Do Newcastle Need To Sign Another Center-Back This Summer?

Former Newcastle great Bobby Moncur is just one of the people who think Newcastle don’t particularly need another center-back to be signed over the summer, since a fit Steven Taylor, captain Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson can fight it out for the two central defense positions next season.

Steven Taylor – working hard to be super fit for pre-season

But usually in top sides, they have four strikers fighting it out for at most two positions and up front,  and similarly four central defenders fighting it out for the two center-back positions.

Newcastle do have a couple of decent youngsters coming through in defense,  in 17 year-old Remie Streete and Newcastle-born Paul Dummett, who turns 21 in September, not to mention young James Tavernier, who can also play center-back.

But we are still a little exposed, should one or two of the three top center-backs be injured or suspended during the season, which of course is exactly what happened last year.

Steven Taylor was in terrific form for Newcastle last season, until he injured his Achilles at the end of the Chelsea game in early December, and we are hoping he will come back as right as rain next month in pre-season.

Certainly Steven is busy working hard on his fitness at the moment, to be ready for when the pre-season starts in less than two weeks time, and he had this to say on the Newcastle web-site yesterday:

“Fitness-wise, I’ve just been maintaining my work rate and sticking to the program that Derek Wright, Dave Henderson and Michael Harding, the  Newcastle United physios have set for me.”

“I’m feeling good at the moment, and I’ve just got to keep on going. I’m going away with Derek for five days so we can work on my fitness in the heat, and I’ve no doubt he’ll run me into the ground.”

“We’re into the final stages now and I’ll be happy once all this running is finished. He trains me like he’s Rocky Balboa’s trainer and only lets me stop once I’ve collapsed on the floor!”

“But seriously, Derek and the rest of the team have been brilliant with me so far this summer and I owe them an awful lot.”  “In footballing terms, we’re into added-on time with the injury now, and I just have to keep going.”

“It’s sometimes like a 93rd minute run back from a corner, but you know you have to do it.”  “Hopefully, come pre-season, I’m going to be a little bit ahead of the rest of the lads fitness-wise.”

“I won’t push myself too hard the first week back, but I will be like an excited kid in a sweet shop because I’ve missed playing so much.”

Newcastle need Steven Taylor in top form again next season, and if he can play as well as he did last season he’ll be a starter, and that would be independent of who Newcastle bring in during the summer.

Two of the Magpies’ initial targets – Douglas of FC Twente and Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen – will not be arriving on Tyneside, and we have no idea who may be at the top of the list of center-back targets for Newcastle, at the moment.

Any ideas on that, and do you think we need another top center-back coming in?

We do – for certain.

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Does the pope live in Rome?

• Dannyo

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Being a good player doesn’t make one a good manager. That’s why Bob is only in the papers…
    Ofc we need a CB. We need that as much as i need to take a piss now and again.
    Cmon…

• Tsunki

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Well, does he? Just a random question. I thought he might have a flat there or something, handy for work and that.

We do need CB cover as it’s too much to ask Tav to step up to cover an injury atm. I can see the young lads getting a spot during early cup rounds but lack of cover last year exposed us and ruined our season really. Several games we got hammered in were actually winnable, just think where the points would have got us. Experienced CB to keep everyone n their toes and fighting for places please.

• markmac

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

of cause we do, more so than another striker imo! as much as we all love tayls, you always feel ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ he’s going to get injured

• SupaToonKid

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I think the main concern is Steven Taylor’s fitness as really Collocini and S. Taylor at the back in solid and we’d probably have gotten top 4 if Steven hadn’t gotten injured. This seems a recurring event though as Steven seems to always to be building up to becoming a starter for England and then and injury hampers his career. If Steven was not so prone to injury i’d suggest we looked at younger CB such as Lewis Dunk or Harry Maguire to be potential partner for Streete in the future but already with 1st team knowledge and ability so able to provide strong cover for Saylor, Willo and Collo. Of course Pards looks more likely to sign a far more experienced CB as he still has concerns over Steven and wants somebody who can just step in and compete straight away for a starting berth but personally if i was in Pards shoes i’d look at Cristian Zapata as he fills the profile but a young lad like Maguire wouldn’t go a miss neither.

• IITianToon

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Definitely need another CB in my opinion. Maybe not someone who will be top-choice, but certainly one who should be ahead of the reserve CBs.
    And I think Carr and co. must look at the German U-17, U-19 squads. Some real jewels sure to come up from there, given there structure and set-up.
    On another note, I absolutely can’t stand that Samaras. How he is such an important player for club and country I don’t get.

• tjrowe89

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

1million% yes we do, we need 2 new cb,s and a right back

• WWYCD

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Yes we do Colo is great, Saylor is alright but injury prone and Willo is good cover when fully fit but we are still yet to replace big fat Sol which was a big mistake

And tbf I’d have big fat Sol back as a coach any day of the week

• tjrowe89

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

1million% yes we do, we need 2 new cb,s and a right back and a winger

• Dre4mbo4t

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Without doubt we need another centre half, we need to improve on what we achieved last season, so that means getting a defender in like yanga-mbwia or alderweild would take us to another level at the back, in regards of our 3rd choice cb could be a French or belgian International, or trusty old big mike and perchinhio to choose from. Same goes for replacing Simpson for debuchy and Leon best for de Jong, I think pardew knows as does llambias, Ashley and Carr, to achieve nearly as much as we did this year we have to move with the times and sign some decent competition. I just hope big demba stays aswell, if he left for turkey, I would lose all faith in the modern day footballer.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Of course we do as has been said above. Saylor won’t last the season and Willo isn’t good enough if we have any ambitions of moving forward even more. Everton’s 3rd goal still gives me nightmares.

• No Plain Saylor

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

We shouldnt be lookin to sign cover for our cbs, we should be lookin for a quality cb that would be a match for colo. We are trying to improve the quality of the squad gettin rid of lovenpants, smith, guthrie, best, ranger, etc and bringin in players far better in the same positions. Nowhere is that need more than cb, but we’ve already missed out on vertonghon, douglas and mbiwa imo. So who? Id like zapata but think he’s of to milan..

• Swede

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The need of Centerback is a very specific one as well as the other players we get in… We can no longer aqquire cheap options as the players we should go for now are the ones we need.

De Jong for Forward
    Debuchy for RB
    MBiwa for CB
    Anita for DCM

I would love to see the youngsters have seveal new additions that can learn and prosper from being with our First team. So there should be addidions as well from the youth ranks. There are enough games for everybody next year. Both Severe challenges and educational games. There are several youth prospects that should be added.. Nikolai Boilesen from Ajax, Nathaniel Clyne, and Zaha from Crystaö Palace. And to wrap it all up a few free…. Hoilett and Martin Olsson Blackburn. Barnetta. There should be several opportinities for the players to show their worth. We need to bolster the team severely as it is the smallest team in while of PL… HWTL

• puretoon

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Yes we deff need a CB. Whilst Williamson’s had a fair season, he’s not quite up to Prem calibre so we need perhaps even more than one incase of injuries.

• YankeeToon

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

The days of knee jerk buy high days are over for Newcastle. Case in point Cisse. Last summer needed another striker to go along with an unproven Ba, Cisse was the target couldn’t get him then but didn’t overpay for someone else to fill a hole, waited and got Cisse in January.

The same will happen with any other position….CB….they said they want to bring in a solid defender with an offensive aerial threat, if the targets they have now won’t bite then they will wait till one does and use Colo, Taylor and Willo with Perchy being the emergency option. The same way Raylor was was used until Santon was ready.

There will be no emergency buys anymore….Newcastle are looking long term, not short.

• Kyo

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Our goals conceded last season tells you we need to sign a CB. How is this even a question?