two strikers Newcastle are said to be interested in are 21 year-old Luuk de Jong, the FC Twente striker, and 25 year-old Montpellier’s French International Olivier Giroud, although Olivier could be a little on the expensive side.
Even if Demba Ba elects to stay on Tyneside, we still expect Newcastle to bring in one new striker, with the likelihood being it’s the younger de Jong.
Leon Best is expected to leave Newcastle in the summer, with the 25 year-old being linked with Scottish Champions Celtic, who would also like to sign Newcastle’s 24 year-old goalkeeper Fraser Forster.
What do you think?