Mike Ashley Number 491 On Forbes Billionaire List – Worth £1.6B

In the most recently published World’s Billionaires by Forbes magazine, the Newcastle owner is in 491st position, and worth around $2.5B, which translates to about £1.6B with today’s exchange rate.

Mike Ashley – worth around £1.6B

This is what Forbes magazine said about the Newcastle United owner:

Michael Ashley is a reclusive tycoon who does not shy away from bold business moves. He recently upset the British soccer establishment by renaming Newcastle United’s sports stadium the Sports Direct Arena, after his company.

A shrewd negotiator who prefers casual dress, he turned his retail chain into a sports clothing empire, netting $1.8B in a 2007 IPO. He still owns a 71% stake and remains executive director. Sports Direct’s stock price rose in 2011 on strong earnings despite a difficult U.K. economy.

Ashley pocketed $140M last year, when Sports Direct bought 32 stores he was leasing. Right after becoming a billionaire, he bought Newcastle United, then tried to sell it twice. He still owns the Premier League soccer club to the chagrin of some fans.

Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, is listed at number 68, and worth $12.1B.

The richest person in the world is Mexico’s Carlos Slim Helo worth about $69B, followed by Bill Gates on $61M, and his friend Warren Buffet on only $44B.

Have a look to see if you are on the list, I couldn’t find my name – must have slipped off the list over the last year. 😀

• tenpointnine

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Must remember to buy a lottery tocket.

• tenpointnine

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Or even better, a TICKET!

• toon-crazy

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I mean imagine , if one of these Carlos helo gave us 500,000 grand
    How much it would mean to us common citizen they probably make that in 20 mins !! :'(

• tenpointnine

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Typical, first post and I make a balls of it!

• NuFc RoB

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

interesting tweet made by a mathieu debuchy account on twitter, whether or not the account really is mathieu remains to be seen but https://twitter.com/#!/MathieuDebuchy tweeted on sunday ‘#nufc #newcastleunited’ check it out lads

• jayphoto

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

@5 its not him! That account was tweeting whilst France were actually playing the other night!

• jayphoto

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Anyone ever see mike Ashley on the secret millionaire years ago? Seemed a really nice guy actually! As much as id love to see us sign hazard, hulk, llorente etc I love the way our club is run!

• rich_toonfan

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Just a little topic to discuss. Are we better than spurs for next year?

Gk we are equal of not better
    Rb walker over Simmo
    Lb Santon over eckotto
    Cb collo and willi over gallas and Dawson
    Dm tiote over Parker
    CAM cabaye over van der vaart , similar though
    Cm Modric over Jonas
    LW bale over Ba in that position
    Rw benny over Lennon
    Cf cisse over Defoe

We have a good chance of being ahead of spurs and Liverpool, think Chelsea and arsenal might pull away win the Manchester clubs though

• tenpointnine

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Its funny, but when I read yesterday that Graham Carr is being ‘dispatched’ to the Euros to watch Debuchy, I think ‘Hang on, hasn’t he been doing that for the last 2 years?’
    Debuchy has been good at the Euros bombing forward, but we haven’t seen much defending from him to be able to judge his defensive capabilities. I would have liked to have seen him against Walcott, as an example.

• alkinou

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I’ve just seen this on eurosport.fr :

DEBUCHY: GARCIA IRONISE SUR L’OFFRE DE NEWCASTLE. Dans 20 minutes, l’entraîneur de Lille Rudi Garcia évoque l’intérêt de Newcastle pour son défenseur Mathieu Debuchy: “Il est tiraillé entre jouer la Ligue des champions dans le Grand Stade et aller voir ailleurs. Après, on n’a pas du tout prévu de le remplacer […] Même si je crois que Newcastle a envoyé par fax une offre de 4 millions de livres (5 millions d’euros). Mais ils ont dû se tromper de joueur…”
    (http://www.eurosport.fr/football/transferts/2012-2013/liveevent.shtml)

Basically Lille’s manager (Rudy Garcia) is saying that Debuchy’s hesitating between playing Champions League with Lille and goign elsewhere. He also says that he doesn’t plan to replace him even if Lille recieved an offer of 4mil pounds by fax from Newcastle. He then adds that it must be for the wrong player (he thinks that the offer is really too little)

It seems unlikely that Newcastle would raise their offer enough to actually get Debuchy I think

• mecannylad

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I can’t help but smile how a blog penned by an ex-pat Geordie who hasn’t lived in the North East in yonks can feed the thirst of all those parochial mugs who still swim in the goldfish bowl that is Tyneside.
    Don’t get me wrong; I am fiercely proud of my Geordie roots and in my time have attended SJP for more than 1,000 competitive games … but Mecannylad actually finds living outside the area significantly improves the myopic view of life held by those who haven’t got the balls to cross the Tyne Bridge.

• Matt

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Carlos Slim Helo fancy buying Newcastle ?

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hmmm. Plugging the site again mecannylad? Not sure if the Mike Ashley approach will work for you mate. So you’ve hardly missed a game in 30 years?

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

@mecannylad

What mind altering drugs have you been smoking this morning, and btw the only mug on this blog is u

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Not sure about myopic but I do take a dim view of peddlers coming onto random blogs in order to get people to follow them on twitter or browse their irrelevant site to scaffold their ego or browse their questionable wares or ideas. Try facebook or ebay will ya and stop bothering us.

• graham cwarr

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Mecannylad. Climb out of your own arse mate. And stop plugging yourself every time you come on. Total muppet.

• Dannyo

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

The debuchy account is fake, fake, fake, fake, fake.
    Did i mention it was fake?

• mondziu

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

@ Tsunki

He’s talking only about games at St. James’, so either you count ca. 65 competitive games a season or you should double it to 60 years.

Anyhow, I was as drained of any hope of ridding Xisco as the next guy, but came to think of it today and I reckon we do have a chance this year.

It’s the last year of his contract and he’s still 25, he surely hopes to play on. If he wants to play football this season and show his worth to a potential new employer (he surely is going to need one next year), he should agree to lower wages, so that we do not pay him anymore while he’s on loan.

We got rid of Luque before his contract ran out, maybe Xisco will decide he’s rich enough…

• Novocastrian66

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Never missed a home game in around 40 years while living outside the region. Total dedication. Or total bull. Which is it mecannylad?

• toonarmydownsouth

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Mecannylad myopic view? Wtf have u been smoking your site is a bunch if p1ss poor attempts at humour that look like they were penned by freddy star your sites not funny or intresting a bit like your posts really stopping plugging ur sh1te here and stay hidden in your shack on the lake district you absolute tosser

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Rich – Ekotto is pretty good mind. Santons almost there. Will Tayls be back in time for spuds? Will Simmo be in that position by that time, if not – I reckon his replacement will be better than walker. Maybe the same if Ba goes?

Damn! We are going to trash Spurs!

• graham cwarr

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

@tsunki he would have had to have been at every home league game for over 30 years years and home cup games too. And lives out of the area too?
    Mecannylad must travel some. Or be quite old. You’d think i on his travels or in his years he’d have learned not to insult a toon fan to plug his own web page. Knob.

• graham cwarr

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Guys im excited to see what marveaux is capable off

• Matt

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Mecannylad if I wanted to hear from an asshole I’d fart

• Matt

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Mecannylad if I wanted to hear from an arsshole I’d fart

• toonincheek

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Matt – a good one-liner – I’ll remember that.

• hdavid23

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

speaking of spurs…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-OS3gHwnk this is still great to watch

• geordiesteve520

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Dannyo, do you know if that Debuchy twitter account is the real deal?

• mecannylad

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Mecannylad is sorry for stirring the waters in the goldfish bowl.
    Are you ready for some simple maths? I am 70 years young. As a lad and a young man and for 19 seasons from 57/58 I attended every first team and reserve fixture at SJP ( I said competitive games) Since then I have averaged 10 games per season. There’s my 1000 games.
    Thanks to the tens of thousands who follow me …. and bu**er off to those who don’t. Howay the lads.

• Tsunki

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I was right then.

But it would be a lot easier if just you b••ered off. See you!

• toonincheek

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

mecannylad – if you say so.

I find that most 70-year olds have mellowed a bit.
    I guess there is always the exception . . . .

• DraperNUFC10

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Add me on twitter @Daniel_Draper95 I’ll follow back 🙂 HWTL

• tooninspain

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Draper…..go and boil ya heed.