Yohan Cabaye’s Fantastic First Year Since Signing For Newcastle

When Yohan Cabaye arrived on Tyneside last June, he had played only a couple of times for the France national side, but Newcastle fans still knew that this lad was a very good player, and a terrific buy at just €5M.

Yohan Cabaye – scored his first ever France goal against Ukraine

He was another of Graham Carr’s signings, and we just hope that other top players Newcastle are after this summer, his big pal Mathieu Debuchy in particular, understand just how far Cabaye has come in a short twelve months on Tyneside.

Yohan’s career has literally taken off at Newcastle, and he is now a regular starter for France, who seem to have recovered from their disasters in Sooth Africa at the World Cup, when then captain Patrice Evra led them on a strike from training – you talk about player power.

Newcastle have had Mathieu lined up for a while now, and he’s supposedly told Yohan that he wants to join Newcastle, but with his excellent displays for France recently, and especially against England, both Chelsea and Inter-Milan have been alerted to the lad, and may come after him, once the Euro 2012 Championships have completed.

Yohan also scored his first goal for France last Friday in France’s rather easy 2-0 win over host country Ukraine, and he had this to say to the press:

“Sometimes I cannot believe what has happened to me over the last 12 months. It has been incredible.” “To score a goal for my country at a major championship is something that I dreamed about. It was a great moment for me.”

“I had a fantastic season in England where I managed to settle into my new life at Newcastle,  and I feel I have come out of it a much better player. So let’s see where we can go in the Euros because every game is different and difficult.”

“How did it feel to score? I felt great joy and also relief.” “Then you start thinking of your children, so I of course thought of my little daughter. I think these are special moments that will stay with you forever in your career.”

“But in the end what counts is the win for the team and I was just lucky enough to score.”

Good words from Yohan there, and we are still hoping, after a fantastic first year at the club, that he can persuade Mathieu Debuchy to join him,  in the Tyneside revolution.

And at least if the French right-back arrives at Newcastle in a few weeks time, it’s because he wants to come, with other bigger clubs likely to be interested in signing him.

We can only wait and see, but it could still happen.

For the record,  Cabaye has played for Newcastle 38 times with 5 goals and 9 assists,  and he has 15 appearances for France with one goal.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Now that’ a title that fit like a glove

• Ben Arfa (Either love him or Hatem)

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

• cupiddstunt

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

So many posters complain about Ed’s article titles but I doubt anyone will complain about this one.

I just hope we can hang onto him for a while

If the club has wage increments/bonuses that keep pace with our success which is generally the way MA works then we may well keep the players interested in staying long time

• davybtoon

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

What I find funny is why has took the fans this long to realise debuchy is class I said weeks ago if he ain’t signed b4 the euros forget it he’s to good were arsing around over a few mill

• davybtoon

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

And debuchy twitter account is fake I mean posts links about him being liked with clubs no player does that

• Beattie25

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I am with you davyb

This deal shouldve been done way before June!!

• davybtoon

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Shud done debuchy deal in may its not like we didn’t kno he would b playing with sagna injury

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

guys when does the premier league fixture will release

• pbNcl

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM

From the previous post : big shola aint for sale fat sam gan take a hike!!!! Super shola sleeps in the ground so I hear, eating mackem’s who wander round newcastle bewildered by the noise and lights of a proper city. He eats them whole.

As for cabaye, GET DEBAUCHY TO SIGN PLS !!!!

• SupaToonKid

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Tomorrow Roshan i think

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

cupiddstunt and Davybtoon

“If we haven’t agreed a few with Lille yet we may as well kiss Debuchy goodbye. Richer clubs will come in for him and we’d have no chance of competing with them.”

To me he was not wrapped up before EUROS its over…he is gone to Chelski or somebody else our fault entirely as usual.

• SupaToonKid

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

ROSHAN

Yeah just checked they get released tomorrow!

• snowdone

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Come on you Debuchy know-alls! Give the guys at the club a break! We could hardly buy him in May with the season still ongoing in France. He’s signed a long term deal with Lille. It will take a larger fee to land him. Pardew alluded to the fact that the Euros would complicate possible deals. This could be one of them. Patience is always hard, especially now, I admit.

• pbNcl

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Players like tiote and cabs joined us because they believed in the dream, they didn’t come for money, they bought into our ethos. They heard about the geordie pride. Same could be said about dabauchy, not all players are motivated by big bucks. We must just be patient, and have faith in our recruitment team.

• SupaToonKid

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

For all we know a deal for Debuchy is already in place and all he has to do is come have a medical and sign on the dotted line. Newcastle do their deals quietly and don’t allow the agents of players to go out telling SSN or the Mail that we’re so far down the line. Did any of you know Cisse was signing? NO! It looked at one point that he’d be more likely being Bent’s replacement on Wearside but no we conducted ourselves secretly and professionally and got the deal done!

Anyway even if Debuchy was to sign for Chelski it wouldn’t be the end of the world as surely it would free up a move for Gregory van der Wiel to come to Tyneside. Though i would prefer Debuchy, van der Wiel has the potential at a younger age to be even better than Mathieu so it wouldn’t be hugely dissapointing if that scenario occured.

Despite this i believe Chelski will sign van der Wiel as they’ve continuously watched him over a long period of time and i expect Debuchy to sign for us because of his friendship with Yohan. Although i think Debuchy is friends with Hazard as well as Yohan so it really comes down to who is his better friend. Either way Debuchy or van der Wiel would be a massive upgrade to Danny Simpson! I have faith in MA, AP, DL & GC that they will deliver us some quality players, fingers crossed on of those is Mathieu Debuchy.

• cupiddstunt

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I understand that there are some posters that will argue that I am being pedantic but what’s all this about “richer” clubs than us?

I personally believe that there are not very many “richer” clubs than us, yes there are a lot of clubs that are prepared to throw a lot more money at players than us.

Most of the “bigger” clubs are carrying debt at a far higher level than us which means they are not “richer” and very few clubs have the backing of a billionaire.

We are quite unique in the football market in as much as we do not “have” to sell in order to buy or try to improve MA did say in the beginning that he was prepared to lose up to 30mil a year with NUFC although the fair play is stopping the club owners subsidies.

Common sense is the only thing that stops NUFC from paying stupid money to players

So think about it NUFC don’t pay the crazy prices anymore out of choice, so it’s not a case of we can’t pay but won’t pay the crazy demands of the greedy.

I would much sooner we kept to the current policy of trying to find the next Kabaye at sensible money than pay the stupid demands of the likes of your Hazzards and Martins that so many of you keep screaming we should go for.

Slow growth is generally a lot more stable and sustainable than quick growth and I think MA and the management have it going the right way.

• Crawfordladd17

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Hopefully Chelsea sign Van deer Wiel and What time tomorrow do the fixtures come out?

• toonincheek

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

cupid – quite right, it should be “bigger spending” or “more lavish” clubs, but ‘richer’ clubs gets the idea across.

Don’t think we are unique, though. MA has a sizeable loan to us, frozen, to be repaid one day.
    Other clubs have owners who are prepared to throw squillions in to their clubs.

Strange thing, though – if a cluib has a huge debt and a rich owner, why don’t they pay off the debt rather than paying interest? Ah, probably a tax benefit.

• DraperNUFC10

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Everyone follow me on twitter @Daniel_Draper95, I’ll follow back!!

• arctoa

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Completely off-topic, but I wish there was a system on this blog for registered members to up-rate or down-rate article comments. There’s far too much spam these days.