Are Newcastle Interested In This Spanish Center-Back?

News today that West Ham have made a £4M bid for Racing Santander center-back Alvaro.

Alavaro tackles Lionel Messi last season with eyes closed

The 22-year-old is said to be highly rated in Spain, although he has not been selected for any of the Spanish youth sides.

West Ham’s Sam Allardyce and Atletico Madrid are said to be interested in the 6′ tall youngster, who has only ever played for his home town club.

Racing Santandar finished bottom of the Spanish league last season, with only 27 points, and a full 10 points behind second bottom club Sporting Gijon, and surprisingly Jose Enrique’s old club Villareal were the third Spanish club relegated.

We suppose Alvaro could be picked up on the cheap, although £4M sounds a bit much for an untested youngster, especially for a first bid, and he has no International experience, and we would think Graham Carr could find better value elsewhere.

And Newcastle are always interested in a good deal, and they want to get value for their money in the transfer market, unlike in days of old.

Alvaro-  full name Alvaro Gonzalez Soberon – joined the youth ranks of his home-town club Racing de Santander, and played for the Reserves 23 times in season 2009-2010 in the Spanish third division.

Alvaro made his first team debut only in May of last year, playing 82 minutes in a 2–0 home win against RCD Mallorca, Jonas Guttierrez’ former club.

But Alvaro then became the first team choice the season, and he played a total of 37 games for Racing Santandar with one goal last season.

It wouldn’t appear this guy is on Newcastle’s radar screen, but we’d like to know which center-backs are on the list at Newcastle.

Center-backs Newcastle may still be after include 23 year-old Montpellier captain, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa,  and Toby Alderweireld, the 23 year-old Ajax and Belgium center-back.

But we’re out of the race to sign Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen, who will be moving to manager-less Tottenham,  and Newcastle have tired of  FC Twente’s Brazilian center-back Douglas.

Maybe West Ham are bringing in Alavaro so Newcastle can get James Tomkins, who can play well at either center-back or defensive midfield – now there’s a thought!

• Beardo

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Nah, just nah.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Well that appears to be a pic of him NOT tackling Messi, and if he`s not going to kiss him, he should have his eyes open.

Repost for the sake of vengeant last wordery –

Ok been away so just to sweep up –

Cupid – well observed re my pope/rome statement it was indeed a silly saying and I think you spotted I was fooling around . Mixing metaphors is a pastime of mine in fact I usually say `does the pope live in the woods` and have been widely credited for coining the term ` rocket surgery` many many years ago, heard it on tv the other day and I thought about calling my lawyer….

In conclusion, DMAC – 1/10 for being able to read my post but a low mark for mistaking my juvenile and largely irrelevant musing for a `mishap`. You have need of humour you biff.

As far as the article goes, I wish I had the resolve to steer clear of the blog as he does but I cannot resist the urge to torment.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Er by *he I mean Ruddy. Oops.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I knew that, and I responded in previous thread 😉 haha

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

ha ha cheers Ruddy – we were worried about you, you know 🙂 Later mate, by which time we will have a shiny noo team rocketing towards euro and FA cup glory.

Hmm.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Well nice to see yer still with us Ruddy, is spirit if not in posting

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

It must be a slow news day if we’re getting connected with this guy

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Just to clear things up, the pope actually lives WITHIN Rome, actually in the sovereign city/state of the Vatican, unless he’s at his summer retreat in a castle somewhere cooler. And not all bears live or indeed sh*t in the woods.

Yes MFH it’s another very slow news day where we are linked with every flaming kid who kicked a ball in mainland europe. Desperate doldrum times. We will have to wait until the end of the euros (even though some teams have already been knocked out, I think that it is the preferred holiday with the missus and sproglet window for the ejectees).

• chris_g

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It’s all very well saying that it’s a slow news day, but you’ve got to ask yourselves the question “why does Ed keep posting these stupid articles?”

Oh sorry, I forgot. It’s all about the advertising revenue. Silly me 🙁

• Gateshead-Mag

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

chris_g

its not eds fault theres hardly no news, he doesnt make up the rumours and put them on here he uses different websites and papers reporting toon news and runours and puts them on here so we have sumthing to read and talk about.

so what if hes making money through advertising, its his website and its his right, a few years back there was much less advertizing but he still put these stories up through the close season for us all

dunno y some people are so cynical, am sure theres plenty other websites on the net for you to winge on

• rich_toonfan

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

what do people prefer?

1. Being currently linked with every young young players around europe where 99% of them will have not even been discussed in the club

or

2. When we were linked with the likes of Ronaldo (brazil) and other superstars?

I like our transfer policy but it makes for dull news stories

• rich_toonfan

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

• rich_toonfan

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I just don’t understand people on this blog.

If you do not like the articles don’t read them.

If you just want official transfers and not rumours just read the club site every day to see if anything is announced.

If, like me, you want to read a few rumours and have some banter with the people on here just be grateful there is a website you can share your views with other fans for free.

• Geordie by the grace of God

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM

As a free transfer we REALLY should be looking at Sone Aluko…
    So much less of a gamble without a fee.

• Beardo

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Chris_g

You do realise you came onto this website of your own volition?

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Chris_G

If you have the energy to p!ss and moan about an article you don’t like, you should certainly have enough energy to avoid it all together.

I simply do not understand the logic of coming onto an article, only to moan about it.

• ~Perchinho the Pheonix~

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM

No doubt, if ED did not post these articles and left it on the last one, Chris_G deemed Worthy, he would still complain. Only this time about there being a lack of updates.

• noir9

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@14 How much have you seen of Aluko? He wasn’t even guaranteed a game with the now deceased Ger’s

• Da7kside

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

really don’t understand why people come on here and moan about ed bring together the NUFC rumours and storys if you don’t like them don’t come on!!

simple like those who moan!!!

• Da7kside

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

had to login in due to the whiners like chris G… when all I want is to ready the rumours!!

any how as I’m in, I heard that we have upped our bid for De Jong to 14.9 million euros, I assume thats roughly £12million and its our last bid!! IF this is true I hope it pushes through our first deal with debaucy next week (just a guess that mind) 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Good news then chris G you should have to bother coming on the blog anymore then and waste your time and ours! Happy days enjoy the next blog you find ta ra n fcu k off

Really wish ED would post an article titled “my blog…. If you dont like dont read it simple”

By the way great work ed even at this slow time of year which drives us all stark raving mad!!!!

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

@Da7kside

I would never pay that for a 21 year old that has had one good season, and is unproven in the EPL

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM

chris_g unfortunately demonstrates saying something out loud before thinking first. Maybe you could alleviate your problem by submitting an article yourself?

I will make allowances for him he probably thought this bunch of weirdos would be the font of all inside knowledge and was disappointed we knew nowt either. 🙂

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

chris_g – I’m sure you’ve posted here before. Best move right now? ‘Sorry lads you’re right I didn’t think. Ed’s doing what he can I appreciate blah blah’…………

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

West Ham are interested in Shola Ameobi for £2.5m. Think we should cash in.

• HullMag6

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

First post, frequent reader.
    I am worried about another norwich match happening with no recognised cb. We are short of cover 2 more please.

• pbNcl

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Sam allardyce has a sense of humour. He would have more chance buying ronaldo from madrid

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM

@ ketsbia9

Shola vs rest of the premier league £2.5 million

Shola vs the mackems Priceless

• HullMag6

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

First post, frequent reader.
    I am worried about another norwich match happening with no recognised cb. We are short of cover 2 more please we cant rely on our core 3 staying fit for all fixtures.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

ONE TOON
    ONE SHOLA

Tell fat sam to fcuk right off!

• Indian Magpie

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Who said shola was Useless

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Hullmag

So am I.
    Options are:
    1) Specialist CB;
    2) Tall FB who can double up as CB.

Reckon we’ll sign someone who can fill both roles. Maybe a swift left footed CB who can fill as FB and allow Santon to switch for tactical reasons – or even personal preference.

Now who would fill the Left footed CB role who is fast and tall enough to be solid on set pieces ?

Any names ?

(got to be quality EPL standard and affordable)

• pbNcl

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yyyaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn

I think perch’ll do a good job next season, would like to see him sit next to tiote with cabs floatin about in front. Then maybe see amilfitano replace cabaye or tiote everynow and then.

We’ve probably got loads of variations available. Go on pardew son

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ok lads here is my stab at our best current starting 11

——————————Krul———————————-

—Simpson——Taylor——-(c)Collocini—–Santon—

—————————–Tiote———————————

——HBA—————Cabaye————-Marveaux——

——————Cisse—————-Ba————————–

subs: Amalfitano,Vuckic,Sammy,Shola,Perch,Fergusson

• pbNcl

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Cb’s a hard one. I haven’t even tried to approach that one mentally, I don’t wanna be in the position where were sweatin on cover again that’s for sure. I would even keep simmo and get a quality cb if it came to it.

There I’ve said it

• pbNcl

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I would start gutierrez

At least have him on the bench man haha

• Big Pappa Cisse

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

pbNcl

ha, completely forgot about him :), but honestly mate Marveaux is a class act and should be ahead of him in my opinion like

• cupiddstunt

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

chris_g @ # 9

It appears that you have succeeded where so many before you failed,,,

You have unified the blog, it is unanimous the blog residents think you are a turd of the first order.

Just on a point of interest what do you think Ed did over the years before he let out real-estate to advertisers on his web site (that still needed the bandwidth to be paid for).

Correctomundo you f**kwit he paid for it out of his own pocket so he deserves a little respect for the cost in time, effort and money that he has laid out for our pleasure.

Now *****ff and moan elsewhere.

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We won’t be able to sell Simspon. Nobody will want him. I think we need 2 centre backs, 1 left-back, 1 attacking midfielder, 1 right-footed winger and 2 strikers. That’s 7 players that we need in order to improve the first team squad.

• HullMag6

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Although I still believe there maybe some done deals out there but they are being kept quiet until after Euros and could be participants in smokescreen operations/comments.

1 2 3 5