Pardew – Spain Will Be Very, Very Difficult To Beat

While Alan Pardew hopes that England do well, like all the rest of the England fans, in the Euro 2012 Championships in Poland and the Ukraine, he still thinks Spain will be hard to beat, and that Germany is probably the next best team in the tournament.

Alan Pardew – picks Spain and Germany

For England fans the lads have played well so far, well at least the results have been very good but the performances against both France and the Ukraine were all on the defensive and to progress surely England have to attack more against  Italy on Sunday night.

On ESPN in the US, Michael Ballack is one of the pundits, along with Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, and both could have good futures in broadcasting, as they obviously know the game inside out, and offer good analysis.

Pardew thinks England can beat Italy in their Euro 2012 quarter-final clash on Sunday, and if they can do that this will be the best England have done since they reached the semi-finals of Euro 1996 – when we wet on to be beaten by Germany in the semi-finals, and the same thing could happen this time around.

In 1996 England won their group with 7 points and beat Spain in the quarter finals on penalties (4-2) after it had ended 0-0 after extra time.

And in the semi-finals Germany beat us on penalties 6-5 after the game had ended 1-1 after extra time, with a certain Alan Shearer scoring after 3 minutes and of course the then Blackburn striker had scored with both his penalties in the two shoot-outs and went first each time.

He joined Newcastle later that summer, and 206 goals and 404 appearances later, the rest is history.

The 50 year-old Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has been impressed with England’s performances and results so far, and had this to say on the Newcastle web-site:

“I haven’t been able to take my eyes off it,” “There’s been some fantastic games and I’ve enjoyed it – it’s been a brilliant tournament.”

“I’m looking forward to the final stages of it now where it really gets interesting and am looking forward to hopefully seeing England beat Italy and qualify for the semi-finals.”

“However, when it comes to winning it I still think that Spain will be very, very difficult to beat. The only other team who has a really outstanding chance of competing at that level is Germany, so I would go for one of those two to win it.”

We think France will have a decent chance of beating Spain on Saturday night, and that  England can squeeze past Italy, but England will have to show some attacking prowess at some point in that game.

And it’s good to hear that Roy Hodgson is concentrating on his players practicing penalties,  because it’s likely a few of these games will not go to penalties after extra time.

We wonder if goalkeeper Joe Hart will be one of the penalty takers?

• Tsunki

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Tell us something we dont know Alan.

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

But plausible.

• Level 7 Hero

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Following the De Jong article…

Not to sure about Luuk De Jong myself. He’s a great player no doubt, but all this transfer speculation would be much better if we actually knew what formation we will be playing next season, and we could have an idea how the players we are linked with / buy will fit into our team next season.

Whether it be 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I am, and I think most over fans are hoping to see the 4-3-3 used next season.

If its 4-3-3 I’d much rather have in the front line:

WINGER A. CISSE. WINGER B.

Than:

DEMBA BA. CISSE. DE JONG.
    (Strikers used as wingers).

At times last season we did lack width on the left, with Demba Ba natually drifting in field because of his striking instincts, it left Davide Santon all alone on that wing. Even then, being a right footer at full back, he would 9 times out of 10 cut inside for a shot or pass, rather than crossing it in with his left. And in a midfield 3, Jonas definetly doesn’t supply his normal width in a midfield 4, getting dragged into midfield battles with Cheik and Yohan.

I think its vital in a 4-3-3 we DO NOT use strikers as the outer 2 players upfront, and they have to be wingers, so they are pacey enough and good and getting the ball in the box.

De Jong realistically isnt going to come in (or any stiker we may get in the end) and dislodge Cisse, so where will he play?

HOWEVER if we were to get Debuchy, and a highly attacking left back to give Santon competition, Pards could just go, lets just try and smash the opposition and the full backs can be the wingers. If they are good enough to fill that role abd we have 3 goalscorers in the box that could be itneresting.

OR IF WE PLAY 4-4-2, obviously with 2 strikers… Cisse, Ba, De Jong & Shola would be an amazing 4 to choose from, all different players with different attributes, however, would they be paying a reported 12M for potentially a back up striker?

Whos knows. I trust Pardews judgement anyway, but 12M seems alot considering Bas Dost went for 7.5M or around there and he scored more than De Jong last season in Erividise.

To clarify I think De Jong has huge potentially to be in the Dutch team for the next 12 years, and be a great player, but I hope they are thinking of the system to adopt rather than just selecting a top goal scorer in the French / Dutch / German league and just thinking he’ll work like Cisse.

I have FAITH though, hoping to see a cheeky bosman in the coming days of some unknown obscure midfield mystro.

*I used the figure 12M in my comment. That can be swoped with 10M, 9M, 11M, 13M. If its anything over 8M I think he will have alot to prove.

Saying that, how much is Cisse worth now after half a season from around 10M, maybe 20M?

We’ll have to see…

• Tsunki

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Anyone we meet in the upcoming matches will be difficult. I think the Germans will be the ones to crack though, the Spanish system is being sussed – you just have to get all your men behind the ball and catch them on the break late on when they are shattered from running sideways all game. Andy Carroll will break their spirit, and Walcott will be the spear head that will kill them. There, job done.

• Tsunki

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

L7 – epic post. De jong for me is an eredivisie player. That means essentially unproven for life in the PL. Despite what his agent is saying about multiple interested parties, I doubt it, also that we will pay top price. For me, if another club offers more than €10m, we should move along. But its not gonna happen.

• 2_goal_tino

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

@ Level 7 – I know everyone keeps saying that the players we’re after are not necessarily replacements but I just can’t see this transfer going through unless Ba leaves. He can play in the middle with Marv and HBA either side of him during ACON and then do the Ba role the rest of the time.

Either way he’s a top quality player who i’d love at the club.

• Level 7 Hero

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

@ Tsunki

Yes I agree, something just doesn’t add up. It is promising of hearing bids of:
    Anita 4M,
    Debuchy 4/5M,
    De Jong 10M
    Curtis Good $600,000

But how many are actually true and are around the figure quoted is debatable. Didnt think we’d have anywhere near this much money to spend (reportedly) this summer.

• Level 7 Hero

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

@ 2 Goal Tino

Definetly, I’d love to have him, just at the right price.
    The Cabaye and Tiote transfers (and how they’ve turned out) have left my feeling bad if we are even linked with paying over 5M for someone, thinking nobodys worth it!

Ba is a tough topic like, I reckon if Redknapp was still at Spurs he probs go. But not now. Then again they reckon its Levy who do all the deals up there.

We’ll seeee.

• Tsunki

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

IF and I mean IF we are the winning bid, and Ba ends up staying, expect this lad to `fail his medical` ha ha.

• Level 7 Hero

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

@ Tsunki

Haha…Yeah he’ll proberly pull a Maiga.
    See he’s been linked with Reading and West Ham had a bid rejected for him some said.
    Wouldnt mind seeing what we are missing like if he moves to the PL!

• seanp

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Suspect that De Jong is seen as playing on the left of a 433 as he has shown he can play there in Holland. Das Bost I believe is less able to do that and wouldn’t displace Cisse so was overlooked. My biggest concern is that success in Holland doesn’t always translate into success in England. ask the smoggies about Alves!!

• danmuamua

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Personally I would rather have a smaller, faster more technical striker such as Suarez or Teves (personalities aside). When I mention those names it’s only an example I don’t actually want to sign Suarez or Tevez before people start calling me delusional. Looking at De Jong he seems more of a target man than a striker who will run the channels and get in behind defenders. I’m hoping that we don’t get him. It’s not always a guarantee that if you score goals for fun in the Dutch league you will do the same in England just look at the likes of Kezman, Kuyt, Alvez and Ruiz to name a few.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Tsunki

I was just wondering why Spain were world and european champions