Watershed Season For Top Newcastle Youngster Coming Up

Sammy Ameobi was having a breakthrough season last term, until he was injured in early January, and missed the rest of the season.

Sammy Ameobi – important season for 20 year Newcastle winger

But that was not before Sammy notched up 14 appearances with one goal for his home-town club – Sammy was born and bred in Newcastle – and two appearances for the England U21 side.

Sammy made two starts and 12 substitute appearances last season, and he was being used as an impact sub in the first team, when he picked up a knee injury playing for Newcastle Reserves.

The injury happened on January 10th,  during the game when Newcastle Reserves beat Wigan Athletic 3-1, and he sustained damage to his knee.

Sammy is fit again and will be looking forward to pre-season, which starts on Thursday 5th July, following the Euro 2012 final,  which is scheduled to take place on the previous Sunday.

Sammy is looking forward to the new season, and he could be alike a new player for Newcastle, and he had this to say on the Newcastle web-site:

“My aim now is to get a few more starts under my belt and work my way into the team on a regular basis,”  “I don’t just want to be a player who plays every so often.”

“Everyone wants to be in the team each week and I’m no different.” “That’s what I’m working towards and hopefully I can do that next season.”

Sammy is one of a number of top Newcastle youngsters, for which next season could be a really important season – a water-shed season if you like.

Top youngsters like Haris Vuckic, Mehdi Abeid, Shane Ferguson, James Tavernier and Sammy, will need to start coming through big time, if they are to have a future on Tyneside.

And manager Alan Pardew will be hoping to use the youngsters in some of the European games, as Newcastle face more games than last season, assuming we can get through the play-off tie in August,  and be part of the Europa League group games.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I bet this picture would never be on any one’s wall. scary!!!!!!!!!!

• Alinufc

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I can see in a couple years time front three of ameobi-cisse- Ben arfa (assuming they all stay….)

• Toon_Jock

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

If Sammy scores we’re on the pitch…..
    If Sammy scores we’re on the pitch…..

• shearerclass09

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Of topic but did anyone else see on ssn this morning that Abramovich want’s to buy ben arfa for 18 million ? haven’t heard any thing since ?

• toonruz

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM

shola is grooming him to take over as the new mackem slayer status when he finishes playing the game , and the ameobi fammilly will haunt the unwashed for years to come HWTL

• martoon

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I love the quote “I don’t just want to be a player who plays every so often.”
    i.e. Like my brother Shola 🙂

• danmuamua

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Can someone explain what qualities Ameobi possesses. He seems to have so much hype surrounding him and I personally think he is useless. He will never make it as a premier league player because he lacks quality. Feguson is another player who fans continue to rave about. Ok you can’t fault his work rate but is he really the future of Newcastle united, I don’t think so. He is championship at best. Vukic and Abeid could actually become first team players in years to come if their development is haddled correctly. Let’s hope we can develop better local players in years to come because for a region that lives and breathes football it’s not good enough and if Ameobi is the best player for his age in the north east then we should all start playing rugby.

• tanmag

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Thank you danmuamua, so very true every word. Never understood the hype surrounding the lad and think Ferguson, Vuckic & Abied are our front runner youngsters.

• TonyGreenSupreme

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Fail to undertsand the hype surrounding Sammy, he reminds me of Bambi on ice. Another Kazenga Lua Lua for me.
    Huge season ahead for Vukic another player who we are led to believe is a star for the future, some fleeting performances which have given a hint of his ability but injured far to often.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Ben Arfa will never go to chelsea. or shd i say they have plent already,

Hazard, hulk (probably), Marin, De bruyne, mata.

Not saying he is nt as good as them but i think they have plenty.

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Alright, so apart from Guttierez, Williamson and Ryan Taylor. Which of our main starters from last season have not been linked with a move away?

• Whistler

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Toonruz

Love your thinking mate….

• toonincheek

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Hasn’t Willo been linked with someone?

• Oldgit1

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Wish so called supporters get off Ameobi back, that guy has given his all over the years blighted by injuries which was not his fault.
    Ex and current .
    players rate him highly for his committment and dedication and they all agree that he has been very unlucky with injuries over the years.
    I would prefer him on the bench than the Alan smiths of this world with their high wages. Him and cissie would still be a good combination up front when needed.

• Nick 69

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

if Abramovich does want Ben Arfa as that suggest, he’ll have to pay through the nose, simple. Will take an offer of over £30million, his £18mill would be laughed at. We sold Carroll for £35mill who cost us nothing and has about 1/10 the talent, so why would we sell a much much better player who cost us £7mill in total for £18mill

• danmuamua

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Bambi on ice is giving him to much credit. I played northern league for the past 5 years and I’ve played against lads his age with more ability but it’s all about luck in life and it certainly helps when you have a brother playing for the toon. Let’s face it shola if it wasn’t for the fact shola is a local lad and scores regularly against the mackems he would be shipped out. I would like to know who does the local recuiting because it’s a disgrace that we do not produce good local players.

• Nick 69

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Oldgit1 – actually, its you who needs to get off the fans back, read the article, and the comments and then comment, as if you did, you would know this thread and comments are about SAMMY, not Shola Ameobi. Nobody has mention Shola

• danmuamua

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I wish gosling was linked with a move. Utter shite.

• danmuamua

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The Laudrup brothers, the De Boer brothers, the Neville brothers, the Charlton brothers, the Toure brothers and wait for it the Ameobi brothers. Shola is obviously a fantastic trainer as his performances on the pitch are very average.

Vuckic and Abied are big players for the future of the club but we need more coming through.

• Lee Dodd

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The Main Aim is We Keep The Team We currently Have and Buy 4 or 5 Quality New Players + Bring The Youngsters On. I Would Like to See Haris – Sammy and Young Shane Get a Run next Season … Roll On The New Season This Summer Break is Bloody Terrable With No St James park to Attend ..

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

danmuamua Are you sure you played at step 5 football because your comments on here are from someone who appears to know nothing at all about football at any level

• danmuamua

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Geordiedoonsooth everyone is entitled to their opinion but I stuggle to see what I have said that indicates I know nothing about football. I’ve said that for a region that loves football it’s a disgrace that we don’t produce more players of premier league quality, which is true. I also said that if Ameobi is the best player for his age group we may aswel stop playing because he is very average to be kind to the lad and I don’t think he would have been at the club if it wasn’t for Shola. Shola is a fantastic professional and gives his all but he isn’t good enough but fans seem to be blinded by this because he scores against Sunderland. I also said Shane ferguson is a work horse but hasn’t shown anything when given time to be touted as a great player for the future and I don’t see him being a premier league player. If you can tell me what it is I said that makes me know nothing about football then feel free.

• Grafton83

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM

danmuamua they’re developing players nowhere near the finished article yet, with time they will improve and both Ferguson and Ameobi have plenty of potential to play in the premier league.

I don’t think we’ve got Sami on the books just because his brothers here, I think he’s here on merit and your bambi on ice comments are insulting. Hopefully over the next few years we will see them more and more, time will tell and we’ll see whose right but if they work hard they’ll do just fine for us.

• danmuamua

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Grafton- tell me what qualities Ameobi and Ferguson have other than being young and that they work hard. That is simply not good enough. So you are telling me Ameobi is the best player for his age group in the north east?

• Grafton83

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Pace and Skill.

Also if he’s being called up for England U21 side he is probably one of the best in his age group for that position in the whole country nevermind just the Northeast