Colo – My First Year Was Tough But Future Good At Newcastle

Coloccini cost about £10.4M when Newcastle signed him from Deportivo de La Coruña in August of 2008, and he’s turned out to be an excellent buy for the club even though he was brought in by then Director of Football Denis Wise.

Fabricio Coloccini – Newcastle United captain and star defender

And then manager Kevin Keegan was not surprisingly involved in bringing the 34 times capped Argentine International to Tyneside.

But like many other Newcastle players at the time, Colo found it hard that season in the Premier League and all kinds of bad things happened at Newcastle, including Kevin leaving in early September, just after the Argentine had arrived on Tyneside.

It ended up of course with Newcastle being relegated, but over the last three years Newcastle have come storming back and finished 5th top of the Premier League last season.

Coloccini confirmed today that he found it hard in that first season he had this to say to the Daily Mail today:

“I knew I could play here, so I came,”  “But the first year was hard.” “That’s why I wanted to be here – because I wanted to prove to myself I could play in this league.”

“It was really difficult, but it wasn’t about how much Newcastle paid for me,” “I came here after playing in Italian and Spanish football, and, for me, it was different.”

“I’m happy at Newcastle – I think the future is good here.”

One of the best things that happened for Colo was that he had a season playing in the Championship, and that toughened him up in his physical play, and he’s been excellent in the Premier League for Newcastle,  since we were promoted two years ago.

And Colo was so good last year that he made it into the PFA Premier League Team of the Season, and rightfully so too.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is no fool,  and he appointed Fabricio his captain last July, for the departed Kevin Nolan, and was keen to sign him up for a prolonged stay at the club.

And the manager was successful in doing that earlier this year,  and Coloccini will now be at Newcastle for at least the next four years.

Fabricio Coloccini has turned out to be a great buy for the club, and he can lead the Magpies  back to great things,  in his time remaining at Newcastle.

Well that’s what we are hoping for. 😀

Comments welcome.

• AussieTom

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

The only smart thing Desin Wise ever did.

• Toonboy_84

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Wasn’t Colo here before wise?

• barkerslovesnufc

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Love colo! Hope he stays here for the rest of his life! Lol

• TorqToon

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

@davidmcrossan: #Bedimo the best LB in @Ligue1 last season. Gets up and down left flank. Really athletic Cameroon international. Late developer #nufc

Not sure if anybody has heard of this lad before but he is a VERY goo prospect and given that we’ve not been linked with him in the past and is a relative unknown…there could be some truth in it.

• AussieTom

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

na, colo came in august 2008 and wise joined in january 2008

• geordiejamie89

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I remember how bad he was in his first season, and how amazing he was last season, like two different players. Perhaps Williamson can go on to be in team of the year . . . . . or maybe not.

• Klatoon

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Capt. Colo’s my favourite toon player. Love it when he skins forwards by the byline after he feints to clear the ball.

That Bedimo lad from Montpellier, good attacking LB but his age makes it unlikely to happen under Ashley’s transfer policy.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I think Collo has more than matched his price tag in the last couple of seasons, yes in the beginning he struggled but the guy has adjusted his game to suit and is reaping the rewards for that now.

It’s still a little funny how there are still some on here that are a little more than obsessed with his shortcomings as they are always pointing “he is too slow, he is too short can’t jump bla bla bla.

Yet he makes it into the PFA Premier League Team of the Season and as Ed says rightly so.

To the detractors on here we all develop to our strengths and weaknesses and Collo’s no different, he developed a footballing brain to overcome his lack of speed if he were faster then there is every chance he would not see the game in the same way.

Think Mica Richards for manshitty he is fast, probably one of the fastest defenders in our game, does not get to play as he won’t/can’t play to tactics does not use his brain as he think his speed will get him out of trouble.

So start looking at players for what they are and not for what they are not and you will find life a lot more relaxing following NUFC. 😉

• jakesome

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM

@6 williamson has never been as bad as collo was in his first season

• jakesome

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

and will never be as good as he was last season

• magpie6699

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Great defender, good captain and a very decent man. Now he is close to being a genuine Toon “legend”.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Beattie 25. In response to your previous blog on the “debate” on allowing Scottish clubs into English leagues. My comment was that allowing any Scottish teams in would not benefit English clubs. You mention increased revenue that would be generated by Rangers an Celtic’s inclusion in the Premier League. I stated that the only reason for including them would be financial.
    I can gaurantee you this, if the boot was on the other foot they would not let an English club anywhere near their premier division. In fact
    Oh and try and keep any debate civil.

• Paps

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

One of our only legends at cb. proper defender

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Absolute legend.. dying to see him lift something this season!! 🙂

• XtraTimeAndPens

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I must say, I do love watching Coloccini play. It’s like watching an old-fashioned sweeper like Beckenbauer or Baresi. Always looking to cover when someone is out of position, great on the ball, comfortable stepping out into the midfield. A real joy to behold. I think we have a bit of a soft spot for elegant centre halves in Newcastle. Philippe Albert will always be remembered fondly, I think.

In other news, I’ve written a blog post on Liverpool at http://www.extratimeandpenalties.com, which you might enjoy. Partisan loyalties aside, that is.

• Grafton83

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I want curly hair too.

• toonincheek

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Ah, Philippe Albert – a chip off the old block!

• thepict

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

@13 our only legend at CB. You never saw John Mcnamee then?

• Graeme

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The Pict – our only “defender” to top the own goals table three seasons in a row – what a beast of a player. McNamee wasnt the most subtle defender but by god he laid it on the line!!