Newcastle Always Go After Value In The Transfer Market

Newcastle are combing the leagues of France, and to a lesser extent, Germany,  for one very good reason.

Jay Rodriguez – worth nowhere near £6M

Newcastle can get some value in the transfer market in those two countries,  and that’s much harder to do here in England.

And Graham Carr, the Newcastle Chief scout, whose star has risen rapidly at Newcastle,  would love to see more local lads making the grade at Newcastle, so there is balance between players brought in from outside of England, and local English players.

This is what Graham said today to the local press,  about having balance between English players and those brought in from the continent:

“I would love to see that here.” “Even when I played I ended up going to Northampton – I was the youngest in the team in 1965 when we finished second to Newcastle and went up to the First Division.”

“Back then every club had a Geordie fellow in their team.” “Or at least somebody from between Berwick and Middlesbrough. Clubs like Burnley had four or five.” “And it’s still a great breeding area.”

“And I would love to see more homegrown players come through.”

We remember  the 1965 season well, when we were promoted,  and I remember being at the home game against Northampton Town, when there were over 62,000 at the game, and Newcastle won that game as I recall, with Wynn Davies scoring first with a great header.

And there’s a good case to be made of English players being too expensive, with  Southampton having just signed 22 year-old Burnley striker Jay Rodriquez for a  fee of £6M,  and they were quoted £7M for Celtic’s young English striker, 24 year-old  Gary Hooper.

Neither of those two players is worth that much, no way, which is why Newcastle did not go after either of them – and that sounds good to us.

Graham says that Newcastle go after real value in the transfer market:

“It’s not a case of not doing that. I think it is difficult to do it now.” “If you go for a player at a lower league club there becomes no value.” “You end up paying more if you are a Liverpool or Newcastle.”

“Be honest, where would you get a Yohan Cabaye for £4M or £5M?” “Or where would you get a Cheick Tiote for £3.5M? It is about value.”

We wouldn’t be surprised if other Premier League clubs follow Newcastle’s lead in the transfer market, as Newcastle were able to challenge in the top six last season, without spending incredible amounts of money last summer in the transfer market as other clubs like Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea did – to name only three.

Wait until those clubs have to balance their financial books, which hopefully will be very soon,  with the UEFA Financial  Fair Play rules.

But of course you need somebody like Graham Carr, who has the distinct expertise of knowing a good player when he sees one.

That’s a very rare skill to have, which is why Mike Ashley tied down Graham to a long eight year deal on Tyneside last week.

Mike’s not daft.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Yes ED you are Right,

But,

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

• Beattie25

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

But with so many monkeys available you can find a fantastic one for peanuts.

• jesperfuglsang

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

…said Joey Barton as he was being paid 70k a week at QPR…

I’ll take the monkey any day of the week 😀

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That’s racist Indian. Ba and cisse are human beings. Not sure about obertan though. I think he’s undead

• Beattie25

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I think we are changing the face of football and I hope it continues this summer or else I’ll go mad.

• Beattie25

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Ha ha @ Cwarr

That’s wrong but funny

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

@beattie as long as the face of football isn’t obertan

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I better leave obertan alone. I actually can’t wait for him to get 7 goals and 10 assists

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

dont accuse me CWARR

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Would anyone here pay 6million for way rodriguez on fm let alone in real life?

• Beattie25

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He may be ugly but he is quick. And that’s all a girl wants these days.

• Colo-Sus

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

@Indian

For Peanuts we have bought:

Cabaye
    Tiote
    Ba
    Marveaux

Not many monkeys there, unless you are being racist like

@cwarr

Shut up you idiot that is not funny at all

@Beattie
    shame on you for saying it is as well, come on mate!

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Indian i was joking don’t worry.

• Colo-Sus

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

@Cwarr

not funny at all, in case you have not guessed my ethnicity

You are a cretin

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I knew 😈

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Can Colo not take a joke…
    To think an Indian is being racist wow and talking about monkeys too – I know we worship Cisse on this blog but still

• Colo-Sus

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

its no Indian Hatem

it was Cwarr, and no not when race is involved in any way…

Never funny, and to even suggest it is proves your bone headedness.

I can joke like anyone else but some things should not be touched

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I did’nt even had a chance of basking in the glory of being FIRST

• Beattie25

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Colo-sus

He wasn’t being racist it was a take on the modern day political correctness gone mad.

I thought it was funny not beacusr he called 2 players monkeys but because that’s how socially inept we have become as a community that something like what Indian said could in real life terms be taken as Cwarr mentioned.

I do not condone racism or think the vile abuse is acceptable (remember my John Terry rant?). But I thought that Cwarr agave us a modern day representation of society at large.

I for one will applaud that.

• jesperfuglsang

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ben Arfa there a 1.4 billion people living in India, that is probably more than Europe.

Just for fun, what is your deffinition of racism? 🙂 I know no one is being a recist here

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I apologise for my fake accusation and the joke. It wasn’t meant to be taken as racist and i certainly didn’t mean it that way. I can only apologise if anybody has taken offense.
    Btw what did you think joey barton meant by his remark after we had just signed 3 non-white players?

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

@Colo,

I thought you were having a go at him for what he said about Obertan – my bad

• Colo-Sus

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@BEATTIE

I see your argument and if thats the case then fair enough

however in light of recent events re euros and Terry etc..

I think sensitivity needs to be hightened, I was not personally offended but I dont see why it needs to be discussed on here.

This is a blog about NUFC not Political Correctness or social diversity.

And the eay it was implied was not intelligent at all, it was idiotic

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

For goodness sake ita a saying, a proverb or an Idiom. it could be used in any other field.

Just how you all got onto racisim i have no clue.

//in.linkedin.com/in/himanshudhingra – I am not black but still, i am not a racist

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@jesper,

I was just pointing out that he could be quite as easily racially abused

• Indian Magpie

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM

1.25 billion, dont need more than we already have

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

@Colo

Let him go. He isn’t the only one who thought that was what Indian had implied.

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Beattie got my point exactly. And important surprised the press didn’t jump on the joey baron tweet that i mentioned in the last comment

• Colo-Sus

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Indian

its not you thats being accused mate calm down

@Cwarr

Fair enough, and as Beattie said PC is crazy these days, but its more intelligent to just stay away from any race issues or even comments that could be construed in such a way.

As I said I wasnt personally offended mate, just think before you type 🙂

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Back to football!
    Debuchy looks on his way to Inter now; they’ve put Maicon up for sale an are in talks apparently.

And on that note, I fancy a bit of beef.

• jesperfuglsang

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Indian

we will again tomorrow, then it is probably closer to 1.3 🙂 lol

…sorry, that was uncalled for and not fu,ny at all. Just couldn’t help myself.

• jesperfuglsang

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

talk again 🙂

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Colo i offer a heartfelt apology for my insensitivity and i shall never allude to any such thing again. I said something without thinking about how else it could be interpreted. I think racism is disgusting and ignorant and there’s no place for it in society. Again an apology to all.

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No racism but I for one, like many here, don’t give a rat’s ass about the population of India. Instead of boasting about how many people you have etc. sort out the poverty on your own doorstep (still exists here in the UK but not as badly).

Ok RANT OVER!

Can we buy Munaian please?

• ashwin say's

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

last till now

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Debut looked decent last night but im not sure we were ever in for him. Seems the press added 2 (Cabayes mate) and 2 (Simpson leaving) and got 8million

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Debuchy not debut

• Nick 69

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

graham cwarr – I think the fact that Pardew pretty came out and said we were looking at doing a deal for Debuchy was more the reason people think we were/are in for him, not just those other 2 factors

• graham cwarr

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

@nick what were pards words again?

• Nick 69

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

he was talking about how its been good for Cisse and Ba to have a close friend and countryman at the club and that’s why we’re now looking at doing a deal for a very close friend of Cabaye’s. I think we are/were clearly interested but now probably out of our reach as bigger offers from bigger clubs will probably start to roll in